Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

+63
Lucina
benorganasolo
MindAndMagic
Marie Ren
Krafty
Millicent the Cat
CienaRee
Blackcanary
adamdrivershair
bossbaby
Airemyn
MrsWindu
nemapasara
Armadeus
Mana
Acritiqua
soulluos
Saracene
Geralt_Riv
BenOrgana
Moonjump05
motherofpearl1
Irina de France
bashfulblueeyes3
BenSkywalker
jakkusun
Gemini
gwendy85
EchoBase
MeadowofAshes
Rei of Sunshine
panki
FrolickingFizzgig
ZioRen
Rimfaxe96
ladyconsular
SheLitAFire
Xylo Ren
tukicarreno
Birdwoman
kroi
Piper Maru
rey09
vaderito
Darth Rowan
SanghaRen
SoloSideCousin
Moonlight13
Darth_Awakened
Reylo Lemon
MelBee
Cowgirlsamurai
reylo1992
Kylo Men
Kyla Ren
Kessel
snufkin
ISeeAnIsland
ReyofLightSide
IoJovi
SkyStar
Helix
Darth Dingbat
67 posters

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram - Page 3 Empty Re: Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Post by IoJovi Wed 05 Jul 2017, 3:00 pm

vaderito wrote:Kesinger is commissioning anything that his clients ask him. Reylo, Soloist, anything. You don't believe that he actually knows where the story is going, do you? So when someone commissions a Reylo art, that means absolutely nothing, just like commissioning Soloist art doesn't mean anything. In fact, I'd love to commission a Reywalker art cause he didn't draw Luke yet and because I want to see what he makes of cousins. Very Happy
@vaderito

It was a joke.  Commission or not, he does a literal ton of Reylo centered pieces.  I was at least thinking that's where he believes the story is headed.
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonlight13 Wed 05 Jul 2017, 3:06 pm

@vaderito
lol! I was just joking. Obviously he doesn't know where the story is headed (at least I don't think he does). Nope
Moonlight13
Moonlight13

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Wed 05 Jul 2017, 3:07 pm

IoJovi wrote:  

It was a joke.  Commission or not, he does a literal ton of Reylo centered pieces.  I was at least thinking that's where he thinks the story is headed.
@IoJovi

I think he just finds Lil Kylo and Lil Rey more inspiring for cartoons cause they have perfect Tom&Jerry other Adversary&Adversary cartoon dynamic. He draws Kylo a lot or at least I'm seeing his cartoons all the time. he's a fun character.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Wed 05 Jul 2017, 3:10 pm

vaderito wrote:
IoJovi wrote:  

It was a joke.  Commission or not, he does a literal ton of Reylo centered pieces.  I was at least thinking that's where he thinks the story is headed.
@IoJovi

I think he just finds Lil Kylo and Lil Rey more inspiring for cartoons cause they have perfect Tom&Jerry other Adversary&Adversary cartoon dynamic. He draws Kylo a lot or at least I'm seeing his cartoons all the time. he's a fun character.
@vaderito

Says the guy who loves drawing Kylo drawing a heart that says, REY, I HATE YOU. Laughing

Tom and Jerry to my knowledge never did that. Wink
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Wed 05 Jul 2017, 3:13 pm

IoJovi wrote:  

Says the guy who loves drawing Kylo drawing a heart that says, REY, I HATE YOU.  Laughing

Tom and Jerry to my knowledge never did that.  Wink
@IoJovi

Well, if his client wanted Valentine Kylo... Very Happy
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix Wed 05 Jul 2017, 3:59 pm

Reminds me of the opening of Deadly Premonition where the protagonist explains Tom & Jerry's relationship as being akin to a BDSM relationship. My explanation doesn't do it justice. Laughing
Helix
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin Wed 05 Jul 2017, 4:06 pm

IoJovi wrote:
vaderito wrote:
IoJovi wrote:  

@IoJovi

@vaderito

Says the guy who loves drawing Kylo drawing a heart that says, REY, I HATE YOU. Laughing

Tom and Jerry to my knowledge never did that. Wink
@IoJovi

Yeah, a Soloist may have wanted it, but that picture can be interpreted in a very Reylo way ... like Rey and Kylo have made progress from the "throw snowballs at you" stage to the "well ... you can come over ... if you want" stage. Very Happy

SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen Wed 05 Jul 2017, 4:17 pm

vaderito wrote:Kesinger is commissioning anything that his clients ask him. Reylo, Soloist, anything. You don't believe that he actually knows where the story is going, do you? So when someone commissions a Reylo art, that means absolutely nothing, just like commissioning Soloist art doesn't mean anything. In fact, I'd love to commission a Reywalker art cause he didn't draw Luke yet and because I want to see what he makes of cousins. Very Happy
@vaderito

