Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Jedi: General Discussion

+74
Krafty
Macha Ren
LadyHa
Blackcanary
Night Huntress
FrolickingFizzgig
cnunn
MrsWindu
Marie Ren
Armadeus
bashfulblueeyes3
Xylo Ren
Geralt_Riv
Millicent the Cat
tukicarreno
BenOrgana
adamdrivershair
Moonlight13
TheLastJedi
Kessel
darthbutterfingers
Saracene
Darth_Awakened
IoJovi
snufkin
motherofpearl1
BigDeal2187
reylo1992
Piper Maru
vaderito
tintarelladiluna
Reylo Lemon
Kylo Men
rey09
MeadowofAshes
SoloSideCousin
Cowgirlsamurai
Rei of Sunshine
DarthRen
Darth Dementor
SanghaRen
ISeeAnIsland
fuhry
ZioRen
Lucina
Kyla Ren
Birdwoman
Angel Of Iego
jakkusun
ReyofLightSide
Lily Snape
kroi
Acritiqua
Moonjump05
MoonFyre
soulluos
nemapasara
EchoBase
shii405
Tex
MindAndMagic
SheLitAFire
guardienne
Gemini
SkyStar
Helix
Mana
spacebaby45678
Irina de France
Rimfaxe96
Rogue Rey
CienaRee
panki
Darth Dingbat
78 posters

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Empty Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by motherofpearl1 Mon 17 Jul 2017, 12:48 am

snufkin wrote:IDK if the production team has outright mentioned The Searchers as an influence on TLJ, but it's there in the trailer shot of Luke in sileoutee in the doorway, like the shot of Ethan at the end. The Searchers is one of the central movies George Lucas outright referenced for the first movie (Burning Homestead) and in AotC. And John Ford was a major influence/personal hero of one of the other directors the franchise continually riffs on, Akira Kurosawa. So it's in the franchise's DNA and that shot alone in the trailer is enough to get you thinking that they may do something with Luke and Ben a la Ethan and Debbie.
@snufkin

Persephone wrote:
reylo1992 wrote:
MeadowofAshes wrote:
motherofpearl1 wrote:
MeadowofAshes wrote:
motherofpearl1 wrote:Rey's grown up in so many ways. She's accepted that the future means more than the past; she knows she's much more than a scavenger from Jakku, and she's found a family.

BUT.....regarding her 'family'...if Finn has Rose, something happens to Leia and Luke isn't what she expects what then?
It's crazy but I wonder if one of the reasons Rose's character was introduced is because Rey finds herself alone again..........like someone else.
@motherofpearl1
Which would make a joining of forces between the two at the end make sense. Ben and Rey are the outsiders, and the characters who are presented as two sides of the same coin. If Rey has her expectations of family upturned and Ben no longer fits with the FO but can't yet come home due to his crimes, they're going to need each other. The two fighting multiple guys with sticks is rather telling, IMO. But if I go further, I'm afraid I'll get carried away in headcanon, lol. I'm hoping for a surprise mid-battle heat of the moment kiss, but don't want to call that yet. Joining forces against a common enemy is what I'm comfortable saying is likely based on what we've got.
@MeadowofAshes

Yes, and I'm pretty sure that is what's going to happen.

I had this weird feeling watching Rey 'looking up' at Leia..that she's confronting her about Ben Solo's 'abandonment', hence Leia's grim look.

I think both Rey and Kylo are going to find their gods have feet of clay.
@motherofpearl1

[size=50]Yes. I wonder if even Leia's faith in Ben's light is shaken at that point, maybe even warning her that she believed her son was still light and was wrong. But Rey insists that's not the case, now alienating herself from Leia. And with that said... We had the rumor Rey ends up in captivity at the end and the statement from Daisy Rey will be emotionally hurt. This is total conjecture but Ben and Rey taking on Praetorian guards leading to Snoke only to have Ben (seemingly) turn her over to him is a possibility. It's like Snape killing Dumbledore after Rowling built up his sympathetic backstory. It risks the audience hating his guts between TLJ and IX, but it would be a bold move and a definite cliffhanger.[/size]
@MeadowofAshes

Hmm...I don't believe it would be the case. Like I wrote in one of my previous posts, I believe that this scene rather occurs by the very end of the movie because Leia looks so solitary and grim like someone who has lost everything. Plus, I indeed that Rey is neither gonna turn turn to the DS nor end up prisoner or in some near-death state. Her character was obviously not written to end up in some passive state, waiting that someone comes to deliver her.

So that's why I tend to much to believe that something terrible will most likely happen to Ben. However, I don't believe in the scenario of Ben turning good and then turning bad again because committing treason would make him only pitiful to the audience. I believe that the best way  have the audience feeling complete empathy with him is to have him becoming the FO's super weapon against his own will. The poster refers him as "the Lost" which is extremely ambiguous: lost in the sense of emotionally lost Question lost in the sense of not to be redeemed because of his crime Question or lost in the sense that he may end up in some near-death state forever Question

Leia already experienced the painful feeling to have her son committing a patricide in TFA although she thought he had still light Question What could be more tragic for her than having her son coming back to the light but ending up sort of lost forever because Snoke ultimately got what he wanted from him Question

Of cours, all these assumption are based on my theory that we will get some kind of Atlantis scenario in TLJ with Ben as Kida, being used by Snoke and the FO to get some super weapon. The fact is that the FO obviously used the money of some rich assholes of Canto Bright to build their weapon SKB to control the galaxy. Unfortunately, the SKB was destroyed, which means that the money that the rich a** gave to finance the FO was spent for nothing since SKB was used only once to destroy Hosnian Prime. So we may assume that the rich a** ain't gonna spend their money in financing another SKB. I already pointed out that the screenwriters introduced some continuity between the weapon of mass destruction: Death Star I, Death Star II, SKB. They are all terrific weapons but all got destroyed because they all had a weak point. So I guess that the FO will try to have another weapon of mass destruction but won't spend so many years constructing a weapon that would have a weak point - especially if the rich a** ain't ready to pay again for that.

So let's assume what's the point to have Snoke and the FO sending Hux there. We know that Snoke - like the rich a** - is very bling-bling. He obviously like luxurious objects and we know that he'll need this super weapon of mass destruction. We also know that he needs for some reason the financial support of the rich assholes to finance the FO activities. And we know that Crait will be the centerpiece of the battle between the FO and the Resistance and have a key role in the movie. I had never heard about Crait before because I missed the whole story during my absence of the forum.

However, we know that Crait is some salty planet whose underground is made is...red ores
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Captur65
We know from Rian that he got some inspiration from Letter Never Sent where geologists are sent to find diamonds for the Soviet Government in order to finance some weapon. Plus, providing that he got some inspiration from the Atlantis scenario, we have some potential scenario about mercenaries who are ready to make money with the Atlantis cristal - a living source of power - no matter that it endangers the survival of an entire civilization. Finally, we know from RO that the Empire used kyber cristal to power Death Star I and Death II and then that the FO used the power of the Sun to power SKB. Then, what do they need to use as the next source of power of the new weapon of mass destruction if not something "pure, strong, unbreakable" like Snoke says in TFA:?:

I find the absence of Snoke in the promotional process extremely suspicious unless it appears that he is indeed either Luke or Kylo himself for some weird reason. Plus, we are told a lot about Luke and Rey's relationship but few about Snoke and Ben's relationship. Personally, I can't imagine that Snoke has been working so hard with Ben from the whomb just to decide that he isn't worth of his attention anymore.

At a first sight, Snoke seems to represent for Kylo what Palpatine represented for Anakin: a father figure. However, I feel that their dynamic is different. Although Anakin was manipulated from a young age, Palpatine only played the role of some kind, wise but machiavelic father figure watching over him from distance. Anakin grew up with a loving motheraway from his influence in hisearly years, then developed some special bond with Obi-Wan during his Padawan training and finally found love with Padme as a Jedi Knight. Palpatine never ever considered these bonds like a threat even later when it came to Luke's compassion with his father. He always tried to manipulate relationships to his advantage but never tried to prevent emotional bonds to develop. If I should describe Palpatine and Anakin's relationship in one word, I would chose "paternalism".

