Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1

+44
Kaleyna
MoonlitMoss
Irina de France
ZenBrainJam
Helix
MyOnlyHope
MissG
Gemini
Reynak
Sylvia Snow
panki
spacebaby45678
Armadeus
creepi0
Kessel
EchoBase
Saracene
BastilaBey
Airemyn
thejediskywalker
Mana
Force22
RKR Connection
Darth_Awakened
FrolickingFizzgig
snufkin
SoloSideCousin
Darth Rowan
CienaRee
SanghaRen
Jozie
Nyx
Reylo Lemon
vaderito
Little_Boots
Darth Dementor
Darth Dingbat
IoJovi
Rogue Rey
Birdwoman
Lily Snape
Xylo Ren
ISeeAnIsland
AnneNeville
48 posters

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

Who is Rey related to?

Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 21 Vote_lcap27%Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 21 Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 26 ]
Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 21 Vote_lcap22%Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 21 Vote_rcap 22% 
[ 21 ]
Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 21 Vote_lcap3%Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 21 Vote_rcap 3% 
[ 3 ]
Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 21 Vote_lcap6%Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 21 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 6 ]
Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 21 Vote_lcap6%Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 21 Vote_rcap 6% 
[ 6 ]
[ 6 ]
Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 21 Vote_lcap1%Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 21 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 21 Vote_lcap1%Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 21 Vote_rcap 1% 
[ 1 ]
Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 21 Vote_lcap0%Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 21 Vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 21 Vote_lcap27%Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 21 Vote_rcap 27% 
[ 26 ]

Total Votes : 96

Poll closed

Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 21 Empty Re: Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1

Post by Darth Dingbat Wed 04 May 2016, 11:37 am

spacebaby45678 wrote:
There is nothing HUGER than being Rey Kenobi. There is NOTHING and I mean NOTHING in TFA to foreshadow something  BIGGER about her from outside the PT & OT
@spacebaby45678

But how can we tell there's nothing huger than being Rey Kenobi, when we don't know anything about Rey's story, and about the further development of the ST either? Her being connected to some hitherto unknown character may turn out to be THE BIGGEST AND MOST SIGNIFICANT connection in the context of the ST, for all we know. We don't know them yet! And you know, the same applies to her being a Kenobi granddaughter as well. Rey's origins are going to have some BIG connection to the plot of the ST, regardless of her grandparents or great-grandparents, who wouldn't have been around in a long, long time.

I've said it before, but TFA felt very much like a prologue to a bigger story. It was a mystery box, as we all know. It didn't actually give any substantial clues to any of the mysteries it established (which I consider a flaw, btw).

Please don't take this the wrong way, folks, because (as I've said before) I'm not against Rey Kenobi - I'm just not convinced of it at this point. But I feel like Rey Kenobi has become "the thing that everybody MUST believe in, or else they're being wilfully blind", just like Rey Skywalker is the same kind of thing in different circles.

The difference is, of course, that Rey Kenobi is still on the table, and Rey Skywalker is not. But there's still no subtantial, definitive evidence for it. Other theories are still on the table as well, but it sometimes almost feels like other theories aren't "allowed" to be discussed anymore, because Rey Kenobi is supposed to be the obvious answer Neutral
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 21 Empty Re: Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1

Post by spacebaby45678 Wed 04 May 2016, 11:41 am

Ben Obi-Wan Kenobi: I have something here for you. Your father wanted you to have this when you were old enough, but your uncle wouldn't allow it. He feared you might follow old Obi-Wan on some damn fool idealistic crusade like your father did.

Rey's Lineage Discussion II - 1 - Page 21 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSeTsoel9SHPIywPQxMiNFUr2y4dMwOhGFI_tn2ImvUXMEV9D1L

What Luke is thinking is "Wow another Kenobi and another damn fool crusade..."
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Wed 04 May 2016, 11:42 am

Darth Dingbat wrote:
spacebaby45678 wrote:
There is nothing HUGER than being Rey Kenobi. There is NOTHING and I mean NOTHING in TFA to foreshadow something  BIGGER about her from outside the PT & OT
@spacebaby45678

But how can we tell there's nothing huger than being Rey Kenobi, when we don't know anything about Rey's story, and about the further development of the ST either? Her being connected to some hitherto unknown character may turn out to be THE BIGGEST AND MOST SIGNIFICANT connection in the context of the ST, for all we know. We don't know them yet! And you know, the same applies to her being a Kenobi granddaughter as well. Rey's origins are going to have some BIG connection to the plot of the ST, regardless of her grandparents or great-grandparents, who wouldn't have been around in a long, long time.

