Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Jedi: Our Reviews and Reactions

+99
colibri
Jozie
Miyu
BenRey
Man Without A Star
Kylo Men
reylodownlo
teltaru
Aphelionna
rey09
Sforza
Jakku
KnightsofReylo_2015
ISeeAnIsland
BigDeal2187
PalmettoBlue
lauvamp
grimbergen
guardienne
SheLitAFire
Lucina
Irina de France
Acritiqua
Darth Dementor
snufkin
LesCousinsDangereux
LadyHa
Reynak
SoloSideCousin
IoJovi
fuhry
DarthRen
Mana
Xylo Ren
Kessel
jakkusun
Tex
tukicarreno
thescavenger
Krafty
Anakin Skywalker
Little_Boots
Moonlight13
shii405
MyOnlyHope
madeinmn
Maria26
SanghaRen
AnneNeville
Forsythia
ReyofLightSide
Birdwoman
MeadowofAshes
CienaRee
nite0wl29
Wizzia
nonesuch
Atenais
Gemini
Saracene
Gemlake
Piper Maru
Airemyn
MrsWindu
Teo oswald
Armadeus
Rimfaxe96
AhsokaTano
SkyStar
panki
Reylo Lemon
DeeBee
Night Huntress
unicorn
Moonjump05
bashfulblueeyes3
EchoBase
Darth_Awakened
Geralt_Riv
rawpowah
cherrylipstick
Blood Moon
Meomeo
FrolickingFizzgig
Rei of Sunshine
ZioRen
motherofpearl1
Cowgirlsamurai
Yuugi
Ynqve
vaderito
special_cases
RosiePancake
Darth_marshmallow
Helix
reylo1992
Darth Dingbat
liveinsummee
Darth Rowan
103 posters

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Last Jedi: Our Reviews and Reactions - Page 22 Empty Re: The Last Jedi: Our Reviews and Reactions

Post by Darth Dingbat Fri 15 Dec 2017, 3:09 pm

I'm calling it now, FS Broom Boy is the star of a future Middle Grade novel.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

The Last Jedi: Our Reviews and Reactions - Page 22 Empty Re: The Last Jedi: Our Reviews and Reactions

Post by Rei of Sunshine Fri 15 Dec 2017, 3:15 pm

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/star-wars/269668/star-wars-the-last-jedi-what-exactly-is-the-rey-kylo-ren-relationship

Great article. Must read guys. It helped clarify my understanding of what was shown about the Force and what it means to Kylo and Rey.

I love how the writer doubles down on the fact that Rey and Ben are undeniable drawn to each other. They didn't imply it as a romantic attraction, but a spiritual connection instead.

That Rey was basically the Force's answer to Anakin's (Dark) legacy.

They go on about needing the Skywalker legacy to end, meaning that Kylo has to die by Rey's blade. But to keep up the balance of the Force, it also means Rey has to die by him as well.

Now if that"s not awfully tragically romantic, then I don't know what. But seeing as this is Disney, they might find a way around both of them needing to die. I think it would be having to give up the Force for good.

I love how this article acknowledges that Rey and Ben are peacefully in balance when they work together (Praet fight and Skype sessions) yet they just can't fullt agree since that is their nature as Dark and Light and must always be against each other.

Rei of Sunshine
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ReyofLightSide Fri 15 Dec 2017, 3:20 pm

@Sforza , was the Broom Boy at the end the one you saw, since he had a weird hat, or was there an older boy?
ReyofLightSide
ReyofLightSide
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Fri 15 Dec 2017, 3:24 pm

Just got back from my second viewing, and let me tell you guys, I feel better the second time around. There’s so much foreshadowing to them in the middle of the movie during the height of the Reylo scenes. Yes I expected their relation to work in the opposite direction of how it actually went, as I’m sure all of us did, but I’m still alright, judging by what I picked up on the second time around.

Rey and Ben telling each other’s futures is probably the biggest clue. Rey tells Luke that Ben Solo is the galaxy’s only hope would have to be true if he’s the only descendant of the Skywalkers, given they’re the main family. Ben tells Rey he sees her by his side in the end. Yes in that same sentence, he says she goes dark, and I’m wondering if they’re going to switch and ultimately save each other from darkness until they meet in the middle.

