Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why are Some Fans So Fixated on Rey Skywalker?

+25
jakkusun
motherofpearl1
CienaRee
ViviF
Saracene
Darth Dementor
BastilaBey
snufkin
Lily Snape
MindAndMagic
spacebaby45678
Gemini
Helix
IoJovi
Darth Rowan
ISeeAnIsland
LadyHa
Reylo Lemon
Kessel
Mana
Rimfaxe96
guardienne
Darth_Awakened
Darth Dingbat
FrolickingFizzgig
29 posters

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Why are Some Fans So Fixated on Rey Skywalker? - Page 4 Empty Re: Why are Some Fans So Fixated on Rey Skywalker?

Post by Reylo Lemon Wed 17 Aug 2016, 10:47 am

Gemini wrote:I saw him Say something several times about Ren and his odd behaviour (attraction) to her

But anyhoo back on topic.

I think Reywalkers get the feeling she's Luke's because of what certain people in production push about her. She's not pushed as a unique stand alone character in interviews etc from KK, this causes public to think she's Rey skywalker
@Gemini

I don't think he will ever debunk Reylo in any form, because this trilogy is about the light side and the dark. Of course he's tired of, or he's just trolling, the hardcore shippers.
Reylo Lemon
Reylo Lemon
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Why are Some Fans So Fixated on Rey Skywalker? - Page 4 Empty Re: Why are Some Fans So Fixated on Rey Skywalker?

Post by Darth Dementor Wed 17 Aug 2016, 10:48 am

ISeeAnIsland wrote:
snufkin wrote:
ISeeAnIsland wrote:
snufkin wrote:
ISeeAnIsland wrote:An old article about Rian posting that IG pic of the Jedi robe hanging in front of the rock wall (cave wall?) just showed up in my Facebook feed.

Because I enjoy self-torture and occasionally like to check in on the GA perception of things, I clicked the Comments....nearly everyone in the comments is going on about how Luke is Rey's dad. A few people pointed out JJ's debunking, only to have the Reywalkers jump all over them with JJ's backtrack. A few commenters even seem to buy into the "reincarnated Anakin" theory.

So yeah, you've got a lot of people aware of JJ's debunking but still aren't trusting him because of the Cumberbatch-as-Khan thing.
@ISeeAnIsland

If the GA is still thinking that way, then we know what the "I am your cousin? boyfriend? father" moment is going to be for them with the next two movies. Although it seems like a lot of people seem to hate JJ on principle, so of course they'll bring up something that happened with a previous movie that has no relationship to this one.
@snufkin

Yup. I can't say that I wasn't a little surprised at how dead-set these commenters were on Rey being Luke's kid (and these weren't necessarily comments littered with typos and grammar errors, like we typically associate with intellectually challenged people on the internet). One even went so far as to say (and I'm paraphrasing) "that they made it so obvious that she's Luke's kid that they practically hit you over the head with it."

Hmmmmmm....and that doesn't make someone think that maybe she's not Luke's kid? Given all of the misdirection with the marketing for this movie, I'm surprised that so many people are blind to Reywalker being another red herring.

Of course, in this case, the payoff is that she's NOT Luke's kid.
@ISeeAnIsland

If the next movie is chaste but she voluntarily goes off with him, then there will be 2 more years of "I can't believe Luke's daughter betrayed him like that! Going off with her evil cousin. She's supposed to kill him!" And then they'll move on to hoping that Leia can do an adult adoption of either Finn or Poe because those Skywalker cousins are such disappointments.
@snufkin

Frankly, I'm worried that even if there's a Reylo kiss, but no line from Luke about how he never had children, we're still going to have 2 years of people screaming "cousin incest!" at this point.
@ISeeAnIsland

Even if Luke out and out says "I am not your father and I fully support you dating my nephew because you're a good influence on him. In fact I've been celibate for the last twenty years," they'll still claim he's lying. He's really means from a certain point of view he's not her dad. LOL.
Darth Dementor
Darth Dementor

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Wed 17 Aug 2016, 10:50 am

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:@Spacebaby45678
@FrolickingFizzgig

No troll, no bait, I legitimately think Pablo tells half truths around many things not just Rey...

