Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rey's Lineage Discussion II

+67
Gemlake
LesCousinsDangereux
Lucina
bashfulblueeyes3
Starliteprism
Atenais
Kylo Rey
Lily Snape
LadyHa
Kessel
Casper
Rei of Sunshine
rawpowah
Kylo Men
BigDeal2187
DeeBee
Night Huntress
Moonlight13
nite0wl29
BenSoloLives
lauvamp
SanghaRen
MrsWindu
BenOrgana
rey09
Darth Rowan
darthbutterfingers
EchoBase
creepi0
AceofWands
Geralt_Riv
fuhry
Acritiqua
Piper Maru
spacebaby45678
snufkin
Irina de France
SoloSideCousin
SkyStar
Darth Dementor
Pyro Nebula
ReyofLightSide
Darth_Awakened
SheLitAFire
TheBastardofMandalore
ISeeAnIsland
Mana
Saracene
Reylo Lemon
Helix
CienaRee
vaderito
MyOnlyHope
Darth Dingbat
Rimfaxe96
FrolickingFizzgig
panki
ZioRen
BastilaBey
IoJovi
kroi
Xylo Ren
MeadowofAshes
MindAndMagic
reylo1992
Gemini
Rogue Rey
71 posters

Page 9 of 31 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 20 ... 31  Next

Go down

Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 9 Empty Re: Rey's Lineage Discussion II

Post by Piper Maru Sat 04 Feb 2017, 1:14 pm

If Rey is the missing piece of some galactic puzzle and/or a dangerous child, maybe Rey's parents (or the person who abandoned her on Jakku) did say they would come back. If they were/are important, they'd probably told Unkar Plutt that if he'd let any harm come to Rey, or if she left Jakku, they would come back and he would've been killed or harmed in some way. So he keeps her in line, making sure she's alive and working for him.

Piper Maru
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Sat 04 Feb 2017, 1:37 pm

I read one comment about how Plutt's one of the worst villains in all of the movies because he's a pure capitalist. So likely he only kept Rey at first because there was $$$ to be had. And later when her parents don't return, she becomes a high-earning worker who he can underpay. So his motivation is likely all financial an self-serving.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki Sat 04 Feb 2017, 1:45 pm

There are some lines in the novel Catalyst which could possibly allude to Rey's origins as well, especially given all the discussion regarding Rey's core accent....though I'm not quite able to envisage a scenario for how she could have been left on Jakku in this situation.

She waved in dismissal. “The child is yours?”
“Of course the child is mine.”
“I ask only because it is my understanding that the human women of Coruscant no longer carry or deliver their own progeny—that they hire others to do that for them.”

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru Sat 04 Feb 2017, 1:56 pm

snufkin wrote:I read one comment about how Plutt's one of the worst villains in all of the movies because he's a pure capitalist. So likely he only kept Rey at first because there was $$$ to be had. And later when her parents don't return, she becomes a high-earning worker who he can underpay. So his motivation is likely all financial an self-serving.
@snufkin

Oh, definitely. Her parents/the person who abandoned her probably paid a lot of money to Plutt, and threatened him with something like "if I come back and the girl isn't here, I'll kill you".
Piper Maru
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Sat 04 Feb 2017, 2:06 pm

Piper Maru wrote:
snufkin wrote:I read one comment about how Plutt's one of the worst villains in all of the movies because he's a pure capitalist. So likely he only kept Rey at first because there was $$$ to be had. And later when her parents don't return, she becomes a high-earning worker who he can underpay. So his motivation is likely all financial an self-serving.
@snufkin

Oh, definitely. Her parents/the person who abandoned her probably paid a lot of money to Plutt, and threatened him with something like "if I come back and the girl isn't here, I'll kill you".
@Piper Maru

Either threatened or like in the original movie, Obi-Wan bargains with Han that he can get more money from Bail when they arrive on Alderaan and Han agrees to it because it means more money. Rey's parents never come back so Plutt puts her to work as a child laborer. He likely did tell her that they were coming back at some point because she's hanging on to that belief out of desperation and it benefits him financially.