However things appear completely different in regard to Snoke and Kylo's relationship. We know from the novel Aftermath that Snoke had been watching Ben even before that child was born. I don't know who is Snoke but I was always intrigued by this passage of the novel where Leia sits next to a potted flower from Endor, tries to reach out to the plant and suddently feels some dark presence within her. I have always wondered if there wasn't some callback to E.T. the Extraterrestrial there. We know from Pablo that even if Snoke is an humanoid, he is no human. He indeed looks very much like an alien. Plus, it was revealed by Spielberg that E.T. is actually a plant. We also know that Rey was supposed to see a boy accompanied with Snoke during her vision. In E.T., we get a lonely boy - hurt by the failure of his parent's marriage - who finds in an alien his only friend and develops an unexpected strong bond with him. E.T. and Elliott become at some point so bonded that their lives become interdependant as if they were one. That's why, I believe Snoke to represent much more to Ben than a father figure because he's probably become the most important part of his life in 30 years, the person who knows him the most :

"When next Snoke spoke there was an intimacy in his voice, a familiarity that stood in sharp contrast with the commanding tone he had used with Hux"

However, Snoke represents for Ben what some dark version of E.T. could have represented for Elliott: a toxic, possessive and exclusive friend. When I once mentioned Sben/Snylo for fun, some part of me was serious there. Perhaps I am wrong to think that but it seems to me that Snoke behaves with Ben like a possessive lover/friend would do. Their relationship ain't based on paternalism (like Palpatine and Anakin) but on possessiveness.

That's why, I believe that Snoke will do anything to possess Kylo at all costs and the way he talks to him is somehow...inappropriate pale
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 5xoqkf11
The way he describes their relationship in the TFA novel is extremely telling and disturbing: he considers himself like a sculptor who is working with the finest material. A few weeks ago, I watched the movie Rodin: it took 30 years for the scuptor Auguste Rodin to achieve his masterpiece called The Gates of Hell! It required time and patience to work with the material and achieved what he wanted to do with it:
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 La_pue10

So I guess that like any artist, Sboke considers the material and the product of his work as his property. That's why I can't believe that Snoke would let Ben go that easily: he has been working for thirty years so hard with that child as a material to achieve a masterpiece. And we know from Andy Serkis himself that Snoke has a huge agenda but that this agenda is limited by his vulnerability.
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Captu135
To me, it is obvious that Snoke needs Ben for very specific goal and that he is using him to achieve it. Plus, the way he is talking to him sounds to me like a sculptor who is praising his muse if not the way a guy telling a girl how much he is in love with her. I mean one could easily replace some lines of their dialogue with the lines of a guy courting a girl by telling her how beautiful and precious she is to him:
"I have never had a student with such promise - before you" sounds a little like "I have never met a girl like you before"
"I have - you" sounds a little like "you're mine" or "you belong to me"
Even the way ADF stresses before you and you with th hyphen sign looks so disturbing. Really gets the sensation to read something innaprorpriate, way too intimate.

The next passage is even worse when I think about it. Snoke's reaction to Kylo's compassion for Rey looks so similar to a jealous lover:

There was as much curiosity in Supreme Leader Snoke’s voice as there was disappointment.

“This scavenger—this girl—resisted you?”

I mean, there are two things so odd there. Why does Snoke need to stress Rey's gender telling this scavenger - this girl - as if it was an important detail for him. Plus what for is he disappointed by Kylo? Certainly not disappointed that Kylo  didn't get the map from her : he doesn't  even mention the map in the dialogue:suspect: My feeling is that he is disappointed by the reason why Kylo didn't get the map because he goes straight to this point:

Supreme Leader’s voice was flat. “You have compassion for her.”

Obviously Snoke doesn't care about the Rey's Force power. He even doesn't care about the map at this moment. He is concerned that Kylo feels compassion for her, that he may have feeling for her. Even the use of the word "flat" to describe his tone sounds so weird. I mean, this sounds like the reaction of someone who is upset that the person he "cares" has feeling for another, right  Question Then, we are reminded that their relationship is somehow intimate: Snoke knows all about Kylo since it is stressed that nobody else would have perceived what he perceives. And then, we are told how Kylo feels about Snoke's rebuke.

No one else would have sensed a difference. Snoke did.

“No—never. Compassion? For an enemy of the Order?”

“I perceive the problem,” Snoke intoned. “It isn’t her strength that is making you fail. It’s your weakness.” The rebuke hurt, but Ren didn’t show it.

And then the best for the end:

"And you promised me when it came to destroying the Resistance you wouldn't fail me."

[...]

"Kylo Ren, it appears that a reminder is in order. So I will show you the dark side. Bring the girl to me."

Seriously: if Snoke doesn't behave with Kylo like a jealous lover, I don't know what it is. I mean, he could have told him: " You promised when it came to destroying the Resistance you wouldn't fail the FO". And yet, he reminds him that Kylo promised him he wouldn't fail him personally. That sounds so much like an outraged lover who is hurt because his partner didn't keep a promise  lol! And finally, the outraged lover intends to punish his lover as well solve the problem: he asks Kylo to bring him the girl obviously for something else that for some interest in her powers as if he wanted to get rid of the potential rival.

Even if it wasn't in the movie, these lines are canon. What I believe is that Snoke won't get interested in making Rey an ally: he will probably see her as a big threat since she is what endangers his relationship and agenda with Kylo. She has already sort being set as his rival in TFA:
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Captu136
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Maxres10
However, we know from the SW databank that Kylo's allegiance has already begun to change although he told Snoke in the novel that his allegiance was only to him (interestingly not to the FO). We also know from J.J. that Ben somehow knows that Snoke is using/abusing him. Plus, we have this shot that reminds me so much of Rapunzel's rebellion against Gothel:
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Captu133
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Captu134

So my feeling is that Ben will realize what Snoke agenda is for him and try to escape this abusive relationship. So I believe in a scenario where Ben will experience some liberty during TLJ - maybe leading him to turn clearly against the FO - but  Snoke -whoever or whatever it is - will claim Ben to be his property by the end and achieve with him what he intended to do for so long. So I believe in a big dramatic and dark scenario with Snoke (and the FO) ultimately possessing Ben against his own will, getting some living source of power as achievement of the huge agenda  and thus obtaining the weapon of mass destruction in the continuity of the Death Star and SKB... and the rich assholes getting a lot of red ores from the FO as a reward they  contributed the FO's victory on Crait and to ensure their further financial support pale pale pale

In this scenario, Leia would have all the reasons to feel destroyed and the audience to feel much empathy for Ben. And let's say it: Ben looks more than ever like a  some vulnerable Prince(ss) in distress needing to be saved from something whatever it is:
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 The-la12
@reylo1992

I never thought about it this way :0 It makes complete sense! Poor Ben Sad Remember when Adam was asked if Kylo Ren/Ben would survive Ep 8 and Adam responded: "If that's what you call living." It fits together. Ep 9 would then be Prince Rey saving Princess Ben from figurative and literal possesion/curse/coma
The love triangle is not between Finn, Kylo and Rey - it's between Snoke, Kylo and Rey.
@Persephone

I can see Leia giving up on her son then....and Rey refusing to do so. Ultimately Rey will go after Kylo, not to destroy him but set him free. Maybe alone.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Empty Re: The Last Jedi: General Discussion

Post by reylo1992 Mon 17 Jul 2017, 5:08 am

motherofpearl1 wrote:
snufkin wrote:IDK if the production team has outright mentioned The Searchers as an influence on TLJ, but it's there in the trailer shot of Luke in sileoutee in the doorway, like the shot of Ethan at the end. The Searchers is one of the central movies George Lucas outright referenced for the first movie (Burning Homestead) and in AotC. And John Ford was a major influence/personal hero of one of the other directors the franchise continually riffs on, Akira Kurosawa. So it's in the franchise's DNA and that shot alone in the trailer is enough to get you thinking that they may do something with Luke and Ben a la Ethan and Debbie.
@snufkin

Persephone wrote:
reylo1992 wrote:
MeadowofAshes wrote:
motherofpearl1 wrote:
MeadowofAshes wrote:
motherofpearl1 wrote:Rey's grown up in so many ways. She's accepted that the future means more than the past; she knows she's much more than a scavenger from Jakku, and she's found a family.

