Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interview Revelations: "Hidden princess" and "the relationship between Rey and Kylo" and more golden quotes discussion

+58
MoonFyre
Saracene
Darth Dementor
IoJovi
LesCousinsDangereux
rey09
Moonjump05
CienaRee
SkyStar
Reylo Lemon
SanghaRen
nite0wl29
Kylo Rey
Blood Moon
RosiePancake
panki
Mana
vaderito
EchoBase
Kyla Ren
Maria26
Anakin Skywalker
C.V
Darth_Awakened
Man Without A Star
Darth Dingbat
Night Huntress
Gemini
Lily Snape
Kylo Men
adamdrivershair
Irina de France
Lovely_Rose
ReyofLightSide
Helix
ZioRen
bashfulblueeyes3
Forsythia
reylo1992
Tex
snufkin
Rei of Sunshine
SheLitAFire
Cowgirlsamurai
AceofWands
BenRey
SoloSideCousin
DeeBee
shii405
Piper Maru
spacebaby45678
Kessel
FrolickingFizzgig
PalmettoBlue
Darth Rowan
Moonlight13
DarthRen
MrsWindu
62 posters

Page 11 of 19 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 19  Next

Go down

Interview Revelations:  "Hidden princess" and "the relationship between Rey and Kylo" and more golden quotes discussion - Page 11 Empty Re: Interview Revelations: "Hidden princess" and "the relationship between Rey and Kylo" and more golden quotes discussion

Post by Darth Dingbat Mon 30 Oct 2017, 11:58 am

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:Alright, so Rey or Leia? REY OR LEIA!?

In favour of Princess Background Rey:
> Why did the writer of the article think Adam was referring to Rey?
> Why would Adam randomly bring up Leia in relation to hiding her identity? If it relates to Bloodline, cool, but the GA is ignorant to Bloodline.
> Seems like a big step from Kylo to Leia. Kylo to Rey is less of a leap because he would simply be comparing the two characters we're obviously supposed to be comparing. We've never been asked to compare Kylo and Leia before.
> Leia feels so... random? In this context? Am I the only one thinking this??
> Implies that Rey knows her background and has been hiding it in order to survive on Jakku until her family comes back to rescue her, which, fair enough. TFA never said she didn't know her origins.
> LucasFilm gave Adam the GO to reveal something, finally, in order to generate interest about Rey's real background?
> No debunk of the article? No snarky Tweets? No clarifications? HELLO?

In favour of Princess Leia:
> Everybody knows Leia was a princess.
> Argument can be made that Adam is referencing Leia's plotline from Bloodline which she denies her connection to Darth Vader
> Or maybe that she denies her history as a princess and a mother in order to combat her fallen son in TLJ?

What do you guys think? The more I go over it in my mind more I lean toward Rey. I think we just need the full quotes.
@FrolickingFizzgig

Re: the bolded - it feels especially random because he's talking about coming of age in the directly preceding quote. So is this trilogy going to be about Leia's coming-of-age at last? Inquiring minds want to know.

And somehow, he makes it sound like the trilogy is about Kylo and Leia. With all the recent emphasis on Rey and Kylo being the two halves of something, wouldn't it make sense for Rey to be other one he's comparing Kylo to?
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Interview Revelations:  "Hidden princess" and "the relationship between Rey and Kylo" and more golden quotes discussion - Page 11 Empty Re: Interview Revelations: "Hidden princess" and "the relationship between Rey and Kylo" and more golden quotes discussion

Post by Rei of Sunshine Mon 30 Oct 2017, 11:59 am

AceofWands wrote:Count me in for those who think it's a cool strategy.

And yeah, on the cover, totally not planned. I'm also assuming PH was previously warned not to get involved. Not planned at all. Razz Very Happy
I agree with @vaderito and @darth dingbat. It's not a slip

@ShangaRen I understand your "let the movie speak for itself", but how has it been working so far? People watch the end of TFA and think it's a father/daughter reunion!

