Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings

+71
Night Huntress
PalmettoBlue
Darth Rowan
RosiePancake
colibri
benorganasolo
nite0wl29
Blackcanary
kassadin
bashfulblueeyes3
adamdrivershair
CienaRee
Moonlight13
Krafty
tukicarreno
guardienne
MeadowofAshes
SheLitAFire
vaderito
SanghaRen
reylo1992
DarthRen
Cowgirlsamurai
Acritiqua
panki
Kyla Ren
Helix
SoloSideCousin
IoJovi
Rimfaxe96
Geralt_Riv
Kessel
LastCrusadeLeft
SkyStar
spacebaby45678
motherofpearl1
snufkin
Macha Ren
Birdwoman
Armadeus
rey09
Dark Padawan
Tex
shii405
Marchtwin
nemapasara
Moonjump05
Rei of Sunshine
Xylo Ren
EchoBase
Lily Snape
salmund
ISeeAnIsland
jakkusun
Darth Dementor
Piper Maru
AceofWands
ReyofLightSide
Little_Boots
Mana
Reylo Lemon
Irina de France
creepi0
MindAndMagic
MoonFyre
Reynak
ZioRen
Darth_Awakened
Darth Dingbat
FrolickingFizzgig
Saracene
75 posters

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - Page 11 Empty Re: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings

Post by ISeeAnIsland Tue 09 May 2017, 2:33 pm

Cowgirlsamurai wrote:@Dark Padawan

I worry about the same things  Exclamation I wish they had left the "compassion," line in the film. His potential for redemption is much higher in the novel. Adam said that the next film will focus on Kylo's humanity, so let's hope they start showing it from scene one  Very Happy
I have good and bad Reylo days, lol. Sometimes I think it's highly likely to happen, and then some days I can't stop wondering if Rey could really fall for Han Solo's murderer (without justifying the murder somehow...).
@Cowgirlsamurai

I wouldn't be surprised if the "Compassion" scene gets moved to the beginning of TLJ. According to Jason from MSW, TLJ essentially opens with Snoke being disappointed in Kylo because he failed to "bring him the girl". That could be a good setup for Kylo heading to Ahch-To.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - Page 11 Empty Re: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings

Post by Reylo Lemon Tue 09 May 2017, 2:33 pm

Dark Padawan wrote:
Maria Antonietta wrote:
Dark Padawan wrote:Ive been reading pages of this thread. And I have a question.
Don't you guys sometimes think that Kylo is a bit too far gone to be saved? I mean....I love me some dark-bad-boy-turned-good-for-love trope which works quiet fine in the vastlands of cyberspace but sometimes I find it reall hard to justify his behaviour to my real life friends.
Like...they really hate him. And...not just because he is an evil guy that just kills everyone around, but mostly because he behaves like an entitled privileged duchebag. Walking around like he owns the place and everything in it, taking what he wants...then seeing this pretty girl and just expecting her to want him. I try to say that you can see the change in him trough the movie, but it constantly annoys me. That she is just too good for him. I know chemistry is important, but i fail to see what would Rey gain for herself in this relationship? How would it be empowering to her,  if she is superior to him in all areas?
Or is the basis of their relationship just pure animal attraction? I mean, that is what we see now. He wants her and she just doesnt wanna give it to him. Is that empowering, Rey being this high moral pure standard that will make him change his ways just to get some?
@Dark Padawan

For her journey, it is important to win him with compassion. The villain changes when she'll change and when the conflict is resolved, she'll become an adult. with or without a kiss
@Maria Antonietta

I really want the romance, but do you think they could function as friends only too? I was just discussing the posibilities of unconditional love between non romantically involved people that are not family with a goid friend, but how would that work between opposite sexes?
@Dark Padawan

Everything works. It is possible that they'll become allies sooner than we think. She already defeated him physically, they can't fight it out forever Wink
Reylo Lemon
Reylo Lemon
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by snufkin Tue 09 May 2017, 3:56 pm

ReyofLightSide wrote:
snufkin wrote:So the May the 4th marathon of the OT and PT here in the States, I noticed another detail, when Obi-Wan tells Luke about why he and Leia were hidden as children. Because as the offspring of a powerful person, they'd be targeted as a threat to somebody else's agenda/control. Nobody realized who or what Snoke was, Leia was powerful both as a political leader and Force user, so her son was targeted. Meanwhile Rey spends her childhood and adolescence "safely hidden away" (safe being a relative term) on Jakku as an orphan and scavenger.
@snufkin

