Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interview Revelations: "Hidden princess" and "the relationship between Rey and Kylo" and more golden quotes discussion

+58
MoonFyre
Saracene
Darth Dementor
IoJovi
LesCousinsDangereux
rey09
Moonjump05
CienaRee
SkyStar
Reylo Lemon
SanghaRen
nite0wl29
Kylo Rey
Blood Moon
RosiePancake
panki
Mana
vaderito
EchoBase
Kyla Ren
Maria26
Anakin Skywalker
C.V
Darth_Awakened
Man Without A Star
Darth Dingbat
Night Huntress
Gemini
Lily Snape
Kylo Men
adamdrivershair
Irina de France
Lovely_Rose
ReyofLightSide
Helix
ZioRen
bashfulblueeyes3
Forsythia
reylo1992
Tex
snufkin
Rei of Sunshine
SheLitAFire
Cowgirlsamurai
AceofWands
BenRey
SoloSideCousin
DeeBee
shii405
Piper Maru
spacebaby45678
Kessel
FrolickingFizzgig
PalmettoBlue
Darth Rowan
Moonlight13
DarthRen
MrsWindu
62 posters

Page 10 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Go down

Interview Revelations:  "Hidden princess" and "the relationship between Rey and Kylo" and more golden quotes discussion - Page 10 Empty Re: Interview Revelations: "Hidden princess" and "the relationship between Rey and Kylo" and more golden quotes discussion

Post by Cowgirlsamurai Mon 30 Oct 2017, 10:41 am

Tex wrote:
Cowgirlsamurai wrote:Do we really think that Rian came up with Jedi Princess Rey? This is all still baffling to me scratch
@Cowgirlsamurai

I think we're suggesting that Disney came up with Jedi Princess Rey Laughing Disney is all about the strong, bad-a** princesses these days. I wouldn't put it past them to give LF a bullet point list of stipulations that they wanted them to incorporate into the franchise before they even started writing the script.

I'm not 100% sold that Adam was talking about Rey's character, but I'm not against it either. Very Happy
@Tex

Well that's what I was wondering...if Disney suggested it so that Rey could join the ranks as a Disney princess. I would think that Rian would roll his eyes at that, lol. Sorry, but I was really attached to the "no one" who had a powerful Force connection with a dark prince story. Argh. I'll try not to stew about it until we get confirmation  Laughing

@Darth Rowan
Yeah, I was hoping she'd BECOME royalty in a way Razz
Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Interview Revelations:  "Hidden princess" and "the relationship between Rey and Kylo" and more golden quotes discussion - Page 10 Empty Re: Interview Revelations: "Hidden princess" and "the relationship between Rey and Kylo" and more golden quotes discussion

Post by Tex Mon 30 Oct 2017, 10:43 am

Darth Dingbat wrote:
Tex wrote:
Cowgirlsamurai wrote:Do we really think that Rian came up with Jedi Princess Rey? This is all still baffling to me scratch
@Cowgirlsamurai

I think we're suggesting that Disney came up with Jedi Princess Rey Laughing Disney is all about the strong, bad-a** princesses these days. I wouldn't put it past them to give LF a bullet point list of stipulations that they wanted them to incorporate into the franchise before they even started writing the script.

I'm not 100% sold that Adam was talking about Rey's character, but I'm not against it either. Very Happy
@Tex

I wouldn't say it's a Disney thing - so far, each leading lady in the saga has been royalty, after all.
@Darth Dingbat

Haha true! I forgot about that. I guess it's as JJ said when you're working in the constructs of a fairy tale you naturally will incorporate elements that reflect that genre. In this case a princess and a prince.

Also this randomly floated into my mind when you mentioned all the female leads being royalty, but thinking back to some Tumblr posts about the dynamics between the couples in the saga films. We had a Queen and a Slave and a Princess and a Smuggler. We assumed that the next dynamic would be a Scavenger and a Prince, but with the theme of Balance in mind it would be interesting if they both turned out to be royalty masquerading as something else. Unknowingly both equals in the Force and in political stature.

EDIT: @cowgirlsamurai

It's all speculation until proven otherwise! So don't let it get you down just yet. We won't know till we see the full article.
Tex
Tex
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen Mon 30 Oct 2017, 10:55 am

Someone explain it to me. So GQ interviews an actor, publishes a teaser in their website and includes a spoiler warning?! What kind of journalism is that? Wouldn’t a serious magazine, if they thought something was spoilery, actually call back the actor to ask if it is ok to publish rather than put a spoiler warning up? It does not compute. Sounds all very fishy to me and not very ethical.