Heck, had even ONE of them met each other half way instead of tearing the legacy saver on two, the battle of Crait never would have happened.
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ReyofLightSide Fri 15 Dec 2017, 3:27 pm

IoJovi wrote:Just got back from my second viewing, and let me tell you guys, I feel better the second time around.  There’s so much foreshadowing to them in the middle of the movie during the height of the Reylo scenes.  Yes I expected their relation to work in the opposite direction of how it actually went, as I’m sure all of us did, but I’m still alright, judging by what I picked up on the second time around.

Rey and Ben telling each other’s futures is probably the biggest clue.  Rey tells Luke that Ben Solo is the galaxy’s only hope would have to be true if he’s the only descendant of the Skywalkers, given they’re the main family.  Ben tells Rey he sees her by his side in the end.  Yes in that same sentence, he says she goes dark, and I’m wondering if they’re going to switch and ultimately save each other from darkness until they meet in the middle.

Heck, had even ONE of them met each other half way instead of tearing the legacy saver on two, the battle of Crait never would have happened.
@IoJovi

Totally agree! I have seen it twice and will sit with it a bit before seeing again. How was it going in not spoiled?  I was totally spoiled but don't know if that was better? I did freak TF out over the clips.

Maybe we got the movie we needed rather than the one we wanted to all happen exactly as we wanted it.
ReyofLightSide
ReyofLightSide
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Fri 15 Dec 2017, 3:29 pm

ReyofLightSide wrote:@Sforza , was the Broom Boy at the end the one you saw, since he had a weird hat, or was there an older boy?
@ReyofLightSide

it must be BroomBoi cause the scene plays exactly like she said, he looks up at the stars, has a hat.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ReyofLightSide Fri 15 Dec 2017, 3:30 pm

vaderito wrote:
ReyofLightSide wrote:@Sforza , was the Broom Boy at the end the one you saw, since he had a weird hat, or was there an older boy?
@ReyofLightSide

it must be BroomBoi cause the scene plays exactly like she said, he looks up at the stars, has a hat.
@vaderito

That's what I was thinking. It was like she described and was filmed there. I didn't get the Rey has conflicted feelings direction from Rian but maybe he was talking about something else.

@Sforza, you were the first to confirm not only FinnRose but early Reylo by overhearing Rian's line about Rey  Razz

Last edited by ReyofLightSide on Fri 15 Dec 2017, 3:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
ReyofLightSide
ReyofLightSide
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine Fri 15 Dec 2017, 3:31 pm

This is my fave part of the article.

It helps clarify how and why Kylo Ren feels the pull to the Light.
Rey is drawn to the heart of the island of Ahch-To, it is not due to a beacon of light from the Jedi Temple—it is from the lure of an inviting darkness. In search of answers, a waterlogged Rey finds herself inside the belly of Ahch-To. It’s a cold and secluded place reserved for the dark side, yet it remains unthreatened by Rey’s presence. She has come looking for her origins, but finds only a mirror.

This is because she is the shiny reflection of the sark, and for there to be balance, light and dark must co-exist without fear. There cannot be one without the other, and Rey could not exist without Kylo Ren or the Skywalker legacy. This difficult to grapple concept is why she finds Luke’s stalling tactics so frustrating, and Ben’s ear so therapeutic. He too knows what it is like to struggle with a heritage he doesn’t fully comprehend. This similarity is what binds them so well… and scares Luke half to death.

When Luke first attempts to teach Rey a lesson about the Force, she is instinctively dragged into the dark side’s pit. “You didn’t even it fight it,” Luke shivers. That is because both she and Kylo are naturally drawn to the other’s allure, and their fates are entwined. This is not to say there is a romantic connection between the two... but the attraction of it exists for both parties

Last edited by Rei of Sunshine on Fri 15 Dec 2017, 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rei of Sunshine
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen Fri 15 Dec 2017, 3:32 pm

Thinking more about this movie, I feel like other than killing Luke, there weren't really risks taken here. It really does feel as though everything "answered" or "changed" was left up in the air by the end. There was no solid and game-changing stance taken on much of anything.

- Rey is still pretty paragon-y. No true exploration into any inner darkness, and she still came out incredibly powerful all things considered. In what way should she be ready to pass on the ways of the Jedi? It barely felt like she trained at all.

