Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

+69
Teo oswald
californiagirl
RosiePancake
Mila95
Starliteprism
nickandnora
Dar-ren19
Night Huntress
MyOnlyHope
rey09
rawpowah
special_cases
ReyofLightSide
nemapasara
Macha Ren
soulluos
MrsWindu
LadyHa
SkyStar
Birdwoman
AceofWands
Millicent the Cat
Tex
motherofpearl1
Kylo Men
Irina de France
BigDeal2187
Helix
Darth_Awakened
Kyla Ren
Cowgirlsamurai
Kessel
ZioRen
SanghaRen
Darth Rowan
Moonlight13
Xylo Ren
panki
Reylo Lemon
adamdrivershair
Rimfaxe96
Piper Maru
EchoBase
spacebaby45678
Blood Moon
tukicarreno
SheLitAFire
CienaRee
Armadeus
Darth Dingbat
BenOrgana
Kylo Rey
TheLastJedi
guardienne
kroi
BenRey
Darth Dementor
Rogue Rey
Saracene
Kylo Ren
snufkin
SoloSideCousin
ISeeAnIsland
Mana
vaderito
BastilaBey
IoJovi
FrolickingFizzgig
Force22
73 posters

Page 24 of 25 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Go down

Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX - Page 24 Empty Re: Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

Post by californiagirl Tue 29 May 2018, 4:50 pm

Blood Moon wrote:Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX - Page 24 Img_0310

This can be read different ways right? Is it about SW, JW? I'm thinking it's about SW. He's saying it in a way that it's hard to decipher for me.
That was probably his intention.
@Blood Moon

He's said a few things like this. Passive aggressive is almost an understatement. Sounds like he didn't accept what SW was doing and the direction it was headed in at all. Unlike Mark, who still did his job well and later got over the changes.
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX - Page 24 Empty Re: Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX

Post by SoloSideCousin Tue 29 May 2018, 5:13 pm

californiagirl wrote:

This can be read different ways right? Is it about SW, JW? I'm thinking it's about SW. He's saying it in a way that it's hard to decipher for me.
@Blood Moon

He's said a few things like this. Passive aggressive is almost an understatement. Sounds like he didn't accept what SW was doing and the direction it was headed in at all. Unlike Mark, who still did his job well and later got over the changes.
@californiagirl

Geez, he's a nasty piece of work, tweeting this right after Solo had a soft weekend BO. So petty and so self-important.

Yeah, all those "he's difficult to work with" rumors are looking pretty true right now.
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Tue 29 May 2018, 5:18 pm

SoloSideCousin wrote:
californiagirl wrote:

@Blood Moon

@californiagirl

Geez, he's a nasty piece of work, tweeting this right after Solo had a soft weekend BO. So petty and so self-important.

Yeah, all those "he's difficult to work with" rumors are looking pretty true right now.
@SoloSideCousin

I did a double take earlier reading this tweet. I was thinking, am I imagining the passive aggressiveness here? I have to be - nobody can possibly be that big of a d*****. I was wrong... Shocked
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rawpowah Tue 29 May 2018, 6:16 pm

I had to read his tweet multiple times to make sure I wasn't imagining things. He sounds so unpleasant and unprofessional. If JW flops, I'll laugh my head off.
rawpowah
rawpowah
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Tue 29 May 2018, 6:54 pm

Not compromising the core of a beloved franchise, why Colin are you apologizing for what you did with the female characters in JW compared to Laura Dern in the original?

Do wonder what other choice comments we’ll get from him when his sequel comes out. And even though Bayona directed one of my all-time favorite horror films, El Orfanato, it’s a screenplay by Trevorrow and the same writing partner he did JW with. Despite getting religion with how it’s not cool to neg on your heroine and OMG she gets to wear normal clothing and shoes instead of being a cardboard stock character of frigid career lady, it’s going to be a glimpse into what he would’ve done with the ST characters
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress Wed 30 May 2018, 12:00 am

rawpowah wrote:I had to read his tweet multiple times to make sure I wasn't imagining things. He sounds so unpleasant and unprofessional. If JW flops, I'll laugh my head off.
@rawpowah

I'm amazed his last JW movie was such a BO success- I mean it was unintentionally funny, but I would never pay to watch that in the theatre.
BoH was a flop though? Wasn't it? I know it had bad reviews but not how it was doing at the BO.

