Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

+69
Kyla Ren
BenOrgana
Moonlight13
tintarelladiluna
vaderito
Piper Maru
Tex
Kylo Men
soulluos
Darth_Awakened
Armadeus
ISeeAnIsland
IoJovi
snufkin
Lovely_Rose
rey09
Darth Dingbat
Lily Snape
Darth Rowan
Xylo Ren
tukicarreno
ZioRen
benorganasolo
Irina de France
Helix
Reylo Lemon
Geralt_Riv
SheLitAFire
Kessel
Rei of Sunshine
ReyofLightSide
Saracene
Darth Dementor
MissG
TheLastJedi
Rimfaxe96
Millicent the Cat
Birdwoman
SanghaRen
EchoBase
Casper
spacebaby45678
DarthRen
MeadowofAshes
Blood Moon
Lucina
nonesuch
adamdrivershair
MindAndMagic
Airemyn
Reynak
SkyStar
BastilaBey
Lily
snowqueen6
MyOnlyHope
FrolickingFizzgig
MoonFyre
Marchtwin
creepi0
Gemini
Acritiqua
nemapasara
kroi
Moonjump05
Mana
panki
bossbaby
jakkusun
73 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram Empty Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Post by Rimfaxe96 Sat 06 May 2017, 3:40 pm

Found something interesting while scrolling the Facebook page of ANOVOS, a costume replica maker, who shared this picture of Lucasfilms:

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram 18199179_1418376348220393_3723330396880828440_n

LF also wrote: "Our friends from ANOVOS sent over some helmets for May the 4th!" (the replicas by ANOVOS are licensed and they're working closely together with Lucasfilm, since they need to get a closer look at the original movie outfits in order to remake them as correctly as possible)

But look at that poster in the background. Apparently the movie His Captive Woman was a great movie of its time (released in 1929), and features a well-executed romance build up between a 'bad girl' and a 'good cop'.

The only description of its content I could find was this review from IMDB:

This part-talkie, screened last week at Syracuse's Cinefest, is both technically accomplished and dramatically satisfying. Immoral flapper Dorothy MacKail is on trial for murder, she's already confessed, and we see in flashback how she had a change of life and heart after being pursued by honest, hunky cop Milton Sills. (He has a nice Harrison Ford quality, and he's comfortable under the early microphones, though his Irish accent comes and goes.) He pursues her to the South Seas, captures her and attempts to take her back to trial, and the two are shipwrecked on a desert island, nicely portrayed by Hawaiian location filming. The trial sequences are all-talking and everything else all-silent, though with musical scoring and sound effects; we get at least five choruses apiece of Irving Berlin's "Lady of the Evening" (when she's being a floozie) and Victor Herbert's "To the Land of My Own Romance" (when she's purifying). The plot has holes and the happy ending strains credibility, but we're so rooting for these two that we buy it. And while bad-girl-redeemed-through-God movies usually make me impatient and cross, this one has a more solid foundation than most. I suppose if you were indefinitely shipwrecked in a tropical paradise, you would indeed look back on your life's mistakes and wonder about how you might improve yourself. As far as I know, this one received no special attention among the raft of early talkies, but its excellent technical values and George Fitzmaurice's sensitive direction make it noteworthy.

( Source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0019986/ )

It doesn't have to mean anything of course but it caught my attention nonetheless. Confus
Rimfaxe96
Rimfaxe96
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram Empty Re: Discussions: Tweets/Instagram

Post by SoloSideCousin Sat 06 May 2017, 9:13 pm

bossbaby wrote:
spacebaby45678 wrote:I have heard a lot about the force being dormant, and Baze losing his force powers. I wonder what it all means.
@spacebaby45678

I guess it could mean that the Force wasn't awakening in new users until Rey, but people who had already accessed it (Kylo, Luke, Leia, Snoke) could still use their powers.
@bossbaby

There was definitely something about the force being dormant.  I remember reading things like that in the 2015 JJ interviews about the TFA ... but they didn't define what "dormant" meant.  I think what you say here could be a good possibility ... that basically for a period of time no new force sensitives "awakened" so Snoke, Luke and Kylo would be very "alone" in the galaxy. 