- Kylo didn't take a definitive stance one way or another either. Will he be evil Renperor or will he be redeemable? Could go either way, because in the end he's in the same position he was at the end of TFA. "Kill them all" Kylo ain't new or even a regression; he did that at the start of TFA too. Nothing he did in TLJ was any worse than anything he did in TFA. It really felt like square one.

- Will Rey and Kylo's connection still influence them and be important? From a logical storytelling perspective, perhaps the obvious answer is yes. But TLJ doesn't make a definitive statement on that either. Rian left the ending ambiguous enough that if JJ for some reason decided he wanted that bond to be over and Rey to say 'screw him', he could and it wouldn't go against anything previously established. 

- Luke is dead....but IS HE? There's still plenty of room for him to play a big part in IX as a Force ghost, so he's not really gone.

- We know the answer to Rey's parents....OR DO WE? The way that's presented also leaves it far too open to interpretation than I'd like.

I get that it's the second chapter and they want to leave plenty of things in flux, but couldn't we have at least gotten some kind of definitive, no room for interpretation game changer? For all the hype, it felt like things were played entirely safe upon reflecting on things.

Last edited by ZioRen on Fri 15 Dec 2017, 3:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat Fri 15 Dec 2017, 3:34 pm

IoJovi wrote:Just got back from my second viewing, and let me tell you guys, I feel better the second time around.  There’s so much foreshadowing to them in the middle of the movie during the height of the Reylo scenes.  Yes I expected their relation to work in the opposite direction of how it actually went, as I’m sure all of us did, but I’m still alright, judging by what I picked up on the second time around.

Rey and Ben telling each other’s futures is probably the biggest clue.  Rey tells Luke that Ben Solo is the galaxy’s only hope would have to be true if he’s the only descendant of the Skywalkers, given they’re the main family.  Ben tells Rey he sees her by his side in the end.  Yes in that same sentence, he says she goes dark, and I’m wondering if they’re going to switch and ultimately save each other from darkness until they meet in the middle.

@IoJovi

Speaking of the legacy sabre, did the crystal also crack in two or did I imagine that?

I'm thinking Rey will probably get a double-bladed sabre now.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Fri 15 Dec 2017, 3:35 pm

ReyofLightSide wrote:

@IoJovi

Totally agree! I have seen it twice and will sit with it a bit before seeing again. How was it going in not spoiled?  I was totally spoiled but don't know if that was better? I did freak TF out over the clips.

Maybe we got the movie we needed rather than the one we wanted to all happen exactly as we wanted it.
@ReyofLightSide

Being prepared ahead of time for the Battle of Crait would have been better, to be completely honest.  I purposely went in maybe 20% spoiled, and I feel like that was a miscalculation.  Sure for the GA it works, but as a die hard Reylo fan I was tearing my hair out.  I was so mad at him!  I think I understand it better now though - they needed to meet the other half way and as a result of not doing so, it was a disaster.  The whole thing is classic enemies to lovers, so there is that.

All he would have needed to do is not give up the throne, but instead call off the attack on the resistance.  All she would have needed to do is stick around and talk to him awhile longer than going for theblightsaber and trying to kill him (just like his uncle.)

Only one of them would have had to make that step, and it would have been alright.

Dingbat excellent point about the double blades saber!!! Since he was unconscious I bet she did take it with her.
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonjump05 Fri 15 Dec 2017, 3:40 pm

MyOnlyHope wrote:So I watched the film last night and I thought it was really phenomenal. A great film and a great Star Wars film. Funny, sweet, heartwarming, angsty as all hell. It was a little fast paced, especially in the beginning, but other than that minor drawback I found the whole experience incredibly enjoyable. Heartbreaking, yes, but enjoyable. And that's to be expected of the darker middle chapter.

I don't really share the criticism about wasted new characters. I felt all were used well to facilitate the arcs of the more core leads. Holdo came as a surprise to me. I really liked her and felt she served an essential purpose in the story. I guess DJ was a little weird, but I didn't find him unnecessary.

Rose and Finn's story was great. Sure it wasn't quite as magnetic as Kylo and Rey, but I still enjoyed it immensely. Rose is just wonderful, and she plays really well off Finn. They are the sweetest thing together. I also really loved Rose's musical theme.

