Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews

+49
Reynak
vaderito
Acritiqua
californiagirl
snufkin
Piper Maru
KiraRen2015
Geralt_Riv
MaddieDove
SW_Heroine_Journey
MrsWindu
shii405
Ramblingrose
Teo oswald
Lily Snape
Night Huntress
Kylo Men
AhsokaTano
Gemini
motherofpearl1
guardienne
unicorn
YeeRees
Saracene
SanghaRen
olyer
Mila95
nickandnora
cherrylipstick
MindAndMagic
Armadeus
Kyla Ren
rey09
DeeBee
Krafty
Cowgirlsamurai
LadyHa
Atenais
ZioRen
tukicarreno
SheLitAFire
spacebaby45678
FrolickingFizzgig
Moonjump05
SkyStar
rawpowah
AcrosstheStars
OrionStars
special_cases
53 posters

Page 3 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Go down

The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews - Page 3 Empty Re: The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews

Post by rey09 Wed 18 Dec 2019, 9:42 pm

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
Krafty wrote:
FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
special_cases wrote:@Krafty Right now I think that they know that they made a mistake. They made Star Wars depressing. Not sad or tragic, there is simply no compensation in the story for all the tradegy. They don't need even reviews for understanding that. But BO and reviews and GA reaction will influence how they will react to this mistake.

Perhaps they made this choice while having something in the plans and we can't undertand real reason behind some decisions. But yes, I think it definitely could impact potential continuations of this story and not in comics. During TLJ promo Daisy made a few comments which actors usually make when they try to negotiate something aka get bigger salary for the next contract. I don't know why people assume that Driver will never return to the role. Why? He seems is enjoying playing this character very much. Unless there was some serious deama behind-the-scenes or Disney suddenly decided that they can't afford 10-20 millions that he will certainly ask. I mean, DIsney definitely wants to move from Lucas' Skywalkers desparately but it doesn't mean they will ignore cash cow right under their nose.
@special_cases
I don't believe for a second they'll fund a damage control film or a sequel or spinoff to TROS, but I do believe both Adam and Daisy would return to their roles for the right compensation (and for Driver, the right script/writers). There's not a chance in hell of this occurring, however. Even with willing actors LucasFilm seems prepared to go down with every ship while actively course correcting and blatantly lying in order to cover up that course correction. There will be a reaction - especially if the box office numbers are lower than predicted, but it'll probably be something more like calling up Rian and giving him the opportunity to start his work sooner in an attempt to win back the TLJ lovers.

There's no doubt they know they made a mistake, it's just a matter of if it actually reflects at the box office and if repeat viewings diminish because of the depressing, disappointing finale. This is by far their lowest reviewed Star Wars film (and the second lowest reviewed Star Wars film ever) and that's got to sting for Abrams, Terrio and everybody involved.
@FrolickingFizzgig

Oh no I don't think they will either. But I'm salty lol so I felt compelled to say ask, as I feel any GA who watches and is disappointed will be asking the same question. I'm just curious because...well I don't know. These films just were the ones that tipped me over the edge about film so much that l'm going to school for it. Just this is my thing. So the creative decisions going forward are just of a particular interest lol
@Krafty
I really don't know. I'm also curious and will be paying loose attention to their decisions depending on TROS' box office earnings. I fully expect it to flop entirely in Asia so it's all on the U.S. again, and whether or not it outperforms TLJ - well, we shall see. I do believe this will incite newfound respect for Rian because that has been a massive echo in the critical response to the film. People who loved TLJ are pissed that this movie doesn't honour it or its critically acclaimed director, and that's kind of a big deal. They're dealing with a financial flop (Solo) and now a critical flop, but we don't know how this one will perform.