In any case I am so jaded right now. My first reaction was “Why now? Can’t they let it go?” I was happy with just the part on Kylo. I am getting allergic reactions to so-called spoilers lately especially from more renowned magazines. I would rather they stay in their category and give us nicely written articles with quality pictures that make us feel like we are actually talking with the actor and actress. If even they go down the trash path of playing spoiler warning games... Oh, well, I guess quality does not matter anymore.
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat Mon 30 Oct 2017, 10:59 am

SanghaRen wrote:Someone explain it to me. So GQ interviews an actor, publishes a teaser in their website and includes a spoiler warning?! What kind of journalism is that? Wouldn’t a serious magazine, if they thought something was spoilery, actually call back the actor to ask if it is ok to publish rather than put a spoiler warning up? It does not compute. Sounds all very fishy to me and not very ethical.

In any case I am so jaded right now. My first reaction was “Why now? Can’t they let it go?” I was happy with just the part on Kylo. I am getting allergic reactions to so-called spoilers lately especially from more renowned magazines. I would rather they stay in their category and give us nicely written articles with quality pictures that make us feel like we are actually talking with the actor and actress. If even they go down the trash path of playing spoiler warning games... Oh, well, I guess quality does not matter anymore.
@SanghaRen

Even better, it says "spoiler alert" on the cover Smile (Above "Star Wars".)

Interview Revelations:  "Hidden princess" and "the relationship between Rey and Kylo" and more golden quotes discussion - Page 10 Landscape
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Mon 30 Oct 2017, 11:02 am

@Darth Dingbat This thing is totally coordinated with LF so the question is what is LF trying  to tell us?Very Happy

IMO, it's a big prep for Not Skywalker and Not Eviler Kylo. They want as many fans as possible to enter acceptance phase before the movie comes out. It's opening people up to new possibilities rather than dashing the headcanons in one fell swoop which would only created resistance and rejection.

Last edited by vaderito on Mon 30 Oct 2017, 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Reylo Lemon Mon 30 Oct 2017, 11:17 am

Daisy must be so happy that she can finally talk about Rey and Kylo! #OurQueen
Reylo Lemon
Reylo Lemon
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by C.V Mon 30 Oct 2017, 11:18 am

after daisy quote im really looking forward to how they unravel rey's past, cant wait. as for Adam's i have to agree with the other's here who believe this is about leia. something just doesnt sit right with me given what i saw in TFA to believe she knows she is a princess who is hiding to survive in a junkyard planet.

also "hidden identity of this princess who is hiding who she really is" doesnt sound like she is hiding her princess identity but rather like kylo, puts a mask to play a role and runaway from who they really are, kind of like leia who has never properly dealt with vader being her father even when knowing that he came back to the light, she still doesnt understand it and never got closure like luke and basically threw herself into her work, which makes me think her arc may have something to do with that but with ben/kylo where she finally understands and gets closure, though im not sure how they will resolve it in ep 9 but that's for another time. the past was revealed in bloodline and i expect we may see that element in the movies in relation to ben/kylo's fall and understand why his on this path and how it happened, how it affected him etc. after all, all the characters are going to be challenged so i expect leia to be as well and have her own character arc which will most definitely link with kylo, they wouldnt just skimp on their relationship, especially if kylo is getting redeemed. idk i think it makes more sense if its leia. that's my 2 cents, it very well could turn out to be rey but why would they drop some concrete info on a part of rey's origin so close to the release of TLJ given they have kept it pretty close to their chest for the past 2 years and know how crazy fans have been over the parent debate.

Last edited by C.V on Mon 30 Oct 2017, 11:30 am; edited 2 times in total
C.V
C.V
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen Mon 30 Oct 2017, 11:19 am

Darth Dingbat wrote:
SanghaRen wrote:Someone explain it to me. So GQ interviews an actor, publishes a teaser in their website and includes a spoiler warning?! What kind of journalism is that? Wouldn’t a serious magazine, if they thought something was spoilery, actually call back the actor to ask if it is ok to publish rather than put a spoiler warning up? It does not compute. Sounds all very fishy to me and not very ethical.

@SanghaRen

Interview Revelations:  "Hidden princess" and "the relationship between Rey and Kylo" and more golden quotes discussion - Page 10 Landscape
@Darth Dingbat

I like it less and less then. I still think they should focus on providing quality articles. As for LF they should also let the film speak for itself. Sorry, if I sound grumpy, but there are also many people out there who are not obsessed with SW and spoilers while still planning to see TLJ and catering to a small faction of the audience sounds like a weird approach to me. For GQ or LF. That’s the kind of article that will be remembered only for what could be a misquote or some sort of manipulation for the dedicated fans and not for the quality of its writing or how it gave you some insights into Adam’s down to earth Wink attitude. If both journalist and actor are happy with that approach, what can I say except that I am baffled. I expected more, Idk, class. We’ll see what the full article says, I guess.
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine Mon 30 Oct 2017, 11:25 am

The more I read about this #PRINCESS!GATE thing, the more I am convinced this is LFL's strategy to keep Star Wars trending in conversations.

Most media outlets have now publish at least 1 article about Adam's GQ interview.

