Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Jedi General Discussion

+72
Kyla Ren
Darth Rowan
RealAnise
ladyMxx
Mila Lazarus
DeeBee
guardienne
Sad Man
Man Without A Star
SW_Heroine_Journey
LadyGaufrette
KiraRen2015
Riri
loversinthestorm
Atenais
giaciak2
Lily Snape
Armadeus
IoJovi
SanghaRen
rey09
bashfulblueeyes3
kroi
GiGiMarie
Mana
Rei of Sunshine
Irina de France
Tex
followmylead-kylodriver
Mila95
KnightsofReylo_2015
Apriljandy
Let The Past Die
SheLitAFire
Helix
MindAndMagic
lauvamp
EchoBase
unicorn
Darth_marshmallow
vaderito
Saracene
Good-olio Raeh
SkyStar
AhsokaTano
12 Parsnips
Moonlight13
tukicarreno
PrincessPorg
Ramblingrose
Starliteprism
Darth_Awakened
californiagirl
twilekempire
Birdwoman
BB-Rey
MrsWindu
ISeeAnIsland
ZioRen
nickandnora
Darth Dementor
special_cases
rawpowah
Night Huntress
Kessel
SoloSideCousin
Dar-ren19
snufkin
Teo oswald
Cowgirlsamurai
Kylo Rey
motherofpearl1
76 posters

Page 14 of 27 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20 ... 27  Next

Go down

The Last Jedi General Discussion - Page 14 Empty Re: The Last Jedi General Discussion

Post by motherofpearl1 Mon 30 Apr 2018, 12:50 am

Off topic but...it seems Marvel's latest Avengers flick is being slated to outdo TLJ at the box office....sigh. Rolling Eyes Mad
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

The Last Jedi General Discussion - Page 14 Empty Re: The Last Jedi General Discussion

Post by Saracene Mon 30 Apr 2018, 1:18 am

motherofpearl1 wrote:Off topic but...it seems Marvel's latest Avengers flick is being slated to outdo TLJ at the box office....sigh. Rolling Eyes Mad
@motherofpearl1

It could outdo TFA as well. Wouldn't be surprised, it's basically Avengers on Steroids.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 Mon 30 Apr 2018, 2:20 am

I'm actually a comic book movie fan, but having read the plot of this one I intend to avoid it - the Captain A trilogy were the best of the bunch in my opinion. I'm sure its huge entertainment but....these days I like a bit more to a film than visuals!
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rawpowah Mon 30 Apr 2018, 4:35 am

Infinity Wars is an event movie ten years in the making. I'm not surprised it's doing so well. I'm going to watch it soon, so I guess Marvel will get my money Laughing
rawpowah
rawpowah
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases Mon 30 Apr 2018, 4:48 am

I doubt IW will have long\strong legs so BO won't be bigger than TFA. Maybe bigger than TLJ but it was sequel and wasn't in such unique position as IW and BP. Hmm, I doubt IW2 will be similar cultural event that can repeat big BO and TLJ's BO.
special_cases
special_cases
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism Mon 30 Apr 2018, 7:00 am

special_cases wrote:I doubt IW will have long\strong legs so BO won't be bigger than TFA. Maybe bigger than TLJ but it was sequel and wasn't in such unique position as IW and BP. Hmm, I doubt IW2 will be similar cultural event that can repeat big BO and TLJ's BO.
@special_cases

IW already beat TFA for best opening weekend. I watched it last week and will most probably watch it one or two more times. It was pretty fantastic.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/worldwideopenings.htm
Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 Mon 30 Apr 2018, 7:08 am

I'm sorry but whenever I see the initials BO (box office of course) I can't help but giggle.... lol!
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl Mon 30 Apr 2018, 9:40 am

IW has the biggest opening weekend to date, and I already fully expected it to make more than TLJ to begin with. However, it is not the holiday season, and Deadpool 2 and Solo are due within the next month. Plus Marvel movies don't usually have the legs that SW movies do.
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 Mon 30 Apr 2018, 9:44 am

californiagirl wrote:IW has the biggest opening weekend to date, and I already fully expected it to make more than TLJ to begin with. However, it is not the holiday season, and Deadpool 2 and Solo are due within the next month. Plus Marvel movies don't usually have the legs that SW movies do.
@californiagirl

