Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Jedi - Original Soundtrack

+21
Teo oswald
snufkin
rawpowah
Kylo Rey
nickandnora
Dar-ren19
Riri
SheLitAFire
californiagirl
Cowgirlsamurai
MrsWindu
LadyHa
vaderito
Man Without A Star
shii405
Atenais
rey09
thescavenger
Aphelionna
Reylo Lemon
EchoBase
25 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Last Jedi - Original Soundtrack - Page 2 Empty Re: The Last Jedi - Original Soundtrack

Post by LadyHa Sat 17 Mar 2018, 8:22 pm

Has anyone been watching the score-only version of the film that was released? I love it! I’ve seen TLJ so many times, but watching this way actually helps me observe new visual details since my eye isn’t constantly drawn to whoever is speaking. And, with the omission of the many sound effects, it also reveals that the score follows the film much more closely than I realized. There are many little details that have short musical cues or licks, like the shot of the elevator going up, or when the “walkie-talkie” flies out of BB-8 and Finn catches it. It’s also fun to watch something like the the throne room scene with Snoke, Kylo, & Rey, which doesn’t have a lot of themes playing, but has low-pitched moodiness precisely following the dialogue and the lightsabers that Rey & Snoke are zipping around the room.
LadyHa
LadyHa
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

The Last Jedi - Original Soundtrack - Page 2 Empty Re: The Last Jedi - Original Soundtrack

Post by Riri Sun 18 Mar 2018, 12:45 am

@LadyHa

Oooh amazing! What music is played during the Reylo scenes?

Edit:, thanks!

Last edited by Riri on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 4:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Riri
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Dar-ren19 Sun 18 Mar 2018, 1:01 am

LadyHa wrote:I bought the soundtrack (iTunes)!

It's such a glorious jumble of leitmotifs - Kylo's theme, especially, is everywhere. There's a cool musical moment about 2 minutes into the piece called The Supremacy that plays when Kylo is hesitating to shoot Leia's bridge.  Leia's motif plays and then it goes right into a variation of Kylo's.

I had been hoping for a new, seductive force bond theme, but it makes sense there isn't one, because in the film they cut the sound to signify those scenes.  The piece that plays during the fight with the Praetorian Guards is A New Alliance. It's angular battle music, and I don't see it as a Reylo theme at all, though it does have a quick Rey motif towards the end. It's dissonant and would fit right in a mid-20th century film more welcoming of brassy atonality than most of today's minimalistic scores.

The standout piece for me is called The Last Jedi, which plays in the film during the final Kylo-Luke showdown.  After an initial fanfare where Kylo & Luke size each other up, it features a section with lovely expansive choral music that plays while Rey is lifting the rocks. This parts ends when the camera switches back to Luke with a heartbreaking minor cadence.  This is followed by a few more explosive Kylo motifs and then rising minor triplet arpeggios that play when Kylo realizes that Luke is not really there.  You really feel a sense of horrified revelation here. John Williams is probably most famous for his optimistic themes, but I love it when he goes tragic like this.  (Torn Apart is my favorite from The Force Awakens).
@LadyHa

That is just a wonderful piece of analysis. Thank you from somebody who appreciates music but doesn't play or sing and is the ONLY one built that way in a musical family! Embarassed Surprised

Also, much thanks to @Atenais and @MrsWindu for the articles. Great reads!
Dar-ren19
Dar-ren19
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai Sun 18 Mar 2018, 7:48 am

I want to know if it was a conscious decision to leave Kylo’s themes out of the ending credits music. The last track is one of my favorite pieces to listen to because it’s like a sampling of the whole movie’s score. For TLJ, it’s the only place on the soundtrack where you hear Holdo’s theme, and they also include everyone else’s (Rose, Luke, Leia, Rey, the Resistance, the Falcon, etc) but no Kylo, even though his theme is prevalent in the film....
Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Dar-ren19 Sun 18 Mar 2018, 1:19 pm

Cowgirlsamurai wrote:I want to know if it was a conscious decision to leave Kylo’s themes out of the ending credits music. The last track is one of my favorite pieces to listen to because it’s like a sampling of the whole movie’s score. For TLJ, it’s the only place on the soundtrack where you hear Holdo’s theme, and they also include everyone else’s (Rose, Luke, Leia, Rey, the Resistance, the Falcon, etc) but no Kylo, even though his theme is prevalent in the film....
@Cowgirlsamurai

Maybe a reflection on the fact that they all left him behind...?
Dar-ren19
Dar-ren19
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyHa Sun 18 Mar 2018, 10:14 pm

@Dar-ren19 -thanks! It's been fun to try and listen actively to the score!