If they had any sense (which they don't) they would call up Rian Johnson right now and offer him the chance to write a film about Rey and Ben.
@FrolickingFizzgig

Dear God, a reylo movie by Rian Johnson??! He joked about a makeout movie. Disney......there's only one way you can redeem yourself and it's thru that XD

Honestly I also have this tingling hope they do a standalone or something but I need to stop hoping. Disney has NO idea what they are doing. They don't know what ppl want. it's clear they have no heart for this, it's only about the cash.

rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews - Page 3 Empty Re: The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews

Post by Krafty Wed 18 Dec 2019, 9:50 pm

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
Krafty wrote:
FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
special_cases wrote:@Krafty Right now I think that they know that they made a mistake. They made Star Wars depressing. Not sad or tragic, there is simply no compensation in the story for all the tradegy. They don't need even reviews for understanding that. But BO and reviews and GA reaction will influence how they will react to this mistake.

Perhaps they made this choice while having something in the plans and we can't undertand real reason behind some decisions. But yes, I think it definitely could impact potential continuations of this story and not in comics. During TLJ promo Daisy made a few comments which actors usually make when they try to negotiate something aka get bigger salary for the next contract. I don't know why people assume that Driver will never return to the role. Why? He seems is enjoying playing this character very much. Unless there was some serious deama behind-the-scenes or Disney suddenly decided that they can't afford 10-20 millions that he will certainly ask. I mean, DIsney definitely wants to move from Lucas' Skywalkers desparately but it doesn't mean they will ignore cash cow right under their nose.
@special_cases
I don't believe for a second they'll fund a damage control film or a sequel or spinoff to TROS, but I do believe both Adam and Daisy would return to their roles for the right compensation (and for Driver, the right script/writers). There's not a chance in hell of this occurring, however. Even with willing actors LucasFilm seems prepared to go down with every ship while actively course correcting and blatantly lying in order to cover up that course correction. There will be a reaction - especially if the box office numbers are lower than predicted, but it'll probably be something more like calling up Rian and giving him the opportunity to start his work sooner in an attempt to win back the TLJ lovers.

There's no doubt they know they made a mistake, it's just a matter of if it actually reflects at the box office and if repeat viewings diminish because of the depressing, disappointing finale. This is by far their lowest reviewed Star Wars film (and the second lowest reviewed Star Wars film ever) and that's got to sting for Abrams, Terrio and everybody involved.
@FrolickingFizzgig

Oh no I don't think they will either. But I'm salty lol so I felt compelled to say ask, as I feel any GA who watches and is disappointed will be asking the same question. I'm just curious because...well I don't know. These films just were the ones that tipped me over the edge about film so much that l'm going to school for it. Just this is my thing. So the creative decisions going forward are just of a particular interest lol
@Krafty
I really don't know. I'm also curious and will be paying loose attention to their decisions depending on TROS' box office earnings. I fully expect it to flop entirely in Asia so it's all on the U.S. again, and whether or not it outperforms TLJ - well, we shall see. I do believe this will incite newfound respect for Rian because that has been a massive echo in the critical response to the film. People who loved TLJ are pissed that this movie doesn't honour it or its critically acclaimed director, and that's kind of a big deal. They're dealing with a financial flop (Solo) and now a critical flop, but we don't know how this one will perform.

If they had any sense (which they don't) they would call up Rian Johnson right now and offer him the chance to write a film about Rey and Ben.
@FrolickingFizzgig

Exactly. This.
I always really enjoy your posts, you have a way of saying all the things I was thinking but couldn't articulate fully.
I honestly don't think its a retraction that the "audience" wants/will want I think its more substance and a variant of happy conclusion that differs a little more from where we started, as we thought the preceding films were indicating (ie Rey alone with no allusion of Ben's ultimate fate in solidarity. That one is reading as a loose end to me but we'll see). This is of course all relative. I have questions that will probably fully form after I see the film on Sunday with my Reylo buddy. But a puzzle piece is missing and I'm struggling to name it in it's entirety.
Krafty
Krafty
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyla Ren Wed 18 Dec 2019, 9:52 pm