It's similar to RO and the new Rebel Rising book about Jyn

spoilers for both:

I was thinking the other day it is interesting Rey always says "her family" vs. "her parents."
@ReyofLightSide

When the spoilers in advance for R1 came out about Jyn's family, connection to the Empire, and what happens in the opening, several of us thought that was interesting. Because it sounded exactly like what we'd concluded had to be the most logical explanation for Rey's backstory. That there was some type of connection between her parents and the First Order, bad s**t went down which left them captured/dead, and her an orphan. Which maaaaybe some of that is a little bit of lack of imagination on LF's part seeing as how they cast the same general type of white, brunette, and British for both heroines. Also not helped by tinfoil hat wearing Reywalkers convinced that Rey had to be Jyn's daughter and maybe that Luke knocked up Jyn (hahaha). I'd hope that they'd come up with something slightly different and more ST appropriate for Rey's situation. I do think that her being left on Jakku was a decision made out of desperation to protect her, her parents/family are dead, and that their being targeted is tied to Snoke's agenda regarding the Jedi and the Force.

It's super tempting for me to think that BdT's character may be tied to all of this because he's so good at playing complicated bad guys or at least shady characters whose allegiances are hard to figure out. But he did mention that he wanted to be in this movie because it'd be one of the few age appropriate movies he's done that he could watch with his daughter. So it'd be a little weird to have your dad appear in a movie where he plays somebody who abandons a small girl who's about the same age as you.

@ISeeanIsland - you may be on to something! You almost expect Ben to tell Rey something like "I have plenty of low sodium mineral water" every time he tries to corner her

Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - Page 11 Original
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Tue 09 May 2017, 4:44 pm

Dark Padawan wrote:Ive been reading pages of this thread. And I have a question.
Don't you guys sometimes think that Kylo is a bit too far gone to be saved? I mean....I love me some dark-bad-boy-turned-good-for-love trope which works quiet fine in the vastlands of cyberspace but sometimes I find it reall hard to justify his behaviour to my real life friends.
Like...they really hate him. And...not just because he is an evil guy that just kills everyone around, but mostly because he behaves like an entitled privileged duchebag. Walking around like he owns the place and everything in it, taking what he wants...then seeing this pretty girl and just expecting her to want him. I try to say that you can see the change in him trough the movie, but it constantly annoys me. That she is just too good for him. I know chemistry is important, but i fail to see what would Rey gain for herself in this relationship? How would it be empowering to her,  if she is superior to him in all areas?
Or is the basis of their relationship just pure animal attraction? I mean, that is what we see now. He wants her and she just doesnt wanna give it to him. Is that empowering, Rey being this high moral pure standard that will make him change his ways just to get some?
@Dark Padawan

I don't think you're supposed to justify any of Kylo's behavior in TFA, and for a character to have a transformative arc he has to start out being awful, otherwise where's the personal journey? As for what Rey gains for herself, while I definitely want her feelings for Kylo, if she does develop some in the next film, to make sense, I don't think that love really works like some financial transaction, or that everything about a heroine's story must be "empowering" to her. In many ways, feelings for another person leave you vulnerable, so I don't doubt there'd be people who think that feeling distraught over a man diminish Rey or make her less of a strong female character.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by AceofWands Tue 09 May 2017, 5:33 pm

Darth Dementor wrote:@AceOfWands Elizabeth is the protagonist of the first POC. The director said so himself in the commentary. His exact words were the story was told from her point of view.
@Darth Dementor

I think she's the protagonist, and of course it makes sense that the director would say so. But still a lot of people think it's a trio of protagonists.

Anyways, what's interesting about the Curse of the Black Pearl is that is goes against many of Hollywood beliefs:

- You can't have a female lead
- If you have a female lead, she needs to be a big name

And then people say, well, it ws because of Johnny Deep, but he wasn't that famous before POTC. The biggest name might have been Orlando Bloom, unrecognizable without blond hair and pointy ears.

Anyways, more than a decade has passed and people still insist you can't have a female lead. All right, then.

And this is totally off topic, except if we think that it's also Disney.