Renperor was probably the single greatest comedy act I've ever witnessed. Good gosh. I was actually laughing in the theatre. Actually a lot of people were. This kid is never going to be Supreme Leader Anything. He's a pathetic, conflicted, ignorant mess who got deservedly and unceremoniously jilted by his entire family and now the love of his life. It's impossible to even be mad at him because he's just such a pitiful fool. AMAZING character who we now get to watch drag himself out of the ditch, but a complete moron nonetheless.

Rey and Kylo... oh Rey and Kylo. They are more hypnotizing and magnetic than ever.Some scenes I particularly enjoyed. Handsex. One of the most beautiful pieces of imagery every to film in my opinion. I don't really understand why people are attributing the visions Kylo and Rey had of each other to Snoke. In that briefest touch, they saw potential, but conflicting futures. I've seen some people here say that Rey decided to save Ben Solo too quickly, and I'm going to have to disagree. Here's why. When she touched his hand, she fell in love with what she saw. She fell in love with her belonging, with Ben Solo. And here's the thing for me. We, the audience, never meet Ben Solo. Kylo Ren is still purely Kylo Ren, a villain, and I think that's not something we really prepared ourselves for. He really thinks Ben Solo is gone. Rey thinks otherwise. Well we know Kylo interpreted what he saw when he and Rey touched very wrongly. They will stand together one day, just not in the way he thinks. Against all odds, what Rey saw is closer to the truth. She just expected too much too soon. She had unfeasible expectations of him in his present state. Kylo is very much a Dark sider with a little Light. He's not ready to realize he's wrong or even that Ben Solo is still alive. I think it was a bold choice to have Rey fall in love with what she saw in her vision while not letting the audience see it with her.

Rey slamming the door in Kylo's face while he kneels in a pathetic heap on the ground. Another gorgeous scene, and one that really solidified Luke's plan to me. Luke knows what's up in my opinion. He knows he can't save Ben Solo. Only Rey and Ben himself can do that. The dice! Oh the dice. In my opinion, Luke knows how this is going to go down. He gave those dice to Leia who then dropped them on the floor and were then found by pathetic Kylo. Rey hasn't given up on him forever. She knows what she saw in her vision is the truth. She's just given up on his moronic *** for the time being.

The film definitely doesn't fill me with the same joy as The Force Awakens, and I'm sure I won't go see it 8 times like I did with that movie. I'm one of those people who can't really watch ESB without watching ROTJ right afterward. I can watch ANH all on its own just like I can watch TFA all on its own, but ESB, and I suspect TLJ in the future, will always have to come with their resolving chapters. Kylo is the only Skywalker and I just don't see LF being okay with doing away with the family name forever. The stakes are so incredibly high for episode IX and I love it that way. I'm sure I won't bother speculating about IX to the extent I did VIII. Reylos won the TFA speculation contest. We know where it's going. The direction of the story isn't really that open anymore, especially for Rey and Kylo. J.J. just needs to conclude a redemption story, not only for Kylo but for all of the Skywalkers, and resolve Rey and Ben's relationship in a way that ties all three sagas together. Full on reverse Anidala is they way they're going IMO. I'm calling the Rey and Kylo wedding at the end of the saga, righting all the wrongs of the previous 8 films. J.J.'s our fairy tale wizard, and I think he's going to give us the happy ending we deserve.
@MyOnlyHope

Thank you, after reading some of the reactions here it was good to read this.
Moonjump05
Moonjump05
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened Fri 15 Dec 2017, 3:41 pm

IoJovi wrote:
ReyofLightSide wrote:

@IoJovi

@ReyofLightSide

Being prepared ahead of time for the Battle of Crait would have been better, to be completely honest.  I purposely went in maybe 20% spoiled, and I feel like that was a miscalculation.  Sure for the GA it works, but as a die hard Reylo fan I was tearing my hair out.  I was so mad at him!  I think I understand it better now though - they needed to meet the other half way and as a result of not doing so, it was a disaster.  The whole thing is classic enemies to lovers, so there is that.

All he would have needed to do is not give up the throne, but instead call off the attack on the resistance.  All she would have needed to do is stick around and talk to him awhile longer than going for theblightsaber and trying to kill him (just like his uncle.)