They've been dropping hints and hints against Reywalker, and nothing works. Finally, it's much more interesting to make people speculate to who she is, than just be disappointed as to who she isn't. And it isn't a spoiler. We don't know anything about who she is or why she was abandoned. It doesn't reveal plot.

@AceofWands

It's all being pulled by strings.

And right now LFL and Disney are throwing hints at our faces like snowballs, and driving us to either see the right way, or ask the right questions.

It's not really always about having all audiences like what happens in the movie, but first they need to keep talking about it.

All these little knick knacks keeps conversation going, and there is not stronger marketing platform than word of mouth and social media.
Rei of Sunshine
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen Mon 30 Oct 2017, 12:00 pm

I don't think Leia is random because her hiding her identity as Vader's daughter seems to have factored into Ben's fall. And if that's the case, considering most people had no clue Bloodline existed, that plot line will have to be touched upon or possibly even emphasized in TLJ. In my mind, Adam could easily be referring to that. The whole fiasco may even come up again through Holdo and Leia's position as the Resistance leader possibly being questioned. If some theories/rumors floating around are correct.

I just can't see Adam casually dropping a spoiler like that. And I don't picture LF telling him to be sure to mention that Rey is a princess. Plus I just don't see the description of hiding behind an artifice as fitting Rey from what I know of her so far.

I could be wrong, though. Despite my stubbornness on this, I actually hope I am! If it's about Rey, I have something juicy to think about as I wait for the movie to finally come out.
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Mon 30 Oct 2017, 12:03 pm

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:Alright, so Rey or Leia? REY OR LEIA!?

In favour of Princess Background Rey:
> Why did the writer of the article think Adam was referring to Rey?
> Why would Adam randomly bring up Leia in relation to hiding her identity? If it relates to Bloodline, cool, but the GA is ignorant to Bloodline.
> Seems like a big step from Kylo to Leia. Kylo to Rey is less of a leap because he would simply be comparing the two characters we're obviously supposed to be comparing. We've never been asked to compare Kylo and Leia before.
> Leia feels so... random? In this context? Am I the only one thinking this??
> Implies that Rey knows her background and has been hiding it in order to survive on Jakku until her family comes back to rescue her, which, fair enough. TFA never said she didn't know her origins.
> LucasFilm gave Adam the GO to reveal something, finally, in order to generate interest about Rey's real background?
> No debunk of the article? No snarky Tweets? No clarifications? HELLO?

In favour of Princess Leia:
> Everybody knows Leia was a princess.
> Argument can be made that Adam is referencing Leia's plotline from Bloodline which she denies her connection to Darth Vader
> Or maybe that she denies her history as a princess and a mother in order to combat her fallen son in TLJ?

What do you guys think? The more I go over it in my mind more I lean toward Rey. I think we just need the full quotes.
@FrolickingFizzgig

Rey, duh! This phase of TLJ marketing is all about Rey and Kylo. Daisy talks about them. Rian talks about them. trailer and spot 2 are all about them. of course that Adam's gonna talk about them too.

OTOH, the only thing that Leia may be hiding is that Kylo is her son aka her identity as Kylo's mother. Otherwise, everyone knows she's Vader's daughter cause it made headlines across the GFFA. Even if you don't know Bloodline, Leia hiding that she's the Mother of the Dragon would fall into "princess hiding her identity".

So take your pick. Is it more Rey/Kylo two sides of the same protagonist talk or is it a reference to Leia hiding her identity as Kylo's mom that somehow was mistaken for Rey's origins?

In short, Rey is more logical at this point. And yes, this is endorsed by LF af so it gotta be Rey.

Last edited by vaderito on Mon 30 Oct 2017, 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AceofWands Mon 30 Oct 2017, 12:03 pm

Another point against it being Leia is that her role won't be that big in this movie. And her character arc will be related to her son and the resistance, not to her identity.
AceofWands
AceofWands
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru Mon 30 Oct 2017, 12:05 pm

Honestly, does it really matter if it's about Leia or Rey?