To be fair- I won't wish any movie to flop...but I wish his bad reputation will sometime come back and bite him in the a**

That's not how you behave as a professional director.
Night Huntress
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rawpowah Wed 30 May 2018, 4:56 am

@Night Huntress It was a success because it was the first reboot in a trilogy about a popular franchise. I watched it in theaters actually for that reason and it was fine, but forgettable. Which is why I won't be checking out the sequel.
rawpowah
rawpowah
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases Thu 31 May 2018, 6:42 pm

Wow so now we know for sure that Trevorrow is kind of a d*ck.

It's interesting that he's throwing a shade on Rian, not just on LFL.
special_cases
special_cases
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by YeeRees Thu 07 Jun 2018, 11:55 am

I’m not a fan of Colin Trevorrow but he is at least trying to turn some of his past missteps into positives, including co-writing the next Jurassic World movie with Emily Carmichael (who came back at him over his misjudged Twitter comments about women not wanting to be involved in big studio movies like Jurassic World). His recent Twitter comments haven’t helped improve his image but it’s clear from this interview that the fallout from the critical response to The Book of Henry had a deep impact on him personally and professionally. https://uproxx.com/movies/colin-trevorrow-interview-star-wars-jurassic-world/
YeeRees
YeeRees
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl Thu 07 Jun 2018, 12:14 pm

YeeRees wrote:I’m not a fan of Colin Trevorrow but he is at least trying to turn some of his past missteps into positives, including co-writing the next Jurassic World movie with Emily Carmichael (who came back at him over his misjudged Twitter comments about women not wanting to be involved in big studio movies like Jurassic World). His recent Twitter comments haven’t helped improve his image but it’s clear from this interview that the fallout from the critical response to The Book of Henry had a deep impact on him personally and professionally. https://uproxx.com/movies/colin-trevorrow-interview-star-wars-jurassic-world/
@YeeRees

He seems really excited about JW 3, apparently a movie he's wanted to make his whole life, as I've heard the new JW movie ends in some kind of interesting manner. Good for him, he's away from SW and doing another big movie that is his passion. Yet another weird JJ parallel, given JJ's comments last month about how he's had all these ideas about the end of the ST he never dreamed he'd be able to do.

Last edited by californiagirl on Thu 07 Jun 2018, 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism Thu 07 Jun 2018, 1:11 pm

Watched the latest JW yesterday and the writing was very predictable the whole way through. Rolling Eyes 6/10 from me, but possibly only a solid 6 due to the fact that I watched it in 3D 4DX and the effects made it a bit more enjoyable.
Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress Thu 07 Jun 2018, 1:22 pm

Starliteprism wrote:Watched the latest JW yesterday and the writing was very predictable the whole way through. Rolling Eyes 6/10 from me, but possibly only a solid 6 due to the fact that I watched it in 3D 4DX and the effects made it a bit more enjoyable.
@Starliteprism

did his writing improved since the last one? Especially regarding the female characters ? Confus
Night Huntress
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl Thu 07 Jun 2018, 3:13 pm

Night Huntress wrote:
Starliteprism wrote:Watched the latest JW yesterday and the writing was very predictable the whole way through. Rolling Eyes 6/10 from me, but possibly only a solid 6 due to the fact that I watched it in 3D 4DX and the effects made it a bit more enjoyable.
@Starliteprism

did his writing improved since the last one? Especially regarding the female characters ? Confus
@Night Huntress

I watched one (non-spoiler) review from people I trust. They said it's better in some ways than the first JW, and in some ways worse. Apparently it rips off The Lost World, but the visual style is better than JW (no doubt because of JA Bayona, the director). There's a whole thing about the way we treat animals, except we're still supposed to be terrified of them because it's a big action movie, and they said the animals have more individuality. It was all pretty by-the-numbers, they claimed.