BUT.....regarding her 'family'...if Finn has Rose, something happens to Leia and Luke isn't what she expects what then?
It's crazy but I wonder if one of the reasons Rose's character was introduced is because Rey finds herself alone again..........like someone else.
@motherofpearl1
Which would make a joining of forces between the two at the end make sense. Ben and Rey are the outsiders, and the characters who are presented as two sides of the same coin. If Rey has her expectations of family upturned and Ben no longer fits with the FO but can't yet come home due to his crimes, they're going to need each other. The two fighting multiple guys with sticks is rather telling, IMO. But if I go further, I'm afraid I'll get carried away in headcanon, lol. I'm hoping for a surprise mid-battle heat of the moment kiss, but don't want to call that yet. Joining forces against a common enemy is what I'm comfortable saying is likely based on what we've got.
@MeadowofAshes

Yes, and I'm pretty sure that is what's going to happen.

I had this weird feeling watching Rey 'looking up' at Leia..that she's confronting her about Ben Solo's 'abandonment', hence Leia's grim look.

I think both Rey and Kylo are going to find their gods have feet of clay.
@motherofpearl1

[size=50]Yes. I wonder if even Leia's faith in Ben's light is shaken at that point, maybe even warning her that she believed her son was still light and was wrong. But Rey insists that's not the case, now alienating herself from Leia. And with that said... We had the rumor Rey ends up in captivity at the end and the statement from Daisy Rey will be emotionally hurt. This is total conjecture but Ben and Rey taking on Praetorian guards leading to Snoke only to have Ben (seemingly) turn her over to him is a possibility. It's like Snape killing Dumbledore after Rowling built up his sympathetic backstory. It risks the audience hating his guts between TLJ and IX, but it would be a bold move and a definite cliffhanger.[/size]
@MeadowofAshes

Hmm...I don't believe it would be the case. Like I wrote in one of my previous posts, I believe that this scene rather occurs by the very end of the movie because Leia looks so solitary and grim like someone who has lost everything. Plus, I indeed that Rey is neither gonna turn turn to the DS nor end up prisoner or in some near-death state. Her character was obviously not written to end up in some passive state, waiting that someone comes to deliver her.

So that's why I tend to much to believe that something terrible will most likely happen to Ben. However, I don't believe in the scenario of Ben turning good and then turning bad again because committing treason would make him only pitiful to the audience. I believe that the best way  have the audience feeling complete empathy with him is to have him becoming the FO's super weapon against his own will. The poster refers him as "the Lost" which is extremely ambiguous: lost in the sense of emotionally lost Question lost in the sense of not to be redeemed because of his crime Question or lost in the sense that he may end up in some near-death state forever Question

Leia already experienced the painful feeling to have her son committing a patricide in TFA although she thought he had still light Question What could be more tragic for her than having her son coming back to the light but ending up sort of lost forever because Snoke ultimately got what he wanted from him Question

Of cours, all these assumption are based on my theory that we will get some kind of Atlantis scenario in TLJ with Ben as Kida, being used by Snoke and the FO to get some super weapon. The fact is that the FO obviously used the money of some rich assholes of Canto Bright to build their weapon SKB to control the galaxy. Unfortunately, the SKB was destroyed, which means that the money that the rich a** gave to finance the FO was spent for nothing since SKB was used only once to destroy Hosnian Prime. So we may assume that the rich a** ain't gonna spend their money in financing another SKB. I already pointed out that the screenwriters introduced some continuity between the weapon of mass destruction: Death Star I, Death Star II, SKB. They are all terrific weapons but all got destroyed because they all had a weak point. So I guess that the FO will try to have another weapon of mass destruction but won't spend so many years constructing a weapon that would have a weak point - especially if the rich a** ain't ready to pay again for that.

So let's assume what's the point to have Snoke and the FO sending Hux there. We know that Snoke - like the rich a** - is very bling-bling. He obviously like luxurious objects and we know that he'll need this super weapon of mass destruction. We also know that he needs for some reason the financial support of the rich assholes to finance the FO activities. And we know that Crait will be the centerpiece of the battle between the FO and the Resistance and have a key role in the movie. I had never heard about Crait before because I missed the whole story during my absence of the forum.

However, we know that Crait is some salty planet whose underground is made is...red ores
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Captur65
We know from Rian that he got some inspiration from Letter Never Sent where geologists are sent to find diamonds for the Soviet Government in order to finance some weapon. Plus, providing that he got some inspiration from the Atlantis scenario, we have some potential scenario about mercenaries who are ready to make money with the Atlantis cristal - a living source of power - no matter that it endangers the survival of an entire civilization. Finally, we know from RO that the Empire used kyber cristal to power Death Star I and Death II and then that the FO used the power of the Sun to power SKB. Then, what do they need to use as the next source of power of the new weapon of mass destruction if not something "pure, strong, unbreakable" like Snoke says in TFA:?:

I find the absence of Snoke in the promotional process extremely suspicious unless it appears that he is indeed either Luke or Kylo himself for some weird reason. Plus, we are told a lot about Luke and Rey's relationship but few about Snoke and Ben's relationship. Personally, I can't imagine that Snoke has been working so hard with Ben from the whomb just to decide that he isn't worth of his attention anymore.

At a first sight, Snoke seems to represent for Kylo what Palpatine represented for Anakin: a father figure. However, I feel that their dynamic is different. Although Anakin was manipulated from a young age, Palpatine only played the role of some kind, wise but machiavelic father figure watching over him from distance. Anakin grew up with a loving motheraway from his influence in hisearly years, then developed some special bond with Obi-Wan during his Padawan training and finally found love with Padme as a Jedi Knight. Palpatine never ever considered these bonds like a threat even later when it came to Luke's compassion with his father. He always tried to manipulate relationships to his advantage but never tried to prevent emotional bonds to develop. If I should describe Palpatine and Anakin's relationship in one word, I would chose "paternalism".

However things appear completely different in regard to Snoke and Kylo's relationship. We know from the novel Aftermath that Snoke had been watching Ben even before that child was born. I don't know who is Snoke but I was always intrigued by this passage of the novel where Leia sits next to a potted flower from Endor, tries to reach out to the plant and suddently feels some dark presence within her. I have always wondered if there wasn't some callback to E.T. the Extraterrestrial there. We know from Pablo that even if Snoke is an humanoid, he is no human. He indeed looks very much like an alien. Plus, it was revealed by Spielberg that E.T. is actually a plant. We also know that Rey was supposed to see a boy accompanied with Snoke during her vision. In E.T., we get a lonely boy - hurt by the failure of his parent's marriage - who finds in an alien his only friend and develops an unexpected strong bond with him. E.T. and Elliott become at some point so bonded that their lives become interdependant as if they were one. That's why, I believe Snoke to represent much more to Ben than a father figure because he's probably become the most important part of his life in 30 years, the person who knows him the most :

"When next Snoke spoke there was an intimacy in his voice, a familiarity that stood in sharp contrast with the commanding tone he had used with Hux"

However, Snoke represents for Ben what some dark version of E.T. could have represented for Elliott: a toxic, possessive and exclusive friend. When I once mentioned Sben/Snylo for fun, some part of me was serious there. Perhaps I am wrong to think that but it seems to me that Snoke behaves with Ben like a possessive lover/friend would do. Their relationship ain't based on paternalism (like Palpatine and Anakin) but on possessiveness.

That's why, I believe that Snoke will do anything to possess Kylo at all costs and the way he talks to him is somehow...inappropriate pale
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 5xoqkf11
The way he describes their relationship in the TFA novel is extremely telling and disturbing: he considers himself like a sculptor who is working with the finest material. A few weeks ago, I watched the movie Rodin: it took 30 years for the scuptor Auguste Rodin to achieve his masterpiece called The Gates of Hell! It required time and patience to work with the material and achieved what he wanted to do with it:
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 La_pue10

So I guess that like any artist, Sboke considers the material and the product of his work as his property. That's why I can't believe that Snoke would let Ben go that easily: he has been working for thirty years so hard with that child as a material to achieve a masterpiece. And we know from Andy Serkis himself that Snoke has a huge agenda but that this agenda is limited by his vulnerability.
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Captu135
To me, it is obvious that Snoke needs Ben for very specific goal and that he is using him to achieve it. Plus, the way he is talking to him sounds to me like a sculptor who is praising his muse if not the way a guy telling a girl how much he is in love with her. I mean one could easily replace some lines of their dialogue with the lines of a guy courting a girl by telling her how beautiful and precious she is to him:
"I have never had a student with such promise - before you" sounds a little like "I have never met a girl like you before"
"I have - you" sounds a little like "you're mine" or "you belong to me"
Even the way ADF stresses before you and you with th hyphen sign looks so disturbing. Really gets the sensation to read something innaprorpriate, way too intimate.