Last edited by spacebaby45678 on Wed 17 Aug 2016, 12:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Wed 17 Aug 2016, 10:54 am

spacebaby45678 wrote:
FrolickingFizzgig wrote:@Spacebaby45678
Seriously, you come onto this thread and post bait, respond with a mocking message/gif and then act like I'm overreacting/not being "chill"/acting nonsensically. This is the definition of "trolling."

You know it's all about Rey Kenobi. It's always about Rey Kenobi. You think Kylo recognized Rey as a Kenobi or something and thus responded "it is you". @Gemini thinks Kylo knowing more about Rey than she does is another hint at her being a Kenobi. It's ALL about Rey Kenobi.
@FrolickingFizzgig

No troll, no bait, I legitimately think Pablo tells half truths around many things not just Rey...
@spacebaby45678
And I'll be the first to agree with that. Of course he does. But this is not one of those cases (at least IMO). The lines all fit together quite perfectly, especially considering the fact that the film is titled The Force Awakens.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Wed 17 Aug 2016, 11:18 am

Back to topic

I think people are also fixated on reywalker because simply they love Luke and would like him to have a continuation in TFA.

It must be difficult for them and I get that to slowly understabd that this is not going to happen
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Wed 17 Aug 2016, 11:23 am

Anybody who wishes to discuss the Rey's potential blood relation to Obi Wan Kenobi can take the discussion to either one of these threads:

http://reylo.skyforum.net/t153-rey-s-lineage-discussion-ii
or
http://reylo.skyforum.net/t202-the-rey-kenobi-files

This discussion is meant for conversation in regards why the fandom as a whole is fixated on Rey Skywalker.  Thanks, and please feel free to pm myself or any one of our staff if you have any questions.  

IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Wed 17 Aug 2016, 11:29 am

IoJovi wrote:Anybody who wishes to discuss the Rey's potential blood relation to Obi Wan Kenobi can take the discussion to either one of these threads:

http://reylo.skyforum.net/t153-rey-s-lineage-discussion-ii
or
http://reylo.skyforum.net/t202-the-rey-kenobi-files

This discussion is meant for conversation in regards why the fandom as a whole is fixated on Rey Skywalker.  Thanks, and please feel free to pm myself or any one of our staff if you have any questions.  

@IoJovi

I agree, these threads are great for that discussion.
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Wed 17 Aug 2016, 11:30 am

Gemini wrote:Back to topic

I think people are also fixated on reywalker because simply they love Luke and would like him to have a continuation in TFA.

It must be difficult for them and I get that to slowly understand that this is not going to happen
@Gemini
I definitely think this is a big part of it. It's also the most fair, innocent reasoning. They just want Rey and Luke to be happy, but that's not much of a story, is it?
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Wed 17 Aug 2016, 11:41 am

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:

It must be difficult for them and I get that to slowly understand that this is not going to happen
@Gemini
I definitely think this is a big part of it. It's also the most fair, innocent reasoning. They just want Rey and Luke to be happy, but that's not much of a story, is it?
@FrolickingFizzgig

No it's not.

It's always just been way too obvious and boring for me. It's also predictable which I think is good for those who like a nice simple story fed to them. It's the surface reading which does show reywalker to some. It's funny because I never thought it even with al the surface stuff.
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Wed 17 Aug 2016, 11:50 am

Gemini wrote:
FrolickingFizzgig wrote:

@Gemini
@FrolickingFizzgig

No it's not.

It's always just been way too obvious and boring for me. It's also predictable which I think is good for those who like a nice simple story fed to them. It's the surface reading which does show reywalker to some. It's funny because I never thought it even with al the surface stuff.
@Gemini
Same here. I saw the film completely unspoiled (having only seen the trailer once beforehand) and there was no set-up for it narratively, no expectation for a reveal, no little lost cousin, nothing. I was surprised to find out how many thought she had to be Luke's. It was just so obvious to me that she wasn't. It's not even predictable or obvious, and it certainly doesn't make sense when you consider the timeline, the characters, all of it. I stand by what I said before though, it's not that production is trolling Reywalkers or leading them along, it's that they're spinning every little thing to suit their agenda.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Wed 17 Aug 2016, 12:10 pm

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
Gemini wrote:
FrolickingFizzgig wrote:

@Gemini
@FrolickingFizzgig

No it's not.

