Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Rey Kenobi Files

+49
ZioRen
Darth Rowan
Starliteprism
adamdrivershair
MyOnlyHope
FrolickingFizzgig
RosiePancake
Moonlight13
Darth Dingbat
MrsWindu
gwendy85
bashfulblueeyes3
salmund
Casper
Little_Boots
reylo1992
ReyofLightSide
Kylo Men
TheBastardofMandalore
Gemini
snufkin
Geralt_Riv
MeadowofAshes
ISeeAnIsland
fuhry
BigDeal2187
TheLastJedi
IoJovi
Rimfaxe96
nemapasara
SheLitAFire
Cowgirlsamurai
AceofWands
DarthRen
Blood Moon
motherofpearl1
kroi
spacebaby45678
Acritiqua
vaderito
Maria26
SkyStar
Kyla Ren
Pyro Nebula
Reylo Lemon
LastCrusadeLeft
Hasi
Sylvia Snow
Piper Maru
53 posters

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

The Rey Kenobi Files - Page 39 Empty Re: The Rey Kenobi Files

Post by Gemini Fri 08 Dec 2017, 1:29 am

It could be me In total denial

But he did cross his fingers which in the uk means you are actually lying through your teeth with what you are saying. It also means wishing luck... So why do that when answering this way?

What I'm noticing is a pattern with the way daisy and now john are handling the situation when lineage and the word Kenobi are uttered.  

They get uncomfortable/try to move the question along by lying?

Daisy pretends like she never heard  of it before and swiftly diverts the question.  Twice she's done this.  Whereas in other situations she reacted more positive.

"I've never met Kenobi"- lie,  rey has met him.

"I'm Ben Kenobi? ".. Ohhh ohh I dunno" and proceeds to divert the question (when then questioned about her being grand daughter)  like lol,  seriously that's your answer?

Ohh what that's the first time I've heard of that!  Ohh ohh I dunno if she's his granddaughter
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by fuhry Fri 08 Dec 2017, 9:59 am

TheBastardofMandalore wrote:
Acritiqua wrote:The weird thing is John crossed his fingers as he said it.
@Acritiqua

The Rey Kenobi Files - Page 39 E226ff10

I’m glad you noticed that too... Wink
@TheBastardofMandalore

Wow, did he really do that?    Iiiiiiiinteresting.....  What if he was trying to keep the surprise under wraps.. "Trust me on this one (you don't want this surprise spoiled"...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LyingFingerCross

It also looked like he began his debunking before the interviewer even mentioned Kenobi - as if he was intending to debunk the idea the accent was planned to be significant.

Last edited by fuhry on Fri 08 Dec 2017, 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added something else)
fuhry
fuhry
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire Fri 08 Dec 2017, 10:27 am

fuhry wrote:
TheBastardofMandalore wrote:
Acritiqua wrote:The weird thing is John crossed his fingers as he said it.
@Acritiqua

The Rey Kenobi Files - Page 39 E226ff10

I’m glad you noticed that too... Wink
@TheBastardofMandalore

Wow, did he really do that?    Iiiiiiiinteresting.....  What if he was trying to keep the surprise under wraps.. "Trust me on this one (you don't want this surprise spoiled"...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LyingFingerCross

It also looked like he began his debunking before the interviewer even mentioned Kenobi - as if he was intending to debunk the idea the accent was planned to be significant.

@fuhry

I will say, that's what I thought too (bolded). I really have no particular attachment to any parentage theory (so I feel like I'm as unbiased as they come), but to me it seemed like his main comment "move on from that" was more about the accent having significance than anything else. It was the way he said it and when he said it.
SheLitAFire
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Fri 08 Dec 2017, 1:24 pm

Spoiler from Visual Dictionary:

Last edited by SheLitAFire on Mon 11 Dec 2017, 10:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added spoiler tags)
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by adamdrivershair Fri 08 Dec 2017, 2:18 pm

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
Spoiler from Visual Dictionary :
@FrolickingFizzgig

Hey, do you mind putting this in spoiler tags? I'm trying to avoid leaks.

Wish I could join y'all in the spoiler section but I've been holding out so far!
adamdrivershair
adamdrivershair
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Fri 08 Dec 2017, 2:22 pm

Oops. Wasn't thinking at all. I'm not used this...
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by BigDeal2187 Fri 08 Dec 2017, 2:39 pm

Here's the video in question.  The discussion of accents starts at 12:00.