It doesn't come out here in the States for a couple of weeks, though. I think I'll pass.
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by YeeRees Thu 07 Jun 2018, 3:37 pm

It looks like that interview I posted with CT has attracted more controversy. Just as I was starting to feel a bit of sympathy for him too Rolling Eyes I haven’t seen The Book of Henry and don’t know much about it at all, but CT is being accused of misrepresentating the premise of that movie in the interview by making out it's about calling out an abusive man when it’s apparently not about that at all. It looks like Colin can’t open his mouth without putting his foot in it!

I might have misgivings about JJ (mainly because of his addiction to nostalgia, his love for the mystery box and not it’s contents, and because his strengths so far have been in reinvigorating and restarting franchises not in bringing them to satisfying conclusions) but I am glad we have him for IX and not CT. I’m sure the cast are happy too as they all seem to get along well with JJ and he seemed to be genuinely fond of them (from the interviews and BTS footage). Whatever JJ’s faults might be, he comes across as a decent human being who has taken past criticisms to heart and strives to do better. That’s all you can ask for really.
YeeRees
YeeRees
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism Fri 08 Jun 2018, 8:39 am

Night Huntress wrote:
@Starliteprism

@Night Huntress

To be honest, I actually forgot that I watched the last one, so recently started to watch it and about 15 minutes in, flashes then started to come back to me. I quickly realized I wasn't in the mood to re-watch, so switched it off. Both are forgettable, at least in my book of Jennifer, although the actors and director didn't have too much to work with, so the onus is on the writing. Felt like a filler episode that should have not been aired.
Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Tue 12 Jun 2018, 1:29 pm

Reviews are coming out for JW and I stumbled across these articles from Indie Wire when reading Anthony Bourdain (RIP)'s last interview, which was w/Eric Kohn. Who has not much good to say in his review of JW, which is another data point for my personal "stop complaining about JJ when we're so lucky Trevorrow got sacked and won't be going near Leia, Rey, or Rose" thesis. Or for that matter, the bullshit with a character's shoes isn't just illustrative of writers who not only don't have a clue how to write women, they don't seem capable of writing any type of compelling characters that would do justice to what TLJ delivered for Kylo and Rey and said very subtly about gender and sexuality.

From Kohn's review

‘Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom’ Review: Life Finds a Way, But Sometimes It Shouldn’t wrote:The movie’s second half also allows for a more distinctive lead character, with newcomer Isabella Sermon as Maisie, who lopes through narrow corridors and elevator shafts as she evades dinosaur attacks (as well as a few human ones). Her quiet shock and astonishment at the lunacy surrounding her brings a credible gaze to circumstances in dire need of it. “Fallen Kingdom” could have used more of her.

Instead, Pratt’s Indiana Jones swagger and constant eye-rolling leads the day, while Howard remains in the dispiriting role of second fiddle, almost always at the mercy of his decision making. Even when she takes charge, it’s treated as a crass revelation: Look! The woman you thought was useless did a thing!

Despite the awful characterizations and plot twists of Derek Connolly and Colin Trevorrow’s screenplay, it appears that Bayona made an effort to mine great set pieces from the material.

From Kate Erbland's ‘Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom’ Is Still Using Bryce Dallas Howard’s Heels to Hide Lazy Filmmaking

Much of Claire’s life has changed in the intervening years, but the shoes are the same. Bayona’s desire to linger on them doesn’t feel so much funny as it does a pointed way to remind people that, for Claire, it’s the shoes that make the woman. “Remember these stupid shoes and how much you hated them?,” the shot seems to say. “They’re still here. Get used to them.”The costuming pick drew widespread criticism, and not just because they were a throwback to outdated gender stereotypes. Vulture’s Jada Yuan noted that the costuming failed its protagonist and proved to be “a crime of lazy filmmaking — a patronizing shorthand for her cluelessness and stubborn need for control.” Instead of using the heels as just one facet of Claire’s personality, they became one of her few defining characteristics, a stand-in for a richer backstory or a relationship with anyone that doesn’t entirely hinge on her perceived frigidity.