Only one of them would have had to make that step, and it would have been alright.

Dingbat excellent point about the double blades saber!!! Since he was unconscious I bet she did take it with her.
@IoJovi

Somebody pointed out she still has the broken saber with her. Don't ask me - I didn't notice it at all.
Darth_Awakened
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire Fri 15 Dec 2017, 3:43 pm

I want a double bladed lightsaber in IX damnit!
SheLitAFire
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin Fri 15 Dec 2017, 3:54 pm

AnneNeville wrote:I trust Kylo's version more than Luke's. Once you ignite a lightsaber over someone, there's no taking it back. A moment of weakness is a thought. Drawing a weapon is action.

If you wake in the night to someone holding a pillow just above your face, you can't excuse it.
@AnneNeville

I completely agree. That is a whole mental process to go in the room and light the lightsaber. He rationalized that far. He sees his sister's son's face and still lights it. The sight of Ben's face should made him stop right. Under the law what Luke did was pure first degree murder attempt. It's hard to get more premeditated than killing someone in their sleep.

OTOH, Ben would only most likely be charged with manslaughter for killing Han.  In fact, he might be let off the hook because Han was planting bombs in his vicinity,  another first degree premeditated act. At least Han and Kylo were in a war situation. Luke was in a peaceful place.

Last edited by SoloSideCousin on Fri 15 Dec 2017, 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened Fri 15 Dec 2017, 3:54 pm

Rei of Sunshine wrote:http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/star-wars/269668/star-wars-the-last-jedi-what-exactly-is-the-rey-kylo-ren-relationship

Great article. Must read guys. It helped clarify my understanding of what was shown about the Force and what it means to Kylo and Rey.

I love how the writer doubles down on the fact that Rey and Ben are undeniable drawn to each other. They didn't imply it as a romantic attraction, but a spiritual connection instead.

They go on about needing the Skywalker legacy to end, meaning that Kylo has to die by Rey's blade. But to keep up the balance of the Force, it also means Rey has to die by him as well.

Now if that"s not awfully tragically romantic, then I don't know what. But seeing as this is Disney, they might find a way around both of them needing to die. I think it would be having to give up the Force for good.

I love how this article acknowledges that Rey and Ben are peacefully in balance when they work together (Praet fight and Skype sessions) yet they just can't fullt agree since that is their nature as Dark and Light and must always be against each other.

@Rei of Sunshine

Although I agree on some of the points of the article. I still can't see that the overall story of maturing aka the path from childhood to adulthood
will end in the tragic death for both of them.

It's basically: we didn't get Rey Skywalker - now, they both must die.
Darth_Awakened
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen Fri 15 Dec 2017, 3:56 pm

One of my friends made a comment how The Last Jedi reminds her a bit of Harry Potter Half-Blood Prince. Certain similarities.
DarthRen
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru Fri 15 Dec 2017, 3:57 pm

@IoJovi

I have the same feelings and I honestly think this is the point of the movie: war is a waste of time and if people talked and tried to meet each other in the middle, things would get better. The battle of Crait is at the same time ridiculous and horrifying, and it shows exactly how nasty and pointless war is.

And it's really sad after the hand scene because there, Rey and Ben were trying to understand each other and it sparked something truly beautiful and powerful between them, something new.

Also, I love how another Ben is the Galaxy's only hope.
Piper Maru
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat Fri 15 Dec 2017, 4:10 pm

Piper Maru wrote:
Also, I love how another Ben is the Galaxy's only hope.
@Piper Maru

IT'S LIKE POTTERY
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen Fri 15 Dec 2017, 4:15 pm

I saw people speculating elsewhere if Rey could have kept a good grip on Kylo and his "rule" and pushed him in a better direction if she'd stayed with him. I mean, the conversation I saw was in the context of "if Rey was smart, she would have stayed knowing she could manipulate Kylo into being not so evil because he's infatuated with her", but it did make me wonder what influence Rey could have if she did stay but still didn't agree with his methods. Would she be able to tame or calm Kylo's "burn it to the ground" mindset in any way?
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AnneNeville Fri 15 Dec 2017, 4:21 pm

Rei of Sunshine wrote:This is my fave part of the article.

