Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Jedi General Discussion

+65
Atenais
AhsokaTano
bashfulblueeyes3
Mila95
Moonlight13
CienaRee
kroi
Piper Maru
RosiePancake
nickandnora
Riri
Teo oswald
KnightsofReylo_2015
MindAndMagic
12 Parsnips
tukicarreno
EchoBase
Tex
cherrylipstick
Darth Dingbat
californiagirl
vaderito
whisperingwillow
special_cases
Rei of Sunshine
Birdwoman
Cowgirlsamurai
Dar-ren19
ISeeAnIsland
Mana
Xylo Ren
Gemlake
Darth_Awakened
twilekempire
Moonjump05
Saracene
ZioRen
lauvamp
rey09
Kylo Men
IoJovi
Armadeus
Reynak
DeeBee
giaciak2
Kessel
Kylo Rey
snufkin
SkyStar
SoloSideCousin
Darth Dementor
MyOnlyHope
thescavenger
Reylo Lemon
FrolickingFizzgig
Irina de France
MrsWindu
SheLitAFire
Let The Past Die
Ynqve
motherofpearl1
Starliteprism
Night Huntress
BB-Rey
rawpowah
69 posters

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Last Jedi General Discussion - Page 12 Empty Re: The Last Jedi General Discussion

Post by Let The Past Die Thu 01 Feb 2018, 10:18 am

Night Huntress wrote:
Let The Past Die wrote:...I would say, I saw it as regret  but my male coworker saw it as, I'm going to destroy you wait until next time! (I know!!!!)
@Let The Past Die

I think your coworker belongs to the same group of people who said Kylo will shoot his mother after the trailer was released.
I heard some people saying he looked angry and determined and will pull that trigger... Suspect

How can anyone be so bad at reading expressions? How do they interact with people in real life? I mean Adam Driver is a really really good actor you can't make it more obvious. You can read all the emotions on his face like an open book.

He looks like a kicked sad puppy by the end of TLJ! He is definitely not angry! Kylo looking angry is something you can't mistake as regret.
@Night Huntress

Exactly!

Thankfully my colleague is open to a fair and open discussion, but we still disagree at the end. He also thinks that even though Kylo wants to destroy Rey, she will turn to the dark side and we are left with 2 dark force users at the end of IX! No matter what logical reasoning I use its pointless. I will say he brings no logical arguments, he is going with what he feels and because of Star Wars forums he visits, and that's what others are saying. Do he is not alone in his ideas. *sighs*
Let The Past Die
Let The Past Die
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

The Last Jedi General Discussion - Page 12 Empty Re: The Last Jedi General Discussion

Post by Night Huntress Thu 01 Feb 2018, 10:33 am

Let The Past Die wrote:
Thankfully my colleague is open to a fair and open discussion, but we still disagree at the end. He also thinks that even though Kylo wants to destroy  Rey, she will turn to the dark side and we are left with 2 dark force users at the end of IX!  No matter what logical reasoning I use its pointless. I will say he brings no logical arguments,  he is going with what he feels and because of Star Wars forums he visits, and that's what others are saying. Do he is not alone in his ideas. *sighs*
@Let The Past Die

I personally understand that some people have a different perception of the movie and most of them I get. Like Kylo can only be redeemed if he dies - I disagree but I understand why some are thinking the story would go that way.
But ending a fairy-tale in space story which is about hope and basically made for children and middle-aged nerds  Wink with two dark force users at the end??? Sorry, but they really really didn't get what Star Wars is about- like at all! Rolling Eyes

I usually avoid discussing SW with this kind of people - better change the topic and save the energy silent
Night Huntress
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen Thu 01 Feb 2018, 1:33 pm

There's no question that Rian knew exactly what tone he wanted every time he directed a scene, even if what we see on-screen is "ambiguous". I think the Reylo scenes were obviously directed with an underlying, burgeoning romance in mind, one that can easily be built into a dramatic crescendo should IX's director choose to utilize it. Rian just refuses to say it out loud so as not to step on JJ's toes or on fan theories. The guy even refuses to give his "theory" on what happened to the Jedi students who went with Kylo when we all know he came up with a full answer before including it in his movie. Rian isn't the type to throw in details for no reason and with no thought.