The choice to keep Claire in heels didn’t just rankle viewers who were annoyed to see a female protagonist trapped in uncomfortable footwear. It also proved to be wholly illogical: Are we supposed to believe that those stems never snapped? Or, that when Claire and Owen (Chris Pratt) find the old Jurassic Park welcome center of yore, still brimming with supplies, she doesn’t even bother to look for a pair of boots? There wasn’t even a single twisted ankle during the entire mad dash to battle the escaped dinosaurs?

Genevieve Koski at The Dissolve similarly argued that, as Claire goes through a number of sartorial and emotional changes in the film, the continued existence of her heels make less and less sense. “It’s one thing to completely ignore an aspect of your story that doesn’t make sense in the real world,” she wrote. “But it’s another matter to introduce a problem with your character’s wardrobe and then neglect to satisfactorily solve it.”

Later, Claire does change her shoes, opting for a pair of sensible boots (finally!) that are the complete opposite of her heels. They’re the kind of shoes one would wear on a dinosaur-infested island, the kind of shoes one could run in or jump over a seething pile of lava in or even battle an evil corporate entity bent on using dinosaurs for evil in. They’re the kind of shoes Claire should have put on in the first film, and by the time we get there, it’s an awfully heavy-handed twist.

snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 26 Jun 2018, 10:20 pm

Interesting that Trevorrow’s planned theme for the third movie in his Jurassic Park trilogy is redemption. Borrowing themes from the third movie in other trilogies he may have worked on, methinks? https://www.romper.com/p/will-there-be-a-jurassic-world-3-fallen-kingdom-is-the-second-film-of-the-trilogy-9411846

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl Thu 28 Jun 2018, 4:29 pm

So this came out today and.... um..... uh.... I don't quite know what to say. Remember Colin's claim that BoH was a carbon copy of ANH and that he would explain it one day? Well now he did.

I mean, it is, it’s a foundational myth.  It’s a noble ghost story.  Where a character lives on after death in order to guide a hero to find their strength and defeat ultimate evil.  And structurally, I can’t…but you’re gonna print this, unfortunately.  I’m saying this now.  But the way that I look at movies, I do see Avatar and Titanic and Jurassic World [as] very similar movies.  Henry was Obi-Wan Kenobi.  And he died in the middle.  And he left a set of instructions on how to take out the Death Star where Darth Vader was holding a Princess captive.  And at the very end, when he had the target in his sights, he had to remember his training.  Guided by this ghostly voice.  And then Han Solo comes in with the Rube Goldberg machine and gives him the moment.  And ultimately the Princess saves herself.

https://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-the-book-of-henry/

I'm confused in so many ways.
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rawpowah Thu 28 Jun 2018, 4:38 pm

Colin Trevorrow Out for Episode IX - Page 24 1hag7e
rawpowah
rawpowah
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France Thu 28 Jun 2018, 5:20 pm

californiagirl wrote:So this came out today and.... um..... uh.... I don't quite know what to say. Remember Colin's claim that BoH was a carbon copy of ANH and that he would explain it one day? Well now he did.

I mean, it is, it’s a foundational myth.  It’s a noble ghost story.  Where a character lives on after death in order to guide a hero to find their strength and defeat ultimate evil.  And structurally, I can’t…but you’re gonna print this, unfortunately.  I’m saying this now.  But the way that I look at movies, I do see Avatar and Titanic and Jurassic World [as] very similar movies.  Henry was Obi-Wan Kenobi.  And he died in the middle.  And he left a set of instructions on how to take out the Death Star where Darth Vader was holding a Princess captive.  And at the very end, when he had the target in his sights, he had to remember his training.  Guided by this ghostly voice.  And then Han Solo comes in with the Rube Goldberg machine and gives him the moment.  And ultimately the Princess saves herself.

@californiagirl

It reminds me of myself when I have to write an essay and I have no idea what to put in.
Irina de France
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mila95 Thu 28 Jun 2018, 5:34 pm

That's just very confusing and badly worded lol.I'm just so glad this guy isn't writing IX.

Mila95
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey Thu 28 Jun 2018, 7:47 pm

californiagirl wrote:So this came out today and.... um..... uh.... I don't quite know what to say. Remember Colin's claim that BoH was a carbon copy of ANH and that he would explain it one day? Well now he did.

