Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors - 10

+48
panki
Reylo Lemon
BastilaBey
Helix
Irina de France
Rimfaxe96
IoJovi
Geralt_Riv
nonesuch
MindAndMagic
Krafty
EchoBase
ReyofLightSide
AceofWands
Kylo Ren
Saracene
LondonGal555
ZenBrainJam
MissG
MyOnlyHope
Little_Boots
FrolickingFizzgig
Lily Snape
Moonjump05
MeadowofAshes
hrivulja
Gemini
CienaRee
SoloSideCousin
ZioRen
Darth_Awakened
motherofpearl1
Rei of Sunshine
creepi0
Jakku
Sylvia Snow
Darth Dingbat
snufkin
jakkusun
Mana
Xylo Ren
Birdwoman
Kessel
soulluos
ViviF
SanghaRen
Macha Ren
Darth Dementor
52 posters

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40

Go down

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors - 10 - Page 40 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors - 10

Post by IoJovi Tue 11 Oct 2016, 8:41 pm

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:Pablo says he doesn't know anything about the Official Star Wars Annual. I would think the story group would have some awareness of it if it had been run past them.

Anyway, I go by what's in the movies. The official novelisations and such have thrown up too many discrepancies. When it comes to Reylo, or anything else for that matter, it is best to go with what is on screen. I do think we are on safer ground with novels like Bloodline and the Aftermath series, but I'm treating the rest with caution.
@Mrs Ben Solo

When I learned the Story Team never read the novelization, it suddenly explained so much about Rey's last scene with Poe... Laughing
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors - 10 - Page 40 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors - 10

Post by ZioRen Tue 11 Oct 2016, 8:44 pm

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:Pablo says he doesn't know anything about the Official Star Wars Annual. I would think the story group would have some awareness of it if it had been run past them.

Anyway, I go by what's in the movies. The official novelisations and such have thrown up too many discrepancies. When it comes to Reylo, or anything else for that matter, it is best to go with what is on screen. I do think we are on safer ground with novels like Bloodline and the Aftermath series, but I'm treating the rest with caution.
@Mrs Ben Solo

It's worth being careful, yeah. And being curious about validity is definitely not about denouncing a headcanon that isn't ours. Remember how we tore apart those pictures of "Adam and Daisy" together in an embrace before antis even noticed? And that supported Reylo totally. The first question people tend to ask here about this stuff is "is that official".

Though sometimes if it isn't, we can still get something out of how the author may have seen things. That comes into play a lot with Reylo because it's about seeing that other people are seeing some of what we see. I think that's why most of us were happy with LEGO Star Wars, even if it isn't canon.
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Tue 11 Oct 2016, 8:46 pm

Little_Boots wrote:If I upset anyone I am sorry.
@Little_Boots

Boots, you are not American and you don't have to care about American things, OK? We here think that everyone should care about our problems but, nope, the world doesn't and they are right. The world has their own problems and ours aren't relatable to them any more than theirs are relatable to us. So just enjoy movies which are more and more made for global market and not for US only, especially big blockbusters cannot survive without foreign markets due to overblown budgets and marketing costs.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Tue 11 Oct 2016, 8:47 pm

ZioRen wrote:

@Mrs Ben Solo

It's worth being careful, yeah. And being curious about validity is definitely not about denouncing a headcanon that isn't ours. Remember how we tore apart those pictures of "Adam and Daisy" together in an embrace before antis even noticed? And that supported Reylo totally. The first question people tend to ask here about this stuff is "is that official".

Though sometimes if it isn't, we can still get something out of how the author may have seen things. That comes into play a lot with Reylo because it's about seeing that other people seeing some of what we see. I think that's why most of us were happy with LEGO Star Wars, even if it isn't canon.
@ZioRen

Even though it wouldn't have made a lick of sense story-wise, I was torn apart when we debunked the Reylo embrace photo. That said, it IS very curious how MSW immediately jumped to that conclusion, and they're not even ahippers. We're already aware they're holding stuff back. So why the quick jump to conclusion?
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Oct 2016, 8:48 pm

Little_Boots wrote:
MeadowofAshes wrote:@"Little_Boots I do agree with the general sentiment that people should not put expectations or stigmas on a character due to race, but in the States it's an incredibly sensitive issue especially given the current socio-political climate. I don't go into the theatre looking for stereotypes but when something I am bombarded with on the news constantly (the stereotype of a black man being tazed while accused of thievery, whether guilty or innocent) shows up in a film I'm going to notice and wonder what TPTB were thinking.