So basically, I think Rian had romance firmly in mind when directing Reylo scenes. But for the sake of the film's "ambiguity", he portrayed it in a more subtle way without outright "I love you". And because that ambiguity was purposeful, he refuses to say out loud and bluntly that he directed Reylo as romantic in nature. On the same note, I'm entirely sure that Adam and Daisy are aware of it too but they similarly won't say anything.
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Thu 01 Feb 2018, 1:50 pm

ZioRen wrote:There's no question that Rian knew exactly what tone he wanted every time he directed a scene, even if what we see on-screen is "ambiguous". I think the Reylo scenes were obviously directed with an underlying, burgeoning romance in mind, one that can easily be built into a dramatic crescendo should IX's director choose to utilize it. Rian just refuses to say it out loud so as not to step on JJ's toes or on fan theories. The guy even refuses to give his "theory" on what happened to the Jedi students who went with Kylo when we all know he came up with a full answer before including it in his movie. Rian isn't the type to throw in details for no reason and with no thought.

So basically, I think Rian had romance firmly in mind when directing Reylo scenes. But for the sake of the film's "ambiguity", he portrayed it in a more subtle way without outright "I love you". And because that ambiguity was purposeful, he refuses to say out loud and bluntly that he directed Reylo as romantic in nature. On the same note, I'm entirely sure that Adam and Daisy are aware of it too but they similarly won't say anything.
@ZioRen
I don't think Rian's been all that coy to be honest. I mean, dude compared Kylo's "join me" speech to a romcom proposal. It's undeniable that he had romance in mind when he directed their scenes. You have to be be stuck in your tent in Denialville to not see it. He has been no less subtle than the film itself, the problem is some fans are never going to be swayed by how many times he goes on tangents about the intimacy he wanted to create, Kylo's vulnerability while in Rey's presence, etc. I have actually seen it stated that their relationship can't be romantic because they didn't kiss and don't have a "love theme". Goalposts, in motion they always are.

Personally I see any small amount of coyness as a good sign because it's a strong indication that there's much more to come and Rian doesn't see it as his responsibility to define a relationship that the story is eventually going to define anyway. While it's obvious where this is all leading, it's not there yet and sometimes it's best to just let a story speak for itself.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Teo oswald Thu 01 Feb 2018, 2:27 pm

from star wars databank :
1-  Kylo was determined to destroy the last remnants of the Jedi, fulfilling the legacy of Darth Vader.
2-  Kylo swore his loyalties were only to Snoke. But he was intrigued when he captured Rey, a Jakku scavenger whose Force abilities were raw but very powerful. A mysterious connection seemed to link the two.
- 3 -Kylo Ren had hoped to end the conflicts that caused him so such pain, but found he remained at war with himself, more lost than ever.  
- 4 - Castigated by Snoke as weak and sentimental, Kylo led a mission to destroy Leia Organa’s Resistance flagship, but found himself unable to fire on his mother. He was also confused by an increasingly strong Force connection with Rey, who had sought out Luke Skywalker to train her in the ways of the Force.

1 - now Rey is The last Jedì as far as we know
2 -we know that their connection has formed here, also the meeting with Rey will question Kylo and his loyalty to Snoke
3 - I still think that kylo did not want to kill his father, I have this idea fixed in my head
4 - here is something to note, Kylo gets angry not because he lost to Rey but because Snoke told him he failed
a person would be angry if they told him he lost to a girl, but he flew over and got angry at something else. Interesting  Cool
Also betray his loyalty to Snoke with whom he spent almost half his life, just because Snoke told him that he was disappointed or because he combined Kylo's mind with  Rey's mind it's not a valid reason .  Rey should be an enemy and instead Smile Kylo  kills Snoke  and betrays him for Rey, the reason is always the girl  and in all this he does not feel lost, he knows what he has to do . Only at the end will he be lost again and again the cause is always and only Rey Smile
Teo oswald
Teo oswald
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Thu 01 Feb 2018, 2:58 pm

So speaking of the LOL Twilight type of bullshit arguments, this came up in terms of how 50 Shades is a guilty pleasure for some and the arguments which cropped up around it. Am I wrong in assuming some of the people who hate on any type of discussion about these two characters and their relationship are just a fast moving mob that goes from pop culture product to pop culture product and seeing it through the same lens/engaging in the same behavior regardless of the work?