@californiagirl

Uh... what did I just read? Did he even watch ANH?!? Obi-Wan gave the heroes the DS plan... wut. And it isn't a foundational myth WTF. That passive aggressiveness towards Leia as well, woof. This guy was going to direct IX, Daisy Ridley, Adam Driver and had the fate of Ben and Rey in his hands. Dodged. A. Bullet. Dude, do you even Joseph Campbell?
Kylo Rey
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Armadeus Thu 28 Jun 2018, 10:31 pm

@californiagirl

RE: the bolded

You flatter yourself, sir.

Whatever one may think of James Cameron's attitude, I think everyone can agree that as a director he is so far ahead of Trevorrow that neither should be mentioned in the same breath as the other. As obsessed with special effects as Cameron is, at least he's capable of crafting engaging stories and likable characters. Titanic and Avatar are admired for the way Cameron and his team blended revolutionary special effects with genuine storytelling (Robert Zemeckis is another master at merging the two). That they made oceans of cash was icing on the cake. Jurassic World is remembered (barely) for making tonnes of money at the BO, and that's about it. The special effects were decent, and the only likable character was Chris Pratt's pet raptor.

The less said about Book of Henry the better.
Armadeus
Armadeus
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

https://www.fictionpress.com/u/564105/

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Fri 29 Jun 2018, 8:06 pm

I'm almost tempted to go back a year or so in this thread when the discussion pivoted from "Rian's writing the treatment for IX and Safety Not Guaranteed is a very sweet little movie" to "Dear god, no!" How naive we all were back then!

A year later and at least he's now the strange gift that keeps giving of BTS drama without ever doing damage to the ST's ending for its characters. I was curious enough to go read the Movie Spoiler summary of JW and had a similar brain melt experience. It sounds like the story a classmate of mine wrote as an homage to Escape from New York that we filmed for a school assignment. Also speaking of BTS dirt I'd love to hear, whatever the working relationship was between Rian and Colin. Because the former has been perpetually diplomatic but vague about the whole thing. Anybody else notice that his shout out to JW was specifically for Bayona and to recommend/praise El Orfanato (which is one of my favorite recent horror films)?
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl Fri 29 Jun 2018, 8:55 pm

snufkin wrote:Also speaking of BTS dirt I'd love to hear, whatever the working relationship was between Rian and Colin. Because the former has been perpetually diplomatic but vague about the whole thing. Anybody else notice that his shout out to JW was specifically for Bayona and to recommend/praise El Orfanato (which is one of my favorite recent horror films)?
@snufkin

I too saw the tweets encouraging people to see JW because Bayona is great. Didn't bring them here because they didn't seem directly relevant. I've noticed much of the praise for this movie goes to Bayona's direction, while criticism goes to the script. And it's doing very well worldwide. I wonder if Bayona would do a SW movie.

I've also noticed that Rian never said a word about the content or quality of whatever Colin actually made, only that he would have a great amount of freedom as Rian did. As opposed to, you know, JJ saying the TLJ script was amazing and he wished he could direct it, and I swear I remember some video clip where Rian says that TFA was a great movie. And then pointing to the interrogation scene as the basis for the Rey-Kylo dynamic in TLJ. None of that going on here with IX. I wonder if Rian has seen JJ's script.

I've noticed LF seems to pretty keen on letting the directors and writers do what they do with the people they normally make films with. Rian had his producer, his editor, his cinematographer. JJ had his whole studio full of his usual collaborators behind him. And Colin had the guy he wrote JW with. I mean I'm all about letting artists work with who makes them comfortable, but really, what were they thinking? He also claims he doesn't know if BoH had anything to do with his firing.

Given just how salty and passive-aggressive Colin has seemed at times about his time working on SW, and the fact he loved TFA, I've gotten the impression he might not have liked the direction they went with. Meaning TLJ. I hope he wasn't angry with Rian, who is about the most mild-mannered person on earth. JJ was executive producer, and Kasdan has been around to oversee writing and editing, so did they get involved too? Are there hypothetically pictures of all these people in a room together? Will we ever actually know? As this series gets further along, I get more new questions than answers.
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 25 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25  Next