This theory would make sense in a few ways.  First, it's a big deal when Rey does awaken, even for Snoke.  If there were people awakening all the time, like they seemed to in the prequel era, I don't think Rey would be so special.  Secondly, it would explain part of the reason that Kylo is so bowled over by her.  If he thinks he's the only one, then to find another and for the "another" to be a gorgeous young woman would blow his mind.  Thirdly, this could also feed into a prophecy or vision, like the one who breaks the dormancy will do something special.  Finally, if Kylo is "the only one" in the sense that he has a problem with both Luke and Snoke (his private agenda, whatever it is), this could explain this whole self-sacrificial vibe to him ... because if he thinks "something" needs to be done, he will be the only one who can do it ... at whatever the cost.  Something like that could go a long way to explaining some of his behavior.  He might have been wrong, but he will have some reasoning to rely upon.  It would also explain why he was so desperate to teach Rey once he realized her force sensitivity.
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Sat 06 May 2017, 9:26 pm

@Rimfaxe96 - okay now I want to track down a copy of that movie, I <3 precode stuff and that one sounds fun. The lost on a desert island trope is a classic, like Cary Grant's "My Favorite Wife."  Also funny coincidence, two opponents trapped together on an island, feelings start to change. What have I been saying about The Tempest?

In terms of the Force, they've at least dropped hints from the books that Leia had a strong bond with Ben as a child, both in utero and from Han's anxious PoV when he was a newborn w/the line about them sharing something he could never understand. And there was DR's comment about not knowing if Rey was a Jedi with the additional comment this had been discussed about Leia because she didn't follow the same path as Luke. I could also swear reading somewhere that one of the scenes which got cut from TFA was to have her react a la Obi-Wan's "a million voices cried out" when the Hosnian System is destroyed.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Sat 06 May 2017, 10:33 pm

I know "the books don't necessarily count as the Gospel truth," but I got a couple SW related eBooks from my library and the junior novel ends on this note:

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram Screen24

Also the Epilogue opens with this summary. Really, the junior novel is so much better written even if ADF has the nostalgia factor from the original tie-in novel
Discussions: Tweets/Instagram Screen25
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Sun 07 May 2017, 5:16 am

snufkin wrote:I know "the books don't necessarily count as the Gospel truth," but I got a couple SW related eBooks from my library and the junior novel ends on this note:

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram Screen24

Also the Epilogue opens with this summary. Really, the junior novel is so much better written even if ADF has the nostalgia factor from the original tie-in novel
Discussions: Tweets/Instagram Screen25
@snufkin

I like these quotes and that is 1,000 miles from Rey being the "force" awakening... to she awakens the force within in herself. Rey is a microcosm of the macrocosm not the macrocosm itself.
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Sun 07 May 2017, 12:59 pm

@spacebaby45678 - yep and it's a direct callback to the Emperor telling Vader that there's been a Disturbance. Wonder if that's just semantics or if it's an actual difference between her and Luke as Force Users. Also the Awakening detail is one of the big ones "he's going to get eeeevilller" arguments use to bolster their claim because JJ said the Lightside awakened in Rey and the Darkside awakened in Kylo/Ben (not too strongly in him judging from the whole Han business).

Also even if the books are given room for the authors to do their own thing, Kylo/Ben is written as being an angry young man with words like rage and fury describing his inner state of mind. Also he's pretty much pissed in all of his interactions with Poe, Finn on SKB, and Hux. With Han he's sad and in pain, with the Vader mask he's fearful and angry at himself, with Snoke it's fear/pleading, but with Rey he's either calm or scared because she's put him in his place.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Sun 07 May 2017, 2:30 pm

snufkin wrote:@spacebaby45678 - yep and it's a direct callback to the Emperor telling Vader that there's been a Disturbance. Wonder if that's just semantics or if it's an actual difference between her and Luke as Force Users. Also the Awakening detail is one of the big ones "he's going to get eeeevilller" arguments use to bolster their claim because JJ said the Lightside awakened in Rey and the Darkside awakened in Kylo/Ben (not too strongly in him judging from the whole Han business).

Also even if the books are given room for the authors to do their own thing, Kylo/Ben is written as being an angry young man with words like rage and fury describing his inner state of mind. Also he's pretty much pissed in all of his interactions with Poe, Finn on SKB, and Hux. With Han he's sad and in pain, with the Vader mask he's fearful and angry at himself, with Snoke it's fear/pleading, but with Rey he's either calm or scared because she's put him in his place.
@snufkin

Don't know if you ever saw this but just in case you hadn't... GL wanted the AOTC to mirror Dr. Z

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram C-hhl2SXYAAimPe
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Sun 07 May 2017, 4:28 pm

@spacebaby45678 - True confession, I only learned in the past two weeks about the deliberate intention to reference Dr. Zhivago in the PT. And I can't even be a pretentious film nerd and claim that it was from reading a book or high minded article. I was reading the Wikipedia entry on cinematic influences on the Star Wars franchise.