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
Krafty wrote:
FrolickingFizzgig wrote:

@special_cases

@FrolickingFizzgig

@Krafty

@FrolickingFizzgig

I think I would cry tears of joy if they got Rian to do a movie about Rey and Ben.  That would be like a dream come true. Smile
Kyla Ren
Kyla Ren
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Armadeus Wed 18 Dec 2019, 10:02 pm

rey09 wrote:
FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
Krafty wrote:
FrolickingFizzgig wrote:

@special_cases

@FrolickingFizzgig

@Krafty

@FrolickingFizzgig

Dear God, a reylo movie by Rian Johnson??! He joked about a makeout movie. Disney......there's only one way you can redeem yourself and it's thru that XD

Honestly I also have this tingling hope they do a standalone or something but I need to stop hoping. Disney has NO idea what they are doing. They don't know what ppl want. it's clear they have no heart for this, it's only about the cash.
@rey09

I have a hope they'll do a movie that's basically Orpheus in space with Rey going on a quest to bring Ben back from the afterlife... happier ending of course. It'll never happen but it's nice to dream...
Armadeus
Armadeus
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

https://www.fictionpress.com/u/564105/

Back to top Go down

Post by MindAndMagic Wed 18 Dec 2019, 10:30 pm

@Armadeus I had the exact same thought. I even started picturing it in my head as I was trying to wrap my head around the reasoning behind the creative choices in this movie. Rey’s intriguing solo quest around the galaxy as she learns more about the Force and tries to find a way to bring Ben back to life OR searches for some kind of ancient artefact that could help her do it. The possibilities are endless with good writing and creative imagination. I’d totally watch sth like this if RJ eg directed it. In theory, a suspenseful, exciting plot centred around the revival of a beloved character could be really cool. Not that I have any expectations they’d ever do it, but it’s fun to think about. What seems like a more realistic hope for the foreseeable future for me is for Adam and Daisy to star in another project together, I’d love to see that because their natural chemistry is exceptional.
MindAndMagic
MindAndMagic
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Armadeus Wed 18 Dec 2019, 11:33 pm

@MindAndMagic

Yeah... it would need writers who at least have the vaguest inkling of an idea of what they're doing Razz
Armadeus
Armadeus
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

https://www.fictionpress.com/u/564105/

Back to top Go down

Post by OrionStars Thu 19 Dec 2019, 3:11 am

@special_cases

So the bad WOM is really affecting this film as I've suspected. The earliest TROS screening in Europe was in France and the French fans were all saying "TROS is too depressing", and it "isn't suitable for children", kids cried after they saw the film, people walked out of the theater before the ending.  
The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews - Page 3 Skr5amf
OrionStars
OrionStars
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by cherrylipstick Thu 19 Dec 2019, 3:52 am

@special_cases

Oh I really hope so Rolling Eyes   Laughing
What I still can't understand is how they could think that such a story could work, even on paper it should have sounded like a disaster but they went ahead anyway. How could they think that such a depressing ending would have worked for a movie like SW and during Christmas time? This will always remain a mistery for me and, unless there are reasons or plans that we are not aware of yet, this movie seems one of the biggest backfire they ever got.
cherrylipstick
cherrylipstick

https://cherrylipstick85.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Thu 19 Dec 2019, 7:46 am

Well, if this movie is truly a financial disaster somehow (I truly don't think it will be - I dunno) then I imagine LucasFilm is going to be left in a strange position where they really can no longer afford to sweep bad reception under the rug and pretend that they have some massive handle on things that doesn't exist. I'm not here to blame Kathleen Kennedy because I don't believe this is her fault exclusively, but who knows. There are too many elements we simply don't understand because LucasFilm is not at all open about their successes or problems.

1) Was there already some plan beyond this that explains some of the decisions in this film? Good lord, I hope not.
2) Did these decisions come entirely from JJ and Terrio or were they guided by some list of script must-haves?
3) What do people actually dislike about this film? Pacing? Depressing tone? JJ's breakneck style finally being taken so far it cracks?
4) What do people actually like about this film and want to see resolved/followed up on?