50 Shades is not a good movie. I Loved It.

In a 2013 Sexualities article, academics Sarah Harman and Bethan Jones posited that “anti-fans” of Fifty Shades have been more central to its wild popularity than sincere readers of the book. Hate-readers argued over, obsessed, and reenacted the book with the zeal of true believers; perhaps they’re even secretly responsible for the book’s best-seller status. “One wonders whether this constructed Other of the ‘vanilla’ housewife, the undiscerning reader of ‘trash’, truly exists except as an imagined spectre,” Harman and Jones write. Perhaps for most readers of the book, it’s actually the hate-reading experience that “offers the real readerly pleasures of performing and sharing distinctions of taste.” Emma Green reports in the Atlantic that contrary to the aging housewife stereotype, “about a third of the people who bought the books in the U.S. were actually 18 to 29 years old.”
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey Thu 01 Feb 2018, 5:12 pm

I've seen a lot of discussion about Rey's decision in the throne room, but this hits on a point I haven't seen elaborated as much:

Y’all!! I just realized that one of the reasons Rey is so quick to point out that the fleet needs help immediately after the throne room fight scene instead of pausing for .2 seconds to see if Ben is alright is not just because she wants to help her friends (of course she does) but also because she’s not ready to deal with the romantic ramifications of everything that just happened between them.

That look on Ben’s face after he kills the last guard? It’s intense. It’s, in my opinion, unmistakeable. @starwarsconnection describes his head space after the fight scene as going in for the hug. I’d agree and go even further. In this moment he is 100% ready to sweep Rey into his arms and kiss her right there on the spot.

And Rey cannot deal with that right now- because of the resistance of course but also because this- romance, attraction, intense affection- is too new and scary for her. She’s not ready for that and so she deflects immediately, instantly, without thinking because oh dammit. He’s looking at her like that and she can’t take it. She has to get out of there. She has to stop or she’ll fall into his arms or she’ll- So she deflects to protect herself.

And you could argue that no, she really is just worried about the resistance and of course she is! But if that is really all that were going on here, she would have asked him if he was okay. That seems counterintuitive but it’s not. It’s just human. She’d have said something- a word or expression of concern or delight or relief to him, some acknowledgement of everything that just happened between them. Of what they just did together. That would be the normal human reaction (and you don’t stop being human just because you are on a mission). The reason she turns her attention away so quickly- so startlingly quickly really- is because she is not prepared for the ramifications of everything that just happened.

Obviously this is not a “how dare she not hug him” point I’m trying to make OBVIOUSLY. It wasn’t the time. Of course she couldn’t just fall into his arms. This is just a “it’s so cute that she can’t really deal with the intensity of their connection” point I’m trying to make. and WOW. It really is. It’s so cute and realistic and truthful that she’d take all those feelings inside of her and shove them away from her in that moment because the significance of them is too great for her to bear or deal with or fully understand.

Of course it doesn’t prevent his subsequent marriage proposal- how could it. That was coming like a storm she couldn’t hold off. But she tried to hold it off- both so that she wouldn’t have to reject it and also because in her heart I think Rey is still a little afraid even of something she wants so much. It’s so human. I love it so much.