Just today I had to discipline a 12 year old student for saying the N word not once but twice, laughing and saying it again to his friends because he got into trouble for it the first time. This sort of thing didn't happen when I was a student - back then it had become socially unacceptable to be blatantly racist so if you were you were awfully quiet about it. But thinking racism against people of color is somehow funny or acceptable just because you're in a room full of white people has become a thing with my students recently and I have my guesses as to why. Again, I don't think the character choices with Finn were at all intentionally racist, but those stereotypes aren't something we need perpetuated and Americans on that artistic team should have had the wherewithal to realize that.
@MeadowofAshes

I understand that it is an issue, and I am not heartless when I say people should just go into the cinema and forget all this stuff. Unfortunately, this is something that won't go away over night. Hopefully one day this sort of problem will go away. It also works both ways. I don't like to watch the news because I find it depressing. This thing with Finn is very tame (if there is anything to see which I don't) when you compare it to something like........I don't know......Blazzing Saddles? Yea I know, it's an old comedy. You'll only see this stuff in Star Wars if you chose to see it. Ugh. I am digging a hole now. Whereas something like Blazzing Saddles drums it into your head all the way throughout the film.
@Little_Boots

But Blazing Saddles was a satire which sought to expose the absurdity of prejudice. It's like the show Family Guy. I cringe at some of it but the stuff they put in there is meant to expose how ridiculous certain stereotypes and preconceptions are. Like you can laugh at it if you're totally ignorant and just see surface stuff or you can appreciate the ironies and satire on a deeper level.

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen Tue 11 Oct 2016, 8:49 pm

IoJovi wrote:
ZioRen wrote:

@Mrs Ben Solo

Though sometimes if it isn't, we can still get something out of how the author may have seen things. That comes into play a lot with Reylo because it's about seeing that other people seeing some of what we see. I think that's why most of us were happy with LEGO Star Wars, even if it isn't canon.
@ZioRen

Even though it wouldn't have made a lick of sense story-wise, I was torn apart when we debunked the Reylo embrace photo. That said, it IS very curious how MSW immediately jumped to that conclusion, and they're not even ahippers. We're already aware they're holding stuff back. So why the quick jump to conclusion?
@IoJovi

I thought the exact same thing back then! They never acted like they were all that baffled by the idea of it either, though most fans would be.
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Tue 11 Oct 2016, 8:50 pm

ZioRen wrote:I can see why people might be up in arms about him being comic relief, but I have no problem with that as long as he is a fleshed out character in his own right. Though I have issues with his characterization and think many parts of it were sloppy, he has that potential. He was the easiest character to connect with, in my opinion, while Rey was too competent and good. And if VIII is any indication, he's getting a hero story in his own right, which is great. He's the second protagonist, and he's getting a plot that isn't about Rey and her Force Sensitivity. That's exciting to me, and I have no desire to see him be Force Sensitive. Force sensitive doesn't equal important. In fact, I think the characters who don't have it but are still heroic against the intense, mystical-powered odds are more compelling in this particular universe (I always liked Han better than Luke, for example). He's our everyman, and I like him for it.
@ZioRen

Finn's got a room to grow, much more so than Rey IMO. I think the discrepancy between his personality and his background will always rub me wrong because that makes a character somewhat false at the core, but I do look forward to him becoming more heroic. Which can’t happen if he was introduced in TFA as already heroic and capable.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Little_Boots Tue 11 Oct 2016, 8:53 pm

vaderito wrote:
@Little_Boots

Boots, you are not American and you don't have to care about American things, OK? We here think that everyone should care about our problems but, nope, the world doesn't and they are right. The world has their own problems and ours aren't relatable to them any more than theirs are relatable to us. So just enjoy movies which are more and more made for global market and not for US only, especially big blockbusters cannot survive without foreign markets due to overblown budgets and marketing costs.
@vaderito

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors - 10 - Page 40 TblBTz0

Smile
Little_Boots
Little_Boots
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Little_Boots Tue 11 Oct 2016, 8:55 pm

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
Little_Boots wrote:
MeadowofAshes wrote:@"Little_Boots I do agree with the general sentiment that people should not put expectations or stigmas on a character due to race, but in the States it's an incredibly sensitive issue especially given the current socio-political climate. I don't go into the theatre looking for stereotypes but when something I am bombarded with on the news constantly (the stereotype of a black man being tazed while accused of thievery, whether guilty or innocent) shows up in a film I'm going to notice and wonder what TPTB were thinking.

Just today I had to discipline a 12 year old student for saying the N word not once but twice, laughing and saying it again to his friends because he got into trouble for it the first time. This sort of thing didn't happen when I was a student - back then it had become socially unacceptable to be blatantly racist so if you were you were awfully quiet about it. But thinking racism against people of color is somehow funny or acceptable just because you're in a room full of white people has become a thing with my students recently and I have my guesses as to why. Again, I don't think the character choices with Finn were at all intentionally racist, but those stereotypes aren't something we need perpetuated and Americans on that artistic team should have had the wherewithal to realize that.
@MeadowofAshes

I understand that it is an issue, and I am not heartless when I say people should just go into the cinema and forget all this stuff. Unfortunately, this is something that won't go away over night. Hopefully one day this sort of problem will go away. It also works both ways. I don't like to watch the news because I find it depressing. This thing with Finn is very tame (if there is anything to see which I don't) when you compare it to something like........I don't know......Blazzing Saddles? Yea I know, it's an old comedy. You'll only see this stuff in Star Wars if you chose to see it. Ugh. I am digging a hole now. Whereas something like Blazzing Saddles drums it into your head all the way throughout the film.
@Little_Boots