In terms of Reylo, it's inconsequential. And we all know she is not a Skywalker or a Solo, so...
Piper Maru
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Mon 30 Oct 2017, 12:06 pm

AceofWands wrote:Another point against it being Leia is that her role won't be that big in this movie. And her character arc will be related to her son and the resistance, not to her identity.
@AceofWands

identity as a mother of the villain. You can make a case that's what she's hiding. Pablo said that Kylo's identity wasn't a public knowledge, unlike Leia being Vader's daughter (huge scandal).

@Piper Maru Exactly. It's inconsequential to us. princess Rey in no way supports Reywalker or Soloist cause she is still hiding her identity. Wouldn't she happily reveal herself to her family members? Eh?

Last edited by vaderito on Mon 30 Oct 2017, 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by bashfulblueeyes3 Mon 30 Oct 2017, 12:07 pm

I just thought of a real radical idea. What if Obi Wan fell in love and had a child on Tattooine, while looking after Luke? He had to send the child away to protect her and the mother from Vader and the emperor. That child grows up and has a child (Rey). Obi-Wan has a force vision about Rey and leaves Luke something that lets him know someday this grandchild might come looking for him? I keep thinking of Mark Hamill saying, "but does he know her?" I know someone mentioned it above. We know Luke went looking for information about the Jedi after RoTJ. I could see him going back to Obi-Wan's old place and looking through his old chest. Also, in one of the novels Rey talks about a voice that was there with her while she was trying to sleep at night. Sometimes it would go away for a while, but then come back. I don't remember which novel it was. I always intrigued by the fact that Obi-Wan was the only person in TFA who seemed to know Rey. The Obi-Wan movie could feature part of the Rey's lineage. Just a wild theory.

bashfulblueeyes3
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen Mon 30 Oct 2017, 12:09 pm

In the Legends Universe. Didn't Jacen Solo had a son or daughter with secret princess of some system far, far away. She was a student of Luke along with Jacen and Jaina and their good friend? Ben is quite frankly borrows a lot from Jacen Solo's story, even if they PH tried to disprove it.
DarthRen
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Cowgirlsamurai Mon 30 Oct 2017, 12:10 pm

None of this says "princess hiding her identity to survive" to me. It sounds like Rey doesn't know anything about her past and that she'll find out in TLJ.

"To me, it’s important insofar as it’s important to her,” Johnson says. “And I think it’s important to her in terms of what is her place in all of this? What’s going to define her in this story? She was told in the last movie that the answer’s not in the past; it’s looking forward. But she’s showing up on this island to talk to this hero from the past.”

Ridley says Rey will ultimately find the answer — and discover that it doesn’t matter that much. It won’t change who she is, or at least who she wants to be

“You can always look for answers and that doesn’t mean that the rest of your life is so easy. It’s not like, oh, I know who my parents are so now everything falls into shape, especially in the Star Wars world,” the actress says.

Still, Ridley agrees that Rey needs to find out about her lineage, at least so she can stop wondering.
“Yes, it would potentially change her mind, or at least give her a little bit more peace in moving forward. But ultimately what’s coming is coming, and whatever abilities she has are there. So, personally, I think it’s less important than even she may think.”

Cowgirlsamurai
Cowgirlsamurai
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AceofWands Mon 30 Oct 2017, 12:10 pm

vaderito wrote:
AceofWands wrote:Another point against it being Leia is that her role won't be that big in this movie. And her character arc will be related to her son and the resistance, not to her identity.
@AceofWands

identity as a mother of the villain. You can make a case that's what she's hiding. Pablo said that Kylo's identity wasn't a public knowledge, unlike Leia being Vader's daughter (huge scandal).