Now while there might be some truth to his words about Rey being a princess, take that word out and replace it with any other female pronoun, the statement becomes somewhat vague and nonspoilery at all.

However he did use the word PRINCESS, which could both be literal, but most likely figurative. Maybe AD meant to say HEROINE? Because princess and heroines do go hand in hand in Disney.

I'm not disregarding any parentage theories like Kenobi, Prana or Palpatine... However, parentage is and always will be a huge spoiler, and I doubt LFL would simply let it out like that.

Right now, I am 100% certain this is a clever strategy of LFL.

What better way to build up hype for the movie than make the audience ask more questions? With the answers only the movie can provide.
Rei of Sunshine
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar Mon 30 Oct 2017, 11:26 am

SanghaRen wrote:
Darth Dingbat wrote:

@SanghaRen

@Darth Dingbat

I like it less and less then. I still think they should focus on providing quality articles. As for LF they should also let the film speak for itself. Sorry, if I sound grumpy, but there are also many people out there who are not obsessed with SW and spoilers while still planning to see TLJ and catering to a small faction of the audience sounds like a weird approach to me. For GQ or LF. That’s the kind of article that will be remembered only for what could be a misquote or some sort of manipulation for the dedicated fans and not for the quality of its writing or how it gave you some insights into Adam’s down to earth Wink attitude. If both journalist and actor are happy with that approach, what can I say except that I am baffled. I expected more, Idk, class. We’ll see what the full article says, I guess.
@SanghaRen

I took it as a flirting with the general audience. Wink Wink we have spoilers. But the GA won't take it as something particulary special anyway.
SkyStar
SkyStar
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru Mon 30 Oct 2017, 11:27 am

I don't see any problem with this kind of promotion. It's marketing, after all. Adam Driver is an actor, he has a contract, he's paid to do certain things and promote the movie. Lucasfilm is trying to make money and make us invested in their product (aka, the movie). It's perfect normal to write click-bait articles like this one.
Piper Maru
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat Mon 30 Oct 2017, 11:31 am

vaderito wrote:@Darth Dingbat This thing is totally coordinated with LF so the question thing is what is LF trying  to tell us?Very Happy

IMO, it's a big prep for Not Skywalker and Not Eviler Kylo. They want as many fans as possible to enter acceptance phase before the movie comes out. It's opening people up to new possibilities rather than dashing the headcanons in one fell swoop which would only created resistance and rejection.
@vaderito

What I'm curious to see if the "princess" talk finds it way to any other promotion beyond this one interview. I could see it as a way to start pointing people towards the real mystery of Rey's origins (assuming there is one), instead of the tired old "IS SHE LUKE'S OR NOT" chestnut. And sufficiently late to confuse people and pique their curiosity, but not leaving them much time to speculate themselves out of the "whaaat??" stage.

I mean, these are the people who did a silly PSA about Jyn not being Rey's mother. That only served to anger fans and didn't really accomplish much because the film itself made it clear she was nobody's mother. I think they do care about the mindset with which people go to see the film.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase Mon 30 Oct 2017, 11:33 am

Someone please call Eleven to close all those gates Lolilol

Last edited by EchoBase on Mon 30 Oct 2017, 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
EchoBase
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat Mon 30 Oct 2017, 11:34 am

Rei of Sunshine wrote:The more I read about this #PRINCESS!GATE thing, the more I am convinced this is LFL's strategy to keep Star Wars trending in conversations.

Most media outlets have now publish at least 1 article about Adam's GQ interview.

Now while there might be some truth to his words about Rey being a princess, take that word out and replace it with any other female pronoun, the statement becomes somewhat vague and nonspoilery at all.

However he did use the word PRINCESS, which could both be literal, but most likely figurative. Maybe AD meant to say HEROINE? Because princess and heroines do go hand in hand in Disney.

I'm not disregarding any parentage theories like Kenobi, Prana or Palpatine... However, parentage is and always will be a huge spoiler, and I doubt LFL would simply let it out like that.

What better way to build up hype for the movie than make the audience ask more questions? With the answers only the movie can provide.
@Rei of Sunshine

See, the word choice here is what makes the quote curious. To my ears, it doesn't sound natural for him to use the word "princess" just as a generic way to refer to a woman or a heroine or whatever.

In fact, it sounds kind of patronising and stupid unless there's a specific reason he's talking about a princess.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine Mon 30 Oct 2017, 11:42 am

Darth Dingbat wrote:
Rei of Sunshine wrote:The more I read about this #PRINCESS!GATE thing, the more I am convinced this is LFL's strategy to keep Star Wars trending in conversations.

@Rei of Sunshine

See, the word choice here is what makes the quote curious. To my ears, it doesn't sound natural for him to use the word "princess" just as a generic way to refer to a woman or a heroine or whatever.