"I don't want ... I think the fans should move on from that one,"
The Rey Kenobi Files - Page 39 Move_o11

"guys, trust me, I've got your back."
The Rey Kenobi Files - Page 39 Finger10

"Move on from that one."
The Rey Kenobi Files - Page 39 Move_o10

It is possible that John is simply saying to move on from accents as a clue to Rey's parents/lineage ("I don't think that those two worlds mesh into the narrative").  When the interviewer suggests that perhaps accents might be a clue as to Rey's parents John goes "hmmm..." and "ohhh...." as though he hasn't really thought about it before.

Nevertheless I still think that John is aware of some of the different parentage/lineage theories for Rey, so the problem as I see it is that it's not until the interviewer mentions the name, Obi-Wan, that Boyega says to move on from that one.  When I watched this video for the first time it was very apparent to me where the interviewer was going with his line of questioning, then when he says "It's just interesting because Obi-Wan had..." that's when John says to "move on."

Am I wrong here?
Spoiler:
 I don't know.  My gut instinct is that John was debunking it.

And Rey force grabbing Kylo's saber, is there a parallel to that in the previous films?  (In AOTC Obi-Wan tosses his saber to Anakin).
Spoiler:
-- this mirrors Obi-Wan's stubbornness in wanting to train Anakin in spite of Yoda's and the Jedi Council's protests.  Ah, maybe I should "move on" from this Smile
BigDeal2187
BigDeal2187
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism Fri 08 Dec 2017, 4:18 pm

adamdrivershair wrote:
FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
Spoiler from Visual Dictionary :
@FrolickingFizzgig

Hey, do you mind putting this in spoiler tags? I'm trying to avoid leaks.

Wish I could join y'all in the spoiler section but I've been holding out so far!
@adamdrivershair

Yea, I think I've had my quota of spoilers now. My personal bat signal is now flashing against the night sky as scanned pics of 5-minute stories are being shared of the movie, same sort of sets I normally read to my child a times.

Good on you for holding out. I've got exactly 6.5 days until I will be sitting my bottom in a cinema seat, nachos in hand, with a similar excitement to that of a child waiting for her parents to wake up in the morning to open Christmas presents. :-p
Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by fuhry Mon 11 Dec 2017, 9:40 am

I'm struggling not to go over to the spoilers section. I tend to want spoilers, but sometime last week, I started resisting. I went into TFA pretty much knowing that Han was going to die. Still, during that scene, I was like, "OK, here it comes", but then I was like "Maybe that Han dying thing was just a rumor, because I think Kylo is going to redeem here!" Then it was like "Welp". All in all it worked out, but I've started to feel like I know enough.

I accidentally read that spoiler above. It's not something that surprises me, I had a feeling something like that would occur. It did make me consider that we may find out who Rey's parents are in this film without actually getting much extra background, like for instance, who her grandparents are.
fuhry
fuhry
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire Mon 11 Dec 2017, 10:34 am

@fuhry

Sorry, I just now added spoiler tags in case others who visit this thread are avoiding leaks/spoilers. Sorry for not getting to it sooner!
SheLitAFire
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBastardofMandalore Wed 13 Dec 2017, 8:27 pm

@Gemini
@spacebaby45678

Just going to leave this here as a reminder...there’s always hope.  Wink Keep your chins up ladies!

Last edited by TheBastardofMandalore on Thu 14 Dec 2017, 1:00 am; edited 2 times in total
TheBastardofMandalore
TheBastardofMandalore
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by TheBastardofMandalore Thu 14 Dec 2017, 12:41 am

TheBastardofMandalore wrote:@Gemini
@spacebaby45678

Just going to leave this here as a reminder...there’s always hope.  Wink Keep your chins up ladies!

OMG, good Lord! I accidentally hit the strike through instead of the hide text icon in my previous post.  Rolling Eyes Sorry all! It’s been a loooong day. I realize it’s probably too late to fix it but I did it anyway.
TheBastardofMandalore
TheBastardofMandalore
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by fuhry Thu 14 Dec 2017, 7:00 am

I gotta say that in the last few days the 'no spoilers' section of this forum is, like, a 75% fail lol. It's the 'sorta spoilers' section. Glad I'm going to see it tonight!!
fuhry
fuhry
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

The Rey Kenobi Files - Page 39 Empty Rey Kenobi...there is still hope

Post by fuhry Fri 15 Dec 2017, 2:09 pm

OK, so the Dark Side force cave showed her nothing but her own reflection, and unstable, selfish Kylo who is afraid to cede any power to her convinces her that her parents sold her to Plutt for an eighth of pot and transport off the planet.