@Piper Maru Exactly. It's inconsequential to us. princess Rey in no way supports Reywalker or Soloist cause she is still hiding her identity. Wouldn't she happily reveal herself to her family members? Eh?
@vaderito

I can see how Leia would be hiding who her son is, but it's different from hiding who she is. But I agree it's a possible interpretation, but it feels stretched. Possible, but a bit stretched, like all possibilities of it being about Leia.
AceofWands
AceofWands
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Mon 30 Oct 2017, 12:12 pm

@FrolickingFizzgig - I will concede after some of the comments here that it could be referring to Leia. At least in the scare quotes, he talks strictly about Kylo's relationship to Rey (which lines up with the EW quote about how Rey doesn't understand him) but we know vis Bloodline that there's a whole backstory in play with how Leia trying to deny the truth of her paternity blew up her relationship with her son. And the outright references in those quotes are him talking about Carrie Fisher, his space mom. So it could be both Rey and Leia the way The Last Jedi may or may not be plural depending on what day of the week it is.

That said, keeping hidden in order to survive *is* Rey, who regardless of being a scavenger is a natural born type of aristocracy in terms of character and being a Force Power prodigy who's channeling an ancient and raw source of power. I've thought simply her family has some connection to the origins of the FO/Snoke's end game story, which could or could not mean descendant of another franchise character. The main question though is that we know LF is going to mine the Hell out of her backstory for the comics and books. They did that for Jyn, they're doing that for Leia, and they'll do that for Rey's family. Given that business model, who are future readers going to be learning about in these publications. There are a lot of fun theories which line up her background with previous trilogies or books/comics. But whatever has to happen, that's got to be something worth reading. And people have to feel some type of investment because just given the basics of what we know, it's to be an even more sh*tty scenario than what went down with Jyn's family.  Business model aside, it's the first conclusion I came to after seeing TFA because it ties her in further with the Force plot side of things (e.g. what @Piper Maru said about how it explains what happened to her, to Ben, and to Luke) and gives further motivation to the most likely character arc that Ben/Kylo will finally heed Han's warning and establish further sympathy/bonding in how he feels about Rey.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat Mon 30 Oct 2017, 12:14 pm

vaderito wrote:
@AceofWands

@vaderito

But, again, if the two quotes go together (and it does sound like they do, because they seem to be referencing the same topic), Adam is talking about JJ's ideas and how Rian built on them. TFA was in no way about Leia hiding her identity.

On the other hand, there is a young woman in TFA with a hidden identity, coming of age, trying to survive...

But, once again, I don't know how badly that was edited. I'm just assuming the journalist has a reason for assuming it's about Rey, but after VFgate, who knows.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Mon 30 Oct 2017, 12:14 pm

Forsythia wrote:If Rey really is a princess I think it's weird that this is now coming out of nowhere shortly before the film is released. If we are supposed to wonder about Rey's origins before we see the film, why didn't they just hint at it in the trailer?
@Forsythia

Good question.
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee Mon 30 Oct 2017, 12:16 pm

Cowgirlsamurai wrote:None of this says "princess hiding her identity to survive" to me. It sounds like Rey doesn't know anything about her past and that she'll find out in TLJ.

"To me, it’s important insofar as it’s important to her,” Johnson says. “And I think it’s important to her in terms of what is her place in all of this? What’s going to define her in this story? She was told in the last movie that the answer’s not in the past; it’s looking forward. But she’s showing up on this island to talk to this hero from the past.”

Ridley says Rey will ultimately find the answer — and discover that it doesn’t matter that much. It won’t change who she is, or at least who she wants to be

“You can always look for answers and that doesn’t mean that the rest of your life is so easy. It’s not like, oh, I know who my parents are so now everything falls into shape, especially in the Star Wars world,” the actress says.

Still, Ridley agrees that Rey needs to find out about her lineage, at least so she can stop wondering.
“Yes, it would potentially change her mind, or at least give her a little bit more peace in moving forward. But ultimately what’s coming is coming, and whatever abilities she has are there. So, personally, I think it’s less important than even she may think.”

@Cowgirlsamurai

Pablo has mentioned before that Rey would know who her parents are if she remembers them AND that her memories aren't reliable so that tells me if she knows she's a princess she might have suppressed that part of her identity in order to survive on Jakku.
It just doesn't make sense to me that for fifteen years she would wait for parents she doesn't even know how they look like?And other canon materials have made it clear that Rey doesn't trust peope easily so I don't see her believing just anybody who tells her they're her parents.