In fact, it sounds kind of patronising and stupid unless there's a specific reason he's talking about a princess.
@Darth Dingbat

I was joking earlier how it could just be AD's nickname for Daisy. haha

Yes, the choice is intruiging indeed. But what if the word was suggested to him by his LFL PR coach? Adam is an actor after all and can follow a script, discreet as it is. Heck, he even mentioned how he's basically just 'acting down to earth' during SDCC because Carrie told him so. And he seems the type to follow instructions on point, for fear Disney snipers.

That sounds way too conspiratorial, but not impossible, right? (sniper part is a joke btw)

So, AD goes to say some revealing but not spoiler things about Kylo, then he drops info on a nameless female character he calls princess. It's about Rey of course. But like I said, change that pronoun to something else, the statement wouldn't be half as interesting and talked about like it is now.

I'm not saying she really isn't a princess. But I'm also saying I'm calling LFL's bluff.

We knew stuff like this would happen. This is the TLJ mktg season after all. We just need to know how to look out for them.
Rei of Sunshine
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AceofWands Mon 30 Oct 2017, 11:42 am

Count me in for those who think it's a cool strategy.  

And yeah, on the cover, totally not planned. I'm also assuming PH was previously warned not to get involved. Not planned at all.   Razz Very Happy  
I agree with @vaderito and @darth dingbat. It's not a slip

@SanghaRen I understand your "let the movie speak for itself", but how has it been working so far? People watch the end of TFA and think it's a father/daughter reunion!

They've been dropping hints and hints against Reywalker, and nothing works. Finally, it's much more interesting to make people speculate to who she is, than just be disappointed as to who she isn't. And it isn't a spoiler. We don't know anything about who she is or why she was abandoned. It doesn't reveal plot.

Last edited by AceofWands on Mon 30 Oct 2017, 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
AceofWands
AceofWands
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen Mon 30 Oct 2017, 11:42 am

So no clarification on this, yet? Darn it. I'd like to know if it really is about Leia or not so I can start speculating. I'm still thinking it's Leia, but I guess I'll only find out when the article comes out.
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Mon 30 Oct 2017, 11:43 am

Darth Dingbat wrote:
vaderito wrote:@Darth Dingbat This thing is totally coordinated with LF so the question thing is what is LF trying  to tell us?Very Happy

@vaderito

What I'm curious to see if the "princess" talk finds it way to any other promotion beyond this one interview. I could see it as a way to start pointing people towards the real mystery of Rey's origins (assuming there is one), instead of the tired old "IS SHE LUKE'S OR NOT" chestnut. And sufficiently late to confuse people and pique their curiosity, but not leaving them much time to speculate themselves out of the "whaaat??" stage.

I mean, these are the people who did a silly PSA about Jyn not being Rey's mother. That only served to anger fans and didn't really accomplish much because the film itself made it clear she was nobody's mother. I think they do care about the mindset with which people go to see the film.
@Darth Dingbat

Yep, I think they learned from ReyGate that point blank debunk has the opposite effect - supporters retreating deeper into Denialville. The same goes for Rey Solo debunk but very few cared for that theory after TFA came out - majority immediately jumped on Reywalker wagon - so only the staunchest supporters are still in Delusionville but nobody cares about them cause they are so few.

Therefore, pointing people in the right direction and away from wrong conclusions, opening them up to possibilities outside of the box is better way to get people aboard, when they come to the right conclusions themselves.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AceofWands Mon 30 Oct 2017, 11:45 am

ZioRen wrote:So no clarification on this, yet? Darn it. I'd like to know if it really is about Leia or not so I can start speculating. I'm still thinking it's Leia, but I guess I'll only find out when the article comes out.
@ZioRen

They want people talking. I don't think there will be any clarification.
AceofWands
AceofWands
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Tex Mon 30 Oct 2017, 11:49 am

AceofWands wrote:Count me in for those who think it's a cool strategy.  

And yeah, on the cover, totally not planned. I'm also assuming PH was previously warned not to get involved. Not planned at all.   Razz Very Happy  
I agree with @vaderito and @darth dingbat. It's not a slip

@ShangaRen I understand your "let the movie speak for itself", but how has it been working so far? People watch the end of TFA and think it's a father/daughter reunion!

They've been dropping hints and hints against Reywalker, and nothing works. Finally, it's much more interesting to make people speculate to who she is, than just be disappointed as to who she isn't. And it isn't a spoiler. We don't know anything about who she is or why she was abandoned. It doesn't reveal plot.

@AceofWands

Oh it's totally planned! Very masterful marketing. It really doesn't matter if the quote ends up being about Rey or not. It's stirred up discussion and that's exactly what LF/Disney wants. They want to keep the hype train going.
Tex
Tex
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 Mon 30 Oct 2017, 11:50 am

Some thoughts about the possible implications of the let's call it "Princessgate".

