Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

+35
MissG
BenRey
IoJovi
Kylo Ren
Libra Vibora
Xylo Ren
snufkin
MyOnlyHope
Search Your Feelings
Kalianah
rey09
Darth Rowan
BastilaBey
Sforza
panki
Darth Dingbat
spacebaby45678
Saracene
vaderito
Little_Boots
Rimfaxe96
AnneNeville
Mana
FrolickingFizzgig
MissHarper
Airemyn
ISeeAnIsland
Darth Dementor
Reynak
Kessel
Reylo Lemon
CienaRee
MoonFyre
Rogue Rey
Force22
39 posters

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends! - Page 4 Empty Re: Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

Post by ISeeAnIsland Fri 01 Apr 2016, 12:10 pm

I wonder if the recent statements talking about how great KMT is (and I do hope that she's great--I think she's adorable) are more of the "damage control" steps that it seems like we've been seeing lately, as a way of setting the expectations of the FinnRey/Rey Skywalker crowd.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends! - Page 4 Empty Re: Why Finn and Rey are an awesome duo, of friends!

Post by vaderito Fri 01 Apr 2016, 12:48 pm

@Force22 Exactly. Some men ship Finnrey as a really thinly veiled attempt to dispute Rey as a sole main protagonist. Finnrey = shared leadership. Which is not what the movie is about. hence taking offense that Finn will headline Plot B while Rey will headline plot A. They are trying to headcanon him into plot A even though TFA kicked him out of it at any opportunity it got (Takodana, Snow Fight). Plot A is Rey as a FS that largely revolves around her relationship with Kylo). Finn has no business in that plot just like Rey has no business in any Storm trooper-related plot or even some resistance plots. She isn't the part of the resistance but sorta their messenger to their perceived savior Luke. It's different plotting altogether.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Fri 01 Apr 2016, 1:21 pm

Force22 wrote:vaderito It's true! Some people still get offended when people predict Finn will head plot B.
Well duh, I mean, do they want to call the plots A1 and A2?

And that is the kind of mentality that believes FinnRey is obvious. Yes, it would be obvious, and a very likely outcome, with Finn as protagonist. He isn't.

And I think the Reylo fans who still think there's a FinnRey chance need to shake off years of male centric movies.

Still, if anyone can imagine a scenario where Rey is still the protagonist (above Finn) and a relationship between her and Finn makes sense, I'd love to read it.

Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel Fri 01 Apr 2016, 1:49 pm

That's the thing. A lot of people who really want a Rey and Finn romance (rather than a deep friendship based on trust and teamwork) also want the ST to look like every other predictable, blockbuster, action flick:

Good guys vs. bad guys,
Cool fight,
Good guys win,
Good guy gets the girl,
The end.
Kessel
Kessel

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Fri 01 Apr 2016, 2:03 pm

Kessel89 wrote:That's the thing. A lot of people who really want a Rey and Finn romance (rather than a deep friendship based on trust and teamwork) also want the ST to look like every other predictable, blockbuster, action flick:

Good guys vs. bad guys,
Cool fight,
Good guys win,
Good guy gets the girl,
The end.

exactly. you don't see romance until last 30 seconds when the good guy kisses his well deserved trophy (good girl). No wonder those fans throw words "Finn deserves Rey" a lot. That's Trophy Sexism aka Trophy-ism right there.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey Fri 01 Apr 2016, 3:58 pm

Could someone help me out with something? I'm a little confused as to why there's still quite a bit of discussion around Finn and Rey as a potential couple with KMT coming in the picture. Is it just a rumor that she's playing a potential LI for Finn? I saw what John said about her the other day and it's clear they're going to share a storyline. So where do people who were so sure Rey and Finn were a thing see their relationship going now, maybe a love triangle?

Eta: @vaderito people really say that? The idea of someone 'deserving' anyone else's affections is a little gross.
BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat Fri 01 Apr 2016, 4:01 pm

BastilaBey wrote:Could someone help me out with something? I'm a little confused as to why there's still quite a bit of discussion around Finn and Rey as a potential couple with KMT coming in the picture. Is it just a rumor that she's playing a potential LI for Finn? I saw what John said about her the other day and it's clear they're going to share a storyline. So where do people who were so sure Rey and Finn were a thing see their relationship going now, maybe a love triangle?

Honestly, I think they're still sure that KMT's character is going to be very minor, and only a friend to Finn. A lot of them (especially on Reddit, I don't know about that other place) also seem to be convinced that KMT is playing some kind of an alien. Which is weird, considering that the girl on the space horse looked very much human.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Fri 01 Apr 2016, 4:06 pm

Darth Dingbat wrote:
BastilaBey wrote:Could someone help me out with something? I'm a little confused as to why there's still quite a bit of discussion around Finn and Rey as a potential couple with KMT coming in the picture. Is it just a rumor that she's playing a potential LI for Finn? I saw what John said about her the other day and it's clear they're going to share a storyline. So where do people who were so sure Rey and Finn were a thing see their relationship going now, maybe a love triangle?

