Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

+35
MissG
BenRey
IoJovi
Kylo Ren
Libra Vibora
Xylo Ren
snufkin
MyOnlyHope
Search Your Feelings
Kalianah
rey09
Darth Rowan
BastilaBey
Sforza
panki
Darth Dingbat
spacebaby45678
Saracene
vaderito
Little_Boots
Rimfaxe96
AnneNeville
Mana
FrolickingFizzgig
MissHarper
Airemyn
ISeeAnIsland
Darth Dementor
Reynak
Kessel
Reylo Lemon
CienaRee
MoonFyre
Rogue Rey
Force22
39 posters

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends! - Page 5 Empty Re: Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

Post by Xylo Ren Sat 02 Apr 2016, 6:50 pm

vaderito wrote:Movie and Daisy repeated word friends so many times that one has to have some completely unrelated agenda in order to block all that.

Most important thing in Rey's life is her awakening. And the movie made sure Finn was not in those scenes. They were all with Kylo and played with progressive level of intimacy. First she meets Vision!KYlo who breaks the fourth wall. He stares at her from close distance but still a distance. next, on Takodana, Kylo comes much closer to her and finally bridal carries her. But his mask still limits intimacy. Next, Kylo unmasks and comes very close to Rey's face including infamous subliminal message moment when their lips briefly line up as if in a kiss. They read each others thoughts, and stare into each other's eyes a lot. That's tons of intimacy. Finally, we get Snow Fight aka Lightsaber Lovin' where choker shot of their ecstatic faces presents the climax of their intimacy.

Not a single scene between Rey and Finn can match the above. Their relationship has been breezy from the start without tension that's typical for male and female who are attracted to one another and fear rejection. OTOH, Rey and Kylo are bursting with UST. The movie is obviously really bent on underlining the difference between these two relationships, how Rey feels about either man and how they feel and act towards her.

To me, the biggest giveaway that they are only friends and will be only friends is that their scenes weren't shot as intimate while Rey and Kylo scenes were and intensely so. Interrogation even had the sound of heartbeat. I mean, c'mon. You don't use heartbeat in scenes with friends or cousins.

Agreed! Especially with the bolded. I actually hadn't noticed that until someone brought it up, but it's true. Finn is not involved in any of her awakening scenes.

If they really wanted to make parallels between them and Han/Leia, they would have him snipe back at her in the early scenes such as "Stop holding my hand!" and "Get off!" to create some friction and sparks. [/quote]

Exactly! They have no back and forth banter. There was also an interesting quote from Boyega on Instagram about how the "Get off" thing of him leaning on her forehead was a "fun idea" that JJ had and he took it and ran with it. JJ told him to do that, which is just encouraging to me because he was literally involved in every detail.  rabbit

So, no, they are not going to be the endgame cause there's nothing in the story to support it, nothing in film language to support it and we are beaten over the head with word "friends" in the movie, deleted scenes and DR interviews. They won't go from friends to romance. They are not Will and Elizabeth of POTC, for example, where set up was for romance from first scene. They were never friends. Finnrey are 100% friends because any romantic tension is absolutely absent from their scenes both narratively (clicked within 3 seconds, no obstacles not even obligatory poor/rich, she wasn't even angry with him when he confessed - a moment that should have earned some tension but didn't, etc) and as film language (all scenes filmed matter of fact, nothing stands out from cinematography and camera angle POV, no choker shots for emphasizing intimacy).

There's no reason for Reylos to be so cautious about Reylo expectations. Reylo's the endgame. There may be another endgame (FinnTran) but Reylo is one.

P.S. This isn't mean to be the endgame?

Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends! - Page 5 Tumblr_o4vlbl7vH01rp4uy8o1_250

Riiight. Believe, people. Believe.[/quote]

My jaw dropped when I first saw that gif. I know gifs can be deceptive but I mean, come onnnnnn
Xylo Ren
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends! - Page 5 Empty Re: Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

Post by Xylo Ren Sat 02 Apr 2016, 7:00 pm

I also wanted to mention something else here. It hasn't been brought up  in a while, but the Force Awakens poster is HUGE. I have it in my room and I caught myself staring at it again this morning. Rey's in the middle of course. Ren is the biggest face of all, even though he's in the back. They're both looking the same way, their weapons line up, as has been discussed. However something I noticed that I don't remember reading about is Finn- Rey and Ren are facing the same way and look like they're "fighting for the same team" while Finn is behind her. She has her back to him. Before seeing the movie, I thought Finn would be the jedi. Then I remembered how they kept her dueling Ren in the mystery box. If I were going to make romantic leads in a movie, I wouldn't juxtapose them the way they have Rey and Finn. It's not even like they're back-to-back. He doesn't look like a romantic lead based on where he is on the poster, that's what I'm trying to say.

