Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

+35
MissG
BenRey
IoJovi
Kylo Ren
Libra Vibora
Xylo Ren
snufkin
MyOnlyHope
Search Your Feelings
Kalianah
rey09
Darth Rowan
BastilaBey
Sforza
panki
Darth Dingbat
spacebaby45678
Saracene
vaderito
Little_Boots
Rimfaxe96
AnneNeville
Mana
FrolickingFizzgig
MissHarper
Airemyn
ISeeAnIsland
Darth Dementor
Reynak
Kessel
Reylo Lemon
CienaRee
MoonFyre
Rogue Rey
Force22
39 posters

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends! - Page 9 Empty Re: Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Sun 15 May 2016, 4:18 pm

It's beautifully outlined in the script as well:

REY
I know all about waiting.

BB-8 BEEPTALKS a question.

REY
For my family. They'll be back. One day. Come on.

MAZ
Whomever you're waiting for on Jakku, they're never coming back. But... there's someone who still could.

REY
Finn. What are you doing here?!

FINN
We came back for you.

She is speechless -- this is all she's ever wanted anyone to do. Chewie TALKS -- and Rey's eyes nearly tear up.

It's lovely to think about but Maz's speech can actually be viewed as foreshadowing for Finn being the "one that will come back for her" as well as a reference to Luke and Kylo. Lots of meaning in the apricot's words.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends! - Page 9 Empty Re: Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

Post by snufkin Sun 15 May 2016, 4:28 pm

@Darth Rowan Agreed on all points! And even with the misdirect that the 3rd person in the main trio is Poe (which we know he's not), it's setting up her relationship (and two very different types of love) with these two young men. It should be interesting to see how she handles being stuck on an island with somebody making googly eyes at her when he tried to kill her adopted brother. There'll definitely be some seriously guilt and repressed feelings going on (and he'll have to make amends).

On a side note, the funniest part of the whole SNL sketch is the out take when Leslie Jones is yelling at him and goes off on this line about "You got a cousin who works here?! Is that how you got this job?"
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee Mon 16 May 2016, 4:06 am

It's interesting that even some Reylo fans believe that there were some romantic undertones with Finnrey(mainly coming from Finn's part).I mean I can't say they're entirealy wrong for assuming that because cannon materials like the adult and junior novalazation do seem to support the notion that Finnrey might be more than friends(I've noticed that while TFA excludes it the novalzations aways have Kylo reaidng Rey's mind and finding out she cares about Finn):

For a few moments,everything was perfect.Rey had given Unkar Plutt his comeuppance.She'd escaped soldiers and pilots aiming to kill her.And she'd found a new friend who,unlike BB-8,was flesh and blood.In fact,after getting a good look at him,he was quite-
He cut into her thoughts.'Why are we-'
'Staring at each other?'
'Yeah.'
'I don't know.'
...'My name is Rey'.
'Rey',he repeated.She liked how he said it.
This time when she smiled,all trace of the hardened,desert-dwelling scavenger melted away.It was a sweet smile, he found hismlef thinking.Warm.He repeated the name,enjoying the way his lips parted as he murmered the single syllable.

'You heard what Maz said.You're part of this fight.We both are.'As she looked at him up close,her anger abated.She saw a young man as confused as she was.'You must feel something.'
'I'm a stormtrooper,'Finn said.
His confession confounded her more.He was a stormtrooper?A soldier for the First Order?Was everything she knew about him-felt about him-a lie?

It can be argued that it can be read as Finn having a crush on Rey which doesn't mean he's in love with her(I agree with that)but it makes me wonder whether they had the erlier version of Finnrey that JJ originally hand in mind but later ended up changing because he didn't want people to get the wrong impression about Finnrey's relationship.

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Mon 16 May 2016, 4:39 am

I thought that some of Rey and Finn's early scenes had some romantic undertones. But those I think were almost like a knee-jerk reaction of two people who met an attractive person of an opposite gender and their own age, before their relationship took on any real shape.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Mon 16 May 2016, 7:29 am

Saracene wrote:I thought that some of Rey and Finn's early scenes had some romantic undertones. But those I think were almost like a knee-jerk reaction of two people who met an attractive person of an opposite gender and their own age, before their relationship took on any real shape.
@Saracene
They had undertones that could have been interpreted that way, but nothing was definitive until it became very obvious that the movie was beating you over the head with the fact that they were just friends. Daisy and John's repeated exclamations that both they and their characters were only friends just drove home that second interpretation. IMO it was not a red-herring, just fans seeing something that wasn't the intention of the writers, perhaps because they expected the main male and main female to be romantically involved. But that's not how it works when the female is the protagonist. Girls don't "get the sidekick guy". More than often they're involved in transformational arcs. The typical heroine's journey is quite different from the typical hero's journey in that regard.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Mon 16 May 2016, 7:38 am

With Finn, many people refer to the you got a boyfriend? cute boyfriend? line as the proof of his romantic interest. And yes, it doesn't exactly spell interest in friendship to me. But the movie doesn't build on it - and it would have if there was a real budding romance going on.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Little_Boots Mon 16 May 2016, 7:39 am