If that led anyone to seriously think he was voicing his opinion or had insider information on the story, my bad. I thought everyone knew his work is commissioned. I do like how cute he draws Kylo and Rey so I enjoy all his commissioned lil'Kylo and lil'Rey. He did a couple of drawings of Luke, not with Rey though. I can remember one with OB1 and one with Kylo bringing him Vader's helmet for a Show & Tell at the "Jedi Academy". I would think that he'd avoid to specifically call them cousins or brother and sister to avoid any issue in the future. But then he did draw Kylo and Rey with mistletoe which surprised me a bit because I thought his drawings were quite neutral until then. So maybe he would draw them as cousins. I am surprised no one has asked him yet for a drawing of Luke and his precious daughter and naughty nephew. I mean one where Reywalker is crystal clear. How much does a commission cost? I am also curious now if he'd do it... Smile

Last edited by SanghaRen on Wed 05 Jul 2017, 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat Wed 05 Jul 2017, 4:18 pm

vaderito wrote:
IoJovi wrote:  

Says the guy who loves drawing Kylo drawing a heart that says, REY, I HATE YOU.  Laughing

@IoJovi

@vaderito

The Valentine's Kylo actually wasn't a commission. He's done many Reylo-ish Lil Kylo pieces that weren't commissions because Lil Kylo started out as a Calvin & Hobbes mash-up, after all - he sees Lil Kylo as Calvin and Rey as Susie.

Of course he doesn't know which way the story's headed, but I would hazard a guess the Calvin/Susie comparison wouldn't have occurred to him if he didn't see at least something of what we've seen.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Wed 05 Jul 2017, 4:22 pm

Darth Dingbat wrote:
vaderito wrote:
IoJovi wrote:  

@IoJovi

@vaderito

The Valentine's Kylo actually wasn't a commission. He's done many Reylo-ish Lil Kylo pieces that weren't commissions because Lil Kylo started out as a Calvin & Hobbes mash-up, after all - he sees Lil Kylo as Calvin and Rey as Susie.

Of course he doesn't know which way the story's headed, but I would hazard a guess the Calvin/Susie comparison wouldn't have occurred to him if he didn't see at least something of what we've seen.
@Darth Dingbat

Exactly this. I just did a google image search on Brian Kesinger LilKylo and at first glance I counted at least 10 pieces with a Reylo vibe. He's got two different ones both involving mistletoe. I don't think theses were commissioned (at least it doesn't state that it is when I click on the pictures). My point is, you don't have to be a shippy fangirl to see Reylo as a plausible outcome.
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen Wed 05 Jul 2017, 4:36 pm

Darth Dingbat wrote:
vaderito wrote:
IoJovi wrote:  

@IoJovi

@vaderito

@Darth Dingbat

Does he always say when it's commissioned? I guess he would out of courtesy to his customers. Yeah, the Calvin/Susie comparison is obvious. Even I, who barely know anything about Calvin & Hobbes, noticed it.

I still would not read anything into it personally. Most of you know my stance. It's again the case of everyone looking at something through different eyes. BK might indeed have Reyloish glasses on but until he comes out and say it, it's still everyone's guess. I enjoy the drawings and making jokes about it. For the rest we shall see in less than 6 months Very Happy
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Wed 05 Jul 2017, 4:47 pm

SanghaRen wrote:
Darth Dingbat wrote:
vaderito wrote:
IoJovi wrote:  

@IoJovi

@vaderito

@Darth Dingbat

Does he always say when it's commissioned? I guess he would out of courtesy to his customers. Yeah, the Calvin/Susie comparison is obvious. Even I, who barely know anything about Calvin & Hobbes, noticed it.

I still would not read anything into it personally. Most of you know my stance. It's again the case of everyone looking at something through different eyes. BK might indeed have Reyloish glasses on but until he comes out and say it, it's still everyone's guess. I enjoy the drawings and making jokes about it. For the rest we shall see in less than 6 months Very Happy
@SanghaRen

Sure he's never outright come out and SAID he's pro-reylo, but his pictures (if they are non-commissioned) do convey a pretty on point message. I just wanted to have fun and run with it.

We're talking about a single (if not prolific) individual, so their interpretation has no bearing on the story. It's just fun to know they likely picked up on the same things we did.
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen Wed 05 Jul 2017, 4:52 pm

Ok, I was wrong. He did a Luke-Rey as father and daughter. Commissioned. Someone sent him a pic of it. He must do a lot of commissioned stuff and post only some of them. Anyways.

https://twitter.com/aquamindy/status/876432878334337024
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Wed 05 Jul 2017, 4:55 pm

SanghaRen wrote:Ok, I was wrong. He did a Luke-Rey as father and daughter. Commissioned. Someone sent him a pic of it. He must do a lot of commissioned stuff and post only some of them. Anyways.

