Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Podcasts - 2

+40
EchoBase
Little_Boots
Geralt_Riv
guardienne
Irina de France
MindAndMagic
FrolickingFizzgig
Kessel
snufkin
IoJovi
spacebaby45678
Darth_Awakened
BastilaBey
SanghaRen
panki
vaderito
Reylo Lemon
nonesuch
ZenBrainJam
soulluos
ISeeAnIsland
Birdwoman
ZioRen
Saracene
Lily Snape
MyOnlyHope
Gemini
jakkusun
Jakku
MeadowofAshes
Xylo Ren
BenRey
Helix
Mana
Sylvia Snow
Rimfaxe96
CienaRee
SoloSideCousin
Darth Dingbat
reenydet
44 posters

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Podcasts - 2 - Page 11 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: Discussion: Podcasts - 2

Post by Gemini Wed 14 Sep 2016, 10:53 am

Darth Dingbat wrote:
Gemini wrote:Im not even talking about kenobi.

She just needs an equally large background because she should not be dwarfed by kylo, she needs to be on par with.

Daughter of nothing puts her squarely beneath kylo.
@Gemini

With all due respect, though, Rey Kenobi isn't really a "large background" in in-universe terms. Anakin was the Chosen One. Obi-Wan was "only" a very good Jedi with a strong sense of duty. Great character, but not really on par with "Space Jesus".

As you know, I agree with you that I'd like Rey to have something "big" as her own legacy. I don't think Rey is a "nobody" and I think she will turn out to be a figure of crucial importance to the entire galaxy. In her own right, not just through her connection to the Skywalkers.

But at present I can't really see how Rey Kenobi would provide that. I'm actually hoping for something a lot bigger than that.
@Darth Dingbat

Of course it's big in Star Wars, he's a legacy character. Hero blood.

But I wish you guys would stop bringing kenobi in here. It's not about that. She could be random but she's still not "daughter of nothing" imo

Does not fit with the orphan in literature or even Star Wars lore (Main saga)

She's a someone who appears to be just a scavenger, I'm sure if it

Last edited by Gemini on Wed 14 Sep 2016, 10:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Podcasts - 2 - Page 11 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: Discussion: Podcasts - 2

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Wed 14 Sep 2016, 10:55 am

@Gemini
Since when has anybody here ever said she was "nobody" or "nothing" lol? That's not what "random" means. It refers to anything that isn't legacy. I know you don't see it like that, but that's the explanation I'm going with. I just acknowledge that I don't know the story, there are bigger things than name-drops/legacy relations and there are many ways for Rey to be "not nothing" that have nothing to do with her being related to someone we've met before. I just wouldn't get caught up in one possible backstory because the galaxy is a big place and there are a lot of plot-points they could expand on and connect to Rey.

@Darth Dingbat
I also fail to see how Kenobi provides that, especially when nothing connects Obi-Wan to our current story.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Wed 14 Sep 2016, 10:57 am

You've called her the "daughter of nothing" and kylo "the son of everything" many times. @FrolickingFizzgig

Many people agree with it too on here.

Maybe so if she was not an orphan in an action adventure movie.

Last edited by Gemini on Wed 14 Sep 2016, 11:01 am; edited 2 times in total
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat Wed 14 Sep 2016, 10:59 am

Gemini wrote:
Darth Dingbat wrote:

She just needs an equally large background because she should not be dwarfed by kylo, she needs to be on par with.

@Gemini

With all due respect, though, Rey Kenobi isn't really a "large background" in in-universe terms. Anakin was the Chosen One. Obi-Wan was "only" a very good Jedi with a strong sense of duty. Great character, but not really on par with "Space Jesus".

As you know, I agree with you that I'd like Rey to have something "big" as her own legacy. I don't think Rey is a "nobody" and I think she will turn out to be a figure of crucial importance to the entire galaxy. In her own right, not just through her connection to the Skywalkers.

But at present I can't really see how Rey Kenobi would provide that. I'm actually hoping for something a lot bigger than that.
@Darth Dingbat

Of course it's big in Star Wars, he's a legacy character.

But I wish you guys would stop bringing kenobi in here.