I was actually a bit surprised they didn't release it at Easter, or Whitsun.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl Mon 30 Apr 2018, 9:57 am

@motherofpearl1 It was slated to come out this weekend, because a big Marvel movie comes out the first weekend of May every year. Just a couple months ago they pulled the release forward a week so it would come out the same day everywhere, with no test screenings, and the premiere less than a week before it came out, like a SW movie. The other big action movies are probably grateful they get some breathing room now.
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases Mon 30 Apr 2018, 4:54 pm

Starliteprism wrote:
special_cases wrote:I doubt IW will have long\strong legs so BO won't be bigger than TFA. Maybe bigger than TLJ but it was sequel and wasn't in such unique position as IW and BP. Hmm, I doubt IW2 will be similar cultural event that can repeat big BO and TLJ's BO.
@special_cases

IW already beat TFA for best opening weekend. I watched it last week and will most probably watch it one or two more times. It was pretty fantastic.

@Starliteprism

Yeah, I know, but I can't see it having long legs like TFA. OW is good, everything is about OW numbers right now lol, but IW is in unique position for big movie. It's pretty much like SEASON FINALE on tv but at the cinema.
special_cases
special_cases
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism Mon 30 Apr 2018, 5:28 pm

special_cases wrote:
Starliteprism wrote:
@special_cases

@Starliteprism

Yeah, I know, but I can't see it having long legs like TFA. OW is good, everything is about OW numbers right now lol, but IW is in unique position for big movie. It's pretty much like SEASON FINALE on tv but at the cinema.
@special_cases

Welp...I think it will be interesting to watch unfold, regardless on whether or not it has long legs.
Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by special_cases Mon 30 Apr 2018, 8:25 pm

@Starliteprism Yeah! Agreed, very interesting because we haven't seen something like this before.
special_cases
special_cases
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Tue 01 May 2018, 10:21 pm

Found this article by chance while reading The Atlantic and it's interesting that it got overlooked after TFA's release because it touches on so much that we've been discussing for 2+ years now. Also surprising that it's in The Atlantic, the same pub that put out the "it's a wacky fan fiction thing that female fans like to do which predicted a plot twist" articles. Because clearly, they aren't connecting the dots. The crux is about cultural differences in Children's Stories, but also about the differences between pagan influences, which the article touches on the cultural geography of the UK versus the rest of Europe and North America, versus Christian influences. Which are at the heart of the US and Canadian children's tales because both countries were driven by the "New Jerusalem" myth of colonialism. In short, a lot of us who aren't screaming our heads off about how Kylo needs to be punished are more open to the Pagan influenced themes of these type of stories and given that Irving Kershner talked about how ESB was meant to be a fairy tale, that's a reading a lot of supposedly well-versed fans miss:

Why the British Tell Better Children’s Stories

Even well into the 19th and even 20th centuries, many believed they could be whisked away to a parallel universe. Shape shifters have long haunted the castles of clans claiming seals and bears as ancestors. “Gaelic culture teaches we needn’t fear the dark side,” Bateman says. Death is neither “a portal to heaven nor hell, but instead a continued life on earth where spirits are released to shadow the living.” A tear in this fabric is all it takes for a story to begin. Think Harry Potter, The Chronicles of Narnia, The Dark Is Rising, Peter Pan, The Golden Compass—all of which feature parallel worlds

Pagan folktales are less about morality and more about characters like the trickster who triumphs through wit and skill: Bilbo Baggins outwits Gollum with a guessing game; the mouse in The Gruffalo avoids being eaten by tricking a hungry owl and fox. Griswold calls tricksters the “Lords of Misrule” who appeal to a child’s natural desire to subvert authority and celebrate naughtiness: “Children embrace a logic more pagan than adult.” And yet Bateman says in pagan myth it’s the young who possess the qualities needed to confront evil. Further, each side has opposing views of naughtiness and children: Pagan babies are born innocent; Christian children are born in sin and need correcting. Like Jody in The Yearling who, forced to kill his pet deer, must understand life’s hard choices before he can forgive his mother and shoulder the responsibility of manhood."