Another thing that tilted the scale against FinnRey as romantic for me (other than everything I saw in their interactions) was a discussion I saw somewhere comparing his make up/appearance to Kylo's. Finn is sweaty for the first like, 5 scenes in the film to the point where it was distracting, at least for me and the people I saw the film with. With Kylo, they went through efforts to make him look extremely attractive, from eye liner and make up to camera angles, to hair hair haiiiiir. Yes, Kylo sweats at the end in the snow but with the wind blowing in his hair, it's not a "grossness" factor. I know people will find both actors attractive/unattractive no matter what, but I think it is telling how much effort they went through to make Kylo Ren look sexy af.
Xylo Ren
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by Xylo Ren Sat 02 Apr 2016, 7:45 pm

I think anyone that thinks Rey and Finn might be endgame even after a Reylo tease, or part of his redemption, just needs to consider which story they believe the film makers are going to tell. Do you believe Grey Jedi is end game? I do, given all the evidence pointing to it, PLUS the gray poem in the novel and on the home page of this forum!

Can you see Grey Jedi Ren and Rey if Rey is in love with Finn? Ben's a third wheel? Does Finn become a Grey Jedi too, even though he doesn't show much "darkness" like Rey?

Grey Jedi and FinnRey is not plausible to me. It's just not. Even if the three of them somehow become grey jedi together (which I don't see Finn becoming one). If Grey Jedi is end game, then some degree of Reylo has to be. There's no way those two can be Grey Jedi together platonically with all that sexual tension, while she hooks up with Finn.

It wouldn't be believable for Ren to just hide his feelings and "be okay" with Rey and Finn. It wouldn't work.
Xylo Ren
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Search Your Feelings Sat 02 Apr 2016, 7:50 pm

Finn and Rey are super awesome as friends/family surrogates.  
Reasons why Finn and Rey wouldn't be the greatest romantic couple:
(Can't remember the exact quotes)

"...and the door!" - Finn
"It was luck!" - Rey
(Why didn't Rey tell him she closed the doors on the Rathtar?  Humbleness?  No time to explain?  Script humour? Was it because she used her special "instincts" (aka the force) and she knew it was something different than the average joe's instincts but couldn't explain it herself?  I don't know but that always stood out as strange to me.")

"How did you escape?" - Finn
"You wouldn't believe it if I told you." - Rey (Of course at this point, she was still processing what she did and that she has special powers but this could be a phrase she would keep using to have to explain to someone non FS)

Unless Finn discovers he's Force Sensitive in Ep8/9, there is a strong possibility that Rey wouldn't be 100% happy and fulfilled being in a romantic relationship with someone who wouldn't understand what the force is or what she's going through (a lighter version of Han Solo and Ben Solo).  

I think it's about time for a FS/FS in SW.  They've never had that before in the movies.
Search Your Feelings
Search Your Feelings
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Sat 02 Apr 2016, 8:49 pm

You don't choose who you love. It happens or doesn't. So all the talk about who deserves whom...that's not how love/romance/sexual attraction work.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AnneNeville Sat 02 Apr 2016, 8:51 pm

@vaderito True enough! Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes from Phantom by Susan Kay: "None of us can choose where we shall love."
AnneNeville
AnneNeville
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Sat 02 Apr 2016, 9:13 pm

Exactly. The appeal of romance has always been uncontrolled emotions, against reason. Love isn't about logic and calculation. What some propose for Rey is not love. It's this type of scenario:

"Do you love him?"

"He deserves me cause he came back for me and was my first real friend."

" Do you love him?

"We have such uncomplicated, tension-free, healthy relationship"

"Do you love him?"

"Little girls can learn from us"

"But do you love him?"

"I adore him already, he gave me his jacket for like 5 minutes"

"But do you love him?"

vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Tue 05 Apr 2016, 3:46 am

I actually don't dislike Finnrey. It's true, it wouldn't be the most exciting romance ever, but John and Daisy do have a genuine rapport and chemistry, which is more than I could say for the majority of the blockbuster romances I sat through. If Kylo was portrayed as a stock-standard, just plain evil villain, I'd have no problem cheering for Rey and Finn. But when there's a romantic potential that's about 1000 x times more compelling than an uncomplicated, sweet friends-to-lovers scenario, hell yeah I'd rather have that. It's all about comparison.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Little_Boots Tue 05 Apr 2016, 4:19 am