I'm just talking about her being "of nothing" does not fit with the orphan in literature or even Star Wars lore
@Gemini

I meant in in-universe terms. "Legacy character" doesn't really mean anything to the people of the GFFA.

Sorry, I thought the discussion was about her being related to a legacy character. What I said applies to any other non-Skywalker legacy, though, IMO. Simply being related to someone the audience recognises isn't "big" if you start comparing it to the bloodline of the Chosen One. (Well... Palpatine would be an explosive legacy to put it mildly, especially as he was supposed to be the most powerful Dark Side user ever, but I doubt she's that.)

But I don't think Rey is "of nothing", so I guess we agree.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen Wed 14 Sep 2016, 11:01 am

Gemini wrote:wether kylo continues is more important though because skywalkers are the dynasty. That's how I read it, maybe I'm wrong.

Not in response to anyone here but:

This is where random just can't work for me because it always means that kylo is more important and the main focus of the whole new trilogy is all about him getting his inheritance, carrying a legacy, carrying the line.

Rey is the main character, she'd not a tool to make kylo a better man. He needs to do this himself. Rey needs her own past, her own demons her own inheritance.
@Gemini

I don't think Rey needs an inheritance. I personally think her lineage is not really going to matter, as a contrast to Kylo. I think she'll become a hero in spite of her family, especially if they end up being Dark Siders like some theories.

She could be the underdog, the person who shows that the Force belongs to everyone. Carve her own place in the galaxy that's purely Rey. Show that the Skywalkers are not the be all and end all of the galaxy. After all, what has Kylo's super important lineage done for him other than cause him pain? Same for Luke and Leia. This would seriously stand out within the world of Star Wars, where the name Skywalker rules as far as the audience goes. It's a bold move.

And that's what makes it a compelling story, to me. I don't get the idea that Rey has to come from important blood or she's lesser. If that's how people think, she'll be "lesser" as long as she isn't a Skywalker. Even Kenobi doesn't come close to comparing with the Skywalker name within Star Wars.

To be clear, I'm fine with Rey Kenobi and I wouldn't at all be upset if that's what she was. This is just my personal theorizing, and I see the potential in Rey Random as much as anything else.

Last edited by ZioRen on Wed 14 Sep 2016, 11:06 am; edited 4 times in total
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Wed 14 Sep 2016, 11:02 am

@Gemini
Well, that's what she is in TFA. It's one of the major themes in the movie. You can't not acknowledge that, even if you think she's a Kenobi. But you also seem to be conveniently forgetting that said about 1000x that her background will be explained and it will be part of the story. I just happen to feel that it'll be something bigger than a name drop. Kenobi is really nothing in the grand scheme of things.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey Wed 14 Sep 2016, 11:03 am

Gemini wrote:
Darth Dingbat wrote:

@Gemini

@Darth Dingbat

Of course it's big in Star Wars, he's a legacy character. Hero blood.

But I wish you guys would stop bringing kenobi in here. It's not about that. She could be random but she's still not "daughter of nothing" imo

Does not fit with the orphan in literature or even Star Wars lore (Main saga)

She's a someone who appears to be just a scavenger, I'm sure if it
@Gemini

Riiiight. It's us that keep bringing up Kenobi in every thread. Okay.

'Daughter of nothing' is used as a poetic contrast to Kylo as the entitled, deluded Prince. It doesn't mean her background will literally have no implications for the story. The 'scavenger and the prince' has that fairytale element just as much as 'the senator and the freed slave' and 'the princess and the smuggler' did.
BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Wed 14 Sep 2016, 11:08 am

@FrolickingFizzgig

That's not what has been said in here before, I remember having to say that "she is presented as such in  TFA" in order to debate the subject.

I think maybe kenobi, but what lots of people really don't understand with me is that I'm ok with random. Just as long as she's not just "the daughter of nothing" she deserves inheritance just like all the orphan men in literature before her.

All the orphan women where given back in the day was their husbands inheritance. I refuse to believe that all rey is in this story is a nobody who's main boon and destiny at the end of the quest is "a prince". She has to have her own mission imo and the love interest is a side thing. Just like it would be for any male lead character.