@riri
Since a few people are curious about the music during the Force Bond scenes, I thought I would share my rough notes for what I hear during them. I don't have anything revelatory here, though. Plus, there are long stretches of silence. I’d say that the overall effect is simply eerie, not romantic. There are many brief melodies that include mostly half steps and whole steps, and the instrumentation is mostly tremolo strings with flute lines alternating with low brass. The only leifmotifs I notice are snippets of Kylo’s themes, and of course the swelling Force theme at the end of #4. To me, this emphasizes that the filmmakers seemed to intend the scenes to be understood more from Rey’s perspective, with Kylo invading her space more than the other way around.

Chart of Music Riffs & Themes during Force Bond Scenes:

Last edited by LadyHa on Sun 18 Mar 2018, 11:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : My table screwed up the HTML on this page so I replaced it with PNGs in a spoiler tag)
LadyHa
LadyHa
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dar-ren19 Sun 18 Mar 2018, 10:22 pm

[quote="LadyHa"]@Dar-ren19 -thanks! It's been fun to try and listen actively to the score!
@riri
@LadyHa

This was great, thanks for doing this for us!

So watching the movie, reading the novel, and listening to the score... and now reading your breakdown, it seems to me that the "intent" of the filmmaking wasn't overt reylo, but the execution (including AD's acting choices as well as editing/direction) seems to have led to a much more nuanced/obvious reylo content. What do you think?
Dar-ren19
Dar-ren19
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyHa Mon 19 Mar 2018, 10:36 am

Dar-ren19 wrote:
So watching the movie, reading the novel, and listening to the score... and now reading your breakdown, it seems to me that the "intent" of the filmmaking wasn't overt reylo, but the execution (including AD's acting choices as well as editing/direction) seems to have led to a much more nuanced/obvious reylo content. What do you think?
@Dar-ren19

Interesting! You may very well be correct, but I have always thought the opposite - that romantic Reylo was always the intended central thread, but that cinematic choices have downplayed it to maintain suspense.  AD has said in cryptic interviews that there were certain elements going back to TFA that he was directed to play that wouldn't come to fruition until later films.  I interpreted this to indicate that he was referring to his character being highly interested in Rey. So, I think his acting choices were actually directed to be that way.

In terms of the score, it's true that I had been expecting some kind of a Reylo theme in TLJ.  But, then again, Kylo's and Rey's main themes are already linked as inverse, complimentary melodies. Also, I really can't tell what John Williams thinks or knows. In interviews, he says that he doesn't know where the story is going, and has even supported Rey Skywalker before and now supports Rey Somebody. I don't know if we can take his interviews seriously, though, I mean he is under nondisclosure demands as much as (or more than, since I find it hard to believe that he wouldn't be clued in to everything) anyone else in the production.
LadyHa
LadyHa
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai Mon 19 Mar 2018, 10:48 am

[quote="Dar-ren19"]
LadyHa wrote:@Dar-ren19 -thanks! It's been fun to try and listen actively to the score!
@riri
@LadyHa

@Dar-ren19

Reylo is delightfully subtle in the ways Anidala wasn’t. They were more tell rather than show and those sappy confessions are really what made things cringey between them.
Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Riri Mon 19 Mar 2018, 11:12 am

[quote="Cowgirlsamurai"]
Dar-ren19 wrote:
LadyHa wrote:@Dar-ren19 -thanks! It's been fun to try and listen actively to the score!
@riri
@LadyHa

@Dar-ren19

Reylo is delightfully subtle in the ways Anidala wasn’t. They were more tell rather than show and those sappy confessions are really what made things cringey between them.
@Cowgirlsamurai

The funniest thing is that Adam wishes it was more sentimental and obvious lol.