Come to think of it, Plutt's likely the person who tells her that her parents are coming back and she's desperate enough to keep believing it because the alternative is too awful (and traumatic/shameful to contemplate). Keeping her trapped under that belief benefits him financially and makes for a parallel with whatever hold Snoke has over Ben.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki Sat 04 Feb 2017, 3:19 pm

@snufkin @Piper Maru

I'm thoroughly enjoying your discussion and reading them made me think of a couple of scenarios....

What if Unkar Plutt saw a bunch of kidnapped little children being taken to the Unknown Regions by the FO and decided to steal one to become his slave (especially if these children were potential force sensitives being taken for testing)? He might be trying to get Rey back before the FO puts the pieces together and realises what he has done (and will kill him)....it could also explain Kylo saying- it is you in the TFA novel.

Or maybe someone wanted Rey dead and instead of killing her, left her with Unkar to die a slow miserable death in the deserts on Jakku....and now that she is on the loose, Unkar might be worried that the person(s) who left her might discover his failure...hence his anger and desperation to get her back?

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Sat 04 Feb 2017, 3:28 pm

panki wrote:@snufkin @Piper Maru

I'm thoroughly enjoying your discussion and reading them made me think of a couple of scenarios....

What if Unkar Plutt saw a bunch of kidnapped little children being taken to the Unknown Regions by the FO and decided to steal one to become his slave (especially if these children were potential force sensitives being taken for testing)? He might be trying to get Rey back before the FO puts the pieces together and realises what he has done (and will kill him)....it could also explain Kylo saying- it is you in the TFA novel.

Or maybe someone wanted Rey dead and instead of killing her, left her with Unkar to die a slow miserable death in the deserts on Jakku....and now that she is on the loose, Unkar might be worried that the person(s) who left her might discover his failure...hence his anger and desperation to get her back?

@panki

I'd vote for option #1. Strictly because he comes off like one of those 19th century orphan oppressing minor villains, who are very much about the bottom line. Rey's a business asset and income generator as far as he's concerned
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru Sat 04 Feb 2017, 5:58 pm

@panki

Both your options are viable, but I agree with @snufkin. Option #1 is by far the most interesting for the story we have now.

Unkar Plutt first interest is money, the second (I assume) is to save his own a**.
Rey = $$$ + a threat to his safety (for reasons we don't know yet).
Piper Maru
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Sat 04 Feb 2017, 7:28 pm

Piper Maru wrote:

@panki

Both your options are viable, but I agree with @snufkin. Option #1 is by far the most interesting for the story we have now.

Unkar Plutt first interest is money, the second (I assume) is to save his own a**.
Rey = $$$ + a threat to his safety (for reasons we don't know yet).

@Piper Maru

The main thing with Plutt is that he's shown cheating her over portions. Especially when he tries to bribe her with the 60 portions for BB-8. Besides the fact that he's obviously controlling supply and demand to maintain control over the population, you know that means whatever reward Hux is offering is huge. Certainly enough to make 60 portions a slap in the face. So yes, he cares about money first and foremost. And if he had any clue that Rey might be important long before Kylo and company show up on Jakku (he likely heard about Poe's arrival and tipped off the FO for a reward), he would've sold her off tout de suite. He got paid to have her left with her when she was 5 and when her parents never returned, he turned her into a child laborer and did his best to keep an upper hand on her because she was his most productive worker. Beyond that, he has no clue who she really is, but likely now has enough of a grudge to rat her out to the FO for costing him the reward.

snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Mon 06 Feb 2017, 2:46 pm

@GEMINI

Star Wars facebook is emphasizing this moment

Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 9 Tumblr_okz0baoVcM1v3o2r3o1_500
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 Tue 07 Feb 2017, 12:47 pm

I don't agree with all the stuff but still interesting point of view in regard to Daisy's interview saying that the answer about her parents is obvious:

Last edited by reylo1992 on Tue 07 Feb 2017, 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
reylo1992
reylo1992
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Irina de France Tue 07 Feb 2017, 12:49 pm