AceofWands
AceofWands
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by AceofWands Tue 09 May 2017, 5:44 pm

Don't you guys sometimes think that Kylo is a bit too far gone to be saved? I mean....I love me some dark-bad-boy-turned-good-for-love trope

I don't think he would turn good again for love. I think he's good inside. There's light in him, he just needs to be shown the way. He's clearly not happy as a villain, and he's not even interested in FO stuff. He's not interested in blowing up planets, for instance. We don't know what Vader started that he wants. We don't know why he thinks he's acting for the greater good. We don't know what he might have believed about his father. So I don't think it will be a bad boy turning good. It's a good person realizing his goodness. And it won't be just for the girl, but because it's something he actually yearns for, with his call for the light and yada yada yada.

which works quiet fine in the vastlands of cyberspace but sometimes I find it reall hard to justify his behaviour to my real life friends.
Like...they really hate him.

There are many reasons why guys hate Kylo, but you could make a huge case here that it's actually his fragility that they hate. Or how he's ambiguous. There are also the guys who identify with Finn, cause he's that sort of character that you naturally identify with, and just get the feeling that women don't like nice guys or any other excuse as to why women don't pay attention to them. (And frankly, 95% of the guys who claim "women don't like them cause they are too nice" are douchebags.)

And...not just because he is an evil guy that just kills everyone around, but mostly because he behaves like an entitled privileged duchebag. Walking around like he owns the place and everything in it, taking what he wants...then seeing this pretty girl and just expecting her to want him.

Well, it seems he kind of has a high ranking on the FO and he owns a pretty cool spaceship. I think it's true he's more confident than he should be. But why is that something to hate?

I try to say that you can see the change in him trough the movie, but it constantly annoys me. That she is just too good for him. I know chemistry is important, but i fail to see what would Rey gain for herself in this relationship? How would it be empowering to her,  if she is superior to him in all areas?

Does it have to be empowering? I think she's super empowered already. What she would gain would be someone who trully understands her, understands her loleniness, admires and supports her power. Companionship, that's it.

@Dark Padawan

I don't thin she's this high moral pure standard, and DR in red, saying she'll do things that might be shocking or whatever she said should shed a clue. I don't think it's animal attraction. What he sees in her is in her mind, and vice versa. It's not about looks, it's about a deep connection. And again, he won't change for her but because it's something that's in him.

I hope that has been clarified. Wink
AceofWands
AceofWands
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by ReyofLightSide Tue 09 May 2017, 7:47 pm

I think Rey remembers who dropped her off on Jakku and either they are actually her family or she thinks of them like that. It's very vague- family could be just parents, siblings, extended family, or a clan/religious group.

I like the idea of her either being royalty or someone dropping her off to get her out of the way.
ReyofLightSide
ReyofLightSide
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin Tue 09 May 2017, 7:53 pm

ISeeAnIsland wrote:So, while laying awake with insomnia last night, I was going over some of the recent posts about the Force "awakening" in my brain, and I came up with a theory that I haven't seen discussed before. It might be a bit cracktastic, but I think it fits with a lot of what we know so far.

In that discussion a few days ago about how the Force had been "dormant" (as in, most Force sensitives had lost their connection and/or there had been no knew "awakenings" since the temple massacre) in recent years, and how Rey "awakening" seemed to have been the first instance of that since Stuff Went Down at Luke's temple. One of the supplementary sources that someone quoted (I can't remember if it was a novelization or a visual guide or whatever) had said that Luke's temple had actually been a "beacon" and had been attracting Force sensitives to the site.

So...here's my new crazy theory: What if Ben Solo (and not the temple) was the beacon? What if Ben's physical presence (being a perfect combo of light and dark) helped people find their connection to the Force? Or what if some combination of Ben and Luke acted as a beacon/Force activator? (Sort of like a keymaster/gatekeeper thing?)

* Maybe whatever Ben and Luke discovered made Ben want to stop the growing new Jedi order that they had been building?
* Could Snoke have convinced Ben that he could stop this with a combination of destroying what Luke had built plus stopping the awakenings by going dark?
* Does the "If Skywalker returns..." have a double meaning, in that if Kylo heads back towards the light (becoming balanced again), the awakenings will start again, and we'll get a new generation of Force sensitives?
* For whatever reason (controlling/hoarding the Force?) does Snoke want to stop the Force from awakening in new Force sensitives?
@ISeeAnIsland