The Last Jedi - Original Soundtrack - Page 2 97b16a8a397d47ee9de3e44d3156dfe9

Riri
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by nickandnora Mon 19 Mar 2018, 11:39 am

[quote="Cowgirlsamurai"]
Dar-ren19 wrote:
@riri
@LadyHa

@Dar-ren19

@Cowgirlsamurai

^ This x1000.

nickandnora
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyHa Mon 19 Mar 2018, 11:53 am

Cowgirlsamurai wrote:

@Cowgirlsamurai

Likewise, even "Across the Stars," as much as I love it, is the arguably the sappiest theme in the saga.  I played it for a friend out of context and they figured it was just a cheesy theme for a TV romance movie.  I actually think, in the films, it serves as a great contrast with Williams' angular, atonal stuff, but, yeah, it's pretty blatant.
LadyHa
LadyHa
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai Mon 19 Mar 2018, 12:14 pm

Riri wrote:
Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
Dar-ren19 wrote:
@riri
@LadyHa

@Dar-ren19

@Cowgirlsamurai

@Riri

Haha. I wouldn’t oppose the ending being a bit obvious to seal the deal. An “I love you,” would feel way out of place, but a kiss? Begging for it I love you

@LadyHa

Absolutely. The romanciest theme ever! sunny Maybe Rey and Kylo’s theme will just remain the Force theme to symbolize the balance without getting sappy, lol. I’m still hoping JW can come up with something original that’s more subtle than Across the Stars for them, though I love you
Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey Mon 19 Mar 2018, 1:07 pm

Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
Riri wrote:
Cowgirlsamurai wrote:
Dar-ren19 wrote:
@riri
@LadyHa

@Dar-ren19

@Cowgirlsamurai

@Riri

Haha. I wouldn’t oppose the ending being a bit obvious to seal the deal. An “I love you,” would feel way out of place, but a kiss? Begging for it I love you

@LadyHa

Absolutely. The romanciest theme ever! sunny Maybe Rey and Kylo’s theme will just remain the Force theme to symbolize the balance without getting sappy, lol. I’m still hoping JW can come up with something original that’s more subtle than Across the Stars for them, though I love you
@Cowgirlsamurai

I can't picture either of them saying I love you either, they're too subtle and just not that type of couple IMO. Could see it phrased in another way though perhaps. Maybe a kiss alone would be enough. I'm not sure they are going to get a romance theme either, might just stick with the Force theme, although I really really want one. And I mean they should have one, just like HanLeia and Anidala. If they do, it might be slightly darker and definitely not as sappy as Across the Stars.
Kylo Rey
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rawpowah Mon 19 Mar 2018, 1:10 pm

I want them to say "I love you" to each other. Laughing I'm sappy like that. And I want there to be no doubt at the end of the trilogy as to their feelings towards each other.

Fanboys and haters freaking out over it is also a bonus. Besides sappy, I am also petty. Laughing

So bring on the cheesy music!
rawpowah
rawpowah
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Riri Mon 19 Mar 2018, 1:14 pm

@Kylo Rey

I was saying this on twitter, i really think Ben AND Rey deserve to hear "i love you" since they're both so lonely and have been robbed of real affection. Also lets be real, Ben is totally in love with her.

Also every trilogy has had a grand "I love you" scene with the characters theme playing in the background, we can say its Star Wars tradition Razz, i doubt it will be Finnrose since Rose has kinda already said it to Finn? "Saving what you love".

Yep i am totally on the "I love you" train Smile . All the I love yous have taken place when one/both of the characters lives are in danger.