The next passage is even worse when I think about it. Snoke's reaction to Kylo's compassion for Rey looks so similar to a jealous lover:

There was as much curiosity in Supreme Leader Snoke’s voice as there was disappointment.

I mean, there are two things so odd there. Why does Snoke need to stress Rey's gender telling this scavenger - this girl - as if it was an important detail for him. Plus what for is he disappointed by Kylo? Certainly not disappointed that Kylo  didn't get the map from her : he doesn't  even mention the map in the dialogue:suspect: My feeling is that he is disappointed by the reason why Kylo didn't get the map because he goes straight to this point:

Obviously Snoke doesn't care about the Rey's Force power. He even doesn't care about the map at this moment. He is concerned that Kylo feels compassion for her, that he may have feeling for her. Even the use of the word "flat" to describe his tone sounds so weird. I mean, this sounds like the reaction of someone who is upset that the person he "cares" has feeling for another, right  Question Then, we are reminded that their relationship is somehow intimate: Snoke knows all about Kylo since it is stressed that nobody else would have perceived what he perceives. And then, we are told how Kylo feels about Snoke's rebuke.

No one else would have sensed a difference. Snoke did.

“No—never. Compassion? For an enemy of the Order?”

“I perceive the problem,” Snoke intoned. “It isn’t her strength that is making you fail. It’s your weakness.” The rebuke hurt, but Ren didn’t show it.

And then the best for the end:

"And you promised me when it came to destroying the Resistance you wouldn't fail me."

[...]

"Kylo Ren, it appears that a reminder is in order. So I will show you the dark side. Bring the girl to me."

Seriously: if Snoke doesn't behave with Kylo like a jealous lover, I don't know what it is. I mean, he could have told him: " You promised when it came to destroying the Resistance you wouldn't fail the FO". And yet, he reminds him that Kylo promised him he wouldn't fail him personally. That sounds so much like an outraged lover who is hurt because his partner didn't keep a promise  lol! And finally, the outraged lover intends to punish his lover as well solve the problem: he asks Kylo to bring him the girl obviously for something else that for some interest in her powers as if he wanted to get rid of the potential rival.

Even if it wasn't in the movie, these lines are canon. What I believe is that Snoke won't get interested in making Rey an ally: he will probably see her as a big threat since she is what endangers his relationship and agenda with Kylo. She has already sort being set as his rival in TFA:
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Captu136
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Maxres10
However, we know from the SW databank that Kylo's allegiance has already begun to change although he told Snoke in the novel that his allegiance was only to him (interestingly not to the FO). We also know from J.J. that Ben somehow knows that Snoke is using/abusing him. Plus, we have this shot that reminds me so much of Rapunzel's rebellion against Gothel:
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Captu133
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Captu134

So my feeling is that Ben will realize what Snoke agenda is for him and try to escape this abusive relationship. So I believe in a scenario where Ben will experience some liberty during TLJ - maybe leading him to turn clearly against the FO - but  Snoke -whoever or whatever it is - will claim Ben to be his property by the end and achieve with him what he intended to do for so long. So I believe in a big dramatic and dark scenario with Snoke (and the FO) ultimately possessing Ben against his own will, getting some living source of power as achievement of the huge agenda  and thus obtaining the weapon of mass destruction in the continuity of the Death Star and SKB... and the rich assholes getting a lot of red ores from the FO as a reward they  contributed the FO's victory on Crait and to ensure their further financial support pale pale pale

In this scenario, Leia would have all the reasons to feel destroyed and the audience to feel much empathy for Ben. And let's say it: Ben looks more than ever like a  some vulnerable Prince(ss) in distress needing to be saved from something whatever it is:
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 The-la12
@reylo1992

I never thought about it this way :0 It makes complete sense! Poor Ben Sad Remember when Adam was asked if Kylo Ren/Ben would survive Ep 8 and Adam responded: "If that's what you call living." It fits together. Ep 9 would then be Prince Rey saving Princess Ben from figurative and literal possesion/curse/coma
The love triangle is not between Finn, Kylo and Rey - it's between Snoke, Kylo and Rey.
@Persephone

I can see Leia giving up on her son then....and Rey refusing to do so. Ultimately Rey will go after Kylo, not to destroy him but set him free. Maybe alone.
@motherofpearl1

Originally, it doesn't seem like the SW team intended to have Leia giving up on her son. Kathleen Kennedy confirmed that TFA was Harrison Ford's movie, TLJ was Mark Hamill's and Ep.9 should have been Carrie Fisher's. So I guess that Leia was supposed to play some major role there including maybe some role in saving her son because it doesn't seem like she went personally after him until now. We know that Colin Trevorrow had to rewrite his script. However it doesn't seem either like Carrie's death represented  a complete disaster both for the plot of TLJ and Ep.9.

If TLJ really ends on a very dark note with Leia loosing everything - not only her son but also the ideal she fought so hard to build for decades - her death can be quite easily explained. She is by far the SW character who has gone through the most personal and professional disasters in the whole franchise. I am no mother but I guess that there is nothing worse for someone than losing definitely his own child. So maybe she would feel too shaken to continue the fight and slowly die from the lost of her only son.

So she could sort of pass the torch to Rey who would become Leia's and the galaxy's only hope in the most desperate hour with only (Grandpa) Obi-Wan's Force Ghost to help her Question After all, J.J.Abrams confirmed that her vision was personal and she hears at some point Obi-Wan saying "You will do it alone". Maybe this is some foreshadowing for Rey becoming solitary again and having to disappear by the end of TLJ like Obi-Wan did by the end of ROTS. I guess that if Snoke really sees her as a rival and threat, he would do anything to get rid of her. And when I think about it, I realize now that Snoke actually might have been aware that Kylo had visions/dreams about a girl long before the TFA events. So maybe it is just some crazy thought but what if Snoke had tried to find out who was the girl Kylo dreamed of even before he turned him to the DS Question

I have thought during  a long time that Luke may be responsible for the death of her parents. However, providing that there is sort of Snoke/Kylo/Rey"love" triangle, maybe Snoke realized that Ben was dreaming regularly of a girl,understood that she could become a big threat for his plan, tried to find out about her identity and sent people to her village to get rid of her. So providing that the parents left Rey on Jakku but died in mysterious circumstances - which is heavily implied by the line "they're never coming back" - Rey would have every reason to fight against Snoke because he would be behind both the definitive lost of her past belonging and  for the lost of her future belonging.

Now, I guess that she would also be put in some big dilemma : if Snoke and Ben end up TLJ completely bonded, it would mean that Rey could hardly destroy Snoke without destroying Ben in the process. This mean that she would have to chose between her duty - saving the galaxy - and her more personal motivation - saving Ben. So I could imagine some dialogue between her and Force Ghost Obi-Wan similar to the dialogue between Luke and Force Ghost Obi-Wan in ROTJ, maybe with Obi-Wan telling her that she has to destroy Snoke and Rey admitting that she can't do it because of Ben.

Even if Rey may be sort of alone in Ep.9, I think that she will ultimately gather a little team around her to go after Snoke because even if she would be the "galaxy's only hope", the hero/heroine always needs a team to help him/her. And we know what Finn was ready to do for her so I guess he wouldn't let her down even if he wouldn't understand why she would want to save Ben  Wink
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Captu147
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Captu146
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Captu148
So I guess that maybe she would go alone first but would be joined by Finn and the others at some point.I am sure that Finn would have an important to play by convincing his fellow stormtroopers to rebel against the FO like Padme convinced the Gungans to form an alliance with her before attacking her palace and setting Theed free.

Last edited by reylo1992 on Mon 17 Jul 2017, 5:35 am; edited 2 times in total
reylo1992
reylo1992
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 Mon 17 Jul 2017, 5:16 am

Meanwhile, what's the deal with Luke - many theories regarding Snoke yet rumours are Luke is the 'big bad' of TLJ.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Helix Mon 17 Jul 2017, 8:02 am

The new overlords. APorgable.

The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Dezcwx10
Helix
Helix
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire Mon 17 Jul 2017, 8:13 am

Helix wrote:The new overlords. APorgable.