I've said it before, but TFA felt very much like a prologue to a bigger story. It was a mystery box, as we all know. It didn't actually give any substantial clues to any of the mysteries it established (which I consider a flaw, btw).

Please don't take this the wrong way, folks, because (as I've said before) I'm not against Rey Kenobi - I'm just not convinced of it at this point. But I feel like Rey Kenobi has become "the thing that everybody MUST believe in, or else they're being wilfully blind", just like Rey Skywalker is the same kind of thing in different circles.

The difference is, of course, that Rey Kenobi is still on the table, and Rey Skywalker is not. But there's still no subtantial, definitive evidence for it. Other theories are still on the table as well, but it sometimes almost feels like other theories aren't "allowed" to be discussed anymore, because Rey Kenobi is supposed to be the obvious answer Neutral
@Darth Dingbat
I agree so much. This thread is just uncomfortable to me because it feels like I'm being judged for not being convinced of something that has (in my opinion) no concrete evidence backing it up. I'm not "willfully blind" for not subscribing to Rey Kenobi, but maybe there should just be a Rey Kenobi thread that is separate from this thread...? :/
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Wed 04 May 2016, 11:52 am

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
Darth Dingbat wrote:
spacebaby45678 wrote:
@spacebaby45678

@Darth Dingbat
I agree so much. This thread is just uncomfortable to me because it feels like I'm being judged for not being convinced of something that has (in my opinion) no concrete evidence backing it up. I'm not "willfully blind" for not subscribing to Rey Kenobi, but maybe there should just be a Rey Kenobi thread that is separate from this thread...? :/
@FrolickingFizzgig

I am not judging anyone for believing or not believing anything. We should be able to discuss the merits of both sides without casting aspersions, projecting or extrapolating. This is a healthy civil debate.
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Reylo Lemon Wed 04 May 2016, 11:55 am

We cannot discuss it forever. The only name that gets out of this movie and from the ring theory is Rey Kenobi. We're just at the beginning. If they'll keep with the rhyming, she will be canonically. If they'll change the rhyme, she will be a new character or a descendant of someone else
Reylo Lemon
Reylo Lemon
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat Wed 04 May 2016, 12:04 pm

This is certainly a civil debate, but there's still been something of a tone lately that Rey Kenobi is the only thing that makes narrative sense. I don't really agree. That doesn't mean that Rey Kenobi is wrong, but I also don't think it's the only option that would make sense or feel deep and meaningful. We simply don't know the story yet.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Wed 04 May 2016, 12:16 pm

Darth Dingbat wrote:This is certainly a civil debate, but there's still been something of a tone lately that Rey Kenobi is the only thing that makes narrative sense. I don't really agree. That doesn't mean that Rey Kenobi is wrong, but I also don't think it's the only option that would make sense or feel deep and meaningful. We simply don't know the story yet.
@Darth Dingbat

Yes that is my tone and opinion, doesn't make my opinion infallible. Just like there is a tone that only Rey Random is  morally the right choice for our new Feminist hero. That is somehow she is descended from Kenobi it won't be her own story.  I don't agree with that by the way.
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Rowan Wed 04 May 2016, 12:19 pm

To be clear, all lineage theories belong here. That includes Rey Kenobi and Rey Random but those are certainly not the only possibilities. In fact I would encourage people to avoid posting in absolutes in the theory discussions whenever possible. There is no "only" here because we just don't know at this point and that kind of wording can give the impression that further discussion is not welcome.