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Mon 30 Oct 2017, 12:17 pm

Darth Dingbat wrote:
vaderito wrote:
@AceofWands

@vaderito

But, again, if the two quotes go together (and it does sound like they do, because they seem to be referencing the same topic), Adam is talking about JJ's ideas and how Rian built on them. TFA was in no way about Leia hiding her identity.

On the other hand, there is a young woman in TFA with a hidden identity, coming of age, trying to survive...

But, once again, I don't know how badly that was edited. I'm just assuming the journalist has a reason for assuming it's about Rey, but after VFgate, who knows.
@Darth Dingbat

I don't believe he was referring to Leia. Just saying that if one wants to go the Leia is hiding her ID route, only the mother of Kylo is an option cause everything else is not a secret in-universe.

But anyway, what everyone thinks of Daisy's quote about parentage reveal? What does "unpredictable" mean and could a predictable thing (such as Reywalker) be revealed in unpredictable way that makes it unpredictable?

vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen Mon 30 Oct 2017, 12:20 pm

Piper Maru wrote:Honestly, does it really matter if it's about Leia or Rey?

In terms of Reylo, it's inconsequential. And we all know she is not a Skywalker or a Solo, so...
@Piper Maru

If we wanna be fair. Don't want to defend them, but this piece about a princess doesn't exclude Reywalker theory per se. Padme [Queen of Naboo], Luke and Leia all royalty in a way. There are other elements that ruled this out.
DarthRen
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Mon 30 Oct 2017, 12:24 pm

snufkin wrote:@FrolickingFizzgig - I will concede after some of the comments here that it could be referring to Leia. At least in the scare quotes, he talks strictly about Kylo's relationship to Rey (which lines up with the EW quote about how Rey doesn't understand him) but we know vis Bloodline that there's a whole backstory in play with how Leia trying to deny the truth of her paternity blew up her relationship with her son. And the outright references in those quotes are him talking about Carrie Fisher, his space mom. So it could be both Rey and Leia the way The Last Jedi may or may not be plural depending on what day of the week it is.

That said, keeping hidden in order to survive *is* Rey, who regardless of being a scavenger is a natural born type of aristocracy in terms of character and being a Force Power prodigy who's channeling an ancient and raw source of power. I've thought simply her family has some connection to the origins of the FO/Snoke's end game story, which could or could not mean descendant of another franchise character. The main question though is that we know LF is going to mine the Hell out of her backstory for the comics and books. They did that for Jyn, they're doing that for Leia, and they'll do that for Rey's family. Given that business model, who are future readers going to be learning about in these publications. There are a lot of fun theories which line up her background with previous trilogies or books/comics. But whatever has to happen, that's got to be something worth reading. And people have to feel some type of investment because just given the basics of what we know, it's to be an even more sh*tty scenario than what went down with Jyn's family.  Business model aside, it's the first conclusion I came to after seeing TFA because it ties her in further with the Force plot side of things (e.g. what @Piper Maru said about how it explains what happened to her, to Ben, and to Luke) and gives further motivation to the most likely character arc that Ben/Kylo will finally heed Han's warning and establish further sympathy/bonding in how he feels about Rey.
@snufkin
I can see the Bloodline explanation, but I'm having trouble with it. Say they go through it again in TLJ, what does that add to the story? Kylo's reaction to the reveal, sure, but that wasn't already detailed in Bloodline. We got the build-up and Leia's fallout, but we've long-since expected that the revelation would be part of Ben's backstory in the films. What does dredging through a story that has already been told add to the current narrative, even Leia's current narrative, when we know she won't have a huge role in this film (compared to, say, Luke)? Something here isn't adding up. If we discount the Bloodline connection and assume it has more to do with Leia's story in this film having to do with concealing her identity as Kylo's mother, maybe? But even then... sometime isn't fitting.

