Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thrawn Book Discussion (Spoilers, Predictions, Etc.)

+9
AhsokaTano
ISeeAnIsland
Darth_Awakened
MrsWindu
Armadeus
jakkusun
SanghaRen
vaderito
SoloSideCousin
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Thrawn Book Discussion (Spoilers, Predictions, Etc.) Empty Thrawn Book Discussion (Spoilers, Predictions, Etc.)

Post by SoloSideCousin Sat 03 Jun 2017, 5:34 am

Okay, I just finished reading the Thrawn book.  Anyone else finish it? @panki, @sangharen, @applecrumble122, @jakkusun, @Irina de France, @CienaRee, @ISeeanIsland, @IoJovi, @vaderito, @Darth_Awakened and of course, @Darth Dingbat  ... anyone else I am forgetting?

I looked to see if anyone had started a thread on it, and I could find anything.  (Granted it's super late here, so I might have missed the thread, lol).  But I have some thoughts on it and would like to hear anyone else's thoughts and discuss the book with them). Very Happy

I'll start the ball rolling.  Big Spoilers included:

Spoiler:
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Thrawn Book Discussion (Spoilers, Predictions, Etc.) Empty Re: Thrawn Book Discussion (Spoilers, Predictions, Etc.)

Post by vaderito Sat 03 Jun 2017, 6:02 am

@SoloSideCousin I love it too. Fast paced, engaging main characters 

Spoiler:
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Thrawn Book Discussion (Spoilers, Predictions, Etc.) Empty Re: Thrawn Book Discussion (Spoilers, Predictions, Etc.)

Post by SoloSideCousin Sat 03 Jun 2017, 6:37 am

vaderito wrote:@SoloSideCousin I love it too. Fast paced, engaging main characters 

Spoiler:
@vaderito

Yes! I became completely involved with the non-movie characters.  That is not always the case with these books.

Spoiler:
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Sat 03 Jun 2017, 7:45 am

Agreed!
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by jakkusun Sun 04 Jun 2017, 6:42 am

@solosidecousin Thanks for tagging me. I'd be interested in discussing. Unfortunately, I haven't read it yet because I've been stuck on a library waiting list for the book, but I think might get my hands on it soon.
jakkusun
jakkusun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen Mon 05 Jun 2017, 6:02 am

@SoloSideCousin : thank you for creating the thread. @panki and I had a couple of exchange in the SW Rebels Season 4 thread about Thrawn.

Do we have to use the spoiler tags in a spoiler thread? I am lazy and I sometimes cannot open the spoilers depending on which device I use.

I am the opinion that there will be no character crossover between books/animated series and the ST. There might be names being mentioned as an Easter egg, but even there I am not sure. I know they did that in R1, but that movie was fan service. I think TLJ will be a different beast and will go its own way redefining the mythology with the new characters. Any link to other existing products will be treated as a bonus. The GA is still the main target audience, I think, and you would not want to lose them. They might use parallels. A character in the ST that reminds you of a character in a book, but that would imply that everyone is working closely together to have similar character background and development.

Btw, if I think about all the characters I'd like to be mentioned, the list is getting long: Rae Sloane, Ransolm Casterfo, Lady Carise, Thrawn, Eli, Hera and Kanan (limited chance here), Ezra and I am missing some, I am sure. So sometimes, I'd even prefer if they did not mention anyone. That way, they are still all of equal importance and we can continue to potentially enjoy their presence in more books and/or animated series. I wonder what Dave Filoni will come up with after SWR is wrapped up... Question

I can see the UR being mentioned, but not explored in the ST. The best candidate to mention them is Snoke and it'd make sense he comes from there or has been there. However, I could see them keeping the UR as a mysterious place. Sometimes the less you see, the scarier it is. Example : the first Blair Witch Project versus the second one. Different genre, I know. I am waiting for the book Phasma to reveal if she is a former feral kid. If she is, she might have been on the ship to the UR and we could get some insight on the UR there. Could be, though, that Phasma has completely different origins. She is utterly polite for a former feral kid with her "Sir" here and there. Another thing that might go against the UR being expanded on in the ST is that if linked with Snoke, which is so far the most logical assumption, and with RJ saying that Snoke is not a big focus in TLJ, well, the UR sound more like something kept for the hungry devoted fans. Or they are kept for episode IX as a foil to what I think will be more important i.e. the Jedi Temple and the story of the Jedi. I wonder if Luke and Ben could have gone to the UR... Anyways, there's only so much you can pack in a movie.