Also, let's continue the conversation without focusing on each other. Sometimes discussions here take a personal turn that is not necessary and seems to add tension, so let's do without it if possible. Please PM me or the other mods if you'd like.Thanks!
Darth Rowan
Darth Rowan
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Wed 04 May 2016, 12:20 pm

panki wrote:Ewan McGregor recently clarified that he hasn't been approached for an Obi-wan movie....so it looks like there is no Obi-wan movie in the works for now....that doesn't mean that they will not announce one for after 2020.... we just have to wait and see.

http://collider.com/star-wars-ewan-mcgregor-obi-wan-kenobi-movie/

The anthology movies for now are:
Rogue One- 2016
Han Solo movie- 2018
Untitled move (rumored to be about Boba Fett)-2020
@panki

He also may have been approached but is keeping it a secret?
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Wed 04 May 2016, 12:21 pm

Darth Dingbat wrote:This is certainly a civil debate, but there's still been something of a tone lately that Rey Kenobi is the only thing that makes narrative sense. I don't really agree. That doesn't mean that Rey Kenobi is wrong, but I also don't think it's the only option that would make sense or feel deep and meaningful. We simply don't know the story yet.

Rey random does make narrative sense it could be either I think but I feel Rey kenobi has the edge though
@Darth Dingbat

Last edited by Gemini on Wed 04 May 2016, 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Wed 04 May 2016, 12:22 pm

Darth Dingbat wrote:
spacebaby45678 wrote:
@spacebaby45678

@Darth Dingbat

Please discuss ANY Rey Random Somebody theory you have. I love theories! Truly.
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey Wed 04 May 2016, 12:24 pm

I really dislike the term 'Rey Random'. As I understand it, when we use that we just mean she is not related to Han, Leia or Luke - right? Or that also includes Kenobi? I thought she was a Kenobi at first. But the more I considered it, the more I don't find it a satisfying resolution. If we can explain everything that Rey is capable of just because she's Obi-Wan's descendent, why not put that in the first movie? Why the need to stretch it out to episode IX?

I now think 'rey random', but really that means I want her parentage to play a significant part in the narrative. That means somehow being linked to the First Order and Snoke, presenting her with a moral dilemma. Does she want to kill Snoke and avenge her parents because he was somehow the cause of their deaths? Or were they darksiders who worked for the Empire/FO and it will tempt her to that side, in addition to Kylo? What if Luke killed them because they were darksiders? While I completely acknowledge the parallels of Rey Kenobi - I particularly liked the choreography of the snow fight and how it was partially inspired by Mustafar - I just don't see what it would add to the story, beyond 'oh she wasn't just a scavenger after all'. We already know Rey isn't just a scavenger - and Kylo certainly realizes he was unfairly prejudiced toward her by the end of the movie. Obi-wan is also one of my favorite characters and to retcon him would be disappointing. Satine was his great love, and he didn't leave the Order for her, she didn't have a child. If he ended up having a family with someone else, that seems like an insult to her character and importance to him, in retrospect.
BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Wed 04 May 2016, 12:25 pm

Darth Rowan wrote:To be clear, all lineage theories belong here. That includes Rey Kenobi and Rey Random but those are certainly not the only possibilities. In fact I would encourage people to avoid posting in absolutes in the theory discussions whenever possible. There is no "only" here because we just don't know at this point and that kind of wording can give the impression that further discussion is not welcome.

Also, let's continue the conversation without focusing on each other. Sometimes discussions here take a personal turn that is not necessary and seems to add tension, so let's do without it if possible. Please PM me or the other mods if you'd like.Thanks!
@Darth Rowan

I could not agree more. You will never find me personalizing or casting aspersions in ANY of my posts. It is not necessary in any context.
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Little_Boots Wed 04 May 2016, 12:27 pm

I like the idea of Rey being a new character. Seems like Finn is too, while Kylo is a legacy character who interacts with these new characters in the Star Wars universe.
Rey is quite iconic at the moment. She has a great look about her. Even her hair style is something new and her outfit. I'm probably sounded confusing but I think she's entirely new and that's not a bad thing.
Little_Boots
Little_Boots
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Little_Boots Wed 04 May 2016, 12:31 pm

I do like Rey Kenobi too, but in the early days for myself only it was for me a safe place to fall onto. Now that I've read so much about how these things work in films, stories I find I would be like a Rey Skywalker fan still if I was to think the same way Sad sorry for double posting *hugs to all*
Little_Boots
Little_Boots
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by creepi0 Wed 04 May 2016, 12:44 pm

i must resist the temptation to vote luke skywalker for the Lulz
why would that option even there in the first place
creepi0
creepi0
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Reylo Lemon Wed 04 May 2016, 12:50 pm

creepi0 wrote:i must resist the temptation to vote luke skywalker for the Lulz
@creepi0
lol!

