Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

+69
Teo oswald
californiagirl
RosiePancake
Mila95
Starliteprism
nickandnora
Dar-ren19
Night Huntress
MyOnlyHope
rey09
rawpowah
special_cases
ReyofLightSide
nemapasara
Macha Ren
soulluos
MrsWindu
LadyHa
SkyStar
Birdwoman
AceofWands
Millicent the Cat
Tex
motherofpearl1
Kylo Men
Irina de France
BigDeal2187
Helix
Darth_Awakened
Kyla Ren
Cowgirlsamurai
Kessel
ZioRen
SanghaRen
Darth Rowan
Moonlight13
Xylo Ren
panki
Reylo Lemon
adamdrivershair
Rimfaxe96
Piper Maru
EchoBase
spacebaby45678
Blood Moon
tukicarreno
SheLitAFire
CienaRee
Armadeus
Darth Dingbat
BenOrgana
Kylo Rey
TheLastJedi
guardienne
kroi
BenRey
Darth Dementor
Rogue Rey
Saracene
Kylo Ren
snufkin
SoloSideCousin
ISeeAnIsland
Mana
vaderito
BastilaBey
IoJovi
FrolickingFizzgig
Force22
73 posters

Page 1 of 25 1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next

Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX Empty Re: Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Thu 12 May 2016, 5:49 pm

Force22 wrote:I'm a little worried about the choice. Maybe we could debate it a little?

This is slightly off-topic, but here's a TED Talk about why Jurassic Park is interesting, and memorable, and Jurassic World isn't. (Now, maybe it's not all Trevorrow's fault, since some of it might be the writing).

https://vimeo.com/165693758

I thought this video would interest you cause it's about allegory, subtext, etc. (and they're all missing from Jurassic World)

Jurassic Word is interesting because it's a successful high budget movie from a well known franchise, and I think it might have played a part in the choice for Trevorrow.
@Force22
I see no reason to be concerned to be honest. Rian is doing the story treatment. Trevorrow really just has to follow orders. The story is written. Rian and JJ aren't going to let one director ruin their trilogy. I think they hired Trevorrow to make an epic end-of-trilogy blockbuster with all the effects directing.

I also don't think allegory/subtext are missing from Jurassic World. I watched it like two months ago for the first time. It really wasn't awful. Not a great movie, but I got through it. The whole "creation rising up" is a pretty powerful warning about the evolution of technology. The ideas were there. The whole romance thing was poorly written, but that was the second weakest part of the film IMO (first were those two kids).
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Thu 12 May 2016, 5:52 pm

Force22 wrote:I'm a little worried about the choice. Maybe we could debate it a little?

This is slightly off-topic, but here's a TED Talk about why Jurassic Park is interesting, and memorable, and Jurassic World isn't. (Now, maybe it's not all Trevorrow's fault, since some of it might be the writing).

I thought this video would interest you cause it's about allegory, subtext, etc. (and they're all missing from Jurassic World)

Jurassic Word is interesting because it's a successful high budget movie from a well known franchise, and I think it might have played a part in the choice for Trevorrow.
@Force22

I watched it for the first time two weeks ago, and honestly I was expecting a lot worse. You are right though - it did not have the same impact as Jurassic Park, but that is a pretty high bar to top. No scene is ever going to be able to match the first time Dr. Sattler and Dr. Grant encounter the brachiosaurus for the first time. I remember seeing that as a teenager and was in complete awe.

I understand that the portrayal of women in general in JW wasn't well received. However, Bryce Dallas Howard's character did actually work in an office, so it wasn't far fetched that she didn't have an extra pair of shoes with her as she was running around in the jungle. It wasn't a horrible movie by any means, but I wouldn't call it memorable either.
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey Thu 12 May 2016, 5:56 pm

Have you seen Safety Not Guaranteed? It's a lovely little independent film he directed, set here in Seattle and nearby coastal town Ocean Shores, starring Aubrey Plaza from Parks and Rec. I recommend giving that a watch if you're really concerned.