Rey is drawn to the heart of the island of Ahch-To, it is not due to a beacon of light from the Jedi Temple—it is from the lure of an inviting darkness. In search of answers, a waterlogged Rey finds herself inside the belly of Ahch-To. It’s a cold and secluded place reserved for the dark side, yet it remains unthreatened by Rey’s presence. She has come looking for her origins, but finds only a mirror.

This is because she is the shiny reflection of the sark, and for there to be balance, light and dark must co-exist without fear. There cannot be one without the other, and Rey could not exist without Kylo Ren or the Skywalker legacy. This difficult to grapple concept is why she finds Luke’s stalling tactics so frustrating, and Ben’s ear so therapeutic. He too knows what it is like to struggle with a heritage he doesn’t fully comprehend. This similarity is what binds them so well… and scares Luke half to death.

When Luke first attempts to teach Rey a lesson about the Force, she is instinctively dragged into the dark side’s pit. “You didn’t even it fight it,” Luke shivers. That is because both she and Kylo are naturally drawn to the other’s allure, and their fates are entwined. This is not to say there is a romantic connection between the two... but the attraction of it exists for both parties
@Rei of Sunshine

Beautiful description of Rey being drawn to darkness. It reminds me of Kylo's words: "I feel it again, the pull to the light."

I wonder whether Kylo still communes with Darth Vader's mask--or does he turn to Rey when he's lonely?

How many chats more than were shown do you think they had? It seems it must have been many.
AnneNeville
AnneNeville
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Reylo Lemon Fri 15 Dec 2017, 4:23 pm

Darth_Awakened wrote:
Rei of Sunshine wrote:http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/star-wars/269668/star-wars-the-last-jedi-what-exactly-is-the-rey-kylo-ren-relationship

@Rei of Sunshine

Although I agree on some of the points of the article. I still can't see that the overall story of maturing aka the path from childhood to adulthood
will end in the tragic death for both of them.

It's basically: we didn't get Rey Skywalker - now, they both must die.
@Darth_Awakened

Why kill each other off? Wtf?! Even if they don't meet in the middle, they still can follow a Hades and Persephone route. The point of the movie is simply that if you want life, you need death for eternity
Reylo Lemon
Reylo Lemon
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin Fri 15 Dec 2017, 4:24 pm

Atenais wrote:
MeadowofAshes wrote:I seriously wonder if the entire purpose was to make the audience hate everyone except Ben -- really put us in his shoes and let us experience his emotions that came from being abused and then made to feel like a monster by the people who were supposed to be protecting him: coldness, an unsettling disturbance, deep sadness and disappointment, and sheer rage. Because that's sure as hell all I felt by the time Renperor happened.

If that was the goal -- Mission Accomplished.

Re ReyPoe: I hope she does go to bed with him. I hope she realizes he's as self-centered, narcissistic an a** there as he is in the cockpit. And then I hope she thinks about HandSex with Ben and knows deep down in her gut he'd have been the sensuous, tender lover she really wanted because he actually has freaking feelings for her.
@MeadowofAshes

Can I join your league? I'm with you in this.

I was thinking about the movie, and I remember one scene that disturbed me in the moment. When the fight with PG ended, Kylo looked at Snoke, as he was just assimilating what he had done, "I killed my master". It was just such a little but emotional scene, and Rey just looked at him as it wasn't important. I'm starting to think that, right now, he has more feelings for her than the other way around.
@Atenais

He totally feels more for her than she for him. After the fight he is walking towards her, looking like he wants to kiss her, and she doesn't give the slightest bit of acknowledgement of this crucible that they went through together. She doesn't think that he just saved her life and actually threw off his mindf****** abuser, the only person who didn't try to kill him and who, as sick as it was, was the only person who had given Kylo any notice in years. She doesn't run to them. She runs to the screen and talks about the Resistance.  That is primary in her mind, not him. She is as extreme as him with her absolutist political views.  Sure he could have met her half way, stopped the attack and still be emperor or whatever. But there was a magic moment there where he would have done anything for her, and it disappeared because she didn't acknowledge him.