@Gemini
Same here. I saw the film completely unspoiled (having only seen the trailer once beforehand) and there was no set-up for it narratively, no expectation for a reveal, no little lost cousin, nothing. I was surprised to find out how many thought she had to be Luke's. It was just so obvious to me that she wasn't. It's not even predictable or obvious, and it certainly doesn't make sense when you consider the timeline, the characters, all of it. I stand by what I said before though, it's not that production is trolling Reywalkers or leading them along, it's that they're spinning every little thing to suit their agenda.
@FrolickingFizzgig

It's the same with me I just saw trailer, I hadn't been sitting there months before the release on forums discussing who she may be, so I think people went in there expecting skywalker

I went in expecting no one because that's what she says in the trailer. I was stunned that so many thought reywalker too.

The biggest argument they have is the saber calling/flying to her but it's not because it's a legacy weapon, she has her staff still. Traditionally that weapon would get lost or broken before she gets her replacement or true weapon but nope, she has her staff still. That cancels out saber calling to her because of legacy

But I do understand how on the surface it would lead people to believe reywalker, calls to her, flies to her.
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Wed 17 Aug 2016, 12:16 pm

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
Gemini wrote:
FrolickingFizzgig wrote:

@Gemini
@FrolickingFizzgig

No it's not.

@Gemini
@FrolickingFizzgig

Same here. I came out of TFA with stars in my eyes - I was overwhelmed I was going to see one of my favorite types of romances (villain/heroine) come to life in one of my favorite franchises since I was a kid. That night, I went Online to see if others saw it too. To say I was SHOCKED by what I was reading was an understatement. I couldn't believe so many thought they were blood related. Just...What?!?! What a Face

Tumblr was a breath of fresh air (at first). I was so enamored by the fan art and the fan fiction - I was on there daily and I was hooked. So now I knew I wasn't the only one! This was of course before the anti movement took hold and when it did, I was of course disheartened but I wasn't going to let it squelch my love for this pairing.

Then I saw the lengths that people would go to and the mental gymnastics they would perform to link Rey as Luke's daughter, even after Pablo stated Rey being dropped off on Jakku happened years before Kylo Ren's destruction of Luke's academy. I think many people, especially hardcore Reywalkers, do see Reylo. They know that Reywalker will automatically negate it, which is why they cling to it. What they don't realize is that we aren't ignoring Kathleen Kennedy's statement about this being about the Skywalkers. Quite the contrary! There is one glaring other way for Rey to be a Skywalker other than by blood.

IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Wed 17 Aug 2016, 12:17 pm

@Gemini
I think the themes of the film overall suggest the complete opposite as well. Not sure about the staff stuff... I need to see the sequels first. The whole point IMO is that she's a "nobody" being chosen by the legacy artifact over its "true" heir. She's the daughter of nothing who is deemed worthy over the son of legends. It's poetic, beautiful and very Star Wars-y. It chooses her because of her choices and her affiliation, not because of her blood. There's a huge theme there: the Force is inclusive, it doesn't care if you're a Skywalker or a scavenger. The Force can be strong in anybody, rich or poor, legacy or non-legacy, male or female, etc. It's a perfect and very deep commentary for this generation.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Wed 17 Aug 2016, 12:21 pm

I mean traditionally in a story if your true weapon (sword) calls you lose the old defective one. Or you dont start with one.
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Wed 17 Aug 2016, 12:26 pm

Gemini wrote:I mean traditionally in a story if your true weapon calls you lose the old defective one.bor you do t start with one.