I didn't love Jurassic World but am not too worried about episode IX. It sounds like Rian Johnson will still be involved, not sure about JJ but he might have some exec credit. Pablo's recent tweet about the story basically being all laid out for years ahead was reassuring, too. They won't be making huge changes on the fly, and I trust Kathleen Kennedy too.
BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 May 2016, 6:01 pm

I absolutely hated the way the female characters were portrayed in Jurassic World. The only one I kinda liked was the tech girl in the control room. I don't want to write Colin Trevorrow off because of JW, though. For starters, he will be collaborating with Kathleen Kennedy and the rest of Lucasfilm and I'm sure they would not sign off on the kind of old-fashioned female stereotypes that made JW so awful. I am not sure who is writing the script, I thought it was CT and his writing partner confused It might be based on a treatment by Rian Johnson, but I don't think he will be involved beyond that.

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Thu 12 May 2016, 6:11 pm

IoJovi wrote:

@Force22

I watched it for the first time two weeks ago, and honestly I was expecting a lot worse.  You are right though - it did not have the same impact as Jurassic Park, but that is a pretty high bar to top.  No scene is ever going to be able to match the first time Dr. Sattler and Dr. Grant encounter the brachiosaurus for the first time.  I remember seeing that as a teenager and was in complete awe.  

I understand that the portrayal of women in general in JW wasn't well received.  However, Bryce Dallas Howard's character did actually work in an office, so it wasn't far fetched that she didn't have an extra pair of shoes with her as she was running around in the jungle.  It wasn't a horrible movie by any means, but I wouldn't call it memorable either.  
@IoJovi
That was exactly my reaction. Everybody kept saying it was awful so I decided to watch it and I was like "It's not that bad...". It's no Jurassic Park, but were people actually expecting it to be? I mean really. Jurassic Park was one of those movies I could watch over and over and over as a kid. It's a total masterpiece. I can see why Jurassic World would have been disappointing to people who were really hyped up for it, but I went in expecting it to be a complete waste of time and it really wasn't all that bad. There are some good scenes, the raptors are cute, the park was interesting, whatever. Okay, the dinosaurs weren't accurate (they weren't accurate in JP either). People were really nitpicky it seems because the movie was criticized for things the original film wasn't.

As for the female characters... confession, I'm not a big fan of female characters most of the time because they're almost always portrayed badly. The second it becomes about the fact that they're female my eyes gloss over. The best way to be "progressive" is to not acknowledge the divide at all, like they did in TFA. Rey being female is never brought up as a problem, a surprise, a "twist", any of it. She's a female character whose femininity is not questioned, and her interactions with Ren are riveting partly because of that.

@Mrs Ben Solo
Rian is writing the story, Trevorrow is writing the script. But people are going to have to "okay" this script. Lots of them, including the old directors and writers. This isn't some independent film or pass-the-story-along game in which Trevorrow is being handed a vague outline and told to do whatever he wants.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 May 2016, 6:25 pm

I'm willing to keep an open mind @FrolickingFizzgig I haven't seen anything else CT has done, only JW. I did find it concerning that he seemed perplexed by the criticism of the female characters in JW. That fueled my concern about what he would do with Ep 9 more than the awfulness of movie did. But with KK and Co overseeing proceedings, I'm fairly confident that they will pull him up short if he tries to get Rey in some space stilettos! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 May 2016, 6:58 pm

Force22 wrote:
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:I'm willing to keep an open mind @FrolickingFizzgig I haven't seen anything else CT has done, only JW. I did find it concerning that he seemed perplexed by the criticism of the female characters in JW. That fueled my concern about what he would do with Ep 9 more than the awfulness of movie did. But with KK and Co overseeing proceedings, I'm fairly confident that they will pull him up short if he tries to get Rey in some space stilettos! lol!
@Mrs Ben Solo

Well, I can kind of understand his perplexity. The female lead (sorry, forgot her name) is actually a typical character in family movies, and always played by men. There's always this father figure who's too busy to hand out with the kids, only worried about work. In having a female play that character, he reversed the roles, right?

Nope. Well, the female lead is a little stiff and unbelievable, and somehow her desire not to have kids is seen as a problem, or a fault in her character. JP, according to the video I linked, is about the fear of having children, but no character is put in a negative light because of that. Another problem is that the movie celebrates Pratt's character too much. Even the kids prefer him, after she just saved them!!! No logic.

My problem is that in theory, the female characters should be good. Woman is the tough businessperson, guy is worried about relationships. Interesting. The problem was in execution of the idea.