Why would Adam start talking about coming-of-age and hiding behind a persona only to flip the discussion around to Leia, and somehow not make it obvious he was referring to Leia? It's all still part of the same conversation. Adam not being allowed to reveal things in interviews aside because that's not an argument for me right now (for all we know he was given permission), why would he go from talking about coming-of-age, concealing identities, etc. and then flip to Leia?
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat Mon 30 Oct 2017, 12:26 pm

DarthRen wrote:

@Piper Maru

If we wanna be fair. Don't want to defend them, but this piece about a princess doesn't exclude Reywalker theory per se. Padme [Queen of Naboo], Luke and Leia all royalty in a way. There are other elements that ruled this out.
@DarthRen

Well, it would rule out Luke because Padmé's title wasn't hereditary, and Luke bears no titles himself. Unless Luke had an affair with a Queen Razz

It doesn't rule out Rey Solo because Alderaan was matrilineal and Leia's titles are from the Organas, not her biological mother.

But let's face it, everything else in this world and the next rules out Rey Solo.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Forsythia Mon 30 Oct 2017, 12:33 pm

I've just read a few comments by non-Reylos about the interview and there were people who thought it confirms that Rey and Kylo are twins Suspect
Forsythia
Forsythia
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine Mon 30 Oct 2017, 12:34 pm

This is what LFL wants

To get us talking about whether it's Rey or Leia. Or Kenobi, Palpatine or Prana. Princess or no Princess. Inconsequential or not. Reylo or no Reylo.

I'm not gonna stop all this fun speculation, but just be careful guys! This is Disney's version of the Sarlacc Pit!
Rei of Sunshine
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Mon 30 Oct 2017, 12:41 pm

Rei of Sunshine wrote:This is what LFL wants

To get us talking about whether it's Rey or Leia. Or Kenobi, Palpatine or Prana. Princess or no Princess. Inconsequential or not. Reylo or no Reylo.

I'm not gonna stop all this fun speculation, but just be careful guys! This is Disney's version of the Sarlacc Pit!
@Rei of Sunshine
I'm kinda hesitant to agree with this. I don't believe there's as much coordination in terms of editing and fact-checking as we would like in interviews. More likely this is a slip-up of some kind. Maybe the interviewer just went too far in assuming Adam was referring to Rey. We'll see on Thursday when the interview is released. Smile
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen Mon 30 Oct 2017, 12:41 pm

Darth Dingbat wrote:
DarthRen wrote:

@Piper Maru

@DarthRen

Well, it would rule out Luke because Padmé's title wasn't hereditary, and Luke bears no titles himself. Unless Luke had an affair with a Queen Razz

It doesn't rule out Rey Solo because Alderaan was matrilineal and Leia's titles are from the Organas, not her biological mother.

But let's face it, everything else in this world and the next rules out Rey Solo.
@Darth Dingbat

I tought Padme's title was hereditary, but thanks for clarification.

Solo is out of question. Luke and affair, our favourite hermit probably not.

DarthRen
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Mon 30 Oct 2017, 12:42 pm

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
snufkin wrote:@FrolickingFizzgig - I will concede after some of the comments here that it could be referring to Leia. At least in the scare quotes, he talks strictly about Kylo's relationship to Rey (which lines up with the EW quote about how Rey doesn't understand him) but we know vis Bloodline that there's a whole backstory in play with how Leia trying to deny the truth of her paternity blew up her relationship with her son. And the outright references in those quotes are him talking about Carrie Fisher, his space mom. So it could be both Rey and Leia the way The Last Jedi may or may not be plural depending on what day of the week it is.

@snufkin
I can see the Bloodline explanation, but I'm having trouble with it. Say they go through it again in TLJ, what does that add to the story? Kylo's reaction to the reveal, sure, but that wasn't already detailed in Bloodline. We got the build-up and Leia's fallout, but we've long-since expected that the revelation would be part of Ben's backstory in the films. What does dredging through a story that has already been told add to the current narrative, even Leia's current narrative, when we know she won't have a huge role in this film (compared to, say, Luke)? Something here isn't adding up. If we discount the Bloodline connection and assume it has more to do with Leia's story in this film having to do with concealing her identity as Kylo's mother, maybe? But even then... sometime isn't fitting.