She gets a second chance at this when he literally begs her (Adam's face practically cracked in half at this moment) to join him. She could have said, "Please Ben (Also a magic word for him) my friends." Instead of grabbing his hand and pleading with him (because no question he is in an extremely unstable place at that moment) to think differently, she goes for the saber. And you know what that looks like. It looks like she going to kill him just like Luke. And then she leaves him on the ground unconscious,  in a messed up ship, takes *Snoke's transport* and leave him to the tender mercies of Hux. She becomes another Luke at this point. That's why he goes nuts. And I really mean that, that was a huge mental breakdown. I had tears in my eyes over how much pain he was in while she was happily being a gunner on the Falcon. And even after the total humiliation with Luke, he still gives her a devastated look of affection at the ramp of the Falcon. She gives him no such look of tenderness. She slams the door in his face. No, she does not care for him nearly as much at all.

She also does a bunch of dark stuff and I am not sure they will habe the guts to follow up on it, when a ship full of mutineers, a mother who can't bother to walk out to her son, and a girl who basically is sexually attracted to him, but is using him to serve her own needs (finding answers, be the savior of the Resistance) is made out to be the big feaking hope for Broom Boy and the rest of the Galaxy. A lot of the people on the MF at the end are rotten ... yet it seems like we are supposed to sympathize with them. Is Rian subverting that or is that the real deal? And the mindf***** kid just needs to suck it up and get with the Resistance program.
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AnneNeville Fri 15 Dec 2017, 4:30 pm

Rei of Sunshine wrote:This is my fave part of the article.

@Rei of Sunshine

Beautiful description of Rey being drawn to darkness. It reminds me of Kylo's words: "I feel it again, the pull to the light."  

I wonder whether Kylo still communes with Darth Vader's mask--or does he turn to Rey when he's lonely?

How many chats more than were shown do you think they had? It seems it must have been many.
ZioRen wrote:I saw people speculating elsewhere if Rey could have kept a good grip on Kylo and his "rule" and pushed him in a better direction if she'd stayed with him. I mean, the conversation I saw was in the context of "if Rey was smart, she would have stayed knowing she could manipulate Kylo into being not so evil because he's infatuated with her", but it did make me wonder what influence Rey could have if she did stay but still didn't agree with his methods. Would she be able to tame or calm Kylo's "burn it to the ground" mindset in any way?
@ZioRen
I don't think so. I think she had to leave, frustrating as it was as a viewer. Maybe if he'd abandoned the throne, she could have stayed and had an influence, but interjecting herself into the FO with Hux, Phasma and Supreme Leader Kylo would have given her an impossible task.

Plus, Kylo would get what he wanted most without definitively changing course. I cannot see that resulting in a balanced relationship.
AnneNeville
AnneNeville
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen Fri 15 Dec 2017, 4:31 pm

To be entirely fair....Rey doesn't really know Kylo. Yes, they shared a very strong connection, but there's so much about Kylo's past and circumstances that Rey doesn't know. Luke was the breaking point, but he wasn't the start. Rey doesn't know about all the years Snoke has been tormenting Kylo or how that must have felt because, well, Kylo didn't show it to her. Or the audience for that matter. I feel like Kylo knows more about Rey's loneliness than she about his. She doesn't understand the enormity of what he just did to Snoke and the choice he just made. Though maybe she should considering she knows firsthand that Kylo was willing to kill his own father for Snoke, and yet not her.

Perhaps IX will help her in developing a deeper understanding of Kylo and where he comes from. They both wanted something from each other at the end of TLJ that wasn't reasonable considering who they are as people and the point they're at in their lives. So the whole thing fell apart. They need to further see, understand, and accept each other to strike up any kind of balance.

And @SoloSideCousin I totally agree that Kylo was seeing her as another Luke in a way. I was shocked to see her "reach out" for his hand but actually start pulling for the lightsaber, because I thought that was a pretty key part of that scene that folks were leaving out when they described it. I said this elsewhere, but I think that's a big part of why he has such a visceral reaction to Luke telling him that he wasn't going to be the Last Jedi, obviously talking about Rey. Luke was basically telling him that Rey is going to join, lead even, the same order that Kylo sees as being willing to kill family in their sleep before they've done anything. I think Luke was inadvertently taking those thoughts Kylo had about Rey in the Throne Room that you described and twisting the knife of those fears even deeper. It's no wonder Kylo has a kneejerk reaction of declaring that he'll destroy her along with everything else in that moment.

Last edited by ZioRen on Fri 15 Dec 2017, 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next