I'm not buying it people!   I don't know who those people were that sold her to Unkar Plutt, but I say they weren't her parents, and even if they were, they weren't her grandparents!

Last edited by fuhry on Wed 03 Jan 2018, 9:29 am; edited 1 time in total
fuhry
fuhry
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat Fri 15 Dec 2017, 2:15 pm

fuhry wrote:OK, so the Dark Side force cave showed her nothing but her own reflection, and unstable, selfish Kylo who is afraid to cede any power to her convinces her that her parents sold her to Plutt for an eighth of pot and transport off the planet.

I'm not buying it people! I don't know who those people were that sold her to Unkar Plutt, but I say they weren't her parents, and even if they were, they weren't her grandparents!
@fuhry

I thought he got that information from her mind. As in, it was something she already knew.

I don't think Kylo has actually lied to her at any point.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru Fri 15 Dec 2017, 2:17 pm

Yeah, Kylo is a complete mess but he's not a liar. He's pretty sincere during the whole movie and when he drops the parentage bomb on her, it was the truth, and she knew it.
Piper Maru
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Fri 15 Dec 2017, 2:23 pm

It's not a delusion or a lie, he's telling her the truth. It's tied to the Interrogation Scene, it's what he sees in her with the "you're so lonely, so desperate to leave" line. And he didn't force it out her the way he forced information out of Poe - he saw it, recognized it because he knew what it felt like, and it sparked the bundle of feelings (compassion, tenderness, but also "let's be miserable together") he has for her. It's also him mirroring her "you'll never be as strong as Darth Vader." Because that was his greatest fear and hers in turn is the truth she's been suppressing. He gets it out of her and helps her face it, which makes it possible for her to move on.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Rowan Fri 15 Dec 2017, 2:59 pm

fuhry wrote:OK, so the Dark Side force cave showed her nothing but her own reflection, and unstable, selfish Kylo who is afraid to cede any power to her convinces her that her parents sold her to Plutt for an eighth of pot and transport off the planet.

I'm not buying it people! I don't know who those people were that sold her to Unkar Plutt, but I say they weren't her parents, and even if they were, they weren't her grandparents!
@fuhry

I’m with you that there’s probably more to Rey’s parentage than TLJ lets on, but I don’t think Kylo Ren would knowingly lie to Rey. He doesn’t lie, if anything he uses his sincerity like a hammer to bash people with lol.
Darth Rowan
Darth Rowan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by fuhry Fri 15 Dec 2017, 5:22 pm

Darth Rowan wrote:

I'm not buying it people!   I don't know who those people were that sold her to Unkar Plutt, but I say they weren't her parents, and even if they were, they weren't her grandparents!
@fuhry

I’m with you that there’s probably more to Rey’s parentage than TLJ lets on, but I don’t think Kylo Ren would knowingly lie to Rey. He doesn’t lie, if anything he uses his sincerity like a hammer to bash people with lol.
@Darth Rowan

Well, maybe he doesn't lie to her but he makes suggestions.  "You know I can take what I want."    The truth of it is that Rey may be wondering "Can he take what he wants?"   Similarly, he says "You already know the answer - your parents were lowlifes that sold you off".  Probably in Rey's brain, it's a question - "Were my parents lowlifes that sold me off"?  And I think Kylo wants to convince her she has nothing, no connection, because he wants her to accept the connection he is offering (where he gets to hold the weapons and decide where to fire them in the name of eradicating the past).  Come to think of it Maz does the same thing "You already know the answer".  But that's talking about 'family' and not 'parents'.  But I guess it just depends on whether the suggester has an agenda.

There's nothing wrong with having her come from insignificant parentage, part of me likes it (Kylo would say "You already know you like it").  And there was no narrative purpose, in this movie, of exposing her parentage.  But I kind of feel it still seems open ended.