Pure speculation in that post, but I think it would be interesting with this key information to come back to some previous discussion we had within these two years.

As nobody has debunked/rectified Adam's comment (i.e. like "No! Actually, he was talking Leia") since yesterday, no way IMO that he was referring to someone else than Rey. Of course, Rey could still be a princess in the Disney sense of the term like Cinderella, Belle, etc...who are considered as Disney Princesses without having royal origins.

Like I have written in several posts, I have never thought deeply about her origins because I never got so interested in this in regard to Maz's line saying that "the belonging she seeks (her birth family) is not behind. It is ahead (future family)" but let's say that I trust the many evidences that the ReyKenobis have brought for nearly two years.  IMO these Obi-Wan/Rey parallels that have been regularly pointed out are enough to convince me that the ReyKenobis are onto something. I also agree with @spacebaby45678 who wrote in the ReyKenobi thread that Daisy saying that there would be something moving is hint more at Kenobi than Dark Side background. Obi-Wan may have no royal background but if ReyKenobis about his secret child with Duchess Satine Kryze from Mandalore, Rey can indeed be considered as royalty no matter what. So for the rest of that post, I will consider the possibility that she is FS through the Kenobi lineage and royalty though the Kryze lineage. That said, I don't think that the lineage itself is that important because I consider that the most important thing is what it brings for the story that she would be a long lost princess.

I) Questions raised by the "Princessgate" regarding her abandonment on Jakku

Daisy saids that the reasons why she was cast will matter much in that story. So let's go back to several things we had pointed out together. We had pointed out that Rey couldn't Luke's daughter because Luke would never drop his daughter on such an awful planet under the care of a child abuser. The same applies for her parents IMO, especially if they were royals. If we consider that Rey was a princess, it means that she never experienced such hard living conditions before contrary to Luke or Anakin who were raised there from birth. No way a loving royal family would let their only heiress grow in that harsh environment if they wanted to protect her from a menace. Adam said that "she is hiding so she can survive" but Jakku is definitely not the kind of planet where a lonely child can survive easily. That makes me assume that whoever dropped her on Jakku didn't do it to protect her. So could have done that? I begin to suspect that she was abandoned there by a random.  
Interview Revelations:  "Hidden princess" and "the relationship between Rey and Kylo" and more golden quotes discussion - Page 10 Giphy11

I know it may sound crazy but let me explain why I would to that conclusion. I rule out the possibility that her royal parents dropped her there for the reasons that I pointed out above. That said we know that three major characters will play an important role in her character development:
- Luke        : Whatever we may think about her relationship with Luke, I don't think that LF would show Luke as an a** who dropped a poor little girl all alone on Jakku especially if the goal was to protect. That makes no sense knowing that Lor San Tekka and the Church of the Force were on the planet and yet didn't take care of the child. Plus Luke, may be an antagonist but I can't believe that he would become the big villain. If everything goes well, he, Ben and Rey will form a family in the end. No way that he sent that child to her own death.
- Ben         : That doesn't make sense for obvious reasons in regard to their upcoming relationship
- Snoke      : That doesn't make much sense either because if Snoke wanted Rey for her power he could have taken the child under his wing and if wanted to get rid of her, I guess he would have killed. That doesn't make sense in regard of the fact that she was hidden for her protection.

However, we know that Luke, Ben and Snoke are the key character in her development and so I guess that they indeed a key role in that puzzle.

II) Speculation: how could Snoke, Luke and Ben fit with Rey's past?

This is pure speculation. I don't take it as proofs that things will/should go that way

Back to the idea that Rey could be the long lost heiress of a royal family dropped by an unknown person in mysterious circumstances, what could have possibly happened?

1) How could Snoke fit with Rey's past  Question

Like I have written above, I rule out the possibility that Luke was behind her abandonment on Jakku and that Rey would resent him in TLJ for that. I remain convinced that the main arc of the ST is about the Skywalker family and not Rey's in a story that must tie the whole franchise alltogether. So the question is how does Rey's background would fit in all of this? IMO Snoke is the missing part of that puzzle because he has been targeting the Skywalker "heir" from the whomb but given his mysterious background it isn't impossible that he was a sworn ennemy of Rey's royal family too.