@SanghaRen

Oh my gosh, that's adorable even though I can't help but think of how disappointed they're going to be come December.. That honestly tears at my heart strings...
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonlight13 Wed 05 Jul 2017, 5:07 pm

IoJovi wrote:
SanghaRen wrote:Ok, I was wrong. He did a Luke-Rey as father and daughter. Commissioned. Someone sent him a pic of it. He must do a lot of commissioned stuff and post only some of them. Anyways.

@SanghaRen

Oh my gosh, that's adorable even though I can't help but think of how disappointed they're going to be come December..  That honestly tears at my heart strings...
@IoJovi

He can end up being a "father figure" even if he isn't her biological father. Maybe that's why Daisy said Luke would give her away if she ever gets married.
Moonlight13
Moonlight13

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Wed 05 Jul 2017, 5:13 pm

Funny enough, it Watterson's birthday today!

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram - Page 3 Screen11

There's a sweet documentary about his fans called Dear Mr. Watterson that I saw a couple months back, highly recommended. No they don't get him on camera (he's a JD Salinger type of figure), but the jerk in me enjoyed the fact that his rival Berke Breathed is willing to show up about how much it drove him crazy that Watterson is so much more effortlessly a genius than he'll ever be (I like Bloom County, but it's always tried way too hard to be like Pogo).

snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel Wed 05 Jul 2017, 5:43 pm

snufkin wrote:Funny enough, it Watterson's birthday today!

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram - Page 3 Screen11

There's a sweet documentary about his fans called Dear Mr. Watterson that I saw a couple months back, highly recommended. No they don't get him on camera (he's a JD Salinger type of figure), but the jerk in me enjoyed the fact that his rival Berke Breathed is willing to show up about how much it drove him crazy that Watterson is so much more effortlessly a genius than he'll ever be (I like Bloom County, but it's always tried way too hard to be like Pogo).

@snufkin

That's awesome, thanks for posting this! I love Calvin and Hobbes, such great memories. Smile

I'd love to commission something with Lil' Kylo and Lil' Rey from Kesinger. I bet there's a wait list though...
Kessel
Kessel

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Wed 05 Jul 2017, 9:13 pm

@Kessel - It's such an interesting contrast between Star Wars & Calvin and Hobbes because Watterson is steadfastly the opposite of Lucas. He only agreed to having books published and turned down the chance to do merchandising, which is where the $$$ is made. Also turned down Spielberg's request to do an animated movie of the strip. And when he reached a point where he felt that he'd have to compromise on quality with shrinking page margins for daily strips, he decided to wrap it up. There's something admirable about that, especially with Disney buying up so much of pop culture to keep churning out new products and theme parks.

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram - Page 3 Screen13

Last edited by snufkin on Wed 05 Jul 2017, 9:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 Wed 05 Jul 2017, 9:28 pm

This is my FAVE reylo art of his. It's.too.damn.cute. Mr. Ren!!! loll And the BB8 tea set is gold!!

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram - Page 3 Cp1LwUhUkAAAmxF

rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel Wed 05 Jul 2017, 11:20 pm

snufkin wrote:@Kessel - It's such an interesting contrast between Star Wars & Calvin and Hobbes because Watterson is steadfastly the opposite of Lucas. He only agreed to having books published and turned down the chance to do merchandising, which is where the $$$ is made. Also turned down Spielberg's request to do an animated movie of the strip. And when he reached a point where he felt that he'd have to compromise on quality with shrinking page margins for daily strips, he decided to wrap it up. There's something admirable about that, especially with Disney buying up so much of pop culture to keep churning out new products and theme parks.

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram - Page 3 Screen13
@snufkin

That's definitely admirable of him. As much as I love Calvin and Hobbes, I'm glad Watterson didn't do agree to do a animated movie. The Calvin and Hobbes comics always felt whimsical and special in way that would have likely been lost in a commercial animated movie, imo.
Kessel
Kessel

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Thu 06 Jul 2017, 12:14 am

This is a compilation of interviews by a fan, but he has very strong opinions about 'selling out." Enough to keep making fun of Berke Breathed for merchandizing Bloom County and using it on things like buying power boats.

Like I said, his attitude is the antithesis of Lucasfilm/Disney
Discussions: Tweets/Instagram - Page 3 Syndicate4

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram - Page 3 Alsofromhonk

There's a more recent interview w/him from 2015. Which talking about his influences (Walt Kelly's pretty easy to spot, Ralph Steadman I can see too), reminds me that I need to get over the Charles Schultz Museum/Archives, which is driving distance from where I live.