Honestly, I think they're still sure that KMT's character is going to be very minor, and only a friend to Finn. A lot of them (especially on Reddit, I don't know about that other place) also seem to be convinced that KMT is playing some kind of an alien. Which is weird, considering that the girl on the space horse looked very much human.

The people who think that KMT is going to play an alien are probably the same people who still think that was Rey on the Space Horse with Finn.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat Fri 01 Apr 2016, 4:08 pm

ISeeAnIsland wrote:
Darth Dingbat wrote:

The people who think that KMT is going to play an alien are probably the same people who still think that was Rey on the Space Horse with Finn.

Yes. Not to mention totally blind to their own prejudice...
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Airemyn Fri 01 Apr 2016, 4:13 pm

Hi all, I've edited quite a few posts in this thread talking about other shipping communities - can we please try to stick to the topic and talk about Rey and Finn's friendship? Thanks! Thumbs up
Airemyn
Airemyn
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Fri 01 Apr 2016, 5:38 pm

Eta: vaderito people really say that? The idea of someone 'deserving' anyone else's affections is a little gross.

The whole concept of Finn and Rey romance and why Rey must not be with Kylo revolves around "Finn deserves her". They say it exactly like that. He deserves her. He came back for her therefore he deserves her. If she can't be with him she must be alone. You probably had those posts on Ignore but they are prevalent on Finn and Rey forums.

As for KMT, they are buying the rumor about "reduced" role which is obviously misinformation. Dern role doesn't seem reduced either.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AnneNeville Sat 02 Apr 2016, 8:35 am

Genre confusion at it's finest. :-)
AnneNeville
AnneNeville
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Rowan Sat 02 Apr 2016, 9:22 am

I wanted to share my thoughts on the bond between Rey and Finn, adapted from my post on the matter at another place.

We've all heard the "Finnzoned" and "Friendzoned Finn" jokes. I actually don't believe that Rey friendzoned Finn. I think that the story itself "familyzoned" both Finn and Rey to each other. (By the way, I use the term "familyzoned" not as a shot at supporters of the FinnRey ship, but rather because it describes perfectly what to me has occurred between Rey and Finn, and also because I like it.)

While I do believe that in the beginning there were a few moments of light flirtation on the part of *both* of them (not just Finn), by the end of TFA all the tension and spark between them has been zapped and replaced by a very comfortable and lived-in dynamic that feels familial to me more than anything else.

The much discussed forehead kiss was to me very tender and sincere. Even if Rey hadn't said "my friend" at the end I wouldn't have taken it as an indication of romantic attraction, but of uncomplicated love like one has for a family member or a close friend. Honestly, I kiss my grandma's forehead and my dog's forehead, the two beings that I love with most uncomplicated tenderness at this point in my life. A forehead kiss is as generic an expression of true affection as anything else. I've seen the argument that Rey could not have kissed Finn's lips while he was in a coma, and I obviously agree. But even a kiss on the cheek (especially without "my friend") could have been indicative of romantic/sexual interest in that instance, and they chose not to go there. To me, they are sending a message to let us know where things stand between these two.

I say that Finn and Rey were familyzoned because of how things progress between them over the course of TFA, bust mostly because of this: Rey is waiting for her family and they never come back for her. But who does? Finn. Her new family. It was a very powerful moment, that hug at SK base that needed to be broken by Han ("Escape now, hug later.") Hugs are therapeutic, very necessary, and I can't imagine that either Finn or Rey, who have grown up as orphans, have been hugged like that (or maybe at all, waah) since they've been apart from their family. In every sense that hug was a homecoming. I think they are family now and will always have each other's back, and I love that. <3

I love Finn's character, though I'm not happy with how he was handled (here's hoping that will be remedied in VIII). I agree with those who think that Finn and Rey's bond is part of the heart of TFA, one of several powerful human dynamics that made Episode VII capture hearts as well as imaginations.

I have no doubt that their relationship will continue to be important and will be one of the anchors that keeps the ST grounded in the human, lest we get too caught up with the awesomeness of spaceships and space horses and lose sight of the heart of the saga: people and people's connections to each other.
Darth Rowan
Darth Rowan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Airemyn Sat 02 Apr 2016, 9:31 am

@Darth Rowan that was beautiful and I completely agree. Rey needs a family and Finn can help fulfill that need - and vice versa. I think there was a reason why they are both alone at the beginning of TFA and found each other. It doesn't have to be for romance at all.