@Gemini
Yeah, that's true. I just think there's a lot more suggesting the saber calling to Rey has nothing to do with whose blood she has. To use that as proof of Reywalker negates the deepest themes of the film itself. It's such awful writing. The pure Skywalker is chosen over the defective one. *CRINGE*.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Wed 17 Aug 2016, 12:28 pm

Good vs bad cousins had me yawning. Maybe in a video game but not a movie

Good vs bad siblings is more interesting even
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Wed 17 Aug 2016, 12:50 pm

Gemini wrote:Good vs bad cousins had me yawning. Maybe in a video game but not a movie

Good vs bad siblings is more interesting even
@Gemini

If this is truly about the good cousin vs the bad cousin, the good cousin already defeated the bad cousin.  She had a chance to kill him (and he did as well), but neither of them took the opportunity.  

So what happens now?  Rey finally grows some kahunas and chops off his head in the end?  Is this really what this story is about?
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Wed 17 Aug 2016, 1:19 pm

It is really simple, Han, Obi Wan and Darth might be the most popular characters in the OT, more popular than Luke, but it is through Luke that we experience the Universe that is Star Wars , it is his hero's journey and through his eyes that the audience by proxy makes their hero's journey. To now say his journey is over and does not live on through his progeny is a certain type of death for Luke and the audience it means his story is over, a kind of ending most in the audience would not have chosen for that young guy setting out. Yes, GL has other ideas but the audience grew up with Luke and they identify with him as themselves ( yes a Mary Sue).

Then there is the microscopic way TFA is being told, there is so much about Luke's life that we don't know about, so much about most of the Han, Leia and Ben that we don't know. It is daunting to think you might have to wait a decade to find out more about the main hero of the OT.
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Wed 17 Aug 2016, 1:28 pm

Indeed, and yet Mark Hamill himself has said repeatedly that this is no longer Luke's story, that he already had his "beginning, middle and end", that Luke Skywalker has taken a backseat in this adventure and is now playing more of an Obi-Wan/mentor figure to the new characters. It's Rey's journey now. There is absolutely no doubt about that. There have been no mixed messages.

Remember how JJ and the others said they were having trouble including Luke in the script to begin with because he would always overtake the other characters? Well, that same mentality is what we're seeing from fans. They simply cannot accept that Luke is no longer the main protagonist. In fact, it's not even a question for a lot of them. He just is. He always will be. The end.

Funny thing is even after Luke dies physically we'll still see him as a Force Ghost. He's always going to be a spirit within the SW universe, whether he's playing the main hero or the mentor. Heck, Alec Guinness has been dead for ages and they still managed to fit him into TFA.

Pablo retweeted something a few days ago that I'm remembering now about how enjoying art is really about surrendering to another's vision. These fans are unwilling to surrender to the new writers' vision at the expense of their own. They want what they want, not what Lucas, Rian or JJ or Kasdan wants. I think a lot of us here are the opposite. We're excited about the story they're telling right now, about seeing something new, and IMO we are generally the most optimistic when it comes to believing in the integrity of the writers.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Wed 17 Aug 2016, 3:09 pm

Darth Dementor wrote:
@ISeeAnIsland

Even if Luke out and out says "I am not your father and I fully support you dating my nephew because you're a good influence on him.  In fact I've been celibate for the last twenty years," they'll still claim he's lying.  He's really means from a certain point of view he's not her dad. LOL.

@Darth Dementor

It's a more benign form of the crazy that makes people believe political conspiracy theories despite all evidence to the contrary. Speaking of pop culture, it's part of what the X-Files wrote about and brought into the mainstream. The Men in Black has been a classic UFO conspiracy theory since the era of Project Blue Book.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Lily Snape Fri 19 Aug 2016, 2:26 am

snufkin wrote:
ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@snufkin

Yes! Thank you for recommending her! I've been enjoying following her on twitter.

I've been dying to know what Patton Oswalt's take is on some of the TFA theories. He's very much an old school fanboy in some ways, but also has the intelligence/ability/education to analyze a film.

He tweeted/talked about about enjoying TFA when it was first released, but I don't recall him ever weighing in on any of the mystery box/theory stuff.