Oooohh, I like this a lot!!! Kylo/Ben introduced Rey to her powers.  They have made a big deal in supplementary material about him being both dark and light.  We have heard rumblings that Luke and Ben stumbled across something that made Ben in particular question the inherent goodness of the Jedi.  If he thinks the Jedi are inherently corrupt, it would seem like the "right thing" to stop people from joining their ranks.  This could lead to that possible theological war showdown between the Jedi/Luke's followers and perhaps Kylo and the KoR where the whole thing is more war/armed struggle than school shooting.  Also, given the way the poster looks, this "Ben is the beacon but now we're in holy war" scenario would not prevent Luke from doing something extreme as well, hence both Luke and Kylo being in red and Kylo being below Luke and looking young and sad and Luke the angry master.  Further, Rey is portrayed as a mediator between Kylo/Ben and Luke.  This mediation might not just be helping them settle their personal differences but also to help them mediate what the force is trying to tell them via meditation, the "books" and perhaps now Kylo/Ben's possible beacon status and what it means.  When asked, Kylo said that he had felt the awakening.  I also wonder if every FS can feel these awakenings or does Kylo/Ben have a higher level of sensitivity to this?
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Tue 09 May 2017, 8:38 pm

SoloSideCousin wrote:
ISeeAnIsland wrote:So, while laying awake with insomnia last night, I was going over some of the recent posts about the Force "awakening" in my brain, and I came up with a theory that I haven't seen discussed before. It might be a bit cracktastic, but I think it fits with a lot of what we know so far.

In that discussion a few days ago about how the Force had been "dormant" (as in, most Force sensitives had lost their connection and/or there had been no knew "awakenings" since the temple massacre) in recent years, and how Rey "awakening" seemed to have been the first instance of that since Stuff Went Down at Luke's temple. One of the supplementary sources that someone quoted (I can't remember if it was a novelization or a visual guide or whatever) had said that Luke's temple had actually been a "beacon" and had been attracting Force sensitives to the site.

So...here's my new crazy theory: What if Ben Solo (and not the temple) was the beacon? What if Ben's physical presence (being a perfect combo of light and dark) helped people find their connection to the Force? Or what if some combination of Ben and Luke acted as a beacon/Force activator? (Sort of like a keymaster/gatekeeper thing?)

* Maybe whatever Ben and Luke discovered made Ben want to stop the growing new Jedi order that they had been building?
* Could Snoke have convinced Ben that he could stop this with a combination of destroying what Luke had built plus stopping the awakenings by going dark?
* Does the "If Skywalker returns..." have a double meaning, in that if Kylo heads back towards the light (becoming balanced again), the awakenings will start again, and we'll get a new generation of Force sensitives?
* For whatever reason (controlling/hoarding the Force?) does Snoke want to stop the Force from awakening in new Force sensitives?
@ISeeAnIsland

Oooohh, I like this a lot!!! Kylo/Ben introduced Rey to her powers.  They have made a big deal in supplementary material about him being both dark and light.  We have heard rumblings that Luke and Ben stumbled across something that made Ben in particular question the inherent goodness of the Jedi.  If he thinks the Jedi are inherently corrupt, it would seem like the "right thing" to stop people from joining their ranks.  This could lead to that possible theological war showdown between the Jedi/Luke's followers and perhaps Kylo and the KoR where the whole thing is more war/armed struggle than school shooting.  Also, given the way the poster looks, this "Ben is the beacon but now we're in holy war" scenario would not prevent Luke from doing something extreme as well, hence both Luke and Kylo being in red and Kylo being below Luke and looking young and sad and Luke the angry master.  Further, Rey is portrayed as a mediator between Kylo/Ben and Luke.  This mediation might not just be helping them settle their personal differences but also to help them mediate what the force is trying to tell them via meditation, the "books" and perhaps now Kylo/Ben's possible beacon status and what it means.  When asked, Kylo said that he had felt the awakening.  I also wonder if every FS can feel these awakenings or does Kylo/Ben have a higher level of sensitivity to this?
@SoloSideCousin

Yes, exactly! And Rey's "awakening" seemed to kick off almost immediately after Kylo's trip to Jakku...and then was kicked into high gear in the interrogation.

And if Luke and Ben discovered something corrupt about the origins of the Jedi, it would fit with the Kylo-truly-believes-he's-doing-the-right-thing (but going about it in the wrong way) that many of us suspect. Conversely, Luke thinking that Kylo (possibly) has to be killed could be part of the same ideological split.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Tue 09 May 2017, 9:17 pm

@ReyofLightSide - they may go the Snow White or Hansel and Gretel route with her just to make it different from the heroine's tragic backstory that they come up with for Jyn. Rey and Jyn certainly have far more harsh/tragic heroic orphan back stories than what the OT had for Luke and Leia (they never even seem to mention that she's adopted in the OT from what I remember).