Why would Adam start talking about coming-of-age and hiding behind a persona only to flip the discussion around to Leia, and somehow not make it obvious he was referring to Leia? It's all still part of the same conversation. Adam not being allowed to reveal things in interviews aside because that's not an argument for me right now (for all we know he was given permission), why would he go from talking about coming-of-age, concealing identities, etc. and then flip to Leia?
@FrolickingFizzgig

Oh I agree that the quotes, which is using the same type of Fairy Tale terminology as JJ's Blue Ray commentary track, was both LF cleared and specifically meant to be about Rey. They're finally going to talk about those two characters and their relationship (and hat tip to the person who just registered with the Arrested Development cousins movie as their user name). Just that there's enough ambiguity in the moment over the term princess that we can easily tie ourselves in knots over who that term is referring to, same way is the Last Jedi singular or plural? And the ST is opened with crawl text and dialogue which centers around Leia, "to me she's royalty." "Well, that she is." But in the end, the interview comment is about Rey, but I don't take it to mean a huge spoiler got dropped about her geneology. Just that's the position she holds in terms of being special in that story and world by dint of her character/talents. And like I said before, there are "too much of his father" references in TFA for Ben and we all know how his father was when it came to princesses, right?

As for Obi-Wan, there's definitely an interesting pattern of specific cinematic references to him in Rey's escape and flight from SKB. But beyond that, I'm keeping an open mind because maybe JJ just thought it would be cool. Or to establish the antagonists and maybe eventual allies relationship between the two characters. But I'm not holding my breath for a big DNA test reveal unless it's like the throw away gag at the end of Raiders where you see the Ark rolled into a warehouse. Or the supposed Ewan McGregor/Michael Cunninham movie is about how Obi-Wan had to go to a sperm bank on Tatooine to make donations whenever he was too broke to eat. He could be like Mark Ruffalo's character in The Kids Are Alright!
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Mon 30 Oct 2017, 12:52 pm

snufkin wrote:
FrolickingFizzgig wrote:

@snufkin

@FrolickingFizzgig

Oh I agree that the quotes, which is using the same type of Fairy Tale terminology as JJ's Blue Ray commentary track, was both LF cleared and specifically meant to be about Rey. They're finally going to talk about those two characters and their relationship (and hat tip to the person who just registered with the Arrested Development cousins movie as their user name). Just that there's enough ambiguity in the moment over the term princess that we can easily tie ourselves in knots over who that term is referring to, same way is the Last Jedi singular or plural? And the ST is opened with crawl text and dialogue which centers around Leia, "to me she's royalty." "Well, that she is." But in the end, the interview comment is about Rey, but I don't take it to mean a huge spoiler got dropped about her geneology. Just that's the position she holds in terms of being special in that story and world by dint of her character/talents. And like I said before, there are "too much of his father" references in TFA for Ben and we all know how his father was when it came to princesses, right?

As for Obi-Wan, there's definitely an interesting pattern of specific cinematic references to him in Rey's escape and flight from SKB. But beyond that, I'm keeping an open mind because maybe JJ just thought it would be cool. Or to establish the antagonists and maybe eventual allies relationship between the two characters. But I'm not holding my breath for a big DNA test reveal unless it's like the throw away gag at the end of Raiders where you see the Ark rolled into a warehouse. Or the supposed Ewan McGregor/Michael Cunninham movie is about how Obi-Wan had to go to a sperm bank on Tatooine to make donations whenever he was too broke to eat. He could be like Mark Ruffalo's character in The Kids Are Alright!
@snufkin

Who is Michael Cunninham? Campea was dropping that Filoni is being looked at to direct the Obi Wan stand alone...
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 19 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15 ... 19  Next