Now, can LucasFilm go on without attempting to course correct this particular saga and hope to win back some support? I truly have no idea. I think the resentment and lack of trust might be so high that they could be in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation with the Skywalkers where they can no longer please anybody, even if the actors would be willing to return for some kind of spinoff or follow-up. I think it's more likely they'll shove this mess off on books and comics to resolve, but even then I'm not convinced they're capable of shoving aside their pride for 2 seconds and accepting that their approach isn't working.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Krafty Thu 19 Dec 2019, 8:06 am

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:Well, if this movie is truly a financial disaster somehow (I truly don't think it will be - I dunno) then I imagine LucasFilm is going to be left in a strange position where they really can no longer afford to sweep bad reception under the rug and pretend that they have some massive handle on things that doesn't exist. I'm not here to blame Kathleen Kennedy because I don't believe this is her fault exclusively, but who knows. There are too many elements we simply don't understand because LucasFilm is not at all open about their successes or problems.

1) Was there already some plan beyond this that explains some of the decisions in this film? Good lord, I hope not.
2) Did these decisions come entirely from JJ and Terrio or were they guided by some list of script must-haves?
3) What do people actually dislike about this film? Pacing? Depressing tone? JJ's breakneck style finally being taken so far it cracks?
4) What do people actually like about this film and want to see resolved/followed up on?

Now, can LucasFilm go on without attempting to course correct this particular saga and hope to win back some support? I truly have no idea. I think the resentment and lack of trust might be so high that they could be in a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation with the Skywalkers where they can no longer please anybody, even if the actors would be willing to return for some kind of spinoff or follow-up. I think it's more likely they'll shove this mess off on books and comics to resolve, but even then I'm not convinced they're capable of shoving aside their pride for 2 seconds and accepting that their approach isn't working.
@FrolickingFizzgig

I concur. I think the deciding factor will be the GA as well. I'm torn because I think a ton will be none the wiser while the rest will be really sad and unsatisfied. (i'm kind of thinking the kids will be the most sad because I originally thought this trilogy was for them until it pandered to the OT fans at the bell in this one) We'll have to wait and see. That's what I'm finding the most interesting right now.
Krafty
Krafty
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Thu 19 Dec 2019, 8:27 am

To be honest I'm not even discounting the possibility that they didn't give a sh*t if this film was a success or not, which sounds weird and crazy, but if they want to just drop the Skywalkers for good then there's no better way to do that than make the audience not want Disney/LF to ever touch them again. That's extra level conspiracy thinking, however. It's probably not true, it's just not something I'm writing off because I genuinely have no idea what they were thinking when they decided to conclude this saga on a fanservice-heavy, depressing note that leaves open multiple mystery box questions about the core cast.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 Thu 19 Dec 2019, 9:22 am

I love her review- she loved reylo and also nails the flaws.

rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by nickandnora Thu 19 Dec 2019, 9:39 am

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:Well, if this movie is truly a financial disaster somehow (I truly don't think it will be - I dunno) then I imagine LucasFilm is going to be left in a strange position where they really can no longer afford to sweep bad reception under the rug and pretend that they have some massive handle on things that doesn't exist. I'm not here to blame Kathleen Kennedy because I don't believe this is her fault exclusively, but who knows. There are too many elements we simply don't understand because LucasFilm is not at all open about their successes or problems.

@FrolickingFizzgig

I'm not so naïve either to believe that this will be a literal financial disaster. I mean, as far as I understand it they are currently projecting huge numbers for their opening weekend, yes? It's whether word of mouth will be good or bad and how it affects the drop-off, legs, and reception over time that will be the deciding factor. I notice a lot of the reviews are referencing this film as "fun." Is it *actually* fun, or are those reviewers just as tone deaf the people who wrote it? If the audience doesn't actually think it's fun, it's not going to garner repeat viewings. And on the other hand, while bad reviews don't necessarily spell out the death knell for a film (and often they don't), I don't think it helps that this was already a very, very heavily scrutinized release. We will see. I'm not sure it matters, nor do I particularly care.

