Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews

+49
Reynak
vaderito
Acritiqua
californiagirl
snufkin
Piper Maru
KiraRen2015
Geralt_Riv
MaddieDove
SW_Heroine_Journey
MrsWindu
shii405
Ramblingrose
Teo oswald
Lily Snape
Night Huntress
Kylo Men
AhsokaTano
Gemini
motherofpearl1
guardienne
unicorn
YeeRees
Saracene
SanghaRen
olyer
Mila95
nickandnora
cherrylipstick
MindAndMagic
Armadeus
Kyla Ren
rey09
DeeBee
Krafty
Cowgirlsamurai
LadyHa
Atenais
ZioRen
tukicarreno
SheLitAFire
spacebaby45678
FrolickingFizzgig
Moonjump05
SkyStar
rawpowah
AcrosstheStars
OrionStars
special_cases
53 posters

Page 9 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next

Go down

The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews - Page 9 Empty Re: The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews

Post by OrionStars Mon 23 Dec 2019, 6:03 am

Sacrebleu wrote:I read somewhere that even Rogue One didn't do well in China, despite featuring two Chinese actors/stars.
@Sacrebleu

Because that film is just a snore-fest with unremarkable characters (Jyn Who?).
OrionStars
OrionStars
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews - Page 9 Empty Re: The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews

Post by Krafty Mon 23 Dec 2019, 6:49 am

Just want to leave this here, it makes some good points.
Link below:
TROS has a problem with Ben Solo
Krafty
Krafty
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 23 Dec 2019, 6:55 am

OrionStars wrote:
Sacrebleu wrote:I read somewhere that even Rogue One didn't do well in China, despite featuring two Chinese actors/stars.
@Sacrebleu

Because that film is just a snore-fest with unremarkable characters (Jyn Who?).
@OrionStars

Lol. I actually liked Rogue One much more than I expected to. I just think that trying to shape Star Wars for the Chinese market may be futile at this point, if that indeed is what they're trying to do.

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 Mon 23 Dec 2019, 7:03 am

I think a lot of Western films don't do well in Communist countries, the proof will be if this film stays on release in the UK, Europe, and the US.

LF have delayed the release of the art book until the end of March, because that's about the time TLJ finished it's theatrical run, but I wonder if TROS will stay on the big screen that long?
Off topic...is anyone here still interested in buying any of the tie in books?
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by OrionStars Mon 23 Dec 2019, 7:31 am

motherofpearl1 wrote:I think a lot of Western films don't do well in Communist countries, the proof will be if this film stays on release in the UK, Europe, and the US.

LF have delayed the release of the art book until the end of March, because that's about the time TLJ finished it's theatrical run, but I wonder if TROS will stay on the big screen that long?
@motherofpearl1

Are you kidding? Marvel, Harry Potter, LOTR do really well in every territory, even lesser franchises like Transformer, Fast and Furious,..etc... perform better in the oversea markets than Star Wars. SW is the only franchise that can't do well in other countries that aren't named USA
OrionStars
OrionStars
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 Mon 23 Dec 2019, 7:39 am

That's news to me!
I think my age is showing....
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen Mon 23 Dec 2019, 8:17 am

Krafty wrote:Just want to leave this here, it makes some good points.
Link below:
@Krafty

It makes excellent points. I still cannot believe they left the jedi temple story for a comic book in which you can actually see how much he doesn’t want to kill anyone. Ok, it was only the first issue, and I am pretty sure he will kill in the next 3. But it’s painful to see how he avoids killing while one person, a “good” person, is very keen on “justice”. It feels like the “good” people pushed him off the edge.

One thing I disagree with in this article, is that it was obvious to me in TFA that he was not in favor of Starkiller, which was Hux’s baby.
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Atenais Mon 23 Dec 2019, 8:45 am

Krafty wrote:Just want to leave this here, it makes some good points.
Link below:

This article makes great and valid points. And, better, it shows people actually care about Kylo/Ben and would like to know more about him. I really like how the author let implicated that Ben shouldn't die to be redeemed and how his death weakens the sacrifice of his family.

In the end, Ben Solo dies saving Rey–an act of monumental love for the only person who ever really believed in him. At least, that’s how he feels about her. It’s clear our original trilogy heroes believed in his capacity for good, since all three died in service of his redemption–at least from a story perspective. But Ben’s death feels like a strange way of paying tribute to Han, Luke, and Leia. They all die so Ben can do a good thing and die, too. Is death really the only path to betterment in Star Wars?

It feels like a nihilistic ending for the Skywalker family. A neglectful transference of emotional care for one lost and lonely child over the other. There was room for the Skywalkers to love both Ben and Rey. There was also room for a story of atonement in life–a far more interesting and complicated choice for the trilogy’s most interesting and complicated character.
Atenais
Atenais
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

https://parthenoninruins.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyla Ren Mon 23 Dec 2019, 12:47 pm

motherofpearl1 wrote:I think a lot of Western films don't do well in Communist countries,  the proof will be if this film stays on release in the UK, Europe, and the US.