And Rey's awakening is very much kicked off by Kylo showing up on Jakku, starting with BB-8 just happening to end up outside of where she lives out in the middle of nowhere and then her managing to steal/fly a ship he knows intimately via his father. So what happens once the two of them being face to face is very much the culmination of the Awakening, something happens between the two of them feeling the Force. And that may fly in the face of whatever agenda/ideological side that Luke and Snoke are sided with.

snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru Tue 09 May 2017, 9:26 pm

Just to add 2 cents in the whole "Rey and her family" discussion:

I bought Rey's Survival Guide and I started reading it and some things got my attention:

- Rey calls her family "my people". Never "my parents", "my father", "my mother".  It's "her people".
- She was prejudiced against the Church of the Force and called them "crazy" for believing in the Jedi. She even compared them to people who worship the Hutts.
- Rey says she's been on Jakku her whole life.
- She believes her people left her behind as a mistake, and "somebody out there will make things right, someday" (direct quote).
- Jakku is a Code RED planet, according to the Galactic Travel Advisory; hostile environment, minimal to nonexistent services for travelers, law enforcement capabilities are absent, extensive reports of chronic violations of any recognized rule of Galactic law, and commerce is rudimentary and controlled by criminal enterprises.
- There's no currency either; Unkar Plutt controls the commerce and pays his scavengers arbitrarly with food. So yeah, it's very similar to slavery.
- Unkar Plutt "protected" Rey from the beginning. He forbid the scavengers to hurt or harrass her. That's why she has relative freedom -- her own bike, her own home, works alone etc.
- The Falcon is on Jakku for as long as Rey can remember.
- She never heard of Luke. Really.
- Rey collects flowers. She likes them because they are a reminder that "there's beauty everywhere if you look hard enough"  I love you
Piper Maru
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Tue 09 May 2017, 9:50 pm

Piper Maru wrote:Just to add 2 cents in the whole "Rey and her family" discussion:

I bought Rey's Survival Guide and I started reading it and some things got my attention:

- Rey calls her family "my people". Never "my parents", "my father", "my mother".  It's "her people".
- She was prejudiced against the Church of the Force and called them "crazy" for believing in the Jedi. She even compared them to people who worship the Hutts.
- She believes her people left her behind as a mistake, and "somebody out there will make things right, someday" (direct quote).
- Jakku is a Code RED planet, according to the Galactic Travel Advisory; hostile environment, minimal to nonexistent services for travelers, law enforcement capabilities are absent, extensive reports of chronic violations of any recognized rule of Galactic law, and commerce is rudimentary and controlled by criminal enterprises.
- There's no currency either; Unkar Plutt controls the commerce and pays his scavengers arbitrarly with food. So yeah, it's very similar to slavery.
- Unkar Plutt "protected" Rey from the beginning. He forbid the scavengers to hurt or harrass her. That's why she has relative freedom -- her own bike, her own home, works alone etc.
- Rey collects flowers. She likes them because they are a reminder that "there's beauty everywhere if you look hard enough"  I love you
@Piper Maru

This is fascinating. Thanks for sharing. Interesting that Rey calls Luke Skywalker a myth in TFA, but has never heard of him in this book. If she says she's never heard of him, what was the context of that snippet?

IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru Tue 09 May 2017, 9:55 pm

IoJovi wrote:
Piper Maru wrote:Just to add 2 cents in the whole "Rey and her family" discussion:

@Piper Maru

This is fascinating.  Thanks for sharing.  Interesting that Rey calls Luke Skywalker a myth in TFA, but has never heard of him in this book.  If she says she's never heard of him, what was the context of that snippet?  

@IoJovi

It's when she meets Finn. If I'm not mistaken, J.J. said somewhere that this was the original plan and they added the "I thought he was a myth!" line in the last minute.

"He [Finn] also said BB-8 was carrying a map that would reveal the location of Luke Skywalker. I didn't know who that was, which everybody thought was crazy."

The whole book is her journal and she stops writing when she arrives at Takodana.

"I've got to stop writing and get up to the cockpit. Our next stop is Takodana, where we're going to talk to an old friend of Chewie's named Maz. I took a peek at Takodana on the scopes, and it looks like the planets I've dreamed about since I was a kid. Except even in my dreams they weren't this green. I wonder what we'll find down there..."