“Kids think through their problems by creating fantasy worlds in ways adults don’t,” Griswold says. “Within these parallel universes, things can be solved, shaped and understood.” Just as children learn best through hands-on activities, they tend to process their feelings through metaphorical reenactments. “Stories,” Griswold noted, “serve a purpose beyond pleasure, a purpose encoded in analogies. Story arcs, like dreams, have an almost biological function.”

It turns out that fantasy—the established domain of British children’s literature—is critical to childhood development. With faeries as voices from the earth, from beyond human history, with a different take on the meaning of life and way of understanding death, Bateman says there’s wisdom in recognizing nature as a greater life force. “Pagan folklore keeps us humble by reminding us we are temporary guests on earth—a true parable for our time."
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by californiagirl Wed 02 May 2018, 12:28 am

@snufkin Now that you mention it, no one outside of a few pockets of SW fandom have really acknowledged that there were fans who had predicted much of TLJ. The current narrative was that this was all a total surprise/subversion, which is interpreted in either a positive or negative light. I've seen very few connections being made between TFA and TLJ, even among the better journalism/coverage.

There's not really any discussion of where the story goes from here, really no thought given to the trilogy as a whole, even among the more intelligent discourse. Literally everyone is like "it could go anywhere!" No it can't. It's headed in a rather specific direction at that. This just kind of embodies why we're all here, really.
californiagirl
californiagirl
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 Thu 03 May 2018, 2:36 am

I read a very nice positive review in a newspaper just after Christmas, not official just a personal comment by a columnist....but one thing made me wince: a description of Rey as a 'shining example of unparalleled goodness'. I guess she didn't see the Rey I did!
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by KnightsofReylo_2015 Fri 04 May 2018, 9:43 am

DeeBee wrote:hiya - not sure where to put this. This will do!  Smile
anyone going to this?
https://www.starwars.com/news/disneyland-after-dark-sets-second-star-wars-themed-event-for-may-9

"...And starting May 4, all Disneyland visitors will be treated to these new and returning Star Wars experiences:

“March of First Order,” a dramatic showing by Captain Phasma guiding a squad of First Order stormtroopers through Tomorrowland
Finn’s question — “Where’s Rey?” — is asked and answered when the Resistance hero and Jedi in training Rey appears at Star Wars Launch Bay
And Hyperspace Mountain flies again
Check back on StarWars.com for more on Disneyland After Dark events."
@DeeBee

So, last night (03 May) Disneyland held the first of these after hours Star Wars events (in celebration of Star Wars Day, May the 4th).  As stated in @DeeBee's message above you can now meet Rey at the park...and last night was her premiere.  

The video below is an interaction with a park guest and Rey at the event.  The reason I am sharing this is (at 1:00 into the video) the guest asks her what she is looking forward to about confronting Kylo in the future/ending of the First Order and her answer is, "I do believe there is still light in Kylo Ren, so we almost always have hope..."  cheers  The character actors at the parks are highly prepped (I have several friends who worked as characters at Disneyland in the past).  They have strict scripts and rules they must follow when interacting with guests. Disney clearly is getting the message out that Kylo isn't beyond redemption and there is hope for him (and Rey doesn't seem to hate him either).  All stuff that is not news to us at all, but I love how they are making sure this message is getting out there.  

Happy Star Wars Day!  May the 4th be with you!

KnightsofReylo_2015
KnightsofReylo_2015
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Fri 04 May 2018, 12:03 pm

KnightsofReylo_2015 wrote:
anyone going to this?
https://www.starwars.com/news/disneyland-after-dark-sets-second-star-wars-themed-event-for-may-9

"...And starting May 4, all Disneyland visitors will be treated to these new and returning Star Wars experiences:

“March of First Order,” a dramatic showing by Captain Phasma guiding a squad of First Order stormtroopers through Tomorrowland
Finn’s question — “Where’s Rey?” — is asked and answered when the Resistance hero and Jedi in training Rey appears at Star Wars Launch Bay
@DeeBee

So, last night (03 May) Disneyland held the first of these after hours Star Wars events (in celebration of Star Wars Day, May the 4th).  As stated in @DeeBee's message above you can now meet Rey at the park...and last night was her premiere.  

The video below is an interaction with a park guest and Rey at the event.  The reason I am sharing this is (at 1:00 into the video) the guest asks her what she is looking forward to about confronting Kylo in the future/ending of the First Order and her answer is, "I do believe there is still light in Kylo Ren, so we almost always have hope..."  cheers  The character actors at the parks are highly prepped (I have several friends who worked as characters at Disneyland in the past).  They have strict scripts and rules they must follow when interacting with guests. Disney clearly is getting the message out that Kylo isn't beyond redemption and there is hope for him (and Rey doesn't seem to hate him either).  All stuff that is not news to us at all, but I love how they are making sure this message is getting out there.  

@KnightsofReylo_2015

On a similar note, if you've ever seen the meet-and-greet videos with "Kylo Ren" and age-appropriate female guests, the Kylo usually crowds the female guest's space and is vaguely flirty with her.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Fri 04 May 2018, 10:00 pm

KnightsofReylo_2015 wrote:
anyone going to this?

@DeeBee

@KnightsofReylo_2015

Thanks for sharing this KnightsofReylo_2015! How awesome!
Hey isn't it a real shame that the main jedi hero of this trilogy - Rey - is soooo deluded about Kylo.
It's almost like she really believes he can turn from the darkness back more toward the light and umm be redeemed!
She is totally barking up the wrong tree in thinking there is still light in him. How refreshing to have the main heroic protagonist be just plain wrong for most of the trilogy, only to find out what she's been hoping for is lost. Ahem. The ST will end with the main hero realising that she was totally wrong and that there was no light in him and she should move on and heck, just kill him.
cheers
*Yep total sarcasm*
DeeBee
DeeBee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by KnightsofReylo_2015 Fri 04 May 2018, 10:47 pm

New starwars.com poll: What is your favorite Star Wars Movie?

Currently, TLJ is in 2nd place behind ESB.
KnightsofReylo_2015
KnightsofReylo_2015
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Fri 04 May 2018, 11:27 pm

KnightsofReylo_2015 wrote:New starwars.com poll: What is your favorite Star Wars Movie?

Currently, TLJ is in 2nd place behind ESB.
@KnightsofReylo_2015

Bbbbut but but everyone hates it and Rian Johnson ruined Star Wars...
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 Fri 04 May 2018, 11:59 pm

It's great to see that - I actually think it's the best of the SW movies, even better than Empire.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey Sun 06 May 2018, 8:33 am

So I was just thinking, we still have a few things left over to come from TLJ. Rian said he was gong to release the script eventually, he's also going ahead with the Black and White behind the scenes photo book (he said he took about 3000 photos), and Ram Bergman is producing that BTS mini series. Pretty exciting.

Last edited by Kylo Rey on Sun 06 May 2018, 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Kylo Rey
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kessel Sun 06 May 2018, 9:08 am

Kylo Rey wrote:So I was just thinking, we still have a few things left over to come from TLJ. Rian said he was gong to release the script eventually, he's also going ahead with the Black and white behind the scenes photo book (he said he took about 3000 photos), and Ram Bergman is producing that BTS mini series. Pretty exciting.
@Kylo Rey

That all sounds great, especially the BTS mini series!

I really wish they’d release the script soon because it will no doubt provide us with more insight into Rey and Kylo’s scenes and confirm a lot of the movie’s more nuanced elements. I’m curious why it hasn’t been released yet. Unless I’m mistaken, we don’t really have an answer as to why it’s taking so long.
Kessel
Kessel

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 Sun 06 May 2018, 10:02 am

Kessel wrote:
Kylo Rey wrote:So I was just thinking, we still have a few things left over to come from TLJ. Rian said he was gong to release the script eventually, he's also going ahead with the Black and white behind the scenes photo book (he said he took about 3000 photos), and Ram Bergman is producing that BTS mini series. Pretty exciting.
@Kylo Rey

That all sounds great, especially the BTS mini series!

I really wish they’d release the script soon because it will no doubt provide us with more insight into Rey and Kylo’s scenes and confirm a lot of the movie’s more nuanced elements. I’m curious why it hasn’t been released yet. Unless I’m mistaken, we don’t really have an answer as to why it’s taking so long.
@Kessel

Nice to know there is something new to look forward to... Surprised
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 14 of 27 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 20 ... 27  Next