I have repeatedly suggested that Snoke and Rey weren't meant to become allies because IMO they are set up as bitter ennemies and so will they remain. I  have suggested that the real "love" triangle of the ST was actually Snoke/Kylo/Rey with Rey set as Snoke's rival. Thus, I don't believe in a scenario in which Snoke would let Kylo down to choose Rey instead because Kylo was set as Snke's great project and having Snoke replace him with Rey would be a bad rehash of ROTJ. So if we consider that Snoke and Rey are meant to be sworn ennemies, there may be more than their rivalry to gain Kylo's loyalty and heart. My feeling is that Snoke may not have dropped her on Jakku but it doesn't mean that he wasn't behind whatever happened to her family

So the question: what is the missing link between Snoke and Rey? There are various possibilities that could explain why Rey would have been forced to hide because of Snoke. IMO, either Snoke is a long lost relative of her family or he is a sworn ennemy of her family for an unknown reason
- 1st possibility: Rey is actually long lost related to Snoke. I have pointed out the possbility that The Castle in the Sky (and Atlantis - The Lost Empire, that got inspiration from this movie) may have been used as source of inspiration for the ST. In the Castle in the Sky, Lusheeta is a long lost Princess whose family left Laputa centuries ago to live on earth. She is chased by a young general who is interested in her necklace because it indicates the path to Laputa. As General Muska captures her and bring her to Laputa, Lusheeta discovers that Muska is actually a long lost relative because their family split in two branchs as they came on earth. Thus, Lusheeta and Muska are rival because they are both heirs of Laputa but with different views since Muska intends to use the power of the cristal to destroy the earth. Thus, Laputa becomes under his short reign a weapon of mass destruction reminiscent of the Death Star; And Lusheeta tells him something pretty interesting in regard to what we learn from Snoke in the TFA novel :

A king without compassion does not deserve a kingdom. No matter how many weapons you may have, no matter how great your technology might be, the world cannot live without love.

- 2nd possibility: Snoke is a sworn ennemy of her family for an unknown reason. After all, Georges Lucas's son once compared Rey to Anastasia who although she is no Disney Princess has a background that fits very well with the idea of a long lost Princess hidden so that she can survive.

-Other possibility Question

So whatever connection Rey has with Snoke, it is absolutely clear IMO that there is something that will set them up as bitter ennemies. I don't see anyone else being behind whatever happened to her parents. I.e. if D.J.or another secundary character  would be the big bad villain behind whatever happened to them, I don't see what it would bring to her character arc in regard to Snoke.

3) How could Luke  fit with Rey's past

I don't see why Luke would be set up as the person behind whatever happened to her parents because it doesn't fit well with the idea that "working together they could become whole again". In other words, the Skywalkers and the Kenobis ain't meat to be sworn enemies. That applies to her relationship with Ben but also to her relationship with Luke.

But does this mean that Luke never ever met Rey before she was dropped on Jakku and that he had no role to play in the events that led to her abandonmant  Question Personally, I doubt about it and here is why. Daisy said that "obviously, Luke doesn't know who she is" when she arrives on the island and in aother interview Mark said

"But does he not know her?"

We could interpret it as the fact that he actually knows her because she is a Kenobi  spawn but IMO Mark's comment rather suggest that Luke may have known Rey before her abandonment.

So we would have two families targeted by the same "phantom menace" and having two strong Force-sensitive children. I completely rule out the fact that Rey was Padawan at Luke's academy since she was dropped on Jakku much before Ben destroyed it. But does it mean that her royal family wouldn't have called Luke for protection because of that phantom menace around them? Let's keep in mind that the Jedi are supposed to be the Guardian of the Galaxy. Before TPM events, Obi-Wan was assigned for Duchess Satine's protection because of assassination attempst. in TMP, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan spent the whole movie protecting Queen Amidala. In AOTC, Anakin was assigned to protect Padme. I don't think it is impossible that Luke may have got the mission to protect Rey's family against a specific unknown menace and it didn't turn well in the end. Thus, he could have met Rey and seen that the child was indeed Force Sensitive before she the events happened.

3) How could Ben fit with Rey's past?

But @reylo1992, don't you remember that J.J. said Kylo and Rey never met?

Yes, I do. And I know that we - the Reylo community - have been using this quote as an argument to debunk the idea that Rey was no student in Luke's academy. I don't mean it is wrong but IMO this is no strong argument contrary to Bloodline that set up a clear timeline. The fact that J.J. Abrams said that Kylo never met Rey doesn't mean IMO that Ben never met. And I consider that this is big difference to make between Kylo and his true persona like Adam pointed out.

Why do I think that it is possible that Ben may have met Rey before she was dropped on Jakku? Because I don't buy the idea that these two would share such a strong mysterious connection out of nowhere.
1) Okay: if Rey is a Kenobi, they could share a Force bond although they never met  just because their grandfathers long time ago shared a Force bond
2) Okay: the Force could have made it so from their births because the Force wants them to team up and fall in love through that mysterious connection
But...
Interview Revelations:  "Hidden princess" and "the relationship between Rey and Kylo" and more golden quotes discussion - Page 10 Index16
Is it the Force Bond that provokes the emotional attachment or is it the emotional attachment that provokes the Force bond Question

I can't tell it for sure because I don't know how the Force works. But as much as I like the Reylo fanfiction about arranged marriage turning into love relationship through the Force Bond, IMO it isn't the Force bond that create the emotional attachment but the emotional attachment that create the Force bond. That may sound crazy but let's keep in mind that the new rules of the ST will be created within the context of Disney tradition, where love of all kind is at the center of everything. Of course, the Force could very well have made Rey and Kylo dreamed of each other although they never met.Of course, the Force could have awakened Rey's dormant abilities as a man she never never set a foot on her planet. But somehow something that Ben and Rey's relationship is very much like Anakin and Padme's relationship. Anakin didn't dream of Padme because he had a Force Bond with her prior to their meeting. He has been dreaming of her for ten years because he had an emotional attachment to her and this emotional attachment grew so strong that it led to this ROTS scene where you get the sense that the two of them can feel each other's feelings although Padme isn't supposed to be Force-Sensitive.