Watterson paints the physical truths of such near-monastic commitment: He was in his mid-20s when the strip began, and in his mid-30s when he walked away. Were he to regularly return to the art board now in his 50s, he admits, he would be battling arthritis and back pain.

And speaking of that walking-away: Watterson dispels and clears up rumors that arose around his departure. Some have speculated that fights over licensing, or page space, or shifting newspaper realities, led to his retirement from the page in December of 1995. The cartoonist’s thoughts on leaving, and licensing, are more nuanced and less drama-driven than that.

“A comic strip, like anything else, has a natural life span,” says Watterson, like a man ever-cognizant of at what stage and state his strip was at.

“Art has to keep moving and discovering to stay alive,” adds the cartoonist, emphasizing that “the last few years of the strip, and especially the Sundays, are the work I am the most proud of. This was as close as I could get to my vision of what a comic strip should be.”

Watterson also weighs in on the crumbling of newspaper syndication as both business model and assurance of huge audience share. He offers thoughts on webcomics as both more democratic and less lucrative:

* On reading online comics vs. pre-curated newspaper comics: “I like comics more than most people, but I don’t want to personally scavenge for them.”

* On the expectation that online comics be free: “When we don’t pay for what we consume, we’re exploiting people’s talent and hard work.” (And related to that, let’s hope people and outlets don’t “pirate” this interview without paying; at least until the museum offers it someday for free. As Calvin himself might bellow: “Avast, you online pirates!”)
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat Thu 06 Jul 2017, 1:35 am

SanghaRen wrote:
Darth Dingbat wrote:
vaderito wrote:
IoJovi wrote:  

@IoJovi

@vaderito

@Darth Dingbat

@SanghaRen

I think he always tags his commissions as #commission, yes - and I've noticed that he also photographs the commissions on a table. His own Lil Kylo sketches are either scanned and digitally retouched, or else he draws them digitally to begin with. Either way, the end result is polished, like this:

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram - Page 3 CaTRWzeUEAICwxe

He did a lot of Lil Kylo art after TFA, and they got popular, and the commissions started after that. The Valentine Kylo was one of the early ones (as was the one above).
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Thu 06 Jul 2017, 5:15 am

Oh, wow! See what he did here. he is inspired by that artist a lot.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru Thu 06 Jul 2017, 10:15 am

I love LilKylo I love you I'm a huge fan of Calvin & Hobbes, so it's a delight to see Brian's interpretation of the characters.
Piper Maru
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen Thu 06 Jul 2017, 11:01 am

@Darth Dingbat
Looking over the different pics in my files - yes, I have a folder with his lil'Kylo tweets -, he seems to indeed post his own sketches scanned straight instead of photographed on a table. And yes, he probably tags all the commissioned work. I wonder how many commissioned drawings he's made so far since he apparently does not post them all. But yeah, I enjoy them as they come. I have been off the analysis train for a while now Smile

@snufkin
That's why PH is not happy with BK's drawings because he kind of sees it as a betrayal of Watterson's wishes - paraphrasing here, I don't remember his exact words. In principle, I would agree with PH. But then our society is saddly based on money so everyone is trying to make a living. And I don't know if when you are working for a coporate company, you can really comment on the fairness of adapting existing concepts and sell them - I work in a corporate company. It does not seem to bother Disney/Lucasfilm that BK is selling mashups. And I just like lil'Kylo so I am very biased.

@rey09
I cannot decide which is my favorite drawing. In general I really like the ones of lil'Kylo with Han. I think it's because I see it as a good representation of father-son conflictual relationships, which are imo quite widespread. The one that really had my heart melt is one of the first ones I ever saw with Leia kissing the Vader doll. I mean, it was so unexpected for me to see Kylo being shown as a kid when on some social media people were hissing every time Kylo's possible redemption was mentioned. You can see Kylo's PJ sleeve - how cute is that! And Leia looking away while kissing the doll is gold. Especially if you have read Bloodline. I also really like the one where he's looking into Leia's cupboard because I just love that scene of metal-bikini-clad Leia getting rid of Jabba. There's so many good ones of lil'Kylo with Han and/or Leia.

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram - Page 3 Img_0411Discussions: Tweets/Instagram - Page 3 Ceuodf10

Reylo ones, I don't know. I guess the traitor one because that could describe the end of TFA, each one probably thinking the other is a traitor. And the one where they draw each other. But yeah, the Valentine one is really cool too. I could imagine Grown Up Kylo repeating "I hate her" after getting his a** kicked both by her and then probably by Snoke as a result.

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram - Page 3 Cnu_cp10Discussions: Tweets/Instagram - Page 3 C4y5z210

Sorry for the lil'Kylo festival Very Happy
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next