Saracene wrote:I actually don't dislike Finnrey. It's true, it wouldn't be the most exciting romance ever, but John and Daisy do have a genuine rapport and chemistry, which is more than I could say for the majority of the blockbuster romances I sat through. If Kylo was portrayed as a stock-standard, just plain evil villain, I'd have no problem cheering for Rey and Finn. But when there's a romantic potential that's about 1000 x times more compelling than an uncomplicated, sweet friends-to-lovers scenario, hell yeah I'd rather have that. It's all about comparison.
@Saracene

True, and there is a lot to compare in this film. We have interrogation scenes, Hux and Kylo, saber fights and we have Finn and Kylo. Two young men infatuated with the same chick. Kylo 100% for me. I think that was the idea with the film although some people outside here don't want to accept it and that's sad they are missing out on a lot.
Little_Boots
Little_Boots
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Tue 05 Apr 2016, 9:15 am

Thought we needed these quotes here:

"Our families [John and Daisy's] are very close, and that's become an important thing in our lives. Which is funny seeing that we were both playing things that happened around families, in Episode VII. We find our families."
> Rey and Finn, both children who've lost their families, forge a familial connection with unrelated people.

"[Like Rey] I get attached to people. Because the course of the film is like two days. Rey and Finn. BFFs. Rey and Han. Rey and Chewie. BBFs. Her and Leia, first time they meet. Hug, hug, hug."
> According to Daisy, Rey and Finn are "best-friends-forever".
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Little_Boots Tue 05 Apr 2016, 7:42 pm

Finn and Rey are doomed. Cut print moving on
Little_Boots
Little_Boots
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Mon 11 Apr 2016, 1:59 pm

AppleCrumble122 wrote:
FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
Little_Boots wrote:Can anyone think of another film where characters like these two did not end as end game? Besides Luke and Leia?
Naruto and Sakura from Naruto as well. Another case of best friends working toward a common goal. Naruto had a crush on Sakura for years, but she was always in love with Sasuke, the missing-link in their trio, the companion who lost his way in the name of revenge and essentially turned to the "Dark Side". Meanwhile, the quiet, shy Hinata was in love with Naruto, and they ended up getting together at the end, while Sakura married Sasuke after a long redemption story.

Naruto's a manga/anime though. *sigh* Naruto... I don't think I've ever seen a pairing war that vicious before - yes even Harry Potter pales in comparison - and I say that as a former fan who quietly liked NaruSaku. So much so that it just destroyed my love for it, among other things. I left that fandom years before it ended and never looked back. I just hope Star Wars doesn't follow suit.

But since we're on the topic of TV - wouldn't Buffy and Xander be an example? I mean Xander clearly had a crush on Buffy for the first two seasons before getting with Cordelia, while Buffy had her passionate romance with Angel. Their relationship evolved into a platonic one in the later seasons, with Buffy having yet another dark, passionate affair with Spike and Xander is with Anya. Also this might not be a good comparison since they never show any romantic interest in each other, but the platonic friendship between Mary Crawley and Tom Branson in Downton Abbey is so sweet it hurts. For me, that's the most purest and most beautiful platonic friendship between a straight man and a straight woman ever, because they have no romantic interest in each other yet they trust and respect one another as equals.  
@AppleCrumble122
Bringing up an old comment. I don't really see how Naruto being a manga makes it any less comparable to a book or a film. Same target-audience and general genre as Harry Potter and Star Wars, same air of optimism and idealism. They all follow practically identical generational formulas, all are modern fairytales, all long-running children's fantasy series.

Medium is actually extremely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. The tried-and-true formulas are going to be found across cultural boundaries and mediums, from books to TV shows to films to video games. Children's storytelling in itself is always the same.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Apr 2016, 2:03 pm

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
AppleCrumble122 wrote:
FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
Little_Boots wrote:Can anyone think of another film where characters like these two did not end as end game? Besides Luke and Leia?
Naruto and Sakura from Naruto as well. Another case of best friends working toward a common goal. Naruto had a crush on Sakura for years, but she was always in love with Sasuke, the missing-link in their trio, the companion who lost his way in the name of revenge and essentially turned to the "Dark Side". Meanwhile, the quiet, shy Hinata was in love with Naruto, and they ended up getting together at the end, while Sakura married Sasuke after a long redemption story.

Naruto's a manga/anime though. *sigh* Naruto... I don't think I've ever seen a pairing war that vicious before - yes even Harry Potter pales in comparison - and I say that as a former fan who quietly liked NaruSaku. So much so that it just destroyed my love for it, among other things. I left that fandom years before it ended and never looked back. I just hope Star Wars doesn't follow suit.