The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Dezcwx10
@Helix

hahahahahaha your new signature!!!!
SheLitAFire
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 Mon 17 Jul 2017, 8:27 am

motherofpearl1 wrote:Meanwhile, what's the deal with Luke - many theories regarding Snoke yet rumours are Luke is the 'big bad' of TLJ.
@motherofpearl1

I must admit that I don't know really what to expect with Luke because having him as Luke as the Bid Bad to make his nephew more worth of the redemption to the audience, well... scratch

I can hardly imagine that Luke would have been so creepy to corrupt his nephew from the whomb and behaving with him like a jealous lover. If so, it would be super creepy and disgusting in a children movie. Providing that Rian got a little inspiration from Little Red Riding Hood, maybe we could try to find out:
- Who is Little Red Riding Hood?
- Who is the Wolf?
- Who is the Grandmother?
- Who is the Hunter?
Rey was described by Daisy as the Little Red Riding Hood. Aside from the aspect of woman (sexual) awakening, I don't know what makes her the Little Red Riding Hood. Maybe her innocence: the fact that she is still childish and naive in some way, believing that Luke is a myth, believing that Finn is a Resistant, having some simplistic vision of the world (DS = evil; LS = good), etc...

Now, Little Red Riding Hood is about a girl and her grandma who end up both  eaten by the wolf. They only are set free after the Hunter kills the Wolf and opens his belly. As I hardly imagine Rey ending up in some passive state by the end of TLJ, I rather see her getting the role of the Hunter. So maybe that both Luke and Ben are respectively the Grandma and LRRH and end up respectively incapacitated and possessed by Snoke,  which make sense with that poster
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Th16
J.J.Abrams always stressed how much Luke represented a problem in the storyline. He was frustrated not to have given him more scenes but also admitted Luke's presence would have killed the TFA story because everyone's attention would  have focused on him.

Providing that this Leia/Rey's scene takes place by the very end, it really seems that Leia is all alone although Luke and her are supposed to be reunited at some point of the movie. So my guess is that either Luke was Snoke from the beginning - but then the SW must explain me why the uncle behaves so inappropriately possessive with his nephew - or Luke will end up incapacitated by Snoke maybe as somefailed sacrifice to save his nephew Question Because if Luke was Snoke, I don't understand why he would ask Rey to kill Kylo: maybe thathe asks her to do that because he can't bring himself to kill his nephew but knows that this must be done to prevent Snoke from getting what he wants.

And by the way, here some other details about Snoke's inappropriate possessiveness toward Kylo:

1) Kylo's birth name
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 By-dec11
The guy is ready to make a decree preventing anyone from pronouncing Kylo Ren's birth name Question  Seriously Snoke, what is my sentence if pronounce his birth name lol! Don't you have anything more important to do than publishing a special decree for that??? I mean, that seems so exaggerated to make such a law. We may assume that Ben either doesn't have the right to let his birth name known. Gosh! If there is neither overprotective nor possessive behavior there from Snoke,I don't know what it is...

2) Kylo's mask
Another thing that bothers me about Snoke and Kylo. We know that Ben doesn't seem to be very comfortable in showing his face. I had always assumed that he hid his face on his own as some aspect of his admiration for his grandfather. However, there is something that strikes me, especially about these scenes:
In the first Snoke scene, both Hux and Kylo are in front of Snoke. Kylo has his mask on and doesn't say a word until Snoke invites him to do so.
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Captu149
However, we know that Adam Driver shot the next scene between Kylo and Snoke without the mask. So could it imply that the audience was supposed to discover his face for the first time during this scene, because Snoke asked him to remove his mask Question
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Hmafds11
If so, this is an important detail. It means that Kylo was meant to remove his mask first for Snoke, then for Rey and finally for his father. And obviously Snoke would have asked him to do so only when they were all alone after Hux left. I can't imagine that J.J.Abrams would have introduced unmasked Kylo Ren as Snoke spoke to both him and Hux. The removal of the mask was too important to be just a small detail. So this leads me to assume that this was meant originally to stress the intimacy of their relationship especially if J.J.Abrams would have inserted the dialogue that follows in the novel with Snoke having some kind of inappropriate "bedroom" voice there.
Later, we get this scene when they're alone together in the room and Snoke is upset that Kylo has compassion for the girl. Interestingly, Kylo doesn't have his mask there as he is alone with Snoke. We may think from the interrogation scene. that he simply went straight to Snoke to ask for help without taking his mask on.  
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Captu150
However, the novel makes things very clear:
He moved to leave and, at the last moment, gestured powerfully in her direction. The restraints that had held her wrists snapped back into place, once again securing her to the inclined platform. Then he once again donned his mask and was gone.

In the corridor, a stunned Ren found that he was breathing hard. That in itself was insettling. He did not know what had just transpired in the holding cell and, not knowing, was left uncertain how to proceed. He was spared further bewilderment when a trooper appeared, coming toward him. Straightening, Ren gathered himself.

The trooper halted. His evident discomfort at having to speak to Ren bolstered his superior’s shaken persona.

“Sir! The Supreme Leader has requested your presence.”

So the novel confirms that Kylo Ren took his mask on before leaving the interrogation room and that Snoke requested his presence at this moment. As Snoke knows Ben like anyone, I guess that he must have felt that something unusual was happening in the interrogation room. I guess that he knows that no one can resist Kylo's mind probe and that he is aware that if  Kylo had really wanted to get the map, he would have got it no matter if it hurt Rey or not. So I assume that Snoke is the one who asked Kylo to remove his mask for him while entering alone in the room. There, there is the strange parallel with the first scene where Hux is there from the beginning and leaves Snoke and Kylo (with his mask on) all alone. In that scene, he shows up unexpectedly while Snoke and Kylo (with his mask off) are all alone sort of couple-fighting lol!  Kylo's reaction is so interesting there. I mean, he can't bring himself to look at Hux in the eyes as if it was forbidden where he had absolutely no problem as he had his mask on.And once again, he diesn't dare to intervene as Snoke and Hux are talking:
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Captu151
What this tells me is that for many years Kylo had shown his face to anyone except when he is all alone with Snoke and the mask removal is apparently a request from Snoke himself. I don't know what's your feeling about it but something tells me that Snoke is clearly behind the fact that Kylo wears his mask everywhere except in front of him. Something tells me that this is Snoke's will to have Kylo covering himself from head to toe to make hide both his humanity and his appeal. I really don't know if I am right to make such parallel and of course I don't intend to be disrespectful toward some cultural/religious practices but Kylo's costume reminds me a lot of a burqa:
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Index110
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Index12
Once again, I insist that I don't mean to disrespect cultural/religious practices because I don't know enough about it to say if it is good and bad. However,  I think that Star Wars definitely conveys some occidental point of view of what individual and collective liberty means. From a French point of view at least, to have someone covered from head to toe in public space may be interpreted as something dehumanizing and submissive.

On a more personal level, my grandmatold me once that she had a very beautiful cousin who was married to a man who was incredibly overprotective, possessive and jealous. She was so beautiful that her husband didn't want her to go alone outside because he feared that other men would courtship her. So when he wasn't at home, he locked her in the house and she tried to escape by the windows. That sounds unbelievable but I think that it describes quite well how far an abusive relationship can go. If Snoke is ready to make a decree forbidding to pronounce Kylo's birth name, I can imagine that he doesn't want his "pure, strong, unbreakable" material to be seen by anyone else than him and even less having someone else finding him appealing, uh Question
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Captu152

3) Invading personal space
With all that stuff, I must say that I am eager to see Kylo and Snoke interacting face-to-face in TLJ. We know that Snoke was always present in Ben's life and that he's become the most important person in his life through the years. We also know from the interrogation scene that Kylo obviously doesn't know how to behave with the girl. Honestly, I can understand that some people found the scene disturbing, getting the sensation that Kylo was gonna rape Rey even if he behave more gently with her than with Poe. I mean, both in the movie and the novel there are some lines...you just ask yourself where Kylo took them because they sound pretty creepy in this context.

From the movie:

"You know I can take whatever I want"

From the novel:

"I know you've seen the map!, he repeated. "It's what I need. At the moment, it is all what I need"

When she maintained her silence, he almost sighed.

"I can take whatever I want"

[...]

True. He rose resigned. "I would have preferred to avoid this. Despite what you may believe, it gives me no pleasure. I will go as easily go as easily as possible but I will take what I need"

I mean, where the hell did Kylo learn to behave so gentle and creepy at the same time if not from Snoke himself who has been using both the carrot and the stick for years to get what he wanted from him Question And all this repetitive vocabulary about taking what he needs/wants. Plus the way he can't help but invading personal space as if it was completely natural for him. I guess that it comes from someone else pale pale pale

"And you promised me when it came to destroying the Resistance, you wouldn't fail me!"