This is no proof in itself but I could completely imagine that t if Luke was called for help/protection by Rey's family, Ben could have met little Rey in this occasion. I could completely imagine 5 years old Rey in awe in front of 15 years old Ben like any little girl would because after all Ben takes a lot after his grandma's beauty doesn't he Wink  

Since both of them were Force sensitive, this first meeting could have created a Force Bond resulting from the "emotional attachment". That could maybe explain from who (little) Rey would have got her raw power? Obviously not from Obi-Wan. In ROTS novel, it is made pretty clear that the raw power is a Skywalker characteristic. And TV spot 2 made it pretty clear that Kylo is the raw power Luke is referring to. So if you want my opinion, it is maybe not necessary to search for the roots of her raw power in something very ancient related to the Force. Maybe that the very simple explanation is that little Rey was Force-sensitive like her Grandfather was  but got her raw power from her connection with Ben who clearly already had this raw strength before he was sent to Luke.

5) Speculation: What could have happened Question

Now that I have justified the hypothesis that Snoke, Luke and Ben could be part of the puzzle regarding Rey's past, here are my propositions.

Rey's royal family - let's suppose the Kryze family from Mandalore - call Luke as Master of the new Jedi Order for help to protect the family and investigate about a "phantom menace". Luke meets with them and is accompanied with Ben who was sent months or years ago sent away by his parents because of his raw power. Ben already struggles against darkness because of Snoke's hidden influence and his increasing difficulties to control his raw power. At some point, Ben meets Rey who displays (raw) Force-Sensitive Force Powers. Thus, the two of them share a common ground despite their age difference.

Meanwhile, Snoke - like Rasputine ploting against the Romanov - prepares an evil plan in the shadows against Rey's family whatever that plan is. We know that Snoke rose a phantom menace long before Rey's birth. He was already targeting Ben from the whomb one year after the fall of the Empire. And let's keep in mind that the First Order already kidnapped children before Rey's birth since Finn was taken away from his family as he was a baby. This is pretty interesting because in the end it would mean that Snoke's huge agenda affected Ben, Rey and Finn's family and thus that all three have a personal reason to fight against Snoke. So Snoke was laready preparing his evil plans long before Rey's birth and the question is: if Rey is from the royal family of Mandalire, how did whatever happen to her family fit in Snoke's huge agenda?

So Snoke could have prepared an evil plan and put it into action without coming out from the shadows. So the question is : what could have happened? Here is what we get about Rey's vision in the novelization:
Interview Revelations:  "Hidden princess" and "the relationship between Rey and Kylo" and more golden quotes discussion - Page 10 Tumblr26
So she hears deep in the forest the sound of war that involves a battle with lightsabers and blasters. I may interpret but I don't have the feeling that it refers to the destruction of the academy there. Why would blasters be involved in the destruction of the academy anyway? But this is definitely a war scene that involves Jedi and/against (?) random fighters. Then, she hears a familiar voice calling her sweetheart. @gwendy85 already made a meta in which she suggested that Ben is the owner of that voice. Since I agree with her analysis, I have nothing more to add to what she wrote. The only where I disagree is that IMO that line is ratherthe manifestation of the Force bond between Kylo and Rey during their years apart. My suggestion is that Kylo would have dreamed regularly of the little girl abandoned in the desert and would have answered to her scream "No! Come back!" with "I'll come back, sweetheart. I promise". If my suggestion that they could have met before her abandonment is right, that gives some sense to the fact that he indeed calls her sweetheart.

So maybe that something kinda similar to Anastasia's family happened to Rey's family with Snoke pulling the strings from the shadows., which could could explain the sounds of war she hears in the vision.