One thing I will point out is that while I think Lucasfilm/Disney have squandered enough goodwill at this point where it might be difficult to genuinely garner renewed interest in this franchise or this film, it's also worth noting that historically Star Wars fans have been so, SO difficult in so many variety of ways that I'm sure a lot of complaints will fan on deaf ears. I suspect they are immune to most bitching at this point, and I think that only if this thing completely tanks financially AND critically on all fronts, including supplementary material and merchandising they might be like, "... oh." But again, what does it even matter at this point? This is where I was planning on my fandom ending anyway, for good or for bad (I don't like extended universe stuff, I like solid, beginning to end storytelling and that's it). Not sure where the rest of you fall on that spectrum.

On a personal note, I am very (very very) curious as to how I'm going to respond to this in light of the plot and the critical reaction in particular. While in theory I recognize that critics aren't necessarily the last word on anything, there have been very few times that I have disagreed with whatever the majority take is. There's only two times that I can recall when a movie has been classified as "rotten" that I've disagreed with. The first is the DiCaprio version of The Great Gatsby which, as an English teacher, I adored so much. I've rarely seen a film come to the table with such fresh and innovative energy, while at the same time CLEARLY understanding the nuances and themes of its source material (the novel). Seriously, can't say enough good things about it, and the critics were completely 50/50 on it. The other time was with the Gerard Butler version of Phantom of the Opera. It's not even that I completely disagree with the critics on this one, but I found the film so thoroughly enjoyable at the time that it's the only film I've seen in theaters that ties with the amount of times I saw TLJ (three times). Perhaps it was just my love of seeing some well-adored source material on the screen. Maybe that makes me like old-school Star Wars fans in that regard, I don't know, lol.

nickandnora
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire Thu 19 Dec 2019, 11:53 am

The Guardian has a mostly positive review. TROS-a Thrilling, Fun-Filled, Light Speed Finale

Now, The Rise of Skywalker has been rather coolly received in some quarters, and I certainly think it isn’t quite as strong as The Last Jedi, around which critical consensus has gathered. ... here is, I admit, some excessive MacGuffinism...
And Driver’s performance is genuinely excellent – he brings an absolute commitment to the role, distinguishing it from the tongue-in-cheek black comedy of Gleeson, and, however absurd it sounds, there is subtlety and even delicacy in his vocal range. ...
The Rise of Skywalker is socked over with such energy, such euphoric certainty. And it’s such fun: full of the rackety exuberance...
...leave us with such an exhilarating flourish.
SheLitAFire
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen Thu 19 Dec 2019, 12:07 pm

Even if Lucasfilm thought they messed up bad, I don't think they'd ever make some kind of fix-it movie. At best they'd do so in a comic or TV series. The EU has done weirder than resurrecting a supposedly dead and vanished Force user.

Even if they did that I'd be miffed, though. Maybe try not killing Kylo in the first place rather than bringing him back in some contrived, cowardly manner in a piece of media most Star Wars viewers will never see.
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire Thu 19 Dec 2019, 1:36 pm

SheLitAFire
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Atenais Thu 19 Dec 2019, 1:39 pm

nickandnora wrote:(...)One thing I will point out is that while I think Lucasfilm/Disney have squandered enough goodwill at this point where it might be difficult to genuinely garner renewed interest in this franchise or this film, it's also worth noting that historically Star Wars fans have been so, SO difficult in so many variety of ways that I'm sure a lot of complaints will fan on deaf ears. I suspect they are immune to most bitching at this point, and I think that only if this thing completely tanks financially AND critically on all fronts, including supplementary material and merchandising they might be like, "... oh." But again, what does it even matter at this point? This is where I was planning on my fandom ending anyway, for good or for bad (I don't like extended universe stuff, I like solid, beginning to end storytelling and that's it). Not sure where the rest of you fall on that spectrum.
@nickandnora