PS - i imagine their love theme would be something like
The Last Jedi - Original Soundtrack - Page 2 Img_6225

Riri
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Mon 19 Mar 2018, 2:21 pm

@LadyHa Thanks for this post! I'm waiting on a very long list for my public library to get the DVD and when I do, I have your notes bookmarked for viewing. Along with the score only, no dialogue version (which BTW, I had thought of our earlier conversations about silent films the other day while watching Joan Crawford in Spring Fever). We know that he cribbed from Wings for the Canto Bight sequence and I'd bet that there are others in there, hence making this version available.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Teo oswald Mon 19 Mar 2018, 5:21 pm

I liked the music when the falcon goes inside the center of the planet, that music brings me back, in the scene with Han, leia and asteroids, it's very similar Smile
Teo oswald
Teo oswald
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Acritiqua Mon 19 Mar 2018, 5:23 pm

I would love for Rey and Kylo to find balance together and each of their themes complete the other.
Acritiqua
Acritiqua
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 Mon 19 Mar 2018, 7:14 pm

Riri wrote:@Kylo Rey

I was saying this on twitter, i really think Ben AND Rey deserve to hear "i love you" since they're both so lonely and have been robbed of real affection. Also lets be real, Ben is totally in love with her.

Also every trilogy has had a grand "I love you" scene with the characters theme playing in the background, we can say its Star Wars tradition Razz, i doubt it will be Finnrose since Rose has kinda already said it to Finn? "Saving what you love".

Yep i am totally on the "I love you" train Smile . All the I love yous have taken place when one/both of the characters lives are in danger.

PS - i imagine their love theme would be something like
The Last Jedi - Original Soundtrack - Page 2 Img_6225
@Riri

Omggg I want to listen to that!!!!

Also random- but in that deleted scene where Luke tricks her and she's running, Williams had a very triumphant "heroic" version of her theme. I just love how he's been giving variations of this one theme alone.

rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Dar-ren19 Mon 19 Mar 2018, 11:37 pm

@Cowgirlsamurai

@Riri

I've heard about him saying this, but have never seen the interview. Do you have a link? Smile

@rawpowah wrote:
   I want them to say "I love you" to each other. Laughing I'm sappy like that. And I want there to be no doubt at the end of the trilogy as to their feelings towards each other.

Fanboys and haters freaking out over it is also a bonus. Besides sappy, I am also petty. Laughing

So bring on the cheesy music!

@rawpowah
Laughing  Laughing

I'm sure AD with his incredibly expressive eyes and lips, and that wonderfully mobile face doesn't actually NEED to say it. But I'd like Rey to say it. Yeah. I'm petty like that too... and desperate to boot Twisted Evil Razz

Also, omg your ava is so cute!! Do you mind telling me where you found it? Did you make it? Are there more where it came from? sunny
Dar-ren19
Dar-ren19
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by rawpowah Tue 20 Mar 2018, 7:06 am

@Dar-ren19 I found it on tumblr. I didn't make it and I credited the artist who did in my signature. If you click on their name, it should take you to their tumblr account.
rawpowah
rawpowah
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by LadyHa Tue 20 Mar 2018, 9:56 am

snufkin wrote:@LadyHa Thanks for this post! I'm waiting on a very long list for my public library to get the DVD and when I do, I have your notes bookmarked for viewing. Along with the score only, no dialogue version (which BTW, I had thought of our earlier conversations about silent films the other day while watching Joan Crawford in Spring Fever). We know that he cribbed from Wings for the Canto Bight sequence and I'd bet that there are others in there, hence making this version available.
@snufkin

Yes, when Rian described it as being like a silent film, my interest really piqued. I think it works, but would love to show it to someone who hadn't seen the film before to see how much they understand.

Young Joan Crawford! My partner, who is generally immune to celebrity crushing, gets all giddy over her, especially in The Unknown:

The Last Jedi - Original Soundtrack - Page 2 Joan-c11
LadyHa
LadyHa
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Tue 20 Mar 2018, 11:34 pm

@LadyHa I think when I finally get a copy, I'm going to watch that version first. And yes, Joan Crawford in that phase of her career is something else. Like you can tell why Douglas Fairbanks, Jr. was gaga over her.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Teo oswald Wed 21 Mar 2018, 5:42 am

when they touch their fingers there is that music, that music is the answer Smile
Teo oswald
Teo oswald
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next