The funny thing about reading that entry and your post was that my immediate conclusion after seeing TFA for the first time was that Rey is probably like Tanya Komarova. And that her experience of Luke will be like Tanya meeting Obi-Wan Yevgrav Zhivago and learning that her parents were targeted and on the run from larger political/military forces when the family was separated forever.

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram 280px-Trailer-Doctor_Zhivago-Yevgraf_and_Tonya_Komarovskaya

You get credit for making me realize that I had unconsciously jumped to that conclusion because of Zhivago and @armadeus made the observation that maybe Ben/Kylo are like Pasha/Strelnikov. Which is turns out is a frequent topic of discussion about Anakin/Vader in both the OT and PT.

In terms of direct references in AotC. I get that the place they escape to on Naboo is a reference to Varykino, but I never would've guessed it. Certainly doesn't look as miserable as that place in full ice. I think maybe this is what all of the clunky we can't be in love dialogue was meant to be like. Also for the life of me, while I completely understand why Lara and Zhivago were in danger from larger forces and considered subversive/threats to them, I still don't understand from what was shown in the movie why Padme was targeted:

Another unintended similarity is how much the characters of Lara and Padme are bungled. In the original novel, she's shown to be smart, ambitious, an excellent student, and a teacher. Which the movie doesn't really cover, just that she's more of a tragic beauty and passive character. Kind of like what happens to Padme by the end of the PT. Also wonder if that means GL thought at all about The Emperor and his alter ego being any kind of similarity to Rod Steiger's Komarovsky?

Anyways, that's what totally fascinates me about these movies. It's a franchise made by people who all studied film in school. Or Carrie Fisher's case, was educated by a parent who was in the last generation of actors for the studio system and Golden Age of Hollywood. I'd love to hear a discussion about which directors they continue to pay homage to. You've already heard recent comments from Kathleen Kennedy about her love of David Lean, there are clear cinematography references in the Jakku sequences to Lawrence of Arabia, and Rian Johnson has mentioned an entire list of influence films that all come from the Criterion Collection, include the jidaigeki/chanbara genre.

Film nerd dream reference for TLJ would be this confrontation/face off between Rey and Ben/Kylo with her delivering the lines "I saw a piece of your manhood...your point, their village" in regards to Tuaneel. Also notice the scar on Pasha/Strelnikov's face looking similar to Kylo's.

snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Sun 07 May 2017, 5:44 pm

snufkin wrote:@spacebaby45678 - True confession, I only learned in the past two weeks about the deliberate intention to reference Dr. Zhivago in the PT. And I can't even be a pretentious film nerd and claim that it was from reading a book or high minded article. I was reading the Wikipedia entry on cinematic influences on the Star Wars franchise.

The funny thing about reading that entry and your post was that my immediate conclusion after seeing TFA for the first time was that Rey is probably like Tanya Komarova. And that her experience of Luke will be like Tanya meeting Obi-Wan Yevgrav Zhivago and learning that her parents were targeted and on the run from larger political/military forces when the family was separated forever.

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram 280px-Trailer-Doctor_Zhivago-Yevgraf_and_Tonya_Komarovskaya

You get credit for making me realize that I had unconsciously jumped to that conclusion because of Zhivago and @armadeus made the observation that maybe Ben/Kylo are like Pasha/Strelnikov. Which is turns out is a frequent topic of discussion about Anakin/Vader in both the OT and PT.

In terms of direct references in AotC. I get that the place they escape to on Naboo is a reference to Varykino, but I never would've guessed it. Certainly doesn't look as miserable as that place in full ice. I think maybe this is what all of the clunky we can't be in love dialogue was meant to be like. Also for the life of me, while I completely understand why Lara and Zhivago were in danger from larger forces and considered subversive/threats to them, I still don't understand from what was shown in the movie why Padme was targeted:

Another unintended similarity is how much the characters of Lara and Padme are bungled. In the original novel, she's shown to be smart, ambitious, an excellent student, and a teacher. Which the movie doesn't really cover, just that she's more of a tragic beauty and passive character. Kind of like what happens to Padme by the end of the PT. Also wonder if that means GL thought at all about The Emperor and his alter ego being any kind of similarity to Rod Steiger's Komarovsky?