But sure, I might try to check his other work.
@Force22

The fact that you can't remember the lead female character's name says a lot about what was wrong with JW. It didn't help that there were so many call-backs to Jurassic Park, which was a superior movie in every way. Reminding me of why I loved JP so much only made me hate JW more! All the characters male and female were badly written with the tech guy and girl in the control room being the most tolerable to me. I like Chris Pratt but Owen Grady wasn't all that. He was like a character Harrison Ford would have played in the 80s with the accompanying slightly chauvinistic attitude towards women. Claire, as played by Bryce Dallas Howard, was supposed to be a successful business woman running a world class resort yet they undermined her at every turn. She also came across as someone who belonged in a 80s movie. I was reminded of Kathleen Turner in Romancing The Stone, particularly all the running about in high heels (although in RTS Michael Douglas kindly cut the heels off KT's shoes with a machete!) Anyway, it was a backwards step in my eyes when Jurassic Park had such a strong female character in Ellie Sattler.

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Thu 12 May 2016, 7:28 pm

Trevorrow isn't bad. JW is rewatchable entertainment and action scenes are easy to follow.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Thu 12 May 2016, 7:38 pm

vaderito wrote:Trevorrow isn't bad. JW is rewatchable entertainment and action scenes are easy to follow.
@vaderito
IMO the bolded is exactly the reason he was hired for the trilogy finale. He'll direct some amazing and memorable action sequences to compliment Rian's story treatment.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Thu 12 May 2016, 7:43 pm

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
vaderito wrote:Trevorrow isn't bad. JW is rewatchable entertainment and action scenes are easy to follow.
@vaderito
IMO the bolded is exactly the reason he was hired for the trilogy finale. He'll direct some amazing and memorable action sequences to compliment Rian's story treatment.
@FrolickingFizzgig

Kylo showing up in MF to give Rey a clear shot at Galaxy Killer Base (it's bigger than SKB, duh!). Twisted Evil
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mana Thu 12 May 2016, 7:45 pm

The second film in the trilogy will be the most powerful one, delving into character backstories, exploring the force, setting up the relationships between characters (eg: Vader and Luke...) So I expect something similar for Rey and Kylo as the hero and villain of this trilogy.
But yeah, I expect episode 9 will be more action driven...
and the fact that Trevorrow said Rey's parentage will be resolved in ep. 9 says to me that it won't be something that will be explored much....
Mana
Mana
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 May 2016, 7:54 pm

Did Colin Trevorrow ever definitively say that Rey's parentage would be revealed in Ep 9? All I have seen regarding the matter is this interview and the written quotes that were taken from it. It could be inferred from what he says that he will be dealing with the reveal but has he discussed it anywhere else?

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Thu 12 May 2016, 7:58 pm

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:Did Colin Trevorrow ever definitively say that Rey's parentage would be revealed in Ep 9? All I have seen regarding the matter is this interview and the written quotes that were taken from it. It could be inferred from what he says that he will be dealing with the reveal but has he discussed it anywhere else?

@Mrs Ben Solo
No, I don't think anybody ever said it outright. But why else get the Episode IX director to make this statement and not Rian? The insinuation seems to be that he'll be dealing with exactly how that part of the story is told, but we won't know until we see Episodes VIII/IX.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 May 2016, 8:14 pm

[quote="FrolickingFizzgig"]
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:Did Colin Trevorrow ever definitively say that Rey's parentage would be revealed in Ep 9? All I have seen regarding the matter is this interview and the written quotes that were taken from it. It could be inferred from what he says that he will be dealing with the reveal but has he discussed it anywhere else?

@Mrs Ben Solo
No, I don't think anybody ever said it outright. But why else get the Episode IX director to make this statement and not Rian? The insinuation seems to be that he'll be dealing with exactly how that part of the story is told, but we won't know until we see Episodes VIII/IX.
@FrolickingFizzgig

Yes, it's a fair assumption. Rey's attentions will no doubt be focused elsewhere in Ep 8. The most I'm expecting in regards to her origins are some proper hints (i.e not the character call-backs from TFA). There is always the possibility of some last-minute big reveal akin to the Luke/Vader moment in ESB. I don't see it being the same as in long-lost mother or father reveal themselves to Rey, I have a feeling her parents may be dead. I envisage something coming to light about her abandonment on Jakku.