Source: http://reylohasmyheart.tumblr.com/post/170369989601/yall-i-just-realized-that-one-of-the-reasons

Kylo oozes sexual intensity in that moment and in that very brief moment (where it's almost like they're both under a spell), Rey can feel the intensity of his feelings lasering in on her and is frightened of the intensity of her own feelings. It's a strange new feeling. Passion is part of the dark side and it's a part of herself that she rejects. It's the very genuine, realistic, nervous reaction of a 19 year old girl from a desert planet who has experienced little to no human contact for the majority of her life. It also matches her reaction to seeing him shirtless. It's all about the journey through adolescence.
Kylo Rey
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsWindu Thu 01 Feb 2018, 6:10 pm

I swear there was a thread somewhere about the Blu Ray - but I can't find it for the life of me - moderators please move if needed.  I'm still looking forward the directors commentary version just to hear Rian talk about the process more.

‘The Last Jedi’: Rian Johnson Details the Deleted Scenes, Explains Why They Were Cut

http://collider.com/the-last-jedi-deleted-scenes-rian-johnson/

During the Q&A, Johnson went into detail about two of the longer deleted scenes/sequences for the Star Wars: The Last Jedi Blu-ray, the tough decisions that went into his final edit of the film, the length of the scenes, and the promise that they’re not holding anything back for a later video release. Here’s what he had to say:

We really went for it on that. We have a lot of deleted scenes. We have deleted sequences. There are two big sequences that are really the kind of hero pieces of it. One is a whole other big thing between Rey and Luke on the island that involves the Caretaker creatures. You see this village where the Caretakers–the Nun Fish creatures–live, and it’s a sequence that I always really loved. It’s a really beautiful sequence. It’s one of those things where … and this always happens in the edit, it’s like suddenly you can see through the Matrix and you’re like, “Oh my God, that big sequence that I love so much and I can’t imagine the movie without, if we lift it out and put these two things together, it plays in a slightly different way but it plays better.” And you just kind of have that, “::sigh:: s***,” and you hit delete. You don’t think about all the stuff we built on set to get the shots, you don’t think about all the work the actors and the crew did, you just hit one button and it’s gone and the movie’s better … It’s three, four minutes.

EDIT - sorry if all this has been discussed and I'm late to the party. I literally had to go AWOL to due work and missed the forum terribly
MrsWindu
MrsWindu
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin Thu 01 Feb 2018, 6:24 pm

Kylo Rey wrote:I've seen a lot of discussion about Rey's decision in the throne room, but this hits on a point I haven't seen elaborated as much:

Y’all!! I just realized that one of the reasons Rey is so quick to point out that the fleet needs help immediately after the throne room fight scene instead of pausing for .2 seconds to see if Ben is alright is not just because she wants to help her friends (of course she does) but also because she’s not ready to deal with the romantic ramifications of everything that just happened between them.

That look on Ben’s face after he kills the last guard? It’s intense. It’s, in my opinion, unmistakeable. @starwarsconnection describes his head space after the fight scene as going in for the hug. I’d agree and go even further. In this moment he is 100% ready to sweep Rey into his arms and kiss her right there on the spot.

And Rey cannot deal with that right now- because of the resistance of course but also because this- romance, attraction, intense affection- is too new and scary for her. She’s not ready for that and so she deflects immediately, instantly, without thinking because oh dammit. He’s looking at her like that and she can’t take it. She has to get out of there. She has to stop or she’ll fall into his arms or she’ll- So she deflects to protect herself.

And you could argue that no, she really is just worried about the resistance and of course she is! But if that is really all that were going on here, she would have asked him if he was okay. That seems counterintuitive but it’s not. It’s just human. She’d have said something- a word or expression of concern or delight or relief to him, some acknowledgement of everything that just happened between them. Of what they just did together. That would be the normal human reaction (and you don’t stop being human just because you are on a mission). The reason she turns her attention away so quickly- so startlingly quickly really- is because she is not prepared for the ramifications of everything that just happened.

Obviously this is not a “how dare she not hug him” point I’m trying to make OBVIOUSLY. It wasn’t the time. Of course she couldn’t just fall into his arms. This is just a “it’s so cute that she can’t really deal with the intensity of their connection” point I’m trying to make. and WOW. It really is. It’s so cute and realistic and truthful that she’d take all those feelings inside of her and shove them away from her in that moment because the significance of them is too great for her to bear or deal with or fully understand.