@ISeeAnIsland

I'm sure that there are some writers/public figures who've figured it out - but out of respect for the filmmakers are keeping their opinions to themselves. Oswalt seems like he'd be a great person to debate some of these theories around with given his own admission about how watching the Phantom Menace was the kick in his pants to stop being a consumer/commentator and become a creator:

The Movie That Ruined Patton Oswalt's Theater Obsession

Yes, I thought [Phantom Menace]was a failure, but the dude took a shot at it. It hit me that I was spending days and days and nights and nights with my friends, arguing back and forth about this film but this guy made a movie. Good or bad, he made a movie. He's on a different realm than you.

And <3 for Robinson ending her article Star Wars: The Force Awakens’s Rey Is the Bechdel-Busting Intergalactic Hero We Were Promised with this comment

As for Rey herself, well, her future is best left a mystery for now. Carrie Fisher predicts romance is in the cards. “I’m looking forward to your space kiss,” she told Ridley. “You’re going to have to have one. Every girl does.” Well there’s nothing wrong with a space kiss or two, I suppose. Just as long as we remember who’s the love interest and who’s the hero."
Why are Some Fans So Fixated on Rey Skywalker? - Page 4 Kylo-ren-rey-s-connection-revealed-in-new-star-wars-episode-7-photos-710514

I suspect that like Alexandra "Emo Kylo Ren" Petri, she thinks it's gonna happen between those two. Which puts them both far ahead of the Vox, AVClub Bros.
@snufkin

Did Alexandra Petri say/write something to that effect, or are you doing what I'm doing and assuming it from all the "trying to impress Rey" stuff in Emo Kylo Ren? I should add-- she's brilliant. She and Mamalaz of the Modern Solo Adventures on Tumblr have made my year. Smile
Lily Snape
Lily Snape
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Fri 19 Aug 2016, 10:17 am

Lily Snape wrote:
@snufkin

Did Alexandra Petri say/write something to that effect, or are you doing what I'm doing and assuming it from all the "trying to impress Rey" stuff in Emo Kylo Ren? I should add-- she's brilliant. She and Mamalaz of the Modern Solo Adventures on Tumblr have made my year. Smile
@Lily Snape

I think Alexandra Petri talks about it on the podcast she did with Tor: http://www.tor.com/2016/06/20/rocket-talk-episode-79-emo-kylo-ren-creator-alexandra-petri/

I do remember her saying in that interview that she came up with her Twitter idea because the "you need a teacher" line made her realize "I know this guy - he's cornered me at parties."
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey Fri 19 Aug 2016, 8:14 pm

Saw these again today and thought them worth reposting, because Pablo effectively backs up Daisy's statement that Rey is 'obviously not' the child of Han Solo, as well as stating clearly that the person Rey was waiting for on Jakku was not Luke. Rey even tells Finn in the film that she thought Luke Skywalker was a myth.

Why are Some Fans So Fixated on Rey Skywalker? - Page 4 Image29

I know casual fans and the general audience are not likely to know who Pablo is, but hardcore fans do. I guess they must be choosing to believe that he is lying to us? All part of some master plan of misdirection?
BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dementor Fri 19 Aug 2016, 11:03 pm

@BastilaBey the best way to describe Hidalgo to casual fans is to say he's the Stan Lee of Star Wars/Lucas Films. Like how every major character and story that Marvel ran needed Lee's final say so. That is the same command Hidalgo wields. Even a lot of civilian fans know who Stan is because he created some of their favorite super heroes and has been in every Marvel movie to date.
Darth Dementor
Darth Dementor

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Sat 20 Aug 2016, 7:08 am

To me, Reywalker stopped making sense once it was made obvious that her abandonment on Jakku and the destruction of Luke's school were two separate events. It doesn't make sense to outline the family tragedy that wrecked the lives of the OT characters and then throw in a completely separate storyline about a long lost daughter. In fact, this timeline argument seems to pop up a lot on other forums/boards from people who don't necessarily see Reylo but who don't believe in Reywalker. It usually has no counter-arguments, either, other than the outright denial of Pablo/Bloodline.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next