This is why I get irked by the kylo centric vibe here and the "she's just nothing" stuff
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen Wed 14 Sep 2016, 11:12 am

I just don't get the importance of "inheritance". Like Maz said, Rey's belonging is ahead. She's going to create her own path. Heck, you can even say she "inherited" the Force, which she'll likely use to cement her place in the galaxy and find what she's always wanted. And what she most seeks isn't even romantic love. If she 'gets' Kylo at the end, I think it'll be one thing among many others. Like gaining an entire surrogate family, including Finn, and no longer thinking she's just no one.

Saying her family may not be important in the grand scheme of things isn't saying she's "nothing" or lesser than Kylo, nor is it being Kylo-centric.

But I'll stop here. I think this has gotten away from Podcast discussion quite a bit.
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey Wed 14 Sep 2016, 11:15 am

@ZioRen Exactly. And who's to say legacy is a good thing? Judging by the fact that the weight of it is crushing Kylo, it seems more like a curse in the GFFA. Perhaps part of that contrast is for Rey and Kylo to show each other that their backgrounds do not need to define their future. They each can find their own path, whether that's together or not.
BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MindAndMagic Wed 14 Sep 2016, 11:16 am

BastilaBey wrote:@gemini But who has said that she will not get that backstory? The mystery surrounding Rey's parentage along with comments from the directors suggest that it will be a very satisfying story for the audience, once it is told.
@BastilaBey

I agree. If CTW's words are anything to go by, Rey will not only get her own backstory, but she is meant to play a pivotal role in the galaxy's future. She is important, no doubt about it. The way I see it, whatever the answer to this mystery is, it has to be relevant in terms of the current story. This is why I think it would make sense if her background is somehow related to plot points established in TFA, e.g. Snoke, the FO, the history/origin of the Jedi, etc. I expect something that will expand the current story and the SW universe as a whole.

To be honest, I'm not that invested in this mystery, we just don't know enough yet. My main interest is in the character's future, which was emphasised in both TFA and DR's subsequent comments on the character. ''The belonging you seek is not behind you. It is ahead.''/''The relationships she [Rey] is making now are kind of more important than where she comes from.'' This doesn't mean her origins are unimportant, but character development is the main focus. The concept of letting go of the past and embracing the call to a new adventure is really fundamental to Rey's journey. So to me it's not really about where she comes from, but how she will develop over the course of the three movies.

Last edited by Queen of the Knights on Wed 14 Sep 2016, 2:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
MindAndMagic
MindAndMagic
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Wed 14 Sep 2016, 11:17 am

"Like all the orphan men before her."

Why do I feel like this is turning into a sexism thing? Like jeez, who cares this much? Rey's backstory is largely not even a concern of mine despite how much I debate it because I know it's going to be PART OF THE STORY. The story that has not been told. The galaxy that needs expanding so we can be introduced to bigger things, greater things, things that have nothing to do with a character being related to another character. Because you know what, those orphans can sometimes be "chosen ones" of their own, special because of who they are and what they do, not because of a literal bloodline inheritance beyond their control. It's been done for male orphans too. Just let Rey and Rey and allow her story to be told.

Last edited by FrolickingFizzgig on Wed 14 Sep 2016, 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Wed 14 Sep 2016, 11:18 am

ZioRen wrote:I just don't get the importance of "inheritance". Like Maz said, Rey's belonging is ahead. She's going to create her own path. Heck, you can even say she "inherited" the Force, which she'll likely use to cement her place in the galaxy and find what she's always wanted. And what she most seeks isn't even romantic love. If she 'gets' Kylo at the end, I think it'll be one thing among many others. Like gaining an entire surrogate family, including Finn, and no longer thinking she's just no one.

Saying her family may not be important in the grand scheme of things isn't saying she's "nothing" or lesser than Kylo, nor is it being Kylo-centric.

But I'll stop here. I think this has gotten away from Podcast discussion quite a bit.
@ZioRen

Because that's how the orphan in literature works. Of course an orphan in literature's belonging lies ahead because they are orphans.

Dead parents, a past they are sometimes unaware of and when they are unaware of their past, of course it's important that  they learn. It's character building.

They have no one and will ultimately find their understanding of their past and find their future place in the world with new people.