Governor Pryce is to me pretty close to the most evil character ever because she represents one of the biggest problem of humanity: greed. Actually, the fact that she goes great length to save her parents does not make her less evil for me. I have my problems with characters walking over corpses to save their loved ones and tbh I am not even sure she does it out of love. I would even ask here "What's love anyway?" since everyone seems to define it differently. Funnily, I am re-watching Lost and just finished the second season. What Michael did, out of "love", is despiccable to me. I realize that I am in the minority because many think that love for your children matters more than anything else, but I can't wrap my head around the fact that compromising your values to save your kid is a heavy burden on your kid's shoulders and if everyone was behaving this way, ready to kill others for your chosen ones, what would the world be like? I guess, what it is now more or less where most people are "Me and my family are ok, scr*** others." Guess, it's a good thing, I don't have kids Smile

This post is getting too long so I'll use up another one later.
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen Sun 18 Jun 2017, 4:29 am

Don't know where to put that, but it's an interview of Timothy Zahn. I like how he describes the OT trio and that he likes Metallic-Bikini-Leia strangling Jabba and why. It's actually one of my favorite scenes in the OT. To me the fact she was in this metal bikini always added something to the scene. Jabba degraded her into this display doll slave and she turned it back on him. I find it very satisying.

Anyhow, he's talking about the inspiration for Thrawn mentioning Romans, which does make sense.

I found it fascinating being at the writer panel at the SWC how different each writer is. Timothy Zahn looks like the hard-working academic writer and I think he has a systematic approach to writing. A bit like Thrawn with military tactics Smile Chuck Wendig looked more like the rock n' roll guy, cracking jokes left and right. Delilah Dawson looked like the determined newcomer and I can't wait to read Phasma - she writes with a playlist and one included the Fury Road soundtrack!

SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by jakkusun Mon 19 Jun 2017, 12:36 pm

Okay I finally read it. xD Probably my favorite Star Wars book right now, after Bloodline.

I thought Thrawn seemed a lot more "good" and even noble in this book than how I saw him in Rebels. I wonder if that is just because this story is from his perspective, though. I certainly do like the character a lot more now. And yeah I feel like I have to rewatch the last season of Rebels because I think the whole way I view the character will be affected by this book.

Because are we intended to believe that he agrees with a lot of rebel ideals, but believes in achieving them through the current power structure? I feel that might be a bit naive of him xD but I suppose it is one way of doing things if he actually believes that the emperor will eventually die and he will be able to influence who gets put in power. Though it means he leaves Wookiees enslaved while he waits to try and change the government for the better. Though, I suppose in the Aftermath books the New Republic sure took their time freeing slaves, too. Gosh why does no one in the galaxy care about freeing slaves?

It is funny that he is similar to Sherlock because Thrawn's voice actor was a villain in Sherlock. haha just a cool coincidence.

I was surprised that I actually kind of liked Pryce, even though she is so cruel and selfish...I found her progression into worse and worse crimes when trying to cover up her initial shooting of the guy who wouldn't let her get her parents out made a lot of sense to me...I could empathize with her sense of almost panic? (idk maybe I was panicking cause I felt like I was going to get caught for all the murders right along with her xD) and even though what she did was horrible, I found it easy to put myself in her shoes and understand her actions, which is scary. I like how it seemed as if the whole galaxy was against her and she was against the whole galaxy. I found her very interesting and a great foil/opposite for Thrawn.