There's a sketch of Takodana done by her, the book/journal ends and we all know what happens next...
Piper Maru
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Tue 09 May 2017, 10:02 pm

Awesome, thanks again for sharing.  It's interesting that JJ seemed to add all these things supposedly pointing to Rey's link to Luke Skywalker last minute, as if it's just a way to preserve the mystery box.  It tells me that Rey's link to Luke, if there is one, isn't the central part of the story, and it's being made to look that way to cover up the real story arc, if that makes sense.
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Tex Tue 09 May 2017, 10:23 pm

Wow, Really insightful stuff from Rey's journal. Makes me want to jump on the "lost princess" theory bandwagon. How many children do you know who refer to her parents/family as "her people"? Plus, the fangirl in me loves the idea of Rey and Kylo being a "lost" prince and princess.  

I have to shake my head at JJ and his mystery box stuff. Mysteries are fun to a point. I'm sure every time someone gets asked a question regarding who Rey's parents are they just want to say "Thanks JJ" Rolling Eyes . Looking back I can only assume that this whole Rey is a Skywalker debacle was originally planned as a red herring to throw the general public off and later into "utter shock" when a romance happens between her and Kylo cause otherwise it would be the most obvious story structure, which many have pointed out in well written metas. Once you take Reywalker off the table its transparent.
Tex
Tex
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Tue 09 May 2017, 10:33 pm

There was some quote from JJ about how originally they had Rey completely ignorant of Luke, never heard of him, as one of the details about her life on Jakku being so grim and completely out of touch with the rest of the galaxy. Interesting about her keeping a journal, she'd have to be carrying it in her tool bag. Which leads to the question, was it left behind with her staff on the Falcon? Because otherwise if she carried it with her in the bag, you know that a certain nosy Darksider had to have gone through her bag looking for clues because he was so curious about who she is.

Otherwise those details just deflate any fan theories that she had any connection to Luke, Lor San Tekka, or the Church of the Force. Though if she was strong enough that Snoke & Kylo could feel her Awakening in the Force, maybe the CotF people were living out in the desert with no idea that she might've been the source of that power they were vibing off of? And the bits about being left behind with some kind of patronage from Plutt - that has to get explored further with a possible return to Jakku (insert Finn's horrified facial expression here). Plutt may have simply been nice to her because he got paid initially to look after her and then when whomever didn't return, recognized that she was a valuable source of labor/income for him. But they clearly showed that whomever left her behind with him, so he's going to turn up again once the story is ready to spill the details about what happened. And the Code Red statement definitely means that this isn't a place where a family would chose to visit or settle down on to raise their children. Also goes with the Qui Gonn quote in TPM when he arrives in Mos Eisley, "this is a place where you find scavengers and other people who don't want to be found."
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Tue 09 May 2017, 10:35 pm

Tex wrote:Wow, Really insightful stuff from Rey's journal. Makes me want to jump on the "lost princess" theory bandwagon. How many children do you know who refer to her parents/family as "her people"? Plus, the fangirl in me loves the idea of Rey and Kylo being a "lost" prince and princess.  

I have to shake my head at JJ and his mystery box stuff. Mysteries are fun to a point. I'm sure every time someone gets asked a question regarding who Rey's parents are they just want to say "Thanks JJ" Rolling Eyes . Looking back I can only assume that this whole Rey is a Skywalker debacle was originally planned as a red herring to throw the general public off and later into "utter shock" when a romance happens between her and Kylo cause otherwise it would be the most obvious story structure, which many have pointed out in well written metas. Once you take Reywalker off the table its transparent.
@Tex

The argument the majority of the Reywalkers have is that Star Wars is and has always been about the Skywalkers, therefore Rey, the main protagonist, has to be one too. The first part is true, and I can't blame them for thinking that IF and only IF you remove the UST between her and Kylo. However, Reylo absolutely falls within these parameters, making Rey (eventually) part of the family.