Jon snow
Harry Potter
Lyra from his dark materials

Many more

Why is reys background unimportant compared to other orphans?

All the above 3, very important.

Jon snow has a destiny and thenbelongin is of course

Last edited by Gemini on Wed 14 Sep 2016, 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey Wed 14 Sep 2016, 11:22 am

Gemini wrote:
ZioRen wrote:I just don't get the importance of "inheritance". Like Maz said, Rey's belonging is ahead. She's going to create her own path. Heck, you can even say she "inherited" the Force, which she'll likely use to cement her place in the galaxy and find what she's always wanted. And what she most seeks isn't even romantic love. If she 'gets' Kylo at the end, I think it'll be one thing among many others. Like gaining an entire surrogate family, including Finn, and no longer thinking she's just no one.

@ZioRen

Because that's how the orphan in literature works. Of course an orphan in literatures belonging lies ahead because they are orphans. Dead parents, a past they are sometimes unaware of and when they are unaware, of course it's important tat they learn. They have no one and will ultimately find their understanding of their past and find their future place in the world.

Jon snow
Harry Potter

Many more

@Gemini

Literally nobody here is saying this. The discussion is going nowhere. I will not be talking about Rey's parentage again until VIII comes out because the story has yet to be told and I have no horse in the race. TFA told us that she and Kylo are not related, that's all we're supposed to know for now.
BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Wed 14 Sep 2016, 11:25 am

BastilaBey wrote:
Gemini wrote:

@ZioRen

Because that's how the orphan in literature works. Of course an orphan in literatures belonging lies ahead because they are orphans. Dead parents, a past they are sometimes unaware of and when they are unaware, of course it's important tat they learn. They have no one and will ultimately find their understanding of their past and find their future place in the world.

Jon snow
Harry Potter

Many more

@Gemini

Literally nobody here is saying this. The discussion is going nowhere. I will not be talking about Rey's parentage again until VIII comes out because the story has yet to be told and I have no horse in the race. TFA told us that she and Kylo are not related, that's all we're supposed to know for now.
@BastilaBey

I've seen multiple times people saying her backround is not important and is a red herring to distract from of course, kylo. All that's important is what lies ahead. Thats true of any hero, but their past is still essential.

It's not the defining factor I agree but it's still important otherwise she'll be pretty 1 dimensional chAracter , who's only path lies with helping 2 men by getting them back on track and being someones lover.

There has to be more imo
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen Wed 14 Sep 2016, 11:33 am

Her family not being important in the grand scheme of the galaxy doesn't mean they're not important to Rey. It's important because it's presented as an obstacle she must overcome, and something she must make peace with like any other orphan protagonist in order to move forward. And if what happened to her parents has something to do with everything on Jakku and Snoke, the dark side, etc, that still makes it important. But if that's an inheritance, it's an inheritance of obstacles she must learn and grow to overcome.

Also, I've seen literally nobody say her background is a red herring to distract from Kylo. Not here, or anywhere.
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Wed 14 Sep 2016, 11:37 am

Gemini wrote:
BastilaBey wrote:
Gemini wrote:

@ZioRen

Jon snow
Harry Potter

Many more

@Gemini

@BastilaBey

I've seen multiple times people saying her backround is not important and is a red herring to distract from of course, kylo. All that's important is what lies ahead. Thats true of any hero, but their past is still essential.

It's not the defining factor I agree but it's still important otherwise she'll be pretty 1 dimensional chAracter , who's only path lies with helping 2 men by getting them back on track and being someones lover.

There has to be more imo
@Gemini
But nobody is saying that Rey is just going to help "two men" and be someone's lover? WTF??? Nobody has ever said that. Rey's background is going to be PART OF THE STORY, likely IX. The details are for the writer to explain. Her backstory has been presented as a mystery within the story, it'll be answered in the story too. I just can't guarantee that it'll necessarily be a legacy name-drop. There are other possibilities (i.e. her identity being less important than how she was abandoned/what happened to her family, having some connection to the First Jedi, Snoke, etc).

If you see this thing as being just what you described unless Rey is specifically Obi-Wan's granddaughter (when Obi-Wan has nothing to do with our current timeline or story) then you and I are just not on the same page in the least bit.