I'm in the same boat. While I enjoy reading analyzes and metas, since the trilogy is done, I'll move on. I can't expect forever to see if Kylo will come back or if Rey will have his babies. Right now the whole thing seems too contrived to make sense. I said in another thread, even if they had kept Kylo alive, story wise the movie would remain problematic.

nickandnora wrote:(...)On a personal note, I am very (very very) curious as to how I'm going to respond to this in light of the plot and the critical reaction in particular. While in theory I recognize that critics aren't necessarily the last word on anything, there have been very few times that I have disagreed with whatever the majority take is. There's only two times that I can recall when a movie has been classified as "rotten" that I've disagreed with. The first is the DiCaprio version of The Great Gatsby which, as an English teacher, I adored so much. I've rarely seen a film come to the table with such fresh and innovative energy, while at the same time CLEARLY understanding the nuances and themes of its source material (the novel). Seriously, can't say enough good things about it, and the critics were completely 50/50 on it. The other time was with the Gerard Butler version of Phantom of the Opera. It's not even that I completely disagree with the critics on this one, but I found the film so thoroughly enjoyable at the time that it's the only film I've seen in theaters that ties with the amount of times I saw TLJ (three times). Perhaps it was just my love of seeing some well-adored source material on the screen. Maybe that makes me like old-school Star Wars fans in that regard, I don't know, lol.
@nickandnora

Same! Now I'm curious about your opinion. When are you watching it? I enjoyed TLJ a lot and agree with the critics.

DeeBee wrote:I saw TLJ five times at the cinema. I'm doubtful I'll go back a second time for TROS!
@DeeBee

Same for me and my brother. I'm a Reylo he's a good-vibe fanboy. None of us want to go for a second time.

I'm curious about GA response. I talked with three decent guys, 2 told me they disliked the movie, one told me that he had fun, but, at best, the movie was mediocre. My fanboy friends - they are the brat type of fanboys - told be that the movie was ok, that was better than TLJ (they hated TLJ because, "oh, Luke, mimimi"). My brother told me that his girlfriend talked about the bad reviews, what surprised me, because none of them know English that much to read the English reviews, so, the word is spreading. Lets see.
Atenais
Atenais
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

https://parthenoninruins.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Atenais Thu 19 Dec 2019, 2:30 pm

Atenais
Atenais
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire Thu 19 Dec 2019, 2:47 pm

@Atenais

Except they didn't give fans force ghost Anakin, which was something A LOT of fans wanted, no matter what faction of the fandom they are in.
SheLitAFire
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by OrionStars Thu 19 Dec 2019, 5:58 pm

Truthfully, the fans are those who are passionate enough to repeat viewing and help franchises archive billion dollars (such as Marvel fans even watched Endgame 116 times), that's why they're called ...fans. I'm sure this film won't flop so hard like Solo movie, but it will fail to meet Disney's expectations, and the BO disaster already started

The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews - Page 3 HVx9DbV

The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews - Page 3 K0k5Ul6

Last year, According to DL's financial report, the Mouse even expected 600 million dollars profit from TLJ merchandise but it only brought 400 million dollars for them. No business company wants that kind of sith, especially the mouse, they're not the charity.  And that's the reason why the Mouse let more men step in and take charge of SW future projects, first were Kevin Feige and Jon Favreau. The mouse will never fire KK immediately because they're smart enough to avoid predictable political backlash. But frankly, I don't care about KK so what will happen to her isn't my biggest concern. As @special_cases has pointed out, the potential continuations of this story are affected by this film, and I do care about Kylo's future after this mess even though he's more like a side character in this film and the ST in general.
OrionStars
OrionStars
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases Thu 19 Dec 2019, 6:44 pm

The Robotic Familiarity of “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker”

The faults of “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” are those of the franchise over all, distilled and magnified because the film’s director, J. J. Abrams, is mainly a distiller and a magnifier, and brings virtually no originality to it.