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Thu 12 May 2016, 8:17 pm

[quote="Mrs Ben Solo"]
FrolickingFizzgig wrote:

@Mrs Ben Solo
@FrolickingFizzgig

Yes, it's a fair assumption. Rey's attentions will no doubt be focused elsewhere in Ep 8. The most I'm expecting in regards to her origins are some proper hints (i.e not the character call-backs from TFA). There is always the possibility of some last-minute big reveal akin to the Luke/Vader moment in ESB. I don't see it being the same as in long-lost mother or father reveal themselves to Rey, I have a feeling her parents may be dead. I envisage something coming to light about her abandonment on Jakku.
@Mrs Ben Solo

If I recall the wording of that quote, it was something like "Rey's parentage won't be completely resolved until IX." So, I think that we'll get a hint or partial reveal in VIII, but we won't find out the whole story until IX.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 12 May 2016, 8:24 pm

[quote="ISeeAnIsland"]
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
FrolickingFizzgig wrote:

@Mrs Ben Solo
@FrolickingFizzgig

@Mrs Ben Solo

If I recall the wording of that quote, it was something like "Rey's parentage won't be completely resolved until IX." So, I think that we'll get a hint or partial reveal in VIII, but we won't find out the whole story until IX.
@ISeeAnIsland

I haven't read that quote from CT. The only quotes of his I've heard and seen in regards to Rey's parentage are from the interview I posted above. I know people took what he said there to mean he will be responsible for the reveal in 9 and he probably will, but it's not 100% clear at this point.

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Thu 12 May 2016, 8:26 pm

[quote="ISeeAnIsland"]
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
FrolickingFizzgig wrote:

@Mrs Ben Solo
@FrolickingFizzgig

@Mrs Ben Solo

@ISeeAnIsland
The fact that not only to people still think she's Luke's, they say there's no evidence that tells them otherwise:

Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX Tumblr_nwo6i5h3GP1tq4of6o1_400

Epic plot twist to follow:

"After many adventures Rey submits to a DNA test and learns that she was her master's daughter all along! Turns out he got drunk at the cantina and forgot all about his mystery lover, who ran away while pregnant and then abandoned her out-of-wedlock child on the nearest sand planet."
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin Thu 12 May 2016, 9:02 pm

[quote="FrolickingFizzgig"]
ISeeAnIsland wrote:
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
FrolickingFizzgig wrote:

@Mrs Ben Solo
@FrolickingFizzgig

@Mrs Ben Solo

@ISeeAnIsland
The fact that not only to people still think she's Luke's, they say there's no evidence that tells them otherwise:

"After many adventures Rey submits to a DNA test and learns that she was her master's daughter all along! Turns out he got drunk at the cantina and forgot all about his mystery lover, who ran away while pregnant and then abandoned her out-of-wedlock child on the nearest sand planet."
@FrolickingFizzgig

I love the Judge Judy gif! LOL!
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mana Thu 12 May 2016, 9:06 pm

Reywalkers should just

Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX Cool-judge-judy-gif-955
Mana
Mana
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Mana Thu 12 May 2016, 9:18 pm

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
ISeeAnIsland wrote:
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
FrolickingFizzgig wrote:

@Mrs Ben Solo
@FrolickingFizzgig

@Mrs Ben Solo

@ISeeAnIsland

@FrolickingFizzgig

ok...I couldn't help it..
Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX Ezgif_17
Mana
Mana
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Thu 12 May 2016, 10:47 pm

Haven't seen any of the Jurassic World movies, but Safety Not Guaranteed was great and the lead was a young woman. So there's that. It seems like a no win situation TBH. There's already an insane amount of scrutiny taking on the franchise in the history of franchises, let alone one which has sparked a huge dialogue about women characters/representation in film (something we like to talk about here). The issue that did seem to come up with the comments in the press about how Ava DuVernay would be a great director for one of the movies. Although she's doing the adaption of A Wrinkle in Time, so that's exciting

The thing with directors like Trevorrow is that it's already not easy for women directors to get hired by studios here in the States. But the pipeline of going from doing directors small independent films to larger projects so far seems to be feasible if you're a male director, not so much if you're female. And the overall situation for women directors is so bad that there's a federal investigation happening:

Hollywood sexism probe ‘wide-ranging and well-resourced’, says ACLU
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2016/may/12/hollywood-sexism-probe-wide-ranging-well-resourced-aclu
in 2014, only 7% of the directors of the 250 top-grossing Hollywood-produced films were women – down 2% on the equivalent figure for 1998.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 25 1, 2, 3 ... 13 ... 25  Next