Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ARCHIVE: The Rey Kenobi Files - 1

+35
thescavenger
Maria26
EchoBase
Starchaser
guardienne
Sylvia Snow
Moonjump05
TheBastardofMandalore
Geralt_Riv
jakkusun
Xylo Ren
Jakku
Darth Dingbat
ReyofLightSide
Darth_Awakened
Hasi
salmund
CienaRee
Socialnole
Search Your Feelings
creepi0
Reynak
ISeeAnIsland
SoloSideCousin
vaderito
panki