I love Eli, too, I wish he could show up in the next season of Rebels, though I doubt it. I hope Thrawn and Eli can see each other again before Thrawn dies but what if Thrawn dies in Rebels? Anyway, I feel like Eli was maybe a sort of self-insert, every-man type character, which I liked cause it felt like I was getting personally tutored by Thrawn in strategy and tactics. xD

And yeah it would be great if whatever threat Thrawn was talking about it in the Unknown Regions were a reference to Snoke or something related to the ST.
jakkusun
jakkusun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin Fri 06 Oct 2017, 7:57 pm

Hey, some guy on Reddit is saying that there will be a sequel to Thrawn coming out next summer. I hope it's true. I liked that book a lot.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starwarsspeculation/comments/74qhz6/grand_admiral_thrawn_will_return_next_summer_in_a/
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Armadeus Fri 06 Oct 2017, 8:27 pm

Loved the Thrawn novel.

Eli is definitely a new favourite of mine. I like how he's just a normal person who had his own plans for how his life was going to turn out before he and Thrawn were thrown together. I also like how, in the early parts of the book, his perception of Thrawn is a perfect bend of annoyance/fascination, but then as the book nears the end he and Thrawn have really become friends - well, they have mutual trust/respect, at the very least.

Spoiler:

@jakkusun

There is a disconnect between the Thrawn in Rebels and the Thrawn in the novel. The former is a straight-up bad guy, but the novel gives us someone a bit more interesting.
Armadeus
Armadeus
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

https://www.fictionpress.com/u/564105/

Back to top Go down

Post by jakkusun Fri 06 Oct 2017, 11:30 pm

@SoloSideCousin It's true! I'm very excited! https://twitter.com/starwars/status/916403734049181697

@Armadeus I wonder if the upcoming season might fix that disconnect or not.
jakkusun
jakkusun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Sat 07 Oct 2017, 7:35 am

SoloSideCousin wrote:Hey, some guy on Reddit is saying that there will be a sequel to Thrawn coming out next summer. I hope it's true. I liked that book a lot.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starwarsspeculation/comments/74qhz6/grand_admiral_thrawn_will_return_next_summer_in_a/
@SoloSideCousin

me too! Big fan, would love a sequel especially if it takes place with the Chiss. I also want Thrown and Eli to finally admit their feelings.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen Fri 24 Nov 2017, 1:46 pm

SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Fri 24 Nov 2017, 2:25 pm

I love Thrawn book so hopefully the sequel is just as fun.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsWindu Fri 23 Mar 2018, 5:39 pm

I didn't know there was even a Thrawn thread till I did a search. I only have a hazy knowledge of Thrawn through watching a few Rebels with my son. But I'm really intrigued after the last episode aired. Reading through this thread I think it would be wise for me to read the first book before the next one is released in July.

They've released this excerpt which has really raised my curiosity as it includes Batuu- both Vader and Thrawn have history there.

http://www.starwars.com/news/thrawn-alliances-excerpt

“I have sensed a disturbance in the Force.”

Emperor Palpatine paused, stretching out his thoughts to the two men standing before his throne, awaiting their reactions.

No. Not men. Of course not men. Men were insignificant, pitiable creatures, fit only to be ruled, or intimidated, or sent to die in battle. These were far more than mere men.

A Chiss Grand Admiral, a strategic and tactical genius. A Sith Lord, ruthless and powerful in the Force.

They were watching him, Palpatine knew, each trying in his own way to glean some understanding as to why they’d been summoned. Grand Admiral Thrawn was observing his Emperor’s voice, face, and body stance. Lord Vader, in contrast, was stretching out with the Force toward his master.

Palpatine could feel all that. But he could also feel the tension between these, his two most useful servants.

The tension wasn’t simply because each wished to be the one standing alone at his master’s side at the center of Imperial power. That was certainly part of it.

But there was more. Much more. Thrawn had recently suffered a serious defeat, permitting a small group of rebels he’d successfully trapped on the planet Atollon to slip through his fingers. That failure had earned Vader’s contempt.

“This disturbance comes from neither,” Palpatine said. “It is something new. Something different.” He looked back and forth between his servants. “Something that will require both of you working together to uncover.”

Again, neither of them visibly reacted. But Palpatine could sense their surprise. Their surprise, and their reflexive protest.

Working together?

“You surprise me, Admiral Thrawn,” Palpatine said. “I would have expected a certain eagerness to journey within sight of your home.”

Thrawn’s glowing red eyes narrowed slightly, and Palpatine felt his sudden caution. “Excuse me, Your Majesty?”