Anyways, that's what totally fascinates me about these movies. It's a franchise made by people who all studied film in school. Or Carrie Fisher's case, was educated by a parent who was in the last generation of actors for the studio system and Golden Age of Hollywood. I'd love to hear a discussion about which directors they continue to pay homage to. You've already heard recent comments from Kathleen Kennedy about her love of David Lean, there are clear cinematography references in the Jakku sequences to Lawrence of Arabia, and Rian Johnson has mentioned an entire list of influence films that all come from the Criterion Collection, include the jidaigeki/chanbara genre.

Film nerd dream reference for TLJ would be this confrontation/face off between Rey and Ben/Kylo with her delivering the lines "I saw a piece of your manhood...your point, their village" in regards to Tuaneel. Also notice the scar on Pasha/Strelnikov's face looking similar to Kylo's.

@snufkin

Ok, to be honest I have always found Dr. Z to be a snooze fest, a beautiful snooze fest, but I tried watching it again recently but to no avail I still think it is too slow in pace just like Lawrence of Arabia. But, I have to agree that the most likely explanation for Rey's abandonment is her family being targeted by Snoke's "shadow council" . Not as exotic or strange or original as some might like but it would fit nicely into the current story as it stands. But why where they targeted and who they are as a "threat" to the shadow council might be more interesting.
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Sun 07 May 2017, 6:01 pm

@spacebaby45678 - they're movies meant for the big screen for sure. I saw a 70mm cut of Lawrence of Arabia at the Paramount Theater in Austin, which no way I've ever been able to sit through in one session watching on TV. But on the screen, the cinematography, editing, score it all comes together. Zhivago is a snooze, especially compared to how much more complex the characters are in the novel. But it's a beautiful snooze.

the most likely explanation for Rey's abandonment is her family being targeted by Snoke's "shadow council" . Not as exotic or strange or original as some might like but it would fit nicely into the current story as it stands. But why where they targeted and who they are as a "threat" to the shadow council might be more interesting.

I really think that's the most likely story for her. It doesn't even have to line up with politics or the Jedi, they could simply be targets or holding on to something Snoke wants. And that once the pieces fall into place and you see Ben/Kylo's loyalty start to waver and his sympathy/trust/likely falling hard for Rey, that's going to be a huge kick in the pants for him besides however the two of them line up for being the Balance.

Her being on Jakku is also an awful lot like Marian's introduction to Raiders of the Lost Ark, young woman fending for herself because alone and stuck in a dangerous backwater after a parent had been killed. There was a whole back story Lawrence Kasdan said got cut from the movie about what happened with Marian's father and gosh if we haven't already had hints about visual and story references to Raiders, including relic hunting. Snoke may have had them killed for something he was after. Again the whole McGuffin is the map (or the saber) when it's actually Rey who's the missing piece.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Sun 07 May 2017, 9:30 pm

Rian has so much patience...

Discussions: Tweets/Instagram Screen20
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Sun 07 May 2017, 9:36 pm

ISeeAnIsland wrote:Rian has so much patience...

@ISeeAnIsland

That's some Reywalker shade if I've ever seen it... Laughing
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Reylo Lemon Mon 08 May 2017, 12:45 am

IoJovi wrote:
ISeeAnIsland wrote:Rian has so much patience...

@ISeeAnIsland

That's some Reywalker shade if I've ever seen it... Laughing
@IoJovi

MY MAN H-beating
Reylo Lemon
Reylo Lemon
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix Mon 08 May 2017, 3:38 am

Rian is just as tired of those types as everyone else is. A movie not being exactly what you wanted doesn't make it bad, doesn't mean you have to like it, but it's still not 'the worse ever' because you didn't get what you wanted. Also, what they wanted may not have made for a good story/movie.
Helix
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Mon 08 May 2017, 10:43 am

I vaguely remember a lot of the fanboy 'press' sites like Collider et all tying themselves in knots over how 'terrible' Looper was because 'you can't do X in time travel' and meanwhile the whole point of the characters and the story went sailing right over their heads. So he's likely had 5 years' worth of practice dealing with these type of people and developing a sense of humor about it. My favorite was still dragging the guy who posted a Fight Club gif (because of course) with some comment about it being a copy of ESB and his response was "you got me, I just spent the past 3 years doing exactly that."
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Reylo Lemon Mon 08 May 2017, 11:17 am

snufkin wrote:I vaguely remember a lot of the fanboy 'press' sites like Collider et all tying themselves in knots over how 'terrible' Looper was because 'you can't do X in time travel' and meanwhile the whole point of the characters and the story went sailing right over their heads. So he's likely had 5 years' worth of practice dealing with these type of people and developing a sense of humor about it. My favorite was still dragging the guy who posted a Fight Club gif (because of course) with some comment about it being a copy of ESB and his response was "you got me, I just spent the past 3 years doing exactly that."
@snufkin