The story has not been told. We don't know the details. We don't know what is or is not a "red-herring". We just don't know. But there has never been any guarantee that any of us are under obligation to like the direction of the narrative or the backstories that are eventually given to us. I'm sure even if we're right about almost everything there are going to be huge contrasting opinions about the execution here. You are entitled to not like what they give us, but I would appreciate if the lecturing about orphans stopped because none of us knows what's going to happen, and that's not about to change anytime soon.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat Wed 14 Sep 2016, 11:46 am

Gemini wrote:

@ZioRen

Because that's how the orphan in literature works. Of course an orphan in literature's belonging lies ahead because they are orphans.

Dead parents, a past they are sometimes unaware of and when they are unaware of their past, of course it's important that  they learn. It's character building.

They have no one and will ultimately find their understanding of their past and find their future place in the world with new people.

Jon snow
Harry Potter

Many more

@Gemini

But the legacies of all these characters are of central importance in their respective stories. If Rey is the same type of character - and I tend to believe she is - then the importance of her background will be how it connects to the current story. Not a nostalgic callback to stories that have already been told and finished.

Btw, there's one big character in the Star Wars universe with a mysterious background that never gets explained: Revan. He has no surname, nobody knows where he came from or who/what he really is. A lot of people have joked about Rey being Rey-van. I don't think that's Rey's story - too much emphasis was put on her family and her yearning for that family for that to be just brushed aside - but I just thought I'd mention Revan as an example of a character whose never-explained mystery background is part of the character's enigmatic aura.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Wed 14 Sep 2016, 11:52 am

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
Gemini wrote:So kylo is always more important than rey just cuz he's a skywalker and she's a random/other legacy?

Shes the main character, not him.

I love kylo so t get me wrong though.
@Gemini
I don't think that's what @Vaderito was saying at all. Just when it comes to looking for spoilers it's a much bigger deal to differentiate between Rey being related to Luke/Kylo than it is her being related to any other character (known or otherwise) because Reylated Rey and non-Reylated are entirely opposite stories. If you're looking to figure out the story it really doesn't matter if Rey is a Kenobi or connected to something we've never encountered before, it matters that she isn't a Skywalker. The story is not immensely different from Reynobi vs. Rey [insert non-Skywalker last name here].
@FrolickingFizzgig

All of what Fizz said. her role is super important in both scenarios but it's also a very different role in each.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by nonesuch Wed 14 Sep 2016, 11:58 am

BastilaBey wrote:@gemini you did not miss it. @nonesuch is using 'legacy' to refer to the OT3 characters.
@BastilaBey

This discussion happened while I was at work and has obviously advanced a lot since I was tagged, but I just wanted to say that this was what I meant - by 'legacy' I meant the original trilogy heroes.
nonesuch
nonesuch
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Wed 14 Sep 2016, 12:06 pm

It is true that "orphans" are never really just orphans. Happens in Naruto too, but it was obvious from the beginning. You have to be a grade-A moron not to realize this and this were related:

Spoiler:

I just really don't see anybody here saying Rey is nothing? The nobody and the legacy is a major theme in TFA, but that doesn't mean it's automatically going to continue through VIII and IX. Rey's backstory is going to be part of the story, I just fail to see how name-dropping a character who died 30 years ago and has nothing to do with our current timeline, characters or narrative includes that "part of the current story" element. We only have about 5 1/2 hours max to tie this all up.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Wed 14 Sep 2016, 12:30 pm

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
Gemini wrote:
BastilaBey wrote:
Gemini wrote:

@ZioRen

Jon snow
Harry Potter

Many more

@Gemini

@BastilaBey

There has to be more imo
@Gemini
But nobody is saying that Rey is just going to help "two men" and be someone's lover? WTF??? Nobody has ever said that. Rey's background is going to be PART OF THE STORY, likely IX. The details are for the writer to explain. Her backstory has been presented as a mystery within the story, it'll be answered in the story too. I just can't guarantee that it'll necessarily be a legacy name-drop. There are other possibilities (i.e. her identity being less important than how she was abandoned/what happened to her family, having some connection to the First Jedi, Snoke, etc).