“The disturbance is located at the edge of your Unknown Regions,” the Emperor said. “It appears to be centered on a planet named Batuu.” Again, he sensed a reaction to the name. This time, the reaction came from both of them. “I believe you have heard of it?”

Thrawn’s eyes were hooded, the expression on that blue-skinned face swirling with memories. “Yes,” he murmured. “I have indeed heard of it.”

As, of course, had Vader. It was the place where he and Thrawn had long ago interfered, albeit unwittingly, with one of Palpatine’s plans.

But again, Vader remained silent.

“Very well, then,” Palpatine said. “You, Admiral, will command.” He looked at Vader. “You, Lord Vader, will deal with the disturbance.”

“Yes, Your Highness,” Thrawn said.

“Yes, my master,” Vader said.

Palpatine leaned back into the depths of his throne. “Then go.”

The two servants turned and walked toward the door between the double line of red-cloaked Imperial Guards silently lining their path. Palpatine watched them go: the Chiss in his white Grand Admiral’s uniform, the Sith garbed in black, his long cloak swirling behind him.

The solution to this particular puzzle would indeed require both of them. But more importantly, it would address Palpatine’s lingering questions.

He smiled thinly. Time for Thrawn to face his future.

Time for Vader to face his past.
MrsWindu
MrsWindu
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened Sat 24 Mar 2018, 3:05 am

MrsWindu wrote:I didn't know there was even a Thrawn thread till I did a search. I only have a hazy knowledge of Thrawn through watching a few Rebels with my son. But I'm really intrigued after the last episode aired. Reading through this thread I think it would be wise for me to read the first book before the next one is released in July.

They've released this excerpt which has really raised my curiosity as it includes Batuu-  both Vader and Thrawn have history there.

Emperor Palpatine paused, stretching out his thoughts to the two men standing before his throne, awaiting their reactions.

No. Not men. Of course not men. Men were insignificant, pitiable creatures, fit only to be ruled, or intimidated, or sent to die in battle. These were far more than mere men.

A Chiss Grand Admiral, a strategic and tactical genius. A Sith Lord, ruthless and powerful in the Force.

They were watching him, Palpatine knew, each trying in his own way to glean some understanding as to why they’d been summoned. Grand Admiral Thrawn was observing his Emperor’s voice, face, and body stance. Lord Vader, in contrast, was stretching out with the Force toward his master.

Palpatine could feel all that. But he could also feel the tension between these, his two most useful servants.

The tension wasn’t simply because each wished to be the one standing alone at his master’s side at the center of Imperial power. That was certainly part of it.

But there was more. Much more. Thrawn had recently suffered a serious defeat, permitting a small group of rebels he’d successfully trapped on the planet Atollon to slip through his fingers. That failure had earned Vader’s contempt.

“This disturbance comes from neither,” Palpatine said. “It is something new. Something different.” He looked back and forth between his servants. “Something that will require both of you working together to uncover.”

Again, neither of them visibly reacted. But Palpatine could sense their surprise. Their surprise, and their reflexive protest.

Working together?

“You surprise me, Admiral Thrawn,” Palpatine said. “I would have expected a certain eagerness to journey within sight of your home.”

Thrawn’s glowing red eyes narrowed slightly, and Palpatine felt his sudden caution. “Excuse me, Your Majesty?”

“The disturbance is located at the edge of your Unknown Regions,” the Emperor said. “It appears to be centered on a planet named Batuu.” Again, he sensed a reaction to the name. This time, the reaction came from both of them. “I believe you have heard of it?”

Thrawn’s eyes were hooded, the expression on that blue-skinned face swirling with memories. “Yes,” he murmured. “I have indeed heard of it.”

As, of course, had Vader. It was the place where he and Thrawn had long ago interfered, albeit unwittingly, with one of Palpatine’s plans.

“Very well, then,” Palpatine said. “You, Admiral, will command.” He looked at Vader. “You, Lord Vader, will deal with the disturbance.”

The two servants turned and walked toward the door between the double line of red-cloaked Imperial Guards silently lining their path. Palpatine watched them go: the Chiss in his white Grand Admiral’s uniform, the Sith garbed in black, his long cloak swirling behind him.