I don't know, when Daisy says that whoever her parents are is obvious never really pointed towards any lineage in particular for me? I mean, I'm not saying she's a random, but I wonder if it's not her saying it's obvious she isn't a Skywalker...
Irina de France
Irina de France
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://cosetteskywalker.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 Tue 07 Feb 2017, 1:01 pm

Irina de France wrote:I don't know, when Daisy says that whoever her parents are is obvious never really pointed towards any lineage in particular for me? I mean, I'm not saying she's a random, but I wonder if it's not her saying it's obvious she isn't a Skywalker...
@Irina de France

That's what I thought too. IMO this is the obvious answer we got from TFA since she said that with answers in TLJ would come more questions for Ep.IX. While watching for the first time, I could quite early get who her parents aren't, but who her parents are was absolutely not obvious to me...I did't see anything by myself that would have led me to an answer. If experimented viewers hadn't pointed out some parallels (Kenobi, Palpatine, etc...), I wouldn't have seen them by myself.

There, I agree with my brothers who critizize TFA for being quite "haughty" toward the general audience because too subtle, i.e. if I hadn't shown them some Reylo clues, they woudn't have found out by themselves Shocked So when Daisy says that the answer is obvious, I believe like you that it refers more to who her parents aren't than who they are but ICBW.
reylo1992
reylo1992
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee Tue 07 Feb 2017, 2:02 pm

reylo1992 wrote:
Irina de France wrote:I don't know, when Daisy says that whoever her parents are is obvious never really pointed towards any lineage in particular for me? I mean, I'm not saying she's a random, but I wonder if it's not her saying it's obvious she isn't a Skywalker...
@Irina de France

That's what I thought too. IMO this is the obvious answer we got from TFA since she said that with answers in TLJ would come more questions for Ep.IX. While watching for the first time, I could quite early get who her parents aren't, but who her parents are was absolutely not obvious to me...I did't see anything by myself that would have led me to an answer. If experimented viewers hadn't pointed out some parallels (Kenobi, Palpatine, etc...), I wouldn't have seen them by myself.

There, I agree with my brothers who critizize TFA for being quite "haughty" toward the general audience because too subtle, i.e. if I hadn't shown them some Reylo clues, they woudn't have found out by themselves Shocked So when Daisy says that the answer is obvious, I believe like you that it refers more to who her parents aren't than who they are but ICBW.
@reylo1992

I might be wrong but I don't think Daisy ever said it was obvious who Rey's parents are.She said that she thought TFA answered lot of questions and I take it as meaning that Rey isn't a Skywalker.

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 Tue 07 Feb 2017, 2:09 pm

CienaRee wrote:
reylo1992 wrote:
@Irina de France

@reylo1992

I might be wrong but I don't think Daisy ever said it was obvious who Rey's parents are. She said that she thought TFA answered lot of questions and I take it as meaning that Rey isn't a Skywalker.
@CienaRee

Yes, you're right. She indeed said that precisely. Then, a ton of articles instead reported she said that Rey's parents are obvious:
http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/740903/Star-Wars-Episode-VIII-Rey-parents-Daisy-Ridley-The-Force-Awakens-Obi-Wan-Luke-Palpatine
http://screencrush.com/ridley-rey-parents-obvious-ep-7/
http://www.digitalspy.com/movies/star-wars/news/a816291/star-wars-daisy-ridley-reys-parents-are-obvious/

I might have not understood fully some subtility there...
reylo1992
reylo1992
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Tue 07 Feb 2017, 4:56 pm

Beware the Man in Black and the Smoke Monster.....

Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 9 2Q==

Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 9 9k=

No that is not Kylo & Snoke...  but the mystery box from the series Lost... that JJ help to write, produce & direct...

Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 9 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcYqQlKSeIAy0Y7JwSFS--q7EpUnmyxB6bu-3DVCB6ZDhZ6PsO_g
Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 9 Z

[i]At the heart of the series is a complex and cryptic storyline, which spawned numerous questions and discussions among viewers.[13] Encouraged by Lost's writers and stars, who often interacted with fans online, aka PABLO HIDALGO...  viewers and TV critics alike took to widespread theorizing in an attempt to unravel the mysteries."
"Epiodes of Lost include a number of mysterious elements ascribed to science fiction or supernatural phenomena. The creators of the series refer to these elements as composing the mythology of the series, and they formed the basis of fan speculation
.[12] The show's mythological elements include a "Smoke Monster" that roams the island, a mysterious group of inhabitants whom the survivors called "The Others", a scientific organization called the Dharma Initiative that placed several research stations on the island, a sequence of numbers that frequently appears in the lives of the characters in the past, present, and future, and personal connections (synchronicity) between the characters of which they are often unaware.
"

Mysterious group of inhabitants = The Church of the Force
Dharma Initiative = The Emperors dead enders
Smoke Monster = Snoke

Recurring Themes in the TV Series Lost

"There are several recurring elements and motifs on Lost, which generally have no direct effect on the story itself but expand the show's literary and philosophical subtext. These elements include frequent appearances of black and white, which reflect the dualism within characters and situations; as well as rebellion in almost all characters, especially Kate;[16] dysfunctional family situations (especially ones that revolve around the fathers of many characters), as portrayed in the lives of nearly all the main characters;[17]"

Dysfunctional Parents = Han & Leia
Daddy Issue = Han
Ying & Yang = Rey & Kylo

So in other words, Jakku might not have any inherent narrative value, Rey is not there because she was born there. She tells BB8 that where she is from is "top secret" also... this is to imply NOT JAKKU. She is not a science experiment or reincarnation or clone.... The secret facility that Emperor Palpatine has put there is guarded, no one coming in or out... it might be  red herring meant to fuel fan speculation......The mystery box has no inherent meaning in and of itself, it is just a catalyst for conflict and character development.  So Jakku = Island , as long as the box remains unopened or the mystery solved one/audience/fans can use there imaginations for theory crafting. Or essentially a waste of time that is perfect for SEO/social media. Ultimately they meant nothing... what mattered was the spiritual growth and relationships of the stranded survivors.

What do we know? What can we be sure of when it comes to Rey's Lineage/Parentage? So Daisy is correct, the answer is in TFA... whatever language it chooses, and one thing I know for sure, being a Scavenger is a job description not who are my parents... Anytime someone says they are "no one" you should probably not take that literally, it almost always mean the opposite...

JJ said in the Blue Ray commentary that Rey was being taken away from her parents. Pablo says it looks like she was abandoned.... Who to believe?  I will go with JJ... The only thing that Rey every really said about herself is that she is TOP SECRET go with that....

She has real biological human parents ( family) ...let's go with that...

What is Rey's greater meaning to the Galaxy & the Force itself... let's go with the crawl from TFA ... to get Luke back to the fight/adventure...Rey is probably not hatched from an egg or born out of a force tree.  Redeeming Kylo... that is for EP8 and remains to be seen.

To be honest I am not a T.V. watcher, never saw one episode of Lost, but after reading of the last episode where serious fans still wondered what it was all about and where unsure of the ultimate answer after 10 seasons I am glad I did not waste my time.

Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 9 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9iFiP8pCQADFL1zUjwftMj_roZfBuLsc2YMXDTLCR7SUHW22gyw
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Tue 07 Feb 2017, 5:26 pm

spacebaby45678 wrote:To be honest I am not a T.V. watcher, never saw one episode of Lost, but after reading of the last episode where serious fans still wondered what it was all about and where unsure of the ultimate answer after 10 seasons I am glad I did not waste my time.

The first half of the first season got me hooked, mostly because I grew up near the site of the Donner Party and civilized folks lost in the wilderness type stories are a big part of regional mythology. Once they started spiraling off into a more complicated interlinking set of mysteries and conspiracy theories (same problem I have with the X Files) is when I lost interest. Lost seems to be a huge part of the online nerd rage against JJ, though tbf it sounds like he wasn't the architect of the whole mythology. Personally I'm more a fan of Felicity, that's a much closer to the TFA type of story about young people coming of age together. As for Jakku, most plausible explanation is that her parents got mixed up in something and left her there for temporary safe keeping once they knew that they were in over their heads. Just that something really bad happened to them and they weren't able to come back for her.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 Tue 07 Feb 2017, 5:31 pm

spacebaby45678 wrote:Beware the Man in Black and the Smoke Monster.....

Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 9 2Q==

Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 9 9k=

No that is not Kylo & Snoke...  but the mystery box from the series Lost... that JJ help to write, produce & direct...

Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 9 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTcYqQlKSeIAy0Y7JwSFS--q7EpUnmyxB6bu-3DVCB6ZDhZ6PsO_g
Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 9 Z

At the heart of the series is a complex and cryptic storyline, which spawned numerous questions and discussions among viewers.[13] Encouraged by Lost's writers and stars, who often interacted with fans online, aka PABLO HIDALGO...  viewers and TV critics alike took to widespread theorizing in an attempt to unravel the mysteries."

"Epiodes of Lost include a number of mysterious elements ascribed to science fiction or supernatural phenomena. The creators of the series refer to these elements as composing the mythology of the series, and they formed the basis of fan speculation

.[12] The show's mythological elements include a "Smoke Monster" that roams the island, a mysterious group of inhabitants whom the survivors called "The Others", a scientific organization called the Dharma Initiative that placed several research stations on the island, a sequence of numbers that frequently appears in the lives of the characters in the past, present, and future, and personal connections (synchronicity) between the characters of which they are often unaware.
"

Mysterious group of inhabitants = The Church of the Force
Dharma Initiative = The Emperors dead enders
Smoke Monster = Snoke

Recurring Themes in the TV Series Lost

"There are several recurring elements and motifs on Lost, which generally have no direct effect on the story itself but expand the show's literary and philosophical subtext. These elements include frequent appearances of black and white, which reflect the dualism within characters and situations; as well as rebellion in almost all characters, especially Kate;[16] dysfunctional family situations (especially ones that revolve around the fathers of many characters), as portrayed in the lives of nearly all the main characters;[17]"

Dysfunctional Parents = Han & Leia
Daddy Issue = Han
Ying & Yang = Rey & Kylo

So in other words, Jakku might not have any inherent narrative value, Rey is not there because she was born there. She tells BB8 that where she is from is "top secret" also... this is to imply NOT JAKKU. She is not a science experiment or reincarnation or clone.... The secret facility that Emperor Palpatine has put there is guarded, no one coming in or out... it might be  red herring meant to fuel fan speculation......The mystery box has no inherent meaning in and of itself, it is just a catalyst for conflict and character development.  So Jakku = Island , as long as the box remains unopened or the mystery solved one/audience/fans can use there imaginations for theory crafting. Or essentially a waste of time that is perfect for SEO/social media. Ultimately they meant nothing... what mattered was the spiritual growth and relationships of the stranded survivors.

What do we know? What can we be sure of when it comes to Rey's Lineage/Parentage? So Daisy is correct, the answer is in TFA... whatever language it chooses, and on thing I know for sure being a Scavenger is a job description not who are my parents... Anytime someone says they are "no one" you should probably not take that literally, it almost always mean the opposite...

JJ said in the Blue Ray commentary that Rey was being taken away from her parents. Pablo says it looks like she was abandoned.... Who to believe?  I will go with JJ... The only thing that Rey every really said about herself is that she is TOP SECRET go with that....

She has real biological human parents ( family) ...let's go with that...

What is Rey's greater meaning to the Galaxy & the Force itself... let's go with the crawl from TFA ... to get Luke back to the fight/adventure...Rey is probably not hatched from an egg or born out of a force tree.  Redeeming Kylo... that is for EP8 and remains to be seen.

To be honest I am not a T.V. watcher, never saw one episode of Lost, but after reading of the last episode where serious fans still wondered what it was all about and where unsure of the ultimate answer after 10 seasons I am glad I did not waste my time.

Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 9 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9iFiP8pCQADFL1zUjwftMj_roZfBuLsc2YMXDTLCR7SUHW22gyw

@spacebaby45678

Neither I did! Wink  Anyway, I think you raise good points there. Perhaps, the answer is actually more simple that we think. When the answers will come out - whatever it is, we will probably all think: "Gee! Actually, that was actually so obvious".

