Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rey Kenobi Postmortem

+22
madeinmn
BigDeal2187
rey09
SheLitAFire
californiagirl
KiraRen2015
Darth Snoopy
vaderito
Saracene
karamelreylo
Mila95
Starliteprism
unicorn
motherofpearl1
SW_Heroine_Journey
reylo1992
bruna8728
giaciak2
Socialnole
Gemini
spacebaby45678
fuhry
26 posters

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Rey Kenobi Postmortem - Page 4 Empty Re: Rey Kenobi Postmortem

Post by Gemini Wed 09 Sep 2020, 7:27 am

karamelreylo wrote:I'm not saying Rey Kenobi isn't valid because it obviously is, but I didn't see the set up at all either in TFA. It never struck my mind that Rey could be a Kenobi. I just thought it was a fan theory. There was a short spell where I thought Rey could be Luke's, but that's because I'm stupid sometimes. I didn't ship Reylo until the TLJ trailer.
@karamelreylo

Youre not stupid, they were pushing rey skywaker red herring hard. Inwas worried at times tha she was.

It was never just a wild guess with me when it came to discussing Rey Kenobi.

Almost every moment in 7 when Rey was on screen with Kylo, on her own, with leia or with Luke suggested she a kenobi. The theory was born from solid themes and  the film language of 7.

I do agree that after 8, rey kenobi was almost dead in the water, they seem to have had it somewhat there in 9 again with the image of kenobi next to rey either in the vision sequence or her back in the mirror cave but ultimately chose Palp....dear god.

Last edited by Gemini on Wed 09 Sep 2020, 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism Wed 09 Sep 2020, 7:29 am

karamelreylo wrote:I'm not saying Rey Kenobi isn't valid because it obviously is, but I didn't see the set up at all either in TFA. It never struck my mind that Rey could be a Kenobi. I just thought it was a fan theory. There was a short spell where I thought Rey could be Luke's, but that's because I'm stupid sometimes. I didn't ship Reylo until the TLJ trailer.
Check out the Art of Star Wars books. :-)
Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Mila95 Wed 09 Sep 2020, 7:29 am

Gemini wrote:
Mila95 wrote:Tbh I think the Kenobi reveal would have been kinda pointless unless they did something like actually introduce one of Rey's parents and make it a whole storyline. Otherwise Kenobi means nothing to Rey just like Palpatine. But the Palpatine thing wasted so much time and was so thematically awful and nihilistic, I don't see how Kenobi would have been worse. Also hope this stops people from claiming JJ had a plan at all lol
@Mila95

I personally disagree. Daisy clearly states the original plan was Kenobi. Which would indicate that was the plan in 7. JJ even said he had an idea about where he wanted it to go in 7, here we have the answer. He also mentioned it was a sibling like or a love bond he was toying with. Which is where a kenobi/skywaker bond could go. Either a familial type bond or he could choose romance path instead.

She then says she was a nobody (that was 8 which we know)

I mean to me and many others, we also saw who she was in 7, this was clear as day with 7, she was a kenobi. The film language, story and theme of being connected to the skywalkers suggested this.

Had they continued with what they actually set up, Rey Kenobi would have worked perfectly. But inagree, after 8nit could make less sense ad be problematic.

JJ clearly had a plan with 7 and it dissapeared.

In terms of the saga, its the only lineage that actually fits IMO and would have tied it all up neatly and left people on a high.

The parent was probably going to be Pryde. That changed.

Again I think its only a matter of time until the whole truth will come out.

What they later did totally destroyed the clear kenobi set up of 7. Had they just continued what they stated  story would have been coherent at least. Not a big mish mash of ideas.
@Gemini

Well Daisy said at one point they were toying with Kenobi so it wasn't that set in stone. I see the callbacks and parallels to Obi Wan but they did that with Rey and Luke and it didn't mean she was his kid. They paralleled her with basically any major past character at some point which is why I don't think the Kenobi set up was very strong.I wouldn't have hated it but i also wasn't invested in any lineage theory tho.

Mila95
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by karamelreylo Wed 09 Sep 2020, 7:31 am

Starliteprism wrote:
@Starliteprism

I'm pretty done with the Star Wars franchise besides Mandalorian and fanfiction, possibly Clone Wars if I have a lot of free time on my hands, so I don't really have the motivation anymore to check out the Art books. I'm super bitter about the sequel trilogy still.

Last edited by karamelreylo on Wed 09 Sep 2020, 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total

karamelreylo
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Wed 09 Sep 2020, 7:33 am

Mila95 wrote:
Gemini wrote:
Mila95 wrote:Tbh I think the Kenobi reveal would have been kinda pointless unless they did something like actually introduce one of Rey's parents and make it a whole storyline. Otherwise Kenobi means nothing to Rey just like Palpatine. But the Palpatine thing wasted so much time and was so thematically awful and nihilistic, I don't see how Kenobi would have been worse. Also hope this stops people from claiming JJ had a plan at all lol
@Mila95

I personally disagree. Daisy clearly states the original plan was Kenobi. Which would indicate that was the plan in 7. JJ even said he had an idea about where he wanted it to go in 7, here we have the answer. He also mentioned it was a sibling like or a love bond he was toying with. Which is where a kenobi/skywaker bond could go. Either a familial type bond or he could choose romance path instead.