My feeling is that Luke and Ben could have tried to protect the royal family but something wouldn't have turned well for some reason. Given the role Dimitri played in Anastasia's escape, I wouldn't rule out the possibility that Ben could have some role to help her family but would have later lost their trace. That could very well explain his emotional reaction to the fact that she got his legacy lightsaber:

It is you, Ren murmured

And once again, I ask the question: did his legacy lightsaber went to Rey because they had the Force Bond or because he had a lon burried attachment to her Question IMO, this Anidala scene from the Clone Wars may provide an answer:

"To me, there is nothing more important than the way I feel about you! [...] I'll prove it [....] This weapon is my life and this is why I give it to you"

And then, what could have happened? I don't know how it could have turned but my feeling is that Luke made a mistake somewhere, that Rey was separated from her family and her family was killed. I wouldn't rule out the possibility that like Anastasia she was found by a random and that that random got rid on her either because she was made a slave and thus sold to Unkar Plutt or that random understood that the child could mean big problems. In any case, I would rule out the idea that he family, Snoke, Luke or Ben would have dropped her on Jakku for reasons that I explained above. Then the big mystery that remains is why did she lose her memory and why did her Force abilities were dormant. IMO, not impossible that Luke and/or Ben or whatever FS person erased her memory before but not necessarily in order to drop her. So I woud suggest that Rey's family was killed first, that Rey survived because she was separated from them, that someone locked her memories and Force abilities to prootect but for mysterious reasons hings didn't turn as it should and she ended up dropped like a garbage on Jakku. Don't think that Rey is aware that she's in danger and that she hides purposedly to survive because that would be really strange.

But the fact that she would a long lost Princess hidden so that she can survive gives me the feeling that:
- Snoke as the villain pulled the strings from the shadows, thus she has every reason to despise him
- Luke may havehad some responsibility because of some bad decision,thus she would have a reason to be angry
- Ben may have played a role at some point in her "escape", lost her but never forgot her , this she would have a reason to feel emotionally attached to him

So it's all speculation but this is what the idea of Rey as long lost princess inspires me. Still, I remain cautious until I get to read the full article.

Last edited by reylo1992 on Mon 30 Oct 2017, 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
reylo1992
reylo1992
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Mon 30 Oct 2017, 11:53 am

Alright, so Rey or Leia? REY OR LEIA!?

In favour of Princess Background Rey:
> Why did the writer of the article think Adam was referring to Rey?
> Why would Adam randomly bring up Leia in relation to hiding her identity? If it relates to Bloodline, cool, but the GA is ignorant to Bloodline.
> Seems like a big step from Kylo to Leia. Kylo to Rey is less of a leap because he would simply be comparing the two characters we're obviously supposed to be comparing. We've never been asked to compare Kylo and Leia before.
> Leia feels so... random? In this context? Am I the only one thinking this??
> Implies that Rey knows her background and has been hiding it in order to survive on Jakku until her family comes back to rescue her, which, fair enough. TFA never said she didn't know her origins.
> LucasFilm gave Adam the GO to reveal something, finally, in order to generate interest about Rey's real background?
> No debunk of the article? No snarky Tweets? No clarifications? HELLO?

In favour of Princess Leia:
> Everybody knows Leia was a princess.
> Argument can be made that Adam is referencing Leia's plotline from Bloodline which she denies her connection to Darth Vader
> Or maybe that she denies her history as a princess and a mother in order to combat her fallen son in TLJ?

What do you guys think? The more I go over it in my mind more I lean toward Rey. I think we just need the full quotes.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen Mon 30 Oct 2017, 11:56 am

@SkyStar

My point exactly. The GA will not care that much anyway. Now if we go with LF issues official spoilers through magazines like GQ, my mind goes even more like WTF. I am trying to picture how AD was coached to include the word “princess” and the magazine was told to include that part as spoilery and LF is measuring the impact of it on Internet rubbing their hands together. If we want to make the scenario complete, I’d say that Pablo is in on it too “Pretend you don’t want to talk about it, they will all see it as a sign of confirmation that the spoiler is true.” Honestly, with 6 weeks to go, I’d say LF should trust their product and go with the flow of how successful their trailer is. Including pseudo-spoilers in magazines sounds like an “ouch” strategy. Imagine, the article does really mentions Rey as a princess and she’s not or only metaphorically. It will be too late for damage control when the fans get the answer in the movie. How far is too far in trying to create the hype? Anyways, my view only.
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Mon 30 Oct 2017, 11:57 am

@reylo1992

Excellent commentary..

To me, there is nothing more important than the way I feel about you! [...] I'll prove it [....] This weapon is my life and this is why I give it to you"

Obi Wan to Anakin, " this weapon is your life "

Interview Revelations:  "Hidden princess" and "the relationship between Rey and Kylo" and more golden quotes discussion - Page 10 Vgxdfbg-e1459267147742

The purpose of Rey receiving the lightsaber is to give it to Luke... Ultimately this connection is between father and son

Interview Revelations:  "Hidden princess" and "the relationship between Rey and Kylo" and more golden quotes discussion - Page 10 Latest?cb=20160215152959

spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Forsythia Mon 30 Oct 2017, 11:58 am

If Rey really is a princess I think it's weird that this is now coming out of nowhere shortly before the film is released. If we are supposed to wonder about Rey's origins before we see the film, why didn't they just hint at it in the trailer?
Forsythia
Forsythia
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 14 ... 19  Next