But since we're on the topic of TV - wouldn't Buffy and Xander be an example? I mean Xander clearly had a crush on Buffy for the first two seasons before getting with Cordelia, while Buffy had her passionate romance with Angel. Their relationship evolved into a platonic one in the later seasons, with Buffy having yet another dark, passionate affair with Spike and Xander is with Anya. Also this might not be a good comparison since they never show any romantic interest in each other, but the platonic friendship between Mary Crawley and Tom Branson in Downton Abbey is so sweet it hurts. For me, that's the most purest and most beautiful platonic friendship between a straight man and a straight woman ever, because they have no romantic interest in each other yet they trust and respect one another as equals.  
@AppleCrumble122
Bringing up an old comment. I don't really see how Naruto being a manga makes it any less comparable to a book or a film. Same target-audience and general genre as Harry Potter and Star Wars, same air of optimism and idealism. They all follow practically identical generational formulas, all are modern fairytales, all long-running children's fantasy series.

Medium is actually extremely irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. The tried-and-true formulas are going to be found across cultural boundaries and mediums, from books to TV shows to films to video games. Children's storytelling in itself is always the same.
@FrolickingFizzgig

You're right and I know Smile. It's just the question asked for films and my mind was probably in a just trying to compare films specifically mode. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Mon 11 Apr 2016, 2:44 pm

AppleCrumble122 wrote:
FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
AppleCrumble122 wrote:
FrolickingFizzgig wrote:

@AppleCrumble122

@FrolickingFizzgig

You're right and I know Smile. It's just the question asked for films and my mind was probably in a just trying to compare films specifically mode. Wink
@AppleCrumble122
Right, that makes sense. Film storytelling is definitely unique in execution, just like all mediums.

FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Apr 2016, 2:50 pm

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:Right, that makes sense. Film storytelling is definitely unique in execution, just like all mediums.
@FrolickingFizzgig

While we're on the subject though - can you think of any other films where the good guy type of hero didn't end up with the main girl? Nothing jumps out at me atm. Platonic friendships between a straight man and a straight woman so rare in movies, especially Hollywood ones.

Back to top Go down

Post by Little_Boots Mon 11 Apr 2016, 2:54 pm

AppleCrumble122 wrote:
FrolickingFizzgig wrote:Right, that makes sense. Film storytelling is definitely unique in execution, just like all mediums.
@FrolickingFizzgig

While we're on the subject though - can you think of any other films where the good guy type of hero didn't end up with the main girl? Nothing jumps out at me atm. Platonic friendships between a straight man and a straight woman so rare in movies, especially Hollywood ones.
@AppleCrumble122

Good question! However Rey isn't typical female in distress and Kylo isn't a full on mustache twirler. I'm trying to think of films were that happens. One that springs to mind is Grease? Lol Danny and Sandy. Danny wasn't the good guy really, was he? 0_o
Little_Boots
Little_Boots
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon 11 Apr 2016, 3:02 pm

Little_Boots wrote:
AppleCrumble122 wrote:
@FrolickingFizzgig

@AppleCrumble122

Good question! However Rey isn't typical female in distress and Kylo isn't a full on mustache twirler. I'm trying to think of films were that happens. One that springs to mind is Grease? Lol Danny and Sandy. Danny wasn't the good guy really, was he? 0_o
@Little_Boots

I have a bit of a confession to make: I've never seen Grease! Shy But I meant films with heroes and heroines like Finn and Rey, which is why I said "the good guy type of hero". Wink.

But ooh I just thought of one: Kirk and Uhura from Star Trek 2009. That's a great example as Kirk (as the main hero) clearly is attracted to Uhura throughout the movie, yet Uhura (the main and only girl) falls for his future best friend Spock (second main hero). The two go on to have a good friendship and mutual respect with each other in Star Trek: Into Darkness as Uhura condoles him after Pike's death and they talk about their frustrations with Spock to each other. I hope we see more of their friendship in Star Trek Beyond.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue Rey Mon 11 Apr 2016, 3:08 pm

AppleCrumble122 wrote:
@FrolickingFizzgig

@AppleCrumble122

Mad Max: Fury Road. Max and Furiosa don't get it together at the end - he's the good guy, she's the main girl.

Not really the same but:

Aragon & Eowyn in The Lord of the Rings - he's the good guy, I guess she could be classed as the main girl (because they're thin on the ground in it) and she displays romantic interest in him, but they remain platonic.

Legolas & Tauriel in The Hobbit (I know she's a made up character + neither are in the book, but if you go with the film) - he's one of the main good guys, she's one of the main girls. He seems interested in her, but she's not interested in him so they remain platonic.
Rogue Rey
Rogue Rey
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by AnneNeville Mon 11 Apr 2016, 3:08 pm

I always hated Grease. Smile
AnneNeville
AnneNeville
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Little_Boots Mon 11 Apr 2016, 3:09 pm

Go Grease lightning!!! Lol
Little_Boots
Little_Boots
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next