The hermetic logic of the plot is as impeccable as it is ridiculous. It’s a drama crafted with robotic insularity for the consumption of viewers being rendered robotic at each moment of the soullessly uniform spectacle.

Abrams doesn’t offer any original, significant, or memorable images, not a glimmer of action that’s staged with a sense even of mere physical connection, let alone balletic grace or athletic splendor.

What’s more, it’s dispiriting to see the differences in how Ridley and Driver are directed. Ridley is called upon to express and overexpress, at each given moment, one given emotion, while Driver underexpresses, suggesting competing emotions. This isn’t a judgment on the skills of the two actors but, rather, what they reflect in the Star Wars universe and its creative conception: there, women, however heroic, are simple, and men are complex. It’s a reminder that the director and the four credited writers of “The Rise of Skywalker” are all male—and that the entire franchise, including the past half decade’s trio of sequels, has had no female director (and only one female screenwriter, Leigh Brackett, on “The Empire Strikes Back,” from 1980).

The negative reviews that “The Rise of Skywalker” is getting seem to me like the reverberations of Martin Scorsese’s recent anti-franchise discourse—like a critical community doing public penance for its decades of fealty to imposters and fabrications and mercantile simulacra of art, a long-overdue recognition of the distinction between corporate content and personal creation. Despite the round of art-house verities that often get ballyhooed in their stead, this is a development that nonetheless fills one, dare I say it, with a new hope for the cinema.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-front-row/the-robotic-familiarity-of-star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker
special_cases
special_cases
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases Fri 20 Dec 2019, 5:24 am

LOL I wonder how both FCHulk and JJ feel when they meet each other in person in the same film circles

The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews - Page 3 Opera_22
The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews - Page 3 Opera_23
special_cases
special_cases
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases Fri 20 Dec 2019, 6:11 am

The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews - Page 3 Opera_24

So all audience is 758 and verified audience is 20% of it silent
The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews - Page 3 Opera_25

Here is the example of Knives Out, All audience 8143, Verified 6175, so 80%. Oh Disney, Disney...

The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews - Page 3 Opera_26

Here is Metacritic

The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews - Page 3 Opera_27

special_cases
special_cases
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Atenais Fri 20 Dec 2019, 6:32 am

@special_cases, did you already watch the complete movie? If yes, did you watch on computer or did you go to cinema? I liked the comments you made about the parts you saw very much. I was thinking about dialogue in TROS, and I realized that I can't remember any standout line of the entire movie. It was or silence or expository dialogue.

I just read the review of my favorite Brazilian critic and his critic destroyed the movie. I am very sad, mainly because I agree with everything he wrote and he really liked TFA and TLJ. This movie is making me so sad, it's hard to like something, just for this something to end this way: flat.
Atenais
Atenais
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases Fri 20 Dec 2019, 6:50 am

@Atenais I watched a cam version because I broke my ankle and can't go anywhere next 2-3 weeks, especially in snow.

I'm so buffled by the dialogue in this movie, no way it wasn't intentional, they just decided to apply "it's like poetry, it rhymes" to every aspect of this movie to the point that you just give up on the real story in the middle of film and just analyze how all plotbits mirror previous movies and stories. It's so overdone that they might had put it all in a crawl and put it on silent visuals with Willaims in background. Perhaps it was attempt to make it some kind of meta rap space musical and Daisy tried to warn us.

I feel like a review from FCHulk will be brutal as Final Order

The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews - Page 3 Opera_28
The Rise of Skywalker: Professional Reviews - Page 3 Emoro110

special_cases
special_cases
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 8 ... 14  Next