Of course it doesn’t prevent his subsequent marriage proposal- how could it. That was coming like a storm she couldn’t hold off. But she tried to hold it off- both so that she wouldn’t have to reject it and also because in her heart I think Rey is still a little afraid even of something she wants so much. It’s so human. I love it so much.

Source: http://reylohasmyheart.tumblr.com/post/170369989601/yall-i-just-realized-that-one-of-the-reasons

Kylo oozes sexual intensity in that moment and in that very brief moment (where it's almost like they're both under a spell), Rey can feel the intensity of his feelings lasering in on her and is frightened of the intensity of her own feelings. It's a strange new feeling. Passion is part of the dark side and it's a part of herself that she rejects. It's the very genuine, realistic, nervous reaction of a 19 year old girl from a desert planet who has experienced little to no human contact for the majority of her life. It also matches her reaction to seeing him shirtless. It's all about the journey through adolescence.
@Kylo Rey

This is an excellent analysis. I actually thought the same thing, but I didnt express it because without a DVD/Blu-Ray I couldn't prove it easily. But she *does* look at him very briefly and then anxiously averts her eyes and runs to the screen. On my first viewing I immediately thought she was having a teenage, "OMG! This is too intense! I'm so nervous, I can't look at him while he's staring like that," kind of moment. But it happens so quick and everything gets overwhelmed by the Resistance issue, but I think once the DVD we will see this nervous girl "look-away".
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Thu 01 Feb 2018, 6:43 pm

SoloSideCousin wrote:
Kylo Rey wrote:I've seen a lot of discussion about Rey's decision in the throne room, but this hits on a point I haven't seen elaborated as much:

@Kylo Rey

This is an excellent analysis. I actually thought the same thing, but I didnt express it because without a DVD/Blu-Ray I couldn't prove it easily. But she *does* look at him very briefly and then anxiously averts her eyes and runs to the screen. On my first viewing I immediately thought she was having a teenage, "OMG! This is too intense! I'm so nervous, I can't look at him while he's staring like that," kind of moment. But it happens so quick and everything gets overwhelmed by the Resistance issue, but I think once the DVD we will see this nervous girl "look-away".
@SoloSideCousin

I can’t believe I didn’t catch this until now! I’m literally in shock that it’s taking this post pointing it out for me to see it. Rey CLEARLY cannot face her true feelings and as such runs towards the viewport with “The fleet!” moment, in response to Ben looking at her after all they went through with that hunger in his eyes. Now I can’t unsee it!

Oh Rian! Romantic drama indeed! Laughing
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by nickandnora Thu 01 Feb 2018, 6:47 pm

Yeah, seriously, this line of thought about Kylo's gaze after the fight (and her subsequent reaction to it) is SO spot on, I can't believe I didn't see it before... or that I saw it but didn't really process what I was seeing.

nickandnora
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Thu 01 Feb 2018, 6:58 pm

nickandnora wrote:Yeah, seriously, this line of thought about Kylo's gaze after the fight (and her subsequent reaction to it) is SO spot on, I can't believe I didn't see it before... or that I saw it but didn't really process what I was seeing.
@nickandnora

Right? I feel like I need to turn in my Reylo shipper card for not catching it. It’s so dang obvious now! Laughing

Oh Rey honey - it seems that you are in denial about more than just your parents being deadbeat drunks.  Seriously though I’m brought back to the part where she is explaining to Luke that Ben Solo is the galaxy’s only hope, yada yada.  Maybe that’s what she was also telling her self on the surface - that it was to save the galaxy.  I’m still of the mind she saw her future with Ben and of them together and happy when they touched hands - not just a redeemed Ben Solo by himself.  Still, seeing something on paper and knowing and facing it in your heart are two different things...
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey Thu 01 Feb 2018, 7:02 pm