Rey being Luke's hadn't crossed my mind on my first viewing, and I think that's a huge reason why Reylo was so much more apparent.
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen Tue 09 May 2017, 10:45 pm

If they wanted Luke to end up disappointing Rey, as they seem to, I can see why they changed it. Why would Rey care or be surprised about him being questionable if she didn't know him at all? If he's a myth and a legend figure that she knows, then it makes sense that she expects more from him.
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Tex Tue 09 May 2017, 10:50 pm

@IoJovi

And I totally get where Reywalkers are coming from. Sometimes it just feels like they are beating a dead horse. Like you it's because I see the UST between Rey and Kylo. I recall looking around the theater like "I'm I the only one getting this vibe? Just me ok..." lol. Obviously I wasn't otherwise we wouldn't be here, but I digress. Again I agree that her being apart of the family via Reylo continues the Skywalker saga. Was it Kathleen Kennedy who said that the main trilogy would always be about the Skywalkers? Not to be crude, but If so we know that Kylo has got to knock someone up at some point. Otherwise they have to pull some mystery sibling, cousin or distant relative out of a hat.
Tex
Tex
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Tue 09 May 2017, 10:56 pm

Tex wrote:@IoJovi

And I totally get where Reywalkers are coming from. Sometimes it just feels like they are beating a dead horse. Like you it's because I see the UST between Rey and Kylo. I recall looking around the theater like "I'm I the only one getting this vibe? Just me ok..." lol. Obviously I wasn't otherwise we wouldn't be here, but I digress. Again I agree that her being apart of the family via Reylo continues the Skywalker saga. Was it Kathleen Kennedy who said that the main trilogy would always be about the Skywalkers? Not to be crude, but If so we know that Kylo has got to knock someone up at some point. Otherwise they have to pull some mystery sibling, cousin or distant relative out of a hat.
@Tex

Right. I mean, I guess that Disney could decide that they were done with the Skywalker saga/trilogies... But I just can't see them completely closing the door on any possible future Skywalker stories after one trilogy. I think they have to at least leave the door open to Kylo/Ben procreating at some point.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Piper Maru Tue 09 May 2017, 11:03 pm

snufkin wrote:There was some quote from JJ about how originally they had Rey completely ignorant of Luke, never heard of him, as one of the details about her life on Jakku being so grim and completely out of touch with the rest of the galaxy. Interesting about her keeping a journal, she'd have to be carrying it in her tool bag. Which leads to the question, was it left behind with her staff on the Falcon? Because otherwise if she carried it with her in the bag, you know that a certain nosy Darksider had to have gone through her bag looking for clues because he was so curious about who she is.

Otherwise those details just deflate any fan theories that she had any connection to Luke, Lor San Tekka, or the Church of the Force. Though if she was strong enough that Snoke & Kylo could feel her Awakening in the Force, maybe the CotF people were living out in the desert with no idea that she might've been the source of that power they were vibing off of? And the bits about being left behind with some kind of patronage from Plutt - that has to get explored further with a possible return to Jakku (insert Finn's horrified facial expression here). Plutt may have simply been nice to her because he got paid initially to look after her and then when whomever didn't return, recognized that she was a valuable source of labor/income for him. But they clearly showed that whomever left her behind with him, so he's going to turn up again once the story is ready to spill the details about what happened. And the Code Red statement definitely means that this isn't a place where a family would chose to visit or settle down on to raise their children. Also goes with the Qui Gonn quote in TPM when he arrives in Mos Eisley, "this is a place where you find scavengers and other people who don't want to be found."
@snufkin

Yes, Rey believes that Unkar Plutt leaves her alone because she is a valuable scavenger, but it's obvious that there's more to it.

What I liked about the book was how they showed Rey as a curious person. She speculates about Jakku's Observatory just like us (lol) and it's interesting how many of our doubts are hers. Rey doesn't know what the hell is going on in the Observatory. She never went there and scavengers don't go there either, so she writes theories about what is hidden under the base. It shows us that the mystery is way bigger than just her parentage.

In another part of the book she's talking about food and she compares Imperial and New Republic rations and I think it's a mix of meta commentary and foreshadowing:

"Dinner is the same thing every night: survival rations. The only variety is whether I get Imperial rations or the New Republic kind. Both are pretty much the same-- the New Republic rations taste a bit better but the Imperial stuff is less likely to be stale after all these years."
Piper Maru
Piper Maru
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Tue 09 May 2017, 11:11 pm

Piper Maru wrote:
snufkin wrote:There was some quote from JJ about how originally they had Rey completely ignorant of Luke, never heard of him, as one of the details about her life on Jakku being so grim and completely out of touch with the rest of the galaxy. Interesting about her keeping a journal, she'd have to be carrying it in her tool bag. Which leads to the question, was it left behind with her staff on the Falcon? Because otherwise if she carried it with her in the bag, you know that a certain nosy Darksider had to have gone through her bag looking for clues because he was so curious about who she is.