Now, I really ask myself whether the fascination around Rey's parentage was really pushed by the Star Wars crew itself or it actually came from the jounalists and the Star Wats fandom - that both seem obssessed with this question as it was the only important question to answer.

Rey born on Jakku or somewhere else? Honestly I don't know: I haven't asked myself that question so much. Until now, I have rather thought that she was born elsewhere and "abandoned" there by her parents. What is really hard for me to believe is that her parents would have left her there on purpose in the hands of a such child-abuser like Unkar Plutt. Even Obi-Wan & Yoda who were chased by the Empire and had to disappear as fast as possible made sure to take the right decision to ensure Luke & Leia's safety. It's a miracle that Rey could survive in such harsch environment with a guy who could have killed her (after all a 5 years child wasn't very useful, right Question ), left her for dead or whatever.

Anyway, I really must read Aftermath one day to get more info on Jakku if you guys/girls think it's worth reading it.
reylo1992
reylo1992
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Tue 07 Feb 2017, 5:46 pm

snufkin wrote:
spacebaby45678 wrote:To be honest I am not a T.V. watcher, never saw one episode of Lost, but after reading of the last episode where serious fans still wondered what it was all about and where unsure of the ultimate answer after 10 seasons I am glad I did not waste my time.

The first half of the first season got me hooked, mostly because I grew up near the site of the Donner Party and civilized folks lost in the wilderness type stories are a big part of regional mythology. Once they started spiraling off into a more complicated interlinking set of mysteries and conspiracy theories (same problem I have with the X Files) is when I lost interest. Lost seems to be a huge part of the online nerd rage against JJ, though tbf it sounds like he wasn't the architect of the whole mythology. Personally I'm more a fan of Felicity, that's a much closer to the TFA type of story about young people coming of age together. As for Jakku, most plausible explanation is that her parents got mixed up in something and left her there for temporary safe keeping once they knew that they were in over their heads. Just that something really bad happened to them and they weren't able to come back for her.
@snufkin
I'm with you in having lost interest after the series started focusing more and more on conspiracy theories and whatnot (I'm guessing you didn't stick around long enough for the time travel either) LOL? But I would actually still recommend the show to anybody who asked me if they should watch it. The first few seasons were quite remarkable in their capacity to hook viewers, and that's really due to one thing: the characters and premise were great. Eventually it just got too strange for me and the characters lost their capacity to support the continuously shifting narrative. The writing suffered the same fate as countless American television series (like Heroes and Prison Break), but I can still appreciate the great for what was regardless of the bad/bizarre that came later. Not everything is about the end, and it's impossible for future writers to learn if they don't take inspiration and lessons from past screw-ups, even when it comes to tv series.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Tue 07 Feb 2017, 5:50 pm

@snufkin

I had no idea there was nerd rage against JJ fueled by the convolutions of the mythology of Lost... but I am a Trek fan and I know that many Trekkies have beef with him for his ridiculous parallel timeline and the Khan debacle.. So while he feels like anyone can be force sensitive he was not going to mess the the rules of GL's universe.. maybe that was a more mature lesson learned JJ that directed TFA....

@reylo1992

I think that Rey's parentage was fueled by the movie itself... JJ said if felt like TFA could only handle one family reveal, not where is Finn from and Who is Rey and by the way Kylo is HanLeia's kid...

that in of itself suggests that Rey has real parents why is she on Jakku alone and abandoned/left for her own survival..... that is the mystery.  I think some stories will eventually be spun from all the Jakku goings on but it may not have anything to do with who Rey's parents really are.
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Tue 07 Feb 2017, 9:45 pm

spacebaby45678 wrote:
@snufkin
I had no idea there was nerd rage against JJ fueled by the convolutions of the mythology of Lost... but I am a Trek fan and I know that many Trekkies have beef with him for his ridiculous parallel timeline and the Khan debacle.. So while he feels like anyone can be force sensitive he was not going to mess the the rules of GL's universe.. maybe that was a more mature lesson learned JJ that directed TFA....