Saracene wrote:With Finn, many people refer to the you got a boyfriend? cute boyfriend? line as the proof of his romantic interest. And yes, it doesn't exactly spell interest in friendship to me. But the movie doesn't build on it - and it would have if there was a real budding romance going on.
@Saracene

I just think Rey would have had more to say to Finn when he confessed to her. She said nothing besides "don't go"....
Little_Boots
Little_Boots
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Mon 16 May 2016, 8:05 am

Saracene wrote:With Finn, many people refer to the you got a boyfriend? cute boyfriend? line as the proof of his romantic interest. And yes, it doesn't exactly spell interest in friendship to me. But the movie doesn't build on it - and it would have if there was a real budding romance going on.
@Saracene
I honestly think that was just a joke/reference to how interpersonal and without-boundaries Finn is supposed to be. He's cool with asking about anything and touching anybody.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey Mon 16 May 2016, 8:08 am

Apparently those early scenes were the first ones they shot. When Harrison Ford has his flying accident and shooting had to stop, that was when JJ went back and reworked Finn and Rey's interactions on the falcon because they seemed too contentious. He thought that might give people the wrong idea about their future, presumably, but those early scenes still existed with questions about boyfriends and hand holding and the like.

The novelization must have also been based on an earlier script, with their interactions a little more charged. So maybe they were intended to be a red herring at first, but then JJ decided against that idea. It still ended up happening though because of the prevalence of Reywalker theory.
BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rimfaxe96 Mon 16 May 2016, 3:39 pm

Not sure where to post it but here's an awesome Finn-Kylo-rivalry-meta by luminousfinn on tumblr:

http://claranovak.tumblr.com/post/144410037804/luminousfinn-the-narrative-arc-the-force-awakens

Now ever since Kylo gazing up at him from that bridge I knew that these fellas don't exactly like each other, but he mentions some more parallels from the movie. Finn walking forward on the platform he's standing on I didn't even notice (and that was like the only little detail I didn't notice, heck - I even memorized the moves from the final battle!).
Rimfaxe96
Rimfaxe96
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by ISeeAnIsland Mon 16 May 2016, 5:42 pm

Force22 wrote:
Rimfaxe96 wrote:Not sure where to post it but here's an awesome Finn-Kylo-rivalry-meta by luminousfinn on tumblr:

http://claranovak.tumblr.com/post/144410037804/luminousfinn-the-narrative-arc-the-force-awakens

Now ever since Kylo gazing up at him from that bridge I knew that these fellas don't exactly like each other, but he mentions some more parallels from the movie. Finn walking forward on the platform he's standing on I didn't even notice (and that was like the only little detail I didn't notice, heck - I even memorized the moves from the final battle!).
@Rimfaxe96

I don't know if the first scene is really rivalry or if Kylo sees something he identifies with, but it's a very important scene, when the characters are being introduced.

I also think that the snow battle has an element of "love triangle"and jealousy from Kylo's part, even if Rey and Finn's love is not romantic. Finn and Rey love each other, and I don't know if Kylo even remembers what's like to love and be loved, it must hurt to see that, especially with a person (Rey) he thought was so interesting, and with another person Kylo thought was insignificant (a stormtrooper).

@Force22

I'll admit that when I first picked up on Reylo (my 2nd viewing of TFA), I thought that they were setting up a love triangle where Finn and Kylo were both clearly interested in Rey, who was oblivious/uninterested at the time.

To me, even upon recently viewing TFA, I still felt like Finn had a one-sided crush on Rey, although I'll buy the "lack of personal boundaries" explanation.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 May 2016, 5:51 pm

ISeeAnIsland wrote:
Force22 wrote:
Rimfaxe96 wrote:Not sure where to post it but here's an awesome Finn-Kylo-rivalry-meta by luminousfinn on tumblr:

@Rimfaxe96

I don't know if the first scene is really rivalry or if Kylo sees something he identifies with, but it's a very important scene, when the characters are being introduced.

I also think that the snow battle has an element of "love triangle"and jealousy from Kylo's part, even if Rey and Finn's love is not romantic. Finn and Rey love each other, and I don't know if Kylo even remembers what's like to love and be loved, it must hurt to see that, especially with a person (Rey) he thought was so interesting, and with another person Kylo thought was insignificant (a stormtrooper).

@Force22

I'll admit that when I first picked up on Reylo (my 2nd viewing of TFA), I thought that they were setting up a love triangle where Finn and Kylo were both clearly interested in Rey, who was oblivious/uninterested at the time.