I don't see how their relationship could interfere with Reylo, especially as it seems that Finn might be getting a LI in the next film. I think Finn's opinion of Ben could change over time anyway, at the same time as the majority of the audience.
Airemyn
Airemyn
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Sat 02 Apr 2016, 9:37 am

At this moment, Rey and Ren awakened sexually to each other but sexual awakening and being ready for romance are two different things. Both have unresolved family situation (abandonment) on top of unresolved sexual tension. One has to be resolved first to proceed to resolving another.

OTOH, Finn doesn't have unresolved family situation (FO was his family whom he left willingly) so falling in love with Tran is logical next step. He is ready for romance. Other 2 aren't yet although Ren thinks he's ready.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 Sat 02 Apr 2016, 9:40 am

I agree the whole deserving thing is bleh and it really does reflect the idea that just because a guy is nice and everything, she should get with him. I feel that many guys feel entitled to a girl because they are nice. If they don't like him even after being nice, she's made out to be selfish and ungrateful. And if she does go for the "bad boy" it makes her look even worse. What people also fail to see is that Rey would be with Ben, not Kylo, and Ben wouldn't be a bad boy, just a good guy with dark past. Not the same thing. I think that many guys actually act "meaner" at times because they know girls have a thing for the bad boy types.

What I'm thinking actually is that the bad boy vs good boy essentially doesn't mean anything at the end of the day. It depends on who the girl just connects most with on an emotional level. It could be the good or bad buy. Depends on their experiences etc. While all three are broken from their families, Rey and Kylo have felt abandonment, Finn though was not abandoned. He was torn away from them against his will. And of course, the big one, the fore sensitivity. That is so huge. We've said this many times in the past, but Finn is never there when she displays her powers. He has no idea about any of that. The Force Awakens, yet Finn is totally clueless about it!! Kylo on the other hand, is scared as hell of her, knows she's dangerous. He knows her potential. One guy has no idea, the other guys understands it all, more than she even does!  

I was actually telling my 14 brother yesterday (after we played with our new lightsabers tongue) reylo theory, he was like yea...I think it's going to be FinnRey. I didn't ask why because I was too annoyed loll and just ignored. But yeah I do think the main reason for FinnRey is the obvious male protag thing. It's what you see in every movie. Finn showed interest in her, and she played "hard to get" so by typical movie standards, one would see they would end up together eventually. And no one is going to see the father killer get with the hero based on that either. But as @force22 said, Rey is not interested in romance. TFA is not about that. We reylo-ers have just picked up on foreshadowing of a potential romance in the future. Reylo is extremely subtle in TFA. Even talking about the music makes us sound like lunatics (altho when I showed my brother the music stuff, he was pretty shocked -- he's like they sound so alike!! So yeah at least he bought that). Sadly many won't because they just don't see the symbolism.

rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalianah Sat 02 Apr 2016, 9:51 am

Force22 wrote:I don't think Finn is as much a protagonist as Rey, but even if we say he is, they are in equality, so the story cannot be about Finn finally getting Rey, cause it would reduce her to his love interest.

Hm, so I think the idea behind the new movies is more...whole, well rounded, than 'who is the real protagonist'. Because even George mentioned that to some extent the OT could really be seen as a story told through the eyes of the droids. Finn is going to really come into his own in Ep 8 - the man who was motivated 'primarily by fear' as John put it, into a soldier and leader with a cause - the Resistance. I think the idea that KMT would be paired off with him (even in just a practical/unromantic way) would make sense. He's going to need someone there with him to build his story (and as much as we love Poe, who the heck still knows what his role is going to be in Ep8).

That being said, I wholeheartedly agree that putting them 'together' romantically would be very marginalizing in that respect - but they still had to build that solid friendship in Ep7 because I think it will really come into play once she starts...mmm, possibly flirting with the dark side? =D

Darth Rowan wrote:I say that Finn and Rey were familyzoned because of how things progress between them over the course of TFA, bust mostly because of this: Rey is waiting for her family and they never come back for her. But who does? Finn. Her new family. It was a very powerful moment, that hug at SK base that needed to be broken by Han ("Escape now, hug later.") Hugs are therapeutic, very necessary, and I can't imagine that either Finn or Rey, who have grown up as orphans, have been hugged like that (or maybe at all, waah) since they've been apart from their family. In every sense that hug was a homecoming. I think they are family now and will always have each other's back, and I love that. <3

I really enjoyed the story of TFA in that respect, that the entire time Rey was searching for her family (or waiting for them), when Finn/BB-8 kind of stumbled into her life and disrupted it. Even with Beebee, she didn't want him around for more than a day 'in the morning you go', but then she clearly kept him around for the rest of the day - took him with her to scavenge, etc. The whole subplot was her kind of discovering all these people and realizing that a family can be more than just blood and people who dropped you off with no memories.