But Blazing Saddles was a satire which sought to expose the absurdity of prejudice. It's like the show Family Guy. I cringe at some of it but the stuff they put in there is meant to expose how ridiculous certain stereotypes and preconceptions are. Like you can laugh at it if you're totally ignorant and just see surface stuff or you can appreciate the ironies and satire on a deeper level.
@Mrs Ben Solo

I know all that. Which is why I am stunned at this whole race thing with Finn. So am I ignorant now if I laugh at that film?
Little_Boots
Little_Boots
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen Tue 11 Oct 2016, 8:56 pm

Saracene wrote:
ZioRen wrote:I can see why people might be up in arms about him being comic relief, but I have no problem with that as long as he is a fleshed out character in his own right. Though I have issues with his characterization and think many parts of it were sloppy, he has that potential. He was the easiest character to connect with, in my opinion, while Rey was too competent and good. And if VIII is any indication, he's getting a hero story in his own right, which is great. He's the second protagonist, and he's getting a plot that isn't about Rey and her Force Sensitivity. That's exciting to me, and I have no desire to see him be Force Sensitive. Force sensitive doesn't equal important. In fact, I think the characters who don't have it but are still heroic against the intense, mystical-powered odds are more compelling in this particular universe (I always liked Han better than Luke, for example). He's our everyman, and I like him for it.
@ZioRen

Finn's got a room to grow, much more so than Rey IMO. I think the discrepancy between his personality and his background will always rub me wrong because that makes a character somewhat false at the core, but I do look forward to him becoming more heroic. Which can’t happen if he was introduced in TFA as already heroic and capable.
@Saracene

I also think the character was kind of robbed when they made his background not matter or affect him all that much. There was so much interesting tension they could have put in his story, personality, and view of the world. I have some hope that it'll affect him more in the future, though!

As for Rey's growth, I agree that Finn has much more obvious potential than her at the moment. Kylo too, for that matter. I think his losing did much, much more for his character than Rey's, to be honest. Though I still think Rey has a good story ahead of her so I'm not too worried about it. I think her story will be more about combating the dark and her past than getting stronger.
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 11 Oct 2016, 9:03 pm

ZioRen wrote:

@Mrs Ben Solo

Though sometimes if it isn't, we can still get something out of how the author may have seen things. That comes into play a lot with Reylo because it's about seeing that other people are seeing some of what we see. I think that's why most of us were happy with LEGO Star Wars, even if it isn't canon.
@ZioRen

I get what you're saying and it's fair enough. People are free to speculate on whatever they want, official or not. It is just my personal caution as a Reylo shipper and I prefer to go with stuff I know to be official canon. We are a wonderfully diverse bunch on this forum and that's great, but there are occasions when it can become a bit of an echo chamber. I want to be sure I'm not leading myself up the garden path whenever possible which is why I try to keep my Reylo expectations modest. I'm a Star Wars fan first and foremost and I don't want to get to a point where I can't see the wood for the trees, so to speak. What I saw in TFA convinced me that some form of Reylo was on the cards and it is good to know that others saw it too. But I wouldn't personally give any extra weight or credence in favour of Reylo to anything that has no bearing on the future direction of the movies.

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Tue 11 Oct 2016, 9:04 pm

Ok, lets lighten up the mood a bit. Tiny Reylo recreated possible scenes from VIII based on MSW spoilers. You cna find much more in the link below, trully terrific stuff. This is a sample:

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors - 10 - Page 40 CuiB47bVIAA9VCR

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors - 10 - Page 40 CmkNLD2UkAAyIu4

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors - 10 - Page 40 CrJk_SjVYAAFnLw

ARCHIVE: Discussion: Spoilers/Rumors - 10 - Page 40 Cqllr2iVYAA2iqm
https://twitter.com/TinyReylo
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen Tue 11 Oct 2016, 9:07 pm

@Mrs Ben Solo

I was agreeing with you, actually! And expanding on it, but maybe not well. I've got a bit of insomnia right now and might be typing weird stuff. Laughing
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Tue 11 Oct 2016, 9:08 pm

@vaderito fantastic idea about lightning the mood, and you picked an absolutely stunning way to do it. LOVE those!!! bounce cheers
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Tue 11 Oct 2016, 9:09 pm

IoJovi wrote:@vaderito fantastic idea about lightning the mood, and you picked an absolutely stunning way to do it.  LOVE those!!!  bounce cheers
@IoJovi

TinyReylo is sensational. Photos on her site are top notch and they really do look like scenes from the movie that aren't out of realm of possibility based on what we know.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Tue 11 Oct 2016, 9:13 pm

vaderito wrote:
@Little_Boots

@vaderito
Indeed, and don't let anybody directly or indirectly guilt-trip you into feeling bad either. You didn't say anything wrong. Some of the posts on other pages were making me pretty uncomfortable too because it felt as though if I didn't agree I was going to be labeled in some way "racist" or prejudiced.

-------

http://reylo.skyforum.net/viewtopic.forum?t=437

Last edited by FrolickingFizzgig on Tue 11 Oct 2016, 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 40 of 40 Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40