Yeah, those thoughts crystallised in my head when I saw a clearer quality gif set of that scene on tumblr. I think it will be noticed on the blu ray more. But Rey does have that brief moment of hesitation and then she turns away because it's like she almost cannot bear the tension of Kylo looking at her like that (I mean it was intense AF anyway, but for a girl like Rey, it would have been double so). Contrast that with her reactions to Finn (who remember is one of the first males she got to acquaint herself with as more than just a stranger) and it's clear that she feels the nervous pangs of intense attraction. Kylo is her sexual awakening.
Kylo Rey
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl Thu 01 Feb 2018, 7:26 pm

Kylo Rey wrote:Yeah, those thoughts crystallised in my head when I saw a clearer quality gif set of that scene on tumblr. I think it will be noticed on the blu ray more. But Rey does have that brief moment of hesitation and then she turns away because it's like she almost cannot bear the tension of Kylo looking at her like that (I mean it was intense AF anyway, but for a girl like Rey, it would have been double so). Contrast that with her reactions to Finn (who remember is one of the first males she got to acquaint herself with as more than just a stranger) and it's clear that she feels the nervous pangs of intense attraction. Kylo is her sexual awakening.
@Kylo Rey

Ooo, there are good gifs of TLJ? Can you point this scene out to me? I only saw TLJ once, and SW movies don't stream on Amazon or anywhere for streaming later on. Sad
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel Thu 01 Feb 2018, 7:34 pm

@Kylo Rey

That post is so on point. I remember seeing a series of gifs for that scene on Tumblr that shows and discusses Rey’s reaction similarly too. I can’t find it though as I didn’t sign in when I looked it on Tumblr.  Maybe someone else has seen it?  

I agree that Kylo’s look is really intense when he pushes away the last guard after stabbing it in the face and throws its lance aside. And he’s looking right at Rey the whole time. There’s no way she didn’t feel the intensity of that look. She seems a little lost and she’s a pretty self assertive person in general so if she didn’t like the look, I don’t think she’d be so awkward (i.e. she wasn’t awkward when she told Finn it was none of his business after he asked if she had a cute BF and she wasn’t awkward when he grabbed her hand and she told him to stop).

When she turns to rush over to the magnifying view port she gives Kylo another quick look which is cute. Her reaction makes so much sense. When you’re young and inexperienced, it can be awkward and scary when someone likes you like that and looks at you so intensely when you like them the same way too.
Kessel
Kessel

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey Thu 01 Feb 2018, 7:46 pm

@californiagirl @Kessel Gifs of the scene in question: https://ifyoustrikemedown.tumblr.com/post/170354756875

He doesn't take his eyes off her the entire time.
Kylo Rey
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonjump05 Thu 01 Feb 2018, 7:58 pm

Kylo Rey wrote:@californiagirl @Kessel Gifs of the scene in question: https://ifyoustrikemedown.tumblr.com/post/170354756875

@Kylo Rey

He even has that left eye twitch going on in the second gif...

Hot damn, Rey didn't know how to handle it
Moonjump05
Moonjump05
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel Thu 01 Feb 2018, 8:05 pm

Kylo Rey wrote:@californiagirl @Kessel Gifs of the scene in question: https://ifyoustrikemedown.tumblr.com/post/170354756875

@Kylo Rey

Yes, those are it! Thank you so much for posting them! Smile

Just looking at those gifs of him..wow, I don’t know how anyone could deny how Kylo feels about Rey.
Kessel
Kessel

Back to top Go down

Post by MyOnlyHope Thu 01 Feb 2018, 8:18 pm

Kylo Rey wrote:Yeah, those thoughts crystallised in my head when I saw a clearer quality gif set of that scene on tumblr. I think it will be noticed on the blu ray more. But Rey does have that brief moment of hesitation and then she turns away because it's like she almost cannot bear the tension of Kylo looking at her like that (I mean it was intense AF anyway, but for a girl like Rey, it would have been double so). Contrast that with her reactions to Finn (who remember is one of the first males she got to acquaint herself with as more than just a stranger) and it's clear that she feels the nervous pangs of intense attraction. Kylo is her sexual awakening.
@Kylo Rey
Totally. Even in TFA, she goes from assertively dehumanizing him to doing everything she can to divert her gaze after he unmasks, to forcing herself to stare at the nothing in front of her so she doesn't have to face the fact that she's getting some all new, unfamiliar feels from looking at him. Her trying not to stare while stealing a couple quick glances is so forced and obvious I just have to roll my eyes when people try to say they don't see it. J.J. knew exactly what he was going for.