If you see this thing as being just what you described unless Rey is specifically Obi-Wan's granddaughter (when Obi-Wan has nothing to do with our current timeline or story) then you and I are just not on the same page in the least bit.

The story has not been told. We don't know the details. We don't know what is or is not a "red-herring". We just don't know. But there has never been any guarantee that any of us are under obligation to like the direction of the narrative or the backstories that are eventually given to us. I'm sure even if we're right about almost everything there are going to be huge contrasting opinions about the execution here. You are entitled to not like what they give us, but I would appreciate if the lecturing about orphans stopped because none of us knows what's going to happen, and that's not about to change anytime soon.
@FrolickingFizzgig

In not saying  anyone here said those exact things, they have however said what I said they said in the first paragraph.

Me saying  that about the 2 men thing is just the impression I get when I see posts talking about how her background is not important and how her destiny lies with the skywalkers being the main thing. Or helping the skywalkers and not much else.

Saying her belonging only lies ahead and using that to suggest that her background is not important  imo, is a big misreading of that line. To me saying "the belonging you seek is not behind you it is ahead" doesn't mean her past is not important, it just means her family is dead and gone and she needs to look ahead, it is said right after rey realises hey are gone. It does not mean that her history and where she comes from is something she or the audience should not care about anymore.

All orphans in stories have to let go of the past and move forward, it doesnt mean their past is not important to them and who they are.

And the real hilarious thing is in the past when I said her destiny lying with the skywalkers heavily suggests who she may be. I got told that it was regressive. However it's ok for it to be all about Luke and kylo and her past  not being important if it fits rey random.

She has to have a mission which is not about Luke and ren and even a legacy character. It can be part of her but she also needs a mission besides that. Just my opinion.
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat Wed 14 Sep 2016, 12:42 pm

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
Gemini wrote:
BastilaBey wrote:
Gemini wrote:

@ZioRen

Jon snow
Harry Potter

Many more

@Gemini

@BastilaBey

There has to be more imo
@Gemini

@FrolickingFizzgig

Indeed, the bolded bears repeating. I'd be disappointed e.g. if Renperor happens, or if Reylo becomes a thing before Kylo's redemption begins, or if they leave Kylo's redemption till the last minute, or if Kylo dies, or if Kylo's fall is just about him being a murderous b*stard and then he comes back to the light for luuuurv, but if it does... well, then it does. I hope I'd still enjoy the story, but if I don't, then there's nothing to be done about that either.

Likewise, I'd be disappointed if Rey's story is less about Rey and more about Kylo and the Skywalkers. I don't believe that's the case - the only thing that gives me pause is how the vision is like 80% about Kylo - but what if it is? What if she turns out to be literally a reverse Padmé with a better character arc and a happier ending than the original one? Then that is what it is. And honestly, I'm not going to judge a story before it's actually told. That's what the antis do: they themselves can't imagine how Reylo could be done well, so they assume nobody could possibly tell that story well.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Wed 14 Sep 2016, 12:45 pm

@Darth Dingbat if Padme was the main character and was a FS.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Wed 14 Sep 2016, 12:54 pm

@Darth Dingbat
Well, exactly. Who am I to judge a potential story direction left very much open by TFA before I've even seen it? If she's meant to be a reverse Padme, so be it. If Kylo is meant to be reverse Anakin and comes back to light simply for "luuurv", so be it. If Kylo has a more complex goal and isn't just a delusional manchild, so be it. If he was framed, so be it. If Rey is a Kenobi, so freaking be it! Nothing says these stories can't be told well, and I want to see it told very well. That's that. Maybe I'll hate it, but I'm at least going to see it first. The only thing I would really drop like a rock is totally evil, one-dimensional villain Kylo because (IMO) TFA did not leave that as a possibility. That's just not the character.

I'm not discounting Rey's story being more about Kylo (good point about the vision too, it's something I've reflected on as well). If that's the story they wanted to tell then that's the story they wanted to tell. And again, it could be good. So many things could be good, and I'm really not that picky. I'm just in it for great character development, some Jedi lore and a high-stakes narrative fit for our generation.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next