@motherofpearl1

At this point I don't really have much interest in anything Star Wars related.  I am just so sad and disgusted at they way they handled Kylo, Reylo, and the Skywalker saga as a whole.  If they brought Ben Solo back in a novel and he and Rey ended up together I might buy it.  But other than that, at this point I would say no.
Kyla Ren
Kyla Ren
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Atenais Mon 23 Dec 2019, 2:28 pm

I find this article very interesting and it makes good points: ‘Star Wars’ Is at War With Itself in ‘The Rise of Skywalker’: https://www.theringer.com/star-wars/2019/12/20/21030614/the-rise-of-skywalker-star-wars-jj-abrams-fans

In trying to win over everyone—including Last Jedi detractors—The Rise of Skywalker and its diminishing, redundant returns aren’t likely to please anyone hoping for a coherent ending to the Skywalker saga. If there is an underlying legacy to the new Star Wars trilogy, perhaps it’s that pursuing provocative, original ideas while maintaining some semblance of IP-driven oversight is as important as finding balance in the Force.
Atenais
Atenais
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

https://parthenoninruins.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by guardienne Mon 23 Dec 2019, 4:19 pm

redlettermedia hot take

(spoiler: i'm only halfway through. i love these guys so much.)
guardienne
guardienne
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases Mon 23 Dec 2019, 6:06 pm

I heard that even RedLetterMedia thinks that TLJ is better movie than TROS.
special_cases
special_cases
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Lily Snape Mon 23 Dec 2019, 9:27 pm

motherofpearl1 wrote:I think a lot of Western films don't do well in Communist countries, the proof will be if this film stays on release in the UK, Europe, and the US.

@motherofpearl1

I love Art of... books, but what they did to the Skywalker family and Ben and Rey and what a depressing ending they gave to this saga has really put me off. I’d read a sequel novel in which Rey brings Ben back. Or better yet, a thoughtful Episode X. Or a Disney+ show. But that’s about it. Retcon away, Lucasfilm. It’s badly needed. You’ve done it for foolish reasons— time to do it for good ones.
Lily Snape
Lily Snape
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Mon 23 Dec 2019, 10:44 pm

Hah even a writer at the Kylo Hate Bastion, The MarySue, loved Ben Solo and thought his death was a waste.

What a dumbass decision to give the audience a character they genuinely like and root for in his five minutes onscreen and who is - awww - so much like his late beloved father, then kill him off.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases Mon 23 Dec 2019, 11:03 pm

Lol Pablo gave 2 to TROS on Letterboxd and 5 to Knives Out

The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews - Page 9 Img_2033
special_cases
special_cases
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mila95 Mon 23 Dec 2019, 11:24 pm

Omg Pablo is ruthless lmao. I'm really surprised LF employees can do stuff like that and be so honest, I remember him saying some stuff about not liking TFA either.

Mila95
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai Mon 23 Dec 2019, 11:43 pm

special_cases wrote:Lol Pablo gave 2 to TROS on Letterboxd and 5 to Knives Out

@special_cases

OMG. Is this real life? Amazing Shocked
Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress Tue 24 Dec 2019, 1:16 am

LOL I really miss Pablo Hidalgo on social media - I didn't always agree with his take on Star Wars but I always appreciated his ruthless honesty. Laughing
Night Huntress
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by shii405 Tue 24 Dec 2019, 3:43 am

Was it Pablo who leaked there was alternate ending with Ben in Tatooine?
shii405
shii405
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by OrionStars Tue 24 Dec 2019, 4:27 am

@special_cases

Look what PH wrote in his Headcanon Dictionary. I hope one day PH will exile himself to a moisture farm like Ms. Palwalker too

The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews - Page 9 XDcunEO
The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews - Page 9 N55IwpD
OrionStars
OrionStars
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Tue 24 Dec 2019, 5:57 am

OrionStars wrote:

@special_cases

Look what PH wrote in his Headcanon Dictionary. I hope one day PH will exile himself to a moisture farm like Ms. Palwalker too

The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews - Page 9 XDcunEO
The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews - Page 9 N55IwpD
@OrionStars

Sith Lore? The Dyad is a Sith thing then... wow

Knives Out is not 5 stars sorry...I sense the salt is strong in PH
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by unicorn Tue 24 Dec 2019, 6:28 am

@special_cases

What a slap in the face. And so deserved.
unicorn
unicorn
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai Tue 24 Dec 2019, 10:44 am

The Rise of Skywalker Lets Rey Down in the Most Unforgivable Way Possible

Andrew Todd wrote:
If movies’ final scenes and shots are their final statements (and they are), the final statement of The Rise of Skywalker drags Rey back to the lonely place she began. The visual language places her alone in yet another desert, surrounded only by dead people and sand. Yes, she has friends elsewhere, but that’s just it – they’re offscreen. In addition to being kinda hokey, Rey taking the name “Skywalker” suggests that the Skywalkers are the family she’s been looking for all along – only, they’re all dead, and the one closest to Rey doesn’t even get to live on in the Force. That’s incredibly significant symbolically, especially since Rey was looking to fill the emotional hole of missing parents all along. If Abrams wanted the ending to say that Rey had found a new family in her friends, he would have placed her alongside that family. This ending is like ending Return of the Jedi on Vader’s funeral pyre instead of the subsequent celebration.

For anyone who’s struggled with isolation or loneliness, this ending is absolutely crushing. It tells those people that no matter what they do, they’ll always be alone; that their closest companions will all die; and through Ben’s absence, that the person with whom they connected most intimately will be straight-up forgotten. It confirms deep, terrible fears. Final images mean a lot, and this final image is damaging and hurtful, made all the crueller because Rey’s passed over in favour of cramming in yet another bit of Star Wars iconography.
Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsWindu Tue 24 Dec 2019, 12:51 pm

@shii405

I tried to stay away from leaks as much as possible in the last few months. This is a new one and I’d dearly love someone to point me in the direction of this source ?

@Cowgirlsamurai

Oh I was not expecting that from Slashfilm - but the last paragraph is most likely at the crux of my extreme reaction after only one screening. I’ve talked about it in a different thread but it hits the nail on the head for me. Rey once again isolated in the ending IS absolutely crushing, used in conjunction with that iconography was a bitter pill.
MrsWindu
MrsWindu
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Tue 24 Dec 2019, 1:47 pm

Glad to see other people picking up on the terrible hollow ending for Rey. I thought that TLJ did Rey dirty by dropping her from the climax of the movie, but this is so much worse.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 14 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next