Denial is one of Rey's defining character traits. Most of the time she just refuses to handle situations that are too personally intense for her to deal with, anything that reveals her vulnerabilities. She handles throwing herself into dangerous situations awesomely, but when it comes to things that draw attention to her personal vulnerabilities such as her parents' selling her off, her personal motives for seeking out Luke, or her feelings for Kylo, she just can't deal. She gets everything she wants from Kylo in the throne room, but then she totally isn't prepared to face what comes next (like she has fighting for her life down, but she can't deal with Kylo's totally ravenous gaze at the end). Kylo initiating with that look and starting to move toward her is too much. The hand scene worked for Rey because she was the one initiating. Great characterization for a young woman who grew up alone with only herself to rely on. Of course she can't face her vulnerabilities unless she's the one in control. Rey being such a denier is pretty much the reason why I can't take criticism of Rey's character toward the end of TLJ seriously. It's fine if somebody feels that way, and I would never care to debate it, but I just don't think it makes much sense to criticize Rey for being in character. We got just enough. Her facing her feelings and accepting what they really mean all while playing her part in freeing the galaxy is an arc in and of itself that needs to be covered in its own film.

MyOnlyHope
MyOnlyHope
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin Thu 01 Feb 2018, 8:27 pm

Moonjump05 wrote:

@Kylo Rey

@Moonjump05

Holy crap! That second gif!!!!!!!!!!! He actually almost smiles and has this total, "OMG! I want to f*** you right now" look!!!!!!!

I am sorry to be crude, but that look is lustful, passionate, hungry, sexual, desire to the 1000th degree!!!

Gifs are so freaking wondeful!!!! Very Happy

And oh she sees it alright. She stares for a second, has to look away, but can't help but look at him again. (I never saw that second look from her until these gifs). OMG, she wants him so bad and it's scaring the hell out of her!
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai Thu 01 Feb 2018, 8:34 pm

SoloSideCousin wrote:
Moonjump05 wrote:

@Kylo Rey

@Moonjump05

Holy crap! That second gif!!!!!!!!!!! He actually almost smiles and has this total, "OMG! I want to f*** you right now" look!!!!!!!

I am sorry to be crude, but that look is lustful, passionate, hungry, sexual, desire to the 1000th degree!!!

And oh she sees it alright. She stares for a second, has to look away, but can't help but look at him again. (I never saw that second look from her until these gifs). OMG, she wants him so bad and it's scaring the hell out of her!
@SoloSideCousin

Yesss. I always thought it’s like she’s trying to change the subject when she brings up the fleet, but they haven’t said anything post fight yet. (At least not vocally. Their eyes tell all.) Wink
Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Tex Thu 01 Feb 2018, 8:43 pm

SoloSideCousin wrote:
Moonjump05 wrote:

@Kylo Rey

@Moonjump05

@SoloSideCousin

OMG yes, all this. The intensity is off the charts. It's got me melting over here. The way he just throws down that weapon without breaking eye contact with her. Stretcher

Understandably, Rey runs away, cause she's not ready. She's like, wait, we're only on date number 5 and we just started holding hands Laughing
Tex
Tex
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Thu 01 Feb 2018, 9:15 pm