She then says she was a nobody (that was 8 which we know)

I mean to me and many others, we also saw who she was in 7, this was clear as day with 7, she was a kenobi. The film language, story and theme of being connected to the skywalkers suggested this.

Had they continued with what they actually set up, Rey Kenobi would have worked perfectly. But inagree, after 8nit could make less sense ad be problematic.

JJ clearly had a plan with 7 and it dissapeared.

In terms of the saga, its the only lineage that actually fits IMO and would have tied it all up neatly and left people on a high.

The parent was probably going to be Pryde. That changed.

Again I think its only a matter of time until the whole truth will come out.

What they later did totally destroyed the clear kenobi set up of 7. Had they just continued what they stated  story would have been coherent at least. Not a big mish mash of ideas.
@Gemini

Well Daisy said at one point they were toying with Kenobi so it wasn't that set in stone. I see the callbacks and parallels to Obi Wan but they did that with Rey and Luke and it didn't mean she was his kid. They paralleled her with basically any major past character at some point which is why I don't think the Kenobi set up was very strong.I wouldn't have hated it but i also wasn't invested in any lineage theory tho.
@Mila95

She says there was orignally a kenobi connection. Its even there in the art book for 9. Which suggests JJ was considering carrying it on.

I'm pretty satisfied that she was a kenobi in 7  I mean the ending of the movie being the largest confirmation for me.

I do agree that after 8, rey kenobi would have been a bit of a mess to explain, just like Rey Palpatine was. Like the mish mash of lineages truly screwed up a cohesive story.

I couldn't let Rey Kenobi go after 7..lol people were trying to warn me and I didn't listen.
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Wed 09 Sep 2020, 7:36 am

@gemini

the Rey Kenobi themes are there in TFA we don't have to go back and litigate this ANYMORE... it has been confirmed.. I am sorry for those who "don't see it" well I don't know what to tell you but it is pointless to say you don't see it when DR has just confirmed what is there on film, score, direction, themes, and cinematic poetry.

It is clearly where GL was headed .... JJ was headed that way in TFA when RJ had a brilliant idea to over turn that and not answer the burning questions that JJ left .... like who was Snoke.....

Rey and Kylo had visions of each other... in the vein of Paul and Chani from Dune... GL being a big Dune fan I can see that influence in TFA

Wow... just wow..

spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Wed 09 Sep 2020, 7:40 am

karamelreylo wrote:
Starliteprism wrote:
@Starliteprism

I'm pretty done with the Star Wars franchise besides Mandalorian and fanfiction, possibly Clone Wars if I have a lot of free time on my hands, so I don't really have the motivation anymore to check out the Art books. I'm super bitter about the sequel trilogy still.
@karamelreylo

I'm done with it too LOL
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Wed 09 Sep 2020, 7:52 am

Like guys, I'm not trying to sound like a boasting jerk with Rey Kenobi (kind of confirmation) from Daisy. Sorry if it came across that way. Its just a simple personal validation for me that i didn't  waste 5 years of my life seeing something that wasn there at the start of the story. Lol

Based off daisy's words, I totally accept that Rey Kenobi was thrown in the trash with 8 and all te rey random were 100 percent on the money with Rey Random. Yall tried to warn me and i refused to listen.

The we all got screwed with 9 lol.

Last edited by Gemini on Wed 09 Sep 2020, 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Wed 09 Sep 2020, 7:54 am

I am done with it too, the saga has been rendered unwatchable... looking forward to Dune's 3 minute trailer today... Hopefully it can renew my faith in basic mythological storytelling ( that Hollywood ) won't hijack for an agenda

we shall see
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 Wed 09 Sep 2020, 8:13 am

I'm currently binge watching Cursed, hopefully it'll be renewed for another season, some Reylo vibes, but post TROS I'm being careful not to invest too much in anything.

Fortunately Netflix aren't Disney. The only good thing to come out of the ST is Ben/Kylo. He will always be my favourite SW character, and has made Adam's career, which is fabulous. But unfortunately SW is forever'broken' for this fan. And that makes me sad, as I've loved it for over four decades.
To quote the Chronicles of Narnia's Digory:
"I saw it born. I never thought I would see it die."
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Wed 09 Sep 2020, 9:10 am

It’s really hard to see how Rey Kenobi in the last episode would have been worse than the Rey Palpatine disaster we got, even if it was about attaching a last-minute cool legacy name.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

unicorn likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Wed 09 Sep 2020, 9:20 am

Rey kenobi would not have been last minute. Daisy confirmed it was there at the start before Rey Random. It follows naturally from TFA but not 8 unfortunately.