Collider guys are typical fanboys. They got upset when Adam said that tlj is different in tone compared to esb and it's not so much dark. They want a horror movie. Maybe they don't understand these movies are for 5 yo kids
Reylo Lemon
Reylo Lemon
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Armadeus Mon 08 May 2017, 11:24 am

snufkin wrote:I vaguely remember a lot of the fanboy 'press' sites like Collider et all tying themselves in knots over how 'terrible' Looper was because 'you can't do X in time travel' and meanwhile the whole point of the characters and the story went sailing right over their heads. So he's likely had 5 years' worth of practice dealing with these type of people and developing a sense of humor about it. My favorite was still dragging the guy who posted a Fight Club gif (because of course) with some comment about it being a copy of ESB and his response was "you got me, I just spent the past 3 years doing exactly that."
@snufkin

What I liked about Looper is that, yeah, it has a lot of time travel elements in it, time travel is what sets the plot in motion, but it's not about time travel. It uses time travel as a means of studying its protagonist in a really interesting/inventive way. It's not interested in the nitty gritty of time travel and I think it's better for that. The technobabble stuff and world building take a back seat to the characters; characters who are interesting, complex, morally ambiguous, the stuff great stories are made of. No one is innocent or nice or 'good', not even the kid.

It's like Interstellar; people gush over its 'scientific accuracy' which is impressive, but it's not a movie about science.
Armadeus
Armadeus
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

https://www.fictionpress.com/u/564105/

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Mon 08 May 2017, 11:58 am

Armadeus wrote:The technobabble stuff and world building take a back seat to the characters; characters who are interesting, complex, morally ambiguous, the stuff great stories are made of. No one is innocent or nice or 'good', not even the kid.

Yeah I think that gets to the heart of the people who argue Rogue One is a better movie. Because the character study takes a back seat to the world building and technobabble. And miss the mark with the ESB comparisons - it's dark because it's emotionally dark and challenging as a way of showing who the characters are underneath.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Armadeus Mon 08 May 2017, 1:01 pm

snufkin wrote:
Armadeus wrote:The technobabble stuff and world building take a back seat to the characters; characters who are interesting, complex, morally ambiguous, the stuff great stories are made of. No one is innocent or nice or 'good', not even the kid.

Yeah I think that gets to the heart of the people who argue Rogue One is a better movie. Because the character study takes a back seat to the world building and technobabble. And miss the mark with the ESB comparisons - it's dark because it's emotionally dark and challenging as a way of showing who the characters are underneath.
@snufkin

I don't get the people saying RO is 'dark', because I don't think it is (certainly not in the way ESB, or Blade Runner, or The Dark Knight were). It kinda feels like ANH with a larger budget and modern production values - certainly that's how I felt watching it and was part of why the lifelong SW fan in me loved it so much. It's a fun movie and a good night out. A rollercoaster war movie as opposed to the operatic fairy tale that are the 'Episode' movies.
Armadeus
Armadeus
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

https://www.fictionpress.com/u/564105/

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Mon 08 May 2017, 5:44 pm

@Armadeus - even the line from the director of ESB was that he treated it like a fairy tale and the rest of the movies are space operas. "It's dark" sounds more like "people are morally ambiguous/not pure good or pure evil, everybody dies in the end and there's a lot of violence."
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdwoman Mon 08 May 2017, 11:30 pm

There is a reylo survey on StarWars speculation.... Wink

I took it and I am not a member of reddit.

Birdwoman
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BenOrgana Tue 09 May 2017, 3:02 pm

BenOrgana
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Reylo Lemon Tue 09 May 2017, 3:06 pm

BenOrgana wrote:pablo's Grey Jedi code lol!

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/862021522101157888
@BenOrgana

Oh God, why is it still a thing? I thought it died down..
Reylo Lemon
Reylo Lemon
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 09 May 2017, 3:35 pm

Maria Antonietta wrote:
BenOrgana wrote:pablo's Grey Jedi code lol!

https://twitter.com/pablohidalgo/status/862021522101157888
@BenOrgana

Oh God, why is it still a thing? I thought it died down..
@Maria Antonietta

People keep prodding him about it so it's not surprising he got salty.

Back to top Go down

Post by Reylo Lemon Tue 09 May 2017, 3:44 pm

Birdwoman wrote:

There is a reylo survey on StarWars speculation.... Wink

I took it and I am not a member of reddit.
@Birdwoman

Link?
Reylo Lemon
Reylo Lemon
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next