Reylo Lemon
Reylo Lemon
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MissG Wed 04 May 2016, 1:00 pm

creepi0 wrote:i must resist the temptation to vote luke skywalker for the Lulz
@creepi0

Lol kinda same here, I have a slight bit of OCD and when something stands out I need to do something about it. So Luke is the only one that has no votes and I have this twitch that tells me something is out of order, and I should press the button, not that I'd do it though Very Happy  Showing my weirdness here again.
MissG
MissG
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Wed 04 May 2016, 1:05 pm

Im not like a Reyskywalker fan for thinking the narrative points towards Rey Kenobi Sad

Id actually be happy with Rey Random if Kenobi doesnt happen.

Whereas Reywalker fans absolutely hate anything other than Rey Skywalker.

Rey Kenobi seems to be something they despise, even more than Rey Random..its very strange to me. (probably because it indicates redemption arc and ren being saved)

Last edited by Gemini on Wed 04 May 2016, 1:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Little_Boots Wed 04 May 2016, 1:20 pm

Gemini wrote:Im not like a Reyskywalker fan for thinking the narrative points towards Rey Kenobi Sad

Rey Kenobi seems to be something they despise, even more than Rey Random..its very strange to me. (probably because it indicates redemption arc and ren being saved)
@Gemini

Awe we know your not Gem. Main thing is at least we are all here supporting Reylo, and that matters most <3
Little_Boots
Little_Boots
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Wed 04 May 2016, 1:23 pm

is it really weird that i just walked in there not expecting her to be related to anyone? I had the pleasure of not being part of speculation of her being Lukes daughter, so there were no goggles.

I never thought she was Lukes even after the credits rolled...there was nothing pointing to it...I saw Kenobi though, immediately. Was the first thing I said when I left.

On default I thought she was not Lukes because that is just way too obvious

But what made me change from thinking she was a nobody to a somebody?

All the damn "whos the girl, thats classified..the girl, the girl, the girl"
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Wed 04 May 2016, 1:28 pm

Gemini wrote:Im not like a Reyskywalker fan for thinking the narrative points towards Rey Kenobi Sad

@Gemini
I absolutely, positively, completely agree that Rey is important to the galaxy, the narrative, the saga, all of it. But the question here is why is she important. Is she related to someone important, did someone important do something to her or is she herself just important for reasons that extend beyond heritage?

She's going to be connected to the current narrative in some way no matter what, that's for sure. This is more about driving the plot forward for me, about what Rey's backstory could do to add to her character development or change her dynamic with Kylo, and how she could "broaden" the story.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Wed 04 May 2016, 1:48 pm

It's possible broaden is a pun considering she's first female lead.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Little_Boots Wed 04 May 2016, 2:01 pm

I thought the moment when Obi-Wan said "Rey" in the vision was a sign that she was a Kenobi. Back in the early days in EE. Obi-Wan acknowledged her by saying her name. Now though, I'm thinking it's just Obi-Wan being apart of the force, helping people along to save the Skywalkers. I mean, in Empire Strikes Back, Obi-Wan appeared to Luke and told him to seek Yoda for his Jedi training. Obi-Wan wasn't related to Luke though and at that point we had not learned that Vader was Luke's father. It seems to me now that because Obi-Wan is apart of the force, he is helping Rey by showing her that vision (if it was him) and helping the Skywalkers again. His mission in Empire Strikes Back was to lead Luke along the way. Obi-Wan now is leading Rey to Luke. That's how I see it now anyway.
Little_Boots
Little_Boots
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Reynak Wed 04 May 2016, 2:16 pm

I may be the only one but I for myself haven't seen anyone opposing other possiblities different from Rey as a Kenobi as strongly as I've seen some people comment against it. This has made me somewhat uncomfortable to the extent that I refrain from posting as much as I'd like on a thread I find interesting, but I don't know if there's a way to change this impression. It makes me wonder if we are expected not to to express our views on Rey as a Kenobi on this thread any more although it is supposed to be the right place to do so according to the mods. Rolling Eyes
Reynak
Reynak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next