To me, even upon recently viewing TFA, I still felt like Finn had a one-sided crush on Rey, although I'll buy the "lack of personal boundaries" explanation.
@ISeeAnIsland

That meta is really good! I definitely think Finn has a one-sided crush on Rey and I also think Kylo either sees it or believes that they both be attracted to each other and become an item in the future, therefore finds Finn a threat - another reason besides the ones in that meta why he hates him. Of course that's just me speculating. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Mon 16 May 2016, 6:12 pm

@Rimfaxe96

Very good summary in a very concise essay. They're each others foils as much as Rey-Ren are for each other. The thing going forward is that Finn is her brother, so any chance Ren thinks he has with her, that's a huge road block or at least source of guilt for her with those conflicted feelings. Dude's her brother and almost got killed trying to protect her, so it's not so easy having being stuck on an isolated island planet with the perpetrator acting all sprung around her. Making things right with Finn is totally part of the 12 Steps he's going to have to do if he decides to ditch being evil.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 16 May 2016, 6:55 pm

Force22 wrote:Actually, I'm going to go back on what I wrote. I just remember the Ellen interview, when JB says vey clearly and honestly that no, there's no romance for him in TFA. I know that some people interpreted that he meant only in that movie, but if TFA were the basis for a romance, JB could not deny it like that. Also, had Finn/Rey been established as a red herring, JB would not be allowed to deny it like that, I think. So I don't know what to think the intention of the production was.
@Force22

You've just reminded me about Daisy's interview - saying that there was no romance in TFA and "why can't a man and a woman be friends" and "there's some great friendships in this movie". That's not the exact quote but what I remember, Will see if I can find it.

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Mon 16 May 2016, 7:01 pm

AppleCrumble122 wrote:
ISeeAnIsland wrote:
Force22 wrote:

@Rimfaxe96

@Force22

@ISeeAnIsland

That meta is really good! I definitely think Finn has a one-sided crush on Rey and I also think Kylo either sees it or believes that they both be attracted to each other and become an item in the future, therefore finds Finn a threat - another reason besides the ones in that meta why he hates him. Of course that's just me speculating. Wink
@AppleCrumble122

Yup, I also think that Kylo sees Finn as a threat. It goes beyond the "Traitor!" projection--Kylo sees the connection between Finn and Rey (perhaps misinterpreting their friendship as something more) and is jealous of what he perceives Finn to have.

When Kylo punches Finn during the snowfight--that was a classic "fight over a girl" move.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AnneNeville Mon 16 May 2016, 7:09 pm

I think Finn had a wee brief crush on Rey, but I don't think a crush is romance, so I don't find JB's comment problematic at all.
AnneNeville
AnneNeville
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by MissG Fri 27 May 2016, 3:57 pm

vaderito wrote:LOL

Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends! - Page 9 Tumblr_inline_o7uq4pjxWw1qjtxsg_500

UK Star Wars Facebook Page

Remember SW Asia Facebook page?

Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends! - Page 9 Tumblr_inline_o5c4m88VW81tkecmq_400

Yeah.

Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends! - Page 9 Main-qimg-f375225e3151d524511e6056924e7da2?convert_to_webp=true
@vaderito

Looks to me like they are gently swaying everybody into the right direction. Ever since the dvd came out there's been quite a bit of emphasize on friendship between Rey and Finn, I have this feeling them guys are going to be spending the minimal time together and the filmmakers are trying to make sure some people aren't too disappointed, because disappointment doesn't sell tickets.
MissG
MissG
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey Fri 27 May 2016, 4:02 pm

Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends! - Page 9 Image13

BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel Fri 27 May 2016, 4:08 pm

MissG wrote:
vaderito wrote:LOL

Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends! - Page 9 Tumblr_inline_o7uq4pjxWw1qjtxsg_500

UK Star Wars Facebook Page

Remember SW Asia Facebook page?

Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends! - Page 9 Tumblr_inline_o5c4m88VW81tkecmq_400

Yeah.

Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends! - Page 9 Main-qimg-f375225e3151d524511e6056924e7da2?convert_to_webp=true
@vaderito

Looks to me like they are gently swaying everybody into the right direction. Ever since the dvd came out there's been quite a bit of emphasize on friendship between Rey and Finn, I have this feeling them guys are going to be spending the minimal time together and the filmmakers are trying to make sure some people aren't too disappointed, because disappointment doesn't sell tickets.
@MissG

Yes, this just emphasizes what was clear by the end of TFA: Rey and Finn's dynamic is one of true friendship, not romance. They are on the same side of this galactic battle, but each has their own separate destiny and challenges to face and overcome in this trilogy.
Kessel
Kessel

Back to top Go down

Post by Airemyn Fri 27 May 2016, 5:59 pm

I think it has really been confirmed now that they are just friends. Smile
Airemyn
Airemyn
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sylvia Snow Fri 27 May 2016, 6:57 pm

@BastilaBey

No doubt that Star Wars always being about the Skywalkers, in TFA it's already clear that we're having a Skywalker who lost her husband and son, a Skywalker who lost his will to fight and a Skywalker who currently lost in the dark. All are connected to a scavenger, Rey and by saving just one of them she will manage to save them all. This also a story of a runaway StormTrooper, Finn, who just want to be free and maybe start a family of his own. I feels like TFA is trying to establish two different view point of the same event, the first POV are the heroes and the second POV regarding the normal people who try to survive and become a hero in their own way. So there are definitely two different types of romances are going to happens to satisfied both POV
Sylvia Snow
Sylvia Snow
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next