Han, Finn, BB-8, even Maz, Leia, Chewie, etc. - she was introduced and brought into the fold, so to speak. We see it through her need for things. Finn didn't seem to need them, as again he was motivated primarily through fear. But when she gets taken, he realizes how important she is to him - as family. She has become his family, and you can't leave them behind. Would anyone else have forced the Resistance to mount a rescue mission for Rey? Who knows, but Finn did and then Chewie gave him props for it - cementing that thought into the viewers' minds.

They're family, you're absolutely right - and because they bonded in TFA, when they're separated with different storylines in Ep8 (probably) they will continue to serve as the emotional backbone and thread that runs through the story. Rey to Kylo/Luke (the family/Force drama) and Finn to Leia/Resistance (the political drama).

I love them so much, but nothing hits as romantic to me - nor has it ever, with them.
Kalianah
Kalianah
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

http://reylosource.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Rowan Sat 02 Apr 2016, 10:02 am

Airemyn wrote:@Darth Rowan that was beautiful and I completely agree. Rey needs a family and Finn can help fulfill that need - and vice versa. I think there was a reason why they are both alone at the beginning of TFA and found each other. It doesn't have to be for romance at all.

I don't see how their relationship could interfere with Reylo, especially as it seems that Finn might be getting a LI in the next film. I think Finn's opinion of Ben could change over time anyway, at the same time as the majority of the audience.

Thanks, @Airemyn, and I think that is a very good question: could Finn and Rey's familial bond affect Reylo? I think it can, but not in terms of preventing it from happening. More like creating tension between the characters, because Finn won't have the insight into Ren that we expect Rey will eventually gain, and I imagine he wouldn't be happy about Reylo even as (or especially as) a surrogate brother to Rey.

Right now, to me Rey is basically a counterfeit Ben Solo. She has slipped into his life and taken on his role. Leia hugs her like a mother, she sits in Ben's seat on the Millennium Falcon with Chewie as co-pilot, she goes off to train with uncle Luke as Ben once did. From this perspective, Rey will gain a unique insight into Ben Solo, because she is essentially retracing all of his steps. She'll also hear all about him from the people who loved and knew him best. We can guess she will be tempted by the dark side as Ben Solo once was, and will understand the challenges of navigating Force Sensitivity and see where he failed and understand it. If there is a Force bond, forget about it: nobody will have as much understanding of Ben Solo/Kylo Ren as Rey, imo. For that reason it's only natural that she may come to have compassion for him, and eventually may grow to love him. But Finn? Will he understand that?

Off topic, but this is part of the reason why I think that if Reylo is canon Ren and Rey will need to leave their old lives behind in the end. Just like in Biblical terms a man and a woman leave their mother and father (family) behind to join in marriage, so Kylo and Rey will likely leave Leia and Finn behind to go in their quest for Grey Jedi-dom, imo. I would love that ending. n_n

Edit:
@Force22, I agree that Kylo's hurting Finn is an obstacle to some extent, but he didn't kill him, and he SO could have. There is a chance. XD
Darth Rowan
Darth Rowan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Sat 02 Apr 2016, 10:37 am

@Darth Rowan

Right now, to me Rey is basically a counterfeit Ben Solo. She has slipped into his life and taken on his role. Leia hugs her like a mother, she sits in Ben's seat on the Millennium Falcon with Chewie as co-pilot, she goes off to train with uncle Luke as Ben once did. From this perspective, Rey will gain a unique insight into Ben Solo, because she is essentially retracing all of his steps. She'll also hear all about him from the people who loved and knew him best. We can guess she will be tempted by the dark side as Ben Solo once was, and will understand the challenges of navigating Force Sensitivity and see where he failed and understand it. If there is a Force bond, forget about it: nobody will have as much understanding of Ben Solo/Kylo Ren as Rey, imo. For that reason it's only natural that she may come to have compassion for him, and eventually may grow to love him.

Yes, this is very extraordinary and represent a relationship between Rey and Ren in its own right. They are connected without being in each other's presence since there are people and objects (MF, LS) that automatically remind of each other. TFA went into great length establishing that they cannot escape one another even if they tried. They are in each other's blood (not as cousins, ha,ha) so to speak. And the movie also made sure that Finn was removed from scenes where Rey discovers the Force. In short, Finn is her connection to ordinary, simpler life, while Ren is her connection to extraordinary, complex life. Pretty much what friendship and romance are - one is more ordinary and simple (free of tension, free of fear of rejection), the other is more extraordinary and complicated and emotional response is more intense (thus tension due to fear of rejection). They are 2 men that represent different things to Rey and their roles won't swap or merge. Since the movie and actors go into great lengths to call one of those relationships friendship and friends numerous times, I believe them that it's friendship only.

@Force22 agreed with your post about best friend in romcom type of stories who gets the girl in the end cause he deserves her. This is not one of those stories.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next