The threatening figure of Snoke leaned toward Ren

Seriously, I expect Snoke invading Kylo's personal space in some  way in TLJ because it wouldn't be the first time in a Disney movie
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Captu153
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Captu155
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Captu154
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Captu156

BONUS: Kylo trying to "reassure" Snoke about his allegiance to him only

“I am immune to the light,” Ren assured him confidently. “By the grace of your training, I will not be seduced.” ==> Don't worry sweetheart, I won't be seduced by someone else than you

[...]

The elements align, Kylo Ren. You alone are caught in the winds of the storm. Your bond is not just to Vader, but to Skywalker himself. Leia…”

“There is no need for concern.”

[...]

Ren considered his reply carefully. “It does not matter. He means nothing to me. My allegiance is with you. No one will stand in our way.”

Snoke nodded. “We shall see. We shall see.

It was a dismissal. Turning, wholly preoccupied now, Ren followed General Hux in exiting the vast chamber.

[...]

There was as much curiosity in Supreme Leader Snoke’s voice as there was disappointment. “This scavenger—this girl—resisted you?”

That’s all she is, yes. A scavenger from that inconsequential Jakku. Completely untrained, but strong with the Force. Stronger than she knows.” His mask off, Ren replied with what seemed to be his usual assurance. No one else would have sensed a difference. Snoke did.

The Supreme Leader’s voice was flat. “You have compassion for her.”

No—never. Compassion? For an enemy of the Order?”

From Kylo's side, we get: there is no need for concern regarding my bonds to Vader, Luke, Leia; Han means to me; the girl is just a scavenger from that inconsequential Jakku; I would never have compassion for any ennemy of the FO; My allegiance is only to you.
==> Snoke's dismissive behavior makes Kylo feel: preoccupied; hurt; etc...

From Snoke's side, we get: I never had such a promising student -before you; I have - you; You are pure, strong, unbreakable, a masterpiece; We shall see if your allegiance is with me; You promised me that you wouldn't fail me!
==> Kylo's unusual behavior makes Snoke feel: curious, disappointed, flat,etc...

It's just me or ADF ships Snylo Question  lol!

My favorite part Question When Kylo tries hard to reassure Snoke by implying that he has no interest in the girl because she's just a scavenger - not a dame from the rich assholes society of Canto Bright, uh Question - coming from an inconsequential planet ... and then saying that she resisted his probe only because she is strong with the Force. Nice try buddy! But not enough to avoid the domestic fight lol!

Last edited by reylo1992 on Mon 17 Jul 2017, 9:09 am; edited 2 times in total
reylo1992
reylo1992
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire Mon 17 Jul 2017, 8:50 am

reylo1992 wrote:
motherofpearl1 wrote:Meanwhile, what's the deal with Luke - many theories regarding Snoke yet rumours are Luke is the 'big bad' of TLJ.
@motherofpearl1

I must admit that I don't know really what to expect with Luke because having him as Luke as the Bid Bad to make his nephew more worth of the redemption to the audience, well... scratch

I can hardly imagine that Luke would have been so creepy to corrupt his nephew from the whomb and behaving with him like a jealous lover. If so, it would be super creepy and disgusting in a children movie. Providing that Rian got a little inspiration from Little Red Riding Hood, maybe we could try to find out:
- Who is the Wolf?
- Who is the Hunter?
Rey was described by Daisy as the Little Red Riding Hood. Aside from the aspect of woman (sexual) awakening, I don't know what makes her the Little Red Riding Hood. Maybe her innocence: the fact that she is still childish and naive in some way, believing that Luke is a myth, believing that Finn is a Resistant, having some simplistic vision of the world (DS = evil; LS = good), etc...

@reylo1992

I read this interesting analysis & history on Little Red Riding Hood a couple of days ago after the posters were released:
https://www.mayastarling.com/little-red-riding-hood-moral-warnings-and-sexual-implications/
SheLitAFire
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 Mon 17 Jul 2017, 9:11 am

SheLitAFire wrote:
reylo1992 wrote:
@motherofpearl1

- Who is the Wolf?
- Who is the Hunter?

@reylo1992

I read this interesting analysis & history on Little Red Riding Hood a couple of days ago after the posters were released:
https://www.mayastarling.com/little-red-riding-hood-moral-warnings-and-sexual-implications/
@SheLitAFire

Thanks Smile
reylo1992
reylo1992
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SheLitAFire Mon 17 Jul 2017, 9:24 am

reylo1992 wrote:
SheLitAFire wrote:
reylo1992 wrote:
@motherofpearl1

- Who is the Wolf?
- Who is the Hunter?

@reylo1992

@SheLitAFire

Thanks Smile
@reylo1992

Is Snoke perhaps the wolf? ("bring her to me")
Hunter would seem to be Kylo...but wow, I'm just not sure. I'm getting hung up on who is the grandmother....
Maybe it's just the larger significance & symbolism that inspired Rian, rather than the characters themselves. I dunno. I do think you're right it's her awakening (sexual, force-wise) and coming of age story that pertains to LRRH.
SheLitAFire
SheLitAFire
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 Mon 17 Jul 2017, 9:38 am

SheLitAFire wrote:
reylo1992 wrote:
SheLitAFire wrote:
reylo1992 wrote:
@motherofpearl1

- Who is the Wolf?
- Who is the Hunter?

@reylo1992

@SheLitAFire

Thanks Smile
@reylo1992

Is Snoke perhaps the wolf? ("bring her to me")
Hunter would seem to be Kylo...but wow, I'm just not sure. I'm getting hung up on who is the grandmother....
Maybe it's just the larger significance & symbolism that inspired Rian, rather than the characters themselves. I dunno.
@SheLitAFire

I was going to answer a little longer about it. Well, I don't know if LRRH really applies to Rey herself besides the idea of awakening/maturity. I rather imagine Ben and Luke as LRRH and Grandma eaten by Snoke the Wolf by the end and Rey as the Hunter. But maybe it isn't really aboutthe characters but more about symbolism. I don't really know what to think.

This part of the post about the moral of the story: not talking and trusting stranger as interpretation of warning about pedophiles. Don't think that abusive relationship would apply to Rey and Luke's relationship - unless Luke is really going mad and evil - but it applies very well to Ben and Snoke.

Charles Perrault explained the ‘moral’ at the end so that no doubt is left to his intended meaning:

From this story one learns that children, especially young lasses, pretty, courteous and well-bred, do very wrong to listen to strangers, And it is not an unheard thing if the Wolf is thereby provided with his dinner. I say Wolf, for all wolves are not of the same sort; there is one kind with an amenable disposition – neither noisy, nor hateful, nor angry, but tame, obliging and gentle, following the young maids in the streets, even into their homes. Alas! Who does not know that these gentle wolves are of all such creatures the most dangerous!

Tell me, does that remind you of the early warnings about pedophiles?

Now, what intrigues me is the story about the Grandmother. LRRH provides the wolf with the necessary information to find the Grandma. And then the Wolf uses the information to find Grandma and eat her. So the question that I ask myself is: is the Grandma necessarily a character or something precious Question I believe that it could be an object, maybe this super weapon that Snoke and the FO would like to acquire. The scenario where the hero unintentionally lead the Wolf in the sheephold is usual in many stories, i.e. Milo leads the mercenaries to Atlantis and the cristal; Quasimodo leads Frollo to Esmeralda and the Court of Miracle. So maybe Rey will shows some flaw at some point by providing the Wolf with the necessary information to acquire something he is after Question
reylo1992
reylo1992
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Tex Mon 17 Jul 2017, 10:06 am

Oh Hell Yes! This is fabulous guys.

@reylo1992 wrote:Rey would have every reason to fight against Snoke because he would be behind both the definitive lost of her past belonging and  for the lost of her future belonging.

@persephone wrote:I never thought about it this way :0 It makes complete sense! Poor Ben Sad  Remember when Adam was asked if Kylo Ren/Ben would survive Ep 8 and Adam responded: "If that's what you call living." It fits together. Ep 9 would then be Prince Rey saving Princess Ben from figurative and literal possesion/curse/coma The love triangle is not between Finn, Kylo and Rey - it's between Snoke, Kylo and Rey.