Last edited by Gemini on Wed 09 Sep 2020, 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Wed 09 Sep 2020, 9:26 am

Gemini wrote:Rey kenobi would not have been last minute. Daisy confirmed it was there at the start before Rey Random. It follows naturally from TFA but not 8 unfortunately.
@Gemini

Congrats to Gemini and Spacebaby for sicking with this theory. Also Anthony Breznican for reporting about rumors from LFL.

This just shows how utterly unplanned the whole thing was. Shameful. Seriously.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Gemini likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 Wed 09 Sep 2020, 9:26 am

You know, anyone remember Once Upon A Time?
That was another Disney baby. Several of the characters did pretty awful things. Yet they had happy endings. Emma Swan was a strong female, and also the lead character. Yet she had a child, fell in love and neither demeaned her. Many characters committed worse crimes than Kylo. Yet they lived, earned redemption and for the most part got a happy ending.

So, why make such a nihilistic depressing ending for SW, known for its message of hope and redemption?
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Snoopy Wed 09 Sep 2020, 9:43 am

Saracene wrote:It’s really hard to see how Rey Kenobi in the last episode would have been worse than the Rey Palpatine disaster we got, even if it was about attaching a last-minute cool legacy name.
@Saracene

Agree. Palpatine or Kenobi brings the same problems. Both can be written to work, but it honestly means that the WHOLE trilogy, and I include 7, would have to be restructured. The issues started there. Even though I like Reylo - she was written too much as a self insert, very blank but with all the trappings of several pre-existing SW characters. Even if there were Kenobi allusions in 7, I can twist nearly any callback in TFA to mean something significant. Its why so many parentage theories took off after TFA. The strongest hint to do with Kenobi in TFA is "these are your first steps"... But, then that vision was chock full of incidental bits.
Darth Snoopy
Darth Snoopy
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Wed 09 Sep 2020, 10:01 am

vaderito wrote:
Gemini wrote:Rey kenobi would not have been last minute. Daisy confirmed it was there at the start before Rey Random. It follows naturally from TFA but not 8 unfortunately.
@Gemini

Congrats to Gemini and Spacebaby for sicking with this theory. Also Anthony Breznican for reporting about rumors from LFL.

This just shows how utterly unplanned the whole thing was. Shameful. Seriously.
@vaderito

Thank you.. it was shameful
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by KiraRen2015 Wed 09 Sep 2020, 10:17 am

@Darth Snoopy Agreed and honestly I think this is more JJ's failure and not Rian's. Watching TFA now, it's clear JJ not only had no plan for Rey, but completely disregarded canon materials. He left the door open for Reywalker, Rey Nobody/Reylo, Rey Kenobi and Ray Palpatine just to name a few, whilst not even thinking how on earth the next writer could even explain any of these parentages to the audience and make it seem legit and not shoehorned in, as well as make it relevant to Rey herself! It's why TROS was such a mess in the parentage regard. I think Rian just took what he found most interesting as well as the one he thought was the les difficult to work with (Reylo/Rey Random) and tried to do what he could. It was a mess for sure but JJ was the one who put him in that position imo.
KiraRen2015
KiraRen2015
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Wed 09 Sep 2020, 10:28 am

spacebaby45678 wrote:

@spacebaby45678

Yep. OT, Paul Atreides resembles Kylo so much in your avatar.  H-beating
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Wed 09 Sep 2020, 10:36 am

vaderito wrote:
spacebaby45678 wrote:

@spacebaby45678

@vaderito

I know doesn't he H-beating so many similarities between Paul and Kylo's characters.. full trailer for Dune drops today.. I can't wait..
vaderito wrote:
spacebaby45678 wrote:

@spacebaby45678

@vaderito

know doesn't he H-beating so many similarities between Paul and Kylo's characters.. full trailer for Dune drops today.. I can't wait..
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Wed 09 Sep 2020, 10:47 am

I'm over it. I'm just glad I wasn't imagining things
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl Wed 09 Sep 2020, 11:03 am

(wrong thread)
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Gemini likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Wed 09 Sep 2020, 11:06 am

Lol at rey palp being the least favourite,  well done LF

True masters of reading an audience.
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire Wed 09 Sep 2020, 11:29 am

motherofpearl1 wrote:It makes me so mad - if this is the direction Disney intends to go with their female characters I'm out.
I'm just sorry they've got Marvel movies.
@motherofpearl1

I just watched the new Mulan and didn't think it was very good (very flat characters) and didn't like the changes they made to the story line (I get the changes to the love interest not being her commander because of power issues, but....I won't say anything else as to not spoil anything.)
SheLitAFire
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Wed 09 Sep 2020, 11:43 am

spacebaby45678 wrote:
know doesn't he H-beating so many similarities between Paul and Kylo's characters.. full trailer for Dune drops today.. I can't wait..
@spacebaby45678

vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Wed 09 Sep 2020, 12:00 pm

vaderito wrote:
spacebaby45678 wrote:
@spacebaby45678

@vaderito

A legend is born.. Maud Dib... Dune Nation RISE!!.. so excited... but will I see it in theaters????? I don't know
Will have to buy a whole row of seats for myself

Mulan is the Phoenix.. like Ben should have been.. she dies and rises in the movie.. Haha
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next