@snufkin

Yes, Rey believes that Unkar Plutt leaves her alone because she is a valuable scavenger, but it's obvious that there's more to it.

What I liked about the book was how they showed Rey as a curious person. She speculates about Jakku's Observatory just like us (lol) and it's interesting how many of our doubts are hers. Rey doesn't know what the hell is going on in the Observatory. She never went there and scavengers don't go there either, so she writes theories about what is hidden under the base. It shows us that the mystery is way bigger than just her parentage.

In another part of the book she's talking about food and she compares Imperial and New Republic rations and I think it's a mix of meta commentary and foreshadowing:

"Dinner is the same thing every night: survival rations. The only variety is whether I get Imperial rations or the New Republic kind. Both are pretty much the same-- the New Republic rations taste a bit better but the Imperial stuff is less likely to be stale after all these years."
@Piper Maru

Yeah I'm reasonably certain that Plutt is going to return in the future because he hold the keys to whatever the Hell happened to her. Plus he's played by Simon Pegg, who wrote his Master's Thesis about Star Wars. Granted JJ clearly doled out cameos to various friends but they were all Stormtroopers, including Daniel Craig's role. But those were all one and done walk on parts. Meanwhile it's not out of bounds to wonder if Pegg getting that specific role of somebody who has a relationship to the ST's protagonist means it's a little more substantial and central to one of its biggest mysteries. I'd lept to the conclusion from the beginning that if he's already been tipped off by the FO and Hux's soldiers to keep an eye out for BB-8 (with the offer of something that's worth more than 60 portions), that he has some kind of relationship there. Probably enough that he may be the person who tipped them off to LST's arrival and also the intel about Rey being a scavenger.

Tex wrote:Otherwise they have to pull some mystery sibling, cousin or distant relative out of a hat.

Well that's how we ended up with the character of Luke's hidden twin sister that Leigh Brackett and George Lucas had planned was merged with Leia because he decided to wrap up the OT after RotJ. You'd think with all the changes he made for the Special Edition cuts of the OT, first on the list would've been removing this shot rather than adding in all the special effects, creatures, and party scenes

Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - Page 11 Maxresdefault
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Tex Tue 09 May 2017, 11:28 pm

ISeeAnIsland wrote:

@Tex

Right. I mean, I guess that Disney could decide that they were done with the Skywalker saga/trilogies...  But I just can't see them completely closing the door on any possible future Skywalker stories after one trilogy. I think they have to at least leave the door open to Kylo/Ben procreating at some point.
@ISeeAnIsland

I could see Disney/Lucasfilm hanging up the Skywalker saga for a 10 year period while they focus on expanding the Star Wars universe on film. This would help build up the hype train again for all the fans. And when they do continue the Skywalker saga, cause why stop printing money. Are audiences going to want to be told the story of Kylo's child who he had with...some random person we've never heard of? Or with Rey? Who together embody the balance of the force? And who possibly could have an epic/tragic romance unfold onscreen for audiences. Sorry if this topic is getting sort of strange lol.
Tex
Tex
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Tue 09 May 2017, 11:36 pm

Tex wrote:
ISeeAnIsland wrote:

@Tex

Right. I mean, I guess that Disney could decide that they were done with the Skywalker saga/trilogies...  But I just can't see them completely closing the door on any possible future Skywalker stories after one trilogy. I think they have to at least leave the door open to Kylo/Ben procreating at some point.
@ISeeAnIsland

I could see Disney/Lucasfilm hanging up the Skywalker saga for a 10 year period while they focus on expanding the Star Wars universe on film. This would help build up the hype train again for all the fans. And when they do continue the Skywalker saga, cause why stop printing money. Are audiences going to want to be told the story of Kylo's child who he had with...some random person we've never heard of? Or with Rey? Who together embody the balance of the force? And who possibly could have an epic/tragic romance unfold onscreen for audiences. Sorry if this topic is getting sort of strange lol.
@Tex

Right. I fully expect them to take a 5-10 year break between trilogies after IX is over to concentrate on spin-offs/tv/other media. But I can't see there NEVER being another trilogy.

What I think would be interesting to see (and what we haven't seen yet in any of the trilogies) would be Rey and Kylo as actual parents and how that affects their reactions to whatever galactic crisis arises as the conflict for that trilogy. We've had a lot of orphans/dead parents/lost parents/absent parents in the Star Wars movies, but I'd think that as parents, Rey and Kylo would very actively want to give their children better childhoods and more understanding/involved parents than what they had.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next