Oh god, you're right about the Trekkies. They're one of the many different nerd rage factions JJ has chasing after him with pitchforks. It is funny how he's now being mea culpa about both lens flare and Mystery Boxes in recent interviews. Although you made me lol with the comment about not messing with the rules of Lucas' universe. Because that's another nerd rage faction, who are angry at him for the PT and midichlorians.
Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 9 Screen44

Personally I went into TFA knowing that she was an orphan holding vigil for her family to return. And came away with the conclusion that you could reasonably conclude that they were FS, got into a bad situation which resulted in leaving her there for safe keeping, something really bad happened to them (most likely connected to Snoke and the FO), and that Rey was deep in denial to avoid the trauma of what happened. It's the Internet who keeps insisting that she's Luke's kid.

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:@snufkin
I'm with you in having lost interest after the series started focusing more and more on conspiracy theories and whatnot (I'm guessing you didn't stick around long enough for the time travel either) LOL? But I would actually still recommend the show to anybody who asked me if they should watch it. The first few seasons were quite remarkable in their capacity to hook viewers, and that's really due to one thing: the characters and premise were great. Eventually it just got too strange for me and the characters lost their capacity to support the continuously shifting narrative. The writing suffered the same fate as countless American television series (like Heroes and Prison Break), but I can still appreciate the great for what was regardless of the bad/bizarre that came later. Not everything is about the end, and it's impossible for future writers to learn if they don't take inspiration and lessons from past screw-ups, even when it comes to tv series.

I think it was the whole "WAAAAALLLLT!! WAAAAALT!!" moment when I decided to move on. And I certainly got my interest piqued both by the ad campaign they had all over BART (San Francisco area's subway system) stations and then watching the pilot. But then when it moved past the initial mystery into coming up with these mysteries that just got tied up into bigger knots. Sort of like how I lost interest in The X-Files (actually I think that was around the time I switched over to watching Veronica Mars and found it more satisfying).

snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 08 Feb 2017, 10:05 pm

I see that some are running with the Luke + Dr. Aphra = Rey's parents because of the comic book crossover... Nice to know some fans are so predictable! http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-star-wars-and-doctor-aphra-comics-are-crossing-over-1792145782

Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 9 Scream10

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix Wed 08 Feb 2017, 10:19 pm

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:I see that some are running with the Luke + Dr. Aphra = Rey's parents because of the comic book crossover... Nice to know some fans are so predictable! http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-star-wars-and-doctor-aphra-comics-are-crossing-over-1792145782

@Mrs Ben Solo

I knew that was going to happen the minute I heard about the crossover.
Helix
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki Wed 08 Feb 2017, 10:33 pm

Helix wrote:
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:I see that some are running with the Luke + Dr. Aphra = Rey's parents because of the comic book crossover... Nice to know some fans are so predictable! http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-star-wars-and-doctor-aphra-comics-are-crossing-over-1792145782

@Mrs Ben Solo

I knew that was going to happen the minute I heard about the crossover.
@Helix

Lol...I wondered when this pairing was going to happen since Aphra had an adventure with the OT3 shortly before this as well.... Laughing But for this theory to work, Rey has to be part Asian... I think this has a better chance to be a build up to introduce KMT's character to people before episode 8 (I've suspected Aphra could be her mother)... they introduced Shara Bey a few months before episode 7 so this could be something similar....Btw, Aphra and her father have already reached a planet with an ancient citadel (maybe she'll bring Luke here later)...its littered with corpses carrying a new design of lightsaber.

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Thu 09 Feb 2017, 1:47 am

spacebaby45678 wrote:@GEMINI

Star Wars facebook is emphasizing this moment

Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 9 Tumblr_okz0baoVcM1v3o2r3o1_500
@spacebaby45678

When I write the script, I hear the movie more in terms of the music than I do in terms of sound effects. I can actually hear it in my mind. I pay a lot of attention to the music, even during the early stages of writing. The Star Wars movies are, in essence, silent movies because they are stories that are told visually; and in silent movies the relationship between image and music is everything. A lot of the story and a lot of emotion are told through the music. It is one of the most important elements of a film.

George Lucas, The Making of Episode I - The Phantom Menace

Rey's Lineage Discussion II - Page 9 Tumblr_inline_ol35gqlhni1seu1dq_540
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 31 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 20 ... 31  Next