The solution to this particular puzzle would indeed require both of them. But more importantly, it would address Palpatine’s lingering questions.

@MrsWindu

Wow! It's interesting. I wonder what's on Batuu that has to do with Vader's past.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Batuu

Though, I'am wondering if Batuu is another "dead end" in the canon only being mentioned in the novel (like many things in Bloodline or Aftermath that we thought important at the time, or nonetheless will have some appearance in IX.

Color me confused if they have decided to build a whole new place as a part of the Galaxy's Edge if it will feature only in one novel.
Darth_Awakened
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin Sat 24 Mar 2018, 10:31 am

Darth_Awakened wrote:
MrsWindu wrote:I didn't know there was even a Thrawn thread till I did a search. I only have a hazy knowledge of Thrawn through watching a few Rebels with my son. But I'm really intrigued after the last episode aired. Reading through this thread I think it would be wise for me to read the first book before the next one is released in July.

They've released this excerpt which has really raised my curiosity as it includes Batuu-  both Vader and Thrawn have history there.

Working together?

@MrsWindu

Wow! It's interesting. I wonder what's on Batuu that has to do with Vader's past.

Though, I'am wondering if Batuu is another "dead end" in the canon only being mentioned in the novel (like many things in Bloodline or Aftermath that we thought important at the time, or nonetheless will have some appearance in IX.

Color me confused if they have decided to build a whole new place as a part of the Galaxy's Edge if it will feature only in one novel.
@Darth_Awakened

I don't think it's a dead end just that very reason. They won't build a "planet" that only 1% of the audience has heard of. It will be in the movie somehow.
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Sat 24 Mar 2018, 11:54 am

SoloSideCousin wrote:
Darth_Awakened wrote:

Working together?

@MrsWindu

@Darth_Awakened

I don't think it's a dead end just that very reason. They won't build a "planet" that only 1% of the audience has heard of. It will be in the movie somehow.
@SoloSideCousin

Same. I remember that the original synopsis/planet announcement for Galaxy's Edge described it as a "good place to hide from the First Order," so I'd think it would have some relevance in the ST. I think it's likely that we'll get at least a passing reference to it in IX.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Sat 24 Mar 2018, 4:19 pm

I'm excited about the sequel and I'm shipping Thrawn/Eli so hopefully they become a couple on screen too (cause obviously they were off screen).
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AhsokaTano Mon 25 Jun 2018, 4:14 pm

https://www.starwars.com/news/thrawn-alliances-exclusive-excerpt

New excerpt and pictures . Can’t wait for this book. Smile
AhsokaTano
AhsokaTano
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen Mon 25 Jun 2018, 4:27 pm

AhsokaTano wrote:https://www.starwars.com/news/thrawn-alliances-exclusive-excerpt

New excerpt and pictures . Can’t wait for this book. Smile
@AhsokaTano

I have been looking desperately at the release date for Kindle, hoping it’ll change and get issued sooner. I love that excerpt too. The exchange between Anakin and Thrawn is just delicious.
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Man Without A Star Tue 26 Jun 2018, 7:49 am

I am beyond excited for more Thrawn content! The fact that we get more Vader is just the cherry on top of the cake!
Man Without A Star
Man Without A Star
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by AhsokaTano Wed 11 Jul 2018, 3:49 pm

New Thrawn Alliances novel features Padme on a mission in Batuu:
https://www.starwars.com/news/thrawn-alliances-exclusive-excerpt-2
Thrawn Book Discussion (Spoilers, Predictions, Etc.) 7826f510
AhsokaTano
AhsokaTano
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Fri 20 Jul 2018, 11:32 pm

With the release of the Thrawn Alliances book right around the corner..
I'm just wondering if anyone has read the series- Thrawn comic adaption of Thrawn novel/s (?) - are they good?

I've ordered Thrawn Alliances but am completely new to Thrawn and any of his character's existing content. Hopefully the book will make some sense anyway. I look forward to hearing what you all think of it!
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Man Without A Star Sat 21 Jul 2018, 2:16 am

@DeeBee

Have you read the Thrawn novel?
Man Without A Star
Man Without A Star
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next