Rey and Kylo's entire throne sequence makes me think of my favourite Spike speeches from Buffy (because really, Spike gives the best speeches). The first is his possessive, obsessive perspective on love (between Angel and Buffy) from season 2 and the second is his reevaluated perspective on his own feelings about Buffy from the final story arc:
You're not friends. You'll never be friends. You'll be in love till it kills you both. You'll fight and you'll shag and you'll hate each other till it makes you quiver, but you'll never be friends. Love isn't brains, children. It's blood. Blood screaming inside you to work its will."
When I say I love you, it's not because I want you, or because I can't have you. It has nothing to do with me. I love what you are. What you do. How you try. I've seen your kindness and your strength. I've seen the best and the worst of you, and I understand with perfect clarity exactly what you are: you're a hell of a woman. You're the one.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Thu 01 Feb 2018, 9:42 pm

MyOnlyHope wrote:Denial is one of Rey's defining character traits. Most of the time she just refuses to handle situations that are too personally intense for her to deal with, anything that reveals her vulnerabilities. She handles throwing herself into dangerous situations awesomely, but when it comes to things that draw attention to her personal vulnerabilities such as her parents' selling her off, her personal motives for seeking out Luke, or her feelings for Kylo, she just can't deal. She gets everything she wants from Kylo in the throne room, but then she totally isn't prepared to face what comes next (like she has fighting for her life down, but she can't deal with Kylo's totally ravenous gaze at the end). Kylo initiating with that look and starting to move toward her is too much. The hand scene worked for Rey because she was the one initiating. Great characterization for a young woman who grew up alone with only herself to rely on. Of course she can't face her vulnerabilities unless she's the one in control. Rey being such a denier is pretty much the reason why I can't take criticism of Rey's character toward the end of TLJ seriously. It's fine if somebody feels that way, and I would never care to debate it, but I just don't think it makes much sense to criticize Rey for being in character. We got just enough. Her facing her feelings and accepting what they really mean all while playing her part in freeing the galaxy is an arc in and of itself that needs to be covered in its own film.
@MyOnlyHope

See, I'm totally fine with the idea of Rey being a denier, and there's definitely material in the film to support that, but it seems to be the aspect that is only ever discussed in this tiny corner of the fandom. Even people involved with the creation of Rey don't delve into it; like that time when Rian was talking about the parentage reveal scene and how disappointing it was for Rey to find out that her parents were nothing. I was like, um so how about the fact that Rey herself buried the knowledge of her parents and what they did to her and lived in denial for years? He didn't go into that aspect of Rey at all and kinda made it sound like Rey's heritage was something that Rey learned in that scene, rather than admitted to knowing. So I'm really not sure how much of the "denial" aspect of Rey is intentional and how much of it is the accidental result of other considerations and plain sloppy writing.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Thu 01 Feb 2018, 9:56 pm

Tex wrote:
SoloSideCousin wrote:
Moonjump05 wrote:

@Kylo Rey

@Moonjump05

@SoloSideCousin

OMG yes, all this. The intensity is off the charts. It's got me melting over here. The way he just throws down that weapon without breaking eye contact with her. Stretcher

Understandably, Rey runs away, cause she's not ready. She's like, wait, we're only on date number 5 and we just started holding hands Laughing
@Tex

Guys, this is such a wonderful find, isn’t it?  I am still absolutely in awe it’s taken us seven freaking weeks to notice what should have been in front of our faces this whole time.  I’ll also agree that while a few criticize Rey’s characterization as being without flaws, this one is really hits home her biggest one - a propensity for denial.  Denial to the fact her parents were never coming back and denial that there is a very raw, primal and intense attraction to the one person who should be her enemy.  The Force bond only allowed that connection grow, but it was already there.  

Rey and Ben are on opposing extremes and yet so close in similarities. He wants to let the past die and to bury who he once was, but he’s in denial that burying one’s past is an impossibility and it’ll only come back to haunt you until you learn from it. She’s so far on the side of light her optimism would have kept her on Jakku waiting for a life that would never happen. Denial is pretty much her middle name, and I commiserate with Ben’s frustration that she’s still holding on.

As far as Rey being the one initiate the hand touch, on paper she knew he was half way across the galaxy so it was safe, even if feelings she didn’t quite understand may have spurred it.  In person though, that’s a whole different ballgame and it clearly scared the living daylights out of her.
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next