Last edited by fuhry on Fri 15 Dec 2017, 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : misspelling)
fuhry
fuhry
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 Fri 15 Dec 2017, 5:39 pm

fuhry wrote:
Darth Rowan wrote:

@fuhry

@Darth Rowan

Well, maybe he doesn't lie to her but he makes suggestions.  "You know I can take what I want."    The truth of it is that Rey may be wondering "Can he take what he wants?"   Similarly, he says "You already know the answer - your parents were lowlifes that sold you off".  Probably in Rey's brain, it's a question - "Were my parents lowlifes that sold me off"?  And I think Kylo wants to convince her she has nothing, no connection, because he wants her to accept the connection he is offering (where he gets to hold the weapons and decide where to fire them in the name of eradicating the past).  Come to think of it Maz does the same thing "You already know the answer".  But that's talking about 'family' and not 'parents'.  But I guess it just depends on whether the suggester has an agenda.

There's nothing wrong with having her come from insignificant parentage, part of me likes it (Kylo would say "You already know you like it").  And there was no narrative purpose, in this movie, of exposing her parentage.  But I kind of feel it still seems open ended.
@fuhry

I definitely think that Kylo doesn't lie to her even if he badly wants her by his side. I feel like it's still opened but tbh it would be awful to know that Obi-Wan's spawn abandoned his own daughter to starve to death. On this forum, a lot of us - including me - thought that no parent would dare to abandon their child like that and that's why it was not Luke. Well, we know now that it was unfortunately possible. So what does it bring to the story to make her a Kenobi in these circumstances?
reylo1992
reylo1992
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen Fri 15 Dec 2017, 6:28 pm

Honestly, and maybe this is strange, but I think a reveal that Kylo was lying to her in that moment would be an enormous strike against Reylo. Even if it's not the truth, I hope Kylo at least thinks it is.

I'm going to be pretty angry if that whole reveal turns out to be fake or they cop out of keeping it as her background in IX. I think it really works, and is one of the only really bold choices made in TLJ, in my opinion.
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ReyofLightSide Fri 15 Dec 2017, 6:33 pm

As much as I would have loved for her to be a Kenobi- and I thought she would be- alas I don't think it is happening. I think Rey's "I'm no one" from the first teaser trailer for TFA was the truth.
ReyofLightSide
ReyofLightSide
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Casper Fri 15 Dec 2017, 6:40 pm

fuhry wrote:
Darth Rowan wrote:

@fuhry

@Darth Rowan

@fuhry
Actually, he doesn't say it, he tells her to: "Say it."  The truth is, he didn't say anything about her parents that she didn't already 'know.'

But what does she really know?

I don't think those were her parents.  I think they were her foster parents or that they might have stolen or even bought her after she was separated somehow from her real family, but she may have really believed they were her folks.   And Kylo saw them too, since he got that vision from her mind, and those were the only parents she'd ever known.  But Kylo likely felt there was 'more,' but failed to mention it because he doesn't want her to belong to anyone but him.  

I don't think she knows who she is.  Adam called her a princess, and I don't think that was misdirection.  I also don't think it meant that she was this incredibly powerful force user that came from 'nothing.'  There was one major hint in the movie that she might still be a Kenobi: the scene where R2 replays the original Leia distress hologram to Obi Wan, and then immediately after the camera pans to sleeping Rey.  I actually came out of this movie more convinced of the Kenobi theory than ever.

Casper
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by BigDeal2187 Fri 15 Dec 2017, 11:20 pm

One thing I don't understand, and maybe I just need to watch it again, but didn't Kylo tell Rey that her parents were dead in a pauper's grave in the Jakku desert (or something like that)? Or am I misquoting? How does that jive with the force vision in TFA where a young, distressed Rey is screaming "come back" to the ship leaving Jakku?
BigDeal2187
BigDeal2187
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Casper Sat 16 Dec 2017, 12:53 am

BigDeal2187 wrote:One thing I don't understand, and maybe I just need to watch it again, but didn't Kylo tell Rey that her parents were dead in a pauper's grave in the Jakku desert (or something like that)?  Or am I misquoting?  How does that jive with the force vision in TFA where a young, distressed Rey is screaming "come back" to the ship leaving Jakku?
@BigDeal2187

It doesn't; you're right. That kind of confused me too.  Maybe he was making an assumption, like that they're so insignificant that they ended their miserable, insignificant little lives in the same place she would have if she hadn't been 'awoken' by him.  I think he knows or senses that there's more to her story, but he doesn't want her to go there.  He wants her to go to him, and we saw that there's still a connection between them at the end (they were able to contact each other with their minds even after their 'break-up').  He's all about killing the past, so he can't understand her need to reconcile it.

Casper
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 39 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40  Next