I feel like we're starting to unravel things. A reverse Sleeping Beauty with Kylo in an induced coma with Rey saving him would be amazing. There first kiss could be in Ep. IX in the form of a "kiss of life" with her breaking Snoke's control, waking Kylo up physically and metaphorically. Honestly, this would have me melting in the theater.

As for the strange love triangle that is between Snoke, Kylo and Rey. It makes me wonder if this was why they changed Snoke's character from being a women to being a man. Maybe they thought it would be to on the nose? It would have taken the sexual undertones and turned them up a lot. Can you imagine a female villain saying these things to Kylo...

I'm pretty sure audiences would have drawn the conclusion that they were sleeping together. It would have also made Kylo's interactions with Rey and his attraction to her more obvious in my opinion.

Another scenario I could see happening is that if Kylo does not end up in a coma then he would be possessed by Snoke. He would become a mindless tool a la Hawkeye in the Avengers movie being controlled by Loki or Tuxedo Mask in Sailor Moon being controlled by Queen Beryl. At which point Rey will have to reluctantly fight him again, try not to kill him, and find a way to release him from Snoke's control.

Also we're roughly 150 days from seeing this movie! Yay! cheers
Tex
Tex
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by fuhry Mon 17 Jul 2017, 1:09 pm

The Snoke/Kylo relationship is certainly a fascinating one. As time goes by, I feel like Snoke is quite a different beast from the Emperor. How, I'm not sure.

I was thinking - the reveal between ROTJ and TFA that Luke and Leia are the progeny of Darth Vader seems like it's a significant event. Basically, the whole family gets thrown out of the Republic. Leia, having experienced the evil of Vader (and never developing compassion for him), might naturally react by trying to prove herself by leading the Resistance against the threat of the First Order, which looks just like the Empire. Ben, however, might react differently. He might have a lot of disdain for the Republic, which so easily bends to the will of some politicians trying to advance themselves by ruining the reputation of his family. Maybe his reaction is that the Republic are a bunch of hypocritical assholes, and he thinks they should be removed from power. Luke, on the other hand, would try to make the case that Vader returned to the light side and defeated the Emperor, ending the Empire's reign. No one would likely believe him. He may also share disdain for the Republic.

How did the Vader reveal affect Han? Hey... did Han ever know that Vader was Luke and Leia's father?

Maybe... the Republic attacked Luke's Jedi academy. Maybe they spread the rumor that it was Ben, and Leia and Han believed it. Maybe the Knights of Ren are the surviving members of Luke's academy, who have good reason to hate the Republic.
fuhry
fuhry
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by ReyofLightSide Mon 17 Jul 2017, 1:21 pm

fuhry wrote:The Snoke/Kylo relationship is certainly a fascinating one. As time goes by, I feel like Snoke is quite a different beast from the Emperor. How, I'm not sure.

I was thinking - the reveal between ROTJ and TFA that Luke and Leia are the progeny of Darth Vader seems like it's a significant event. Basically, the whole family gets thrown out of the Republic. Leia, having experienced the evil of Vader (and never developing compassion for him), might naturally react by trying to prove herself by leading the Resistance against the threat of the First Order, which looks just like the Empire. Ben, however, might react differently. He might have a lot of disdain for the Republic, which so easily bends to the will of some politicians trying to advance themselves by ruining the reputation of his family. Maybe his reaction is that the Republic are a bunch of hypocritical assholes, and he thinks they should be removed from power. Luke, on the other hand, would try to make the case that Vader returned to the light side and defeated the Emperor, ending the Empire's reign. No one would likely believe him. He may also share disdain for the Republic.

How did the Vader reveal affect Han? Hey... did Han ever know that Vader was Luke and Leia's father?

Maybe... the Republic attacked Luke's Jedi academy. Maybe they spread the rumor that it was Ben, and Leia and Han believed it. Maybe the Knights of Ren are the surviving members of Luke's academy, who have good reason to hate the Republic.
@fuhry

That would be an amazing twist and would explain a LOT. It also ties in nicely with Bloodline.
ReyofLightSide
ReyofLightSide
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonlight13 Mon 17 Jul 2017, 1:30 pm

fuhry wrote:The Snoke/Kylo relationship is certainly a fascinating one.  As time goes by, I feel like Snoke is quite a different beast from the Emperor.  How, I'm not sure.  

I was thinking - the reveal between ROTJ and TFA that Luke and Leia are the progeny of Darth Vader seems like it's a significant event.  Basically, the whole family gets thrown out of the Republic.  Leia, having experienced the evil of Vader (and never developing compassion for him), might naturally react by trying to prove herself by leading the Resistance against the threat of the First Order, which looks just like the Empire.  Ben, however, might react differently.  He might have a lot of disdain for the Republic, which so easily bends to the will of some politicians trying to advance themselves by ruining the reputation of his family.  Maybe his reaction is that the Republic are a bunch of hypocritical assholes, and he thinks they should be removed from power.  Luke, on the other hand, would try to make the case that Vader returned to the light side and defeated the Emperor, ending the Empire's reign.  No one would likely believe him.  He may also share disdain for the Republic.  

How did the Vader reveal affect Han?  Hey... did Han ever know that Vader was Luke and Leia's father?

Maybe... the Republic attacked Luke's Jedi academy.  Maybe they spread the rumor that it was Ben, and Leia and Han believed it.  Maybe the Knights of Ren are the surviving members of Luke's academy, who have good reason to hate the Republic.  
@fuhry

That in itself seems like a good reason to fall to the Dark side. Neutral
Moonlight13
Moonlight13

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 Mon 17 Jul 2017, 1:40 pm

Moonlight13 wrote:
fuhry wrote:The Snoke/Kylo relationship is certainly a fascinating one.  As time goes by, I feel like Snoke is quite a different beast from the Emperor.  How, I'm not sure.  

I was thinking - the reveal between ROTJ and TFA that Luke and Leia are the progeny of Darth Vader seems like it's a significant event.  Basically, the whole family gets thrown out of the Republic.  Leia, having experienced the evil of Vader (and never developing compassion for him), might naturally react by trying to prove herself by leading the Resistance against the threat of the First Order, which looks just like the Empire.  Ben, however, might react differently.  He might have a lot of disdain for the Republic, which so easily bends to the will of some politicians trying to advance themselves by ruining the reputation of his family.  Maybe his reaction is that the Republic are a bunch of hypocritical assholes, and he thinks they should be removed from power.  Luke, on the other hand, would try to make the case that Vader returned to the light side and defeated the Emperor, ending the Empire's reign.  No one would likely believe him.  He may also share disdain for the Republic.  

How did the Vader reveal affect Han?  Hey... did Han ever know that Vader was Luke and Leia's father?

Maybe... the Republic attacked Luke's Jedi academy.  Maybe they spread the rumor that it was Ben, and Leia and Han believed it.  Maybe the Knights of Ren are the surviving members of Luke's academy, who have good reason to hate the Republic.  
@fuhry

That in itself seems like a good reason to fall to the Dark side. Neutral
@Moonlight13

Interesting metas regarding the political background at the time the massacre is supposed to have occurred:
https://oldadastra.tumblr.com/post/144138756759/bloodline-the-fall-of-ben-solo-and-the-contents
https://millenniumfulcrum.tumblr.com/post/150048329469/the-new-jedi-order-massacre

My fav. part of the second meta:
Had the corrupted state of the New Republic ordered this “massacre”? Had they framed it on the cherished Son to prove to the Galaxy that those Skywalker’s had the potential to be just as bad.  Had that betrayal (from the Republic and his own Family) pushed Ben over the edge? If Vader is who they were so afraid of,  Vader is who they would get.   A constant theme of Star Wars is that we create the villains we see, but we can also create heroes.   Had the Republic created the monster by wanting to prove that there was one?

Last edited by reylo1992 on Mon 17 Jul 2017, 1:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
reylo1992
reylo1992
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Mon 17 Jul 2017, 1:47 pm

ReyofLightSide wrote:

@fuhry

That would be an amazing twist and would explain a LOT. It also ties in nicely with Bloodline.
@ReyofLightSide

Agreed, that's been something I thought a lot about after reading Bloodline. Especially because the public shaming/attack on Leia, people also condemn Luke and accuse them of both twins of being after power given who their father was. It would also fit in with whatever half truths Ben was told about their grandparents being heroes and then the eventual reveal/realization that his mother kept the truth from him. Which being intimate, would feel even more like a betrayal on top of whatever he's witnessed from her political career, growing up in the Capitol, and whatever incident led to him being 'abandoned' to his weirdo and likely fanatical uncle. Like "you motherf**kers think I'm Vader? Well then I'll give it to you."
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ReyofLightSide Mon 17 Jul 2017, 1:53 pm

I am really liking that as a theory. One, it would be a shock. Two, it shows the "gray" area and who is good/bad? Three, gives Ben a pretty damn good reason to give in to Snoke depending on what Snoke was telling him and what Luke was doing.

Not sure how it ties in to "finish what you started" though.
ReyofLightSide
ReyofLightSide
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 Mon 17 Jul 2017, 2:21 pm

snufkin wrote:
ReyofLightSide wrote:

@fuhry

@ReyofLightSide

Agreed, that's been something I thought a lot about after reading Bloodline. Especially because the public shaming/attack on Leia, people also condemn Luke and accuse them of both twins of being after power given who their father was. It would also fit in with whatever half truths Ben was told about their grandparents being heroes and then the eventual reveal/realization that his mother kept the truth from him. Which being intimate, would feel even more like a betrayal on top of whatever he's witnessed from her political career, growing up in the Capitol, and whatever incident led to him being 'abandoned' to his weirdo and likely fanatical uncle. Like "you motherf**kers think I'm Vader? Well then I'll give it to you."
@snufkin

That's the main reason why I think that Ben's redemption can't happen the same way as Vader. Whatever the circumstances are, it can't happen in some private space i.e. where he and Rey would be completely alone. The whole galaxy must witness this or at least holocron must record that because rumors are basically what twist the truth. I can't help but see the similarities with Wang So, Quasimodo and Hercules there, three people sort of rejected by society...
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Captu169
...and accomplishing something heroic in the most public way so that their (re)integration is ultimately made possible, whatever their past actions were.
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Captu170
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Captu171
The Last Jedi: General Discussion - Page 21 Captu172
Reminder that Wang So killed many people before he came to be considered as a hero by the same people who called him the wolf dog. This was possible because his actions counterbalanced the many deaths he provoked. So the question is: what should Ben achieve to counterbalance the bloody legacy of the Skywalker family Question
reylo1992
reylo1992
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Mon 17 Jul 2017, 2:33 pm

@reylo1992 - agreed. Both for whatever happens after the credits roll and especially whatever relationship he has with the other characters, especially Rey. Like there will be no reason to keep things hidden. Especially because it just compounded the family trauma and as we say in English, kicked the can to the next person/generation. Bloodline very much explores the public side of the legacies from both the PT and OT in showing how people are happy to praise both Leia's birth mother and adoptive father. Except then the statue (which it sounds like the NR shouldn't have been wasting money on) is destroyed and the turn on Leia effectively trashes the service/sacrifice of her life's work. Along with destroying/trashing the service and sacrifice of Bail and Padme's friendship.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Mon 17 Jul 2017, 2:45 pm

fuhry wrote:The Snoke/Kylo relationship is certainly a fascinating one. As time goes by, I feel like Snoke is quite a different beast from the Emperor. How, I'm not sure.

@fuhry

FWIW, in Bloodline, it was pretty clear that Han did know about Vader being Luke and Leia's father. If I recall, they actually had conversations about it, but it wasn't something that was known outside of the family at that point.

I'd love a twist like the Republic being responsible for the attack on the temple, but unless people are lying, I don't think that's what happened...at least on the surface. Back when he wasn't so cagey, Pablo flat-out said at one point that Ben killed the other students--it's the incident that led to his fall to the dark side and to Han and Leia's split. MSW also claimed to have "documentation" that Ben killed the students.

So, at the moment, I'm going with Ben-killed-the-students. Where I think the twist will be is in his motivation to kill the students. Were the students ganging up on him Lord-of-the-Flies style, and Ben killed them in self-defense? (It seems pretty clear that Luke wasn't around when the massacre actually happened.) Or were the students, perhaps, planning to kill Luke and/or Leia once the Vader reveal happened...or perhaps just plotting something "bad"? I think that any of those scenarios are still on the table, and I fully expect there to be some big twist to Ben's fall that casts Kylo in a sympathetic light.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Tex Mon 17 Jul 2017, 2:47 pm

I'm loving that the D23 footage/coverage has reinvigorated the forum. Truly, there is a plethora of theories to pick from, all of which could create some really fascinating stories. Whatever we end up getting I hope that it's half as creative as some of the theories we've been discussing. And if we're way off the mark then I hope to see some of our fabulous fic writers producing some wonderful AU stories lol.
Tex
Tex
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Mon 17 Jul 2017, 3:08 pm

ISeeanIsland wrote:I'm going with Ben-killed-the-students. Where I think the twist will be is in his motivation to kill the students. Were the students ganging up on him Lord-of-the-Flies style, and Ben killed them in self-defense? (It seems pretty clear that Luke wasn't around when the massacre actually happened.) Or were the students, perhaps, planning to kill Luke and/or Leia once the Vader reveal happened...or perhaps just plotting something "bad"? I think that any of those scenarios are still on the table, and I fully expect there to be some big twist to Ben's fall that casts Kylo in a sympathetic light.

I'll see you that scenario and add in that Ben's already got youthful hubris, a reckless nature, resentment against his parents/uncle for being packed off to be a Jedi, and Luke got involved in some bad Juju/LS Fanaticism. It definitely has to be something more complicated than all of the supposed Hot Takes and Think Pieces which keep insisting that he's the SW version of a school shooter. Especially after the VF article had the comment by Rian Johnson that he definitely did not write the story to mirror any real world political issues or figures.

@Tex - Some of our theories from just goofing off would make for a pretty hilarious movie. You still can't convince me that Luke's reintroduction isn't meant to evoke the Dude in The Big Lebowski shuffling through the dairy aisle at Ralph's supermarket in his bathrobe. Or that at least one of the Knights of Ren isn't also a trained stylist in order to keep Kylo's hair flawless at all times.

Last edited by snufkin on Mon 17 Jul 2017, 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru Mon 17 Jul 2017, 3:10 pm

The problem with Ben's fall is that the wording used in TFA to describe it is very open to interpretation. He is a boy who destroyed everything. Okay, but "destroy" can mean a hundred things depending of the context. They could've flat out said that he killed everyone because he wanted to, but they didn't.
Piper Maru
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen Mon 17 Jul 2017, 3:25 pm

Piper Maru wrote:The problem with Ben's fall is that the wording used in TFA to describe it is very open to interpretation. He is a boy who destroyed everything. Okay, but "destroy" can mean a hundred things depending of the context. They could've flat out said that he killed everyone because he wanted to, but they didn't.
@Piper Maru

At the same time it's Han telling this to strangers. As a father I am not sure he can fully acknowledge that his son has killed Luke's students and has difficulties pronouncing the word "kill", the same way he says "a boy" and not a young man because it's his son no matter what. I'd say that you can tell this scene was written by fathers and Han is played by a father. A lot of fatherly weariness in that scene.

I am also inclined to believe that Ben really killed them and it's the circumstances that will be surprising. But yeah, nothing's set in stone.
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru Mon 17 Jul 2017, 3:38 pm

SanghaRen wrote:
Piper Maru wrote:The problem with Ben's fall is that the wording used in TFA to describe it is very open to interpretation. He is a boy who destroyed everything. Okay, but "destroy" can mean a hundred things depending of the context. They could've flat out said that he killed everyone because he wanted to, but they didn't.
@Piper Maru

At the same time it's Han telling this to strangers. As a father I am not sure he can fully acknowledge that his son has killed Luke's students and has difficulties pronouncing the word "kill", the same way he says "a boy" and not a young man because it's his son no matter what. I'd say that you can tell this scene was written by fathers and Han is played by a father. A lot of fatherly weariness in that scene.

I am also inclined to believe that Ben really killed them and it's the circumstances that will be surprising. But yeah, nothing's set in stone.
@SanghaRen

I see your point and I agree about the fatherly weariness, but we need to take into consideration that this is a fictional work. The words are there because a writer choose them. Kasdan & J.J. opted for "destroy" instead of "killed" to enhance the mystery and keep people wondering. Why? Because the first thing everyone thought when Han told the story was Anakin 2.0 killing padawans. It's not going to follow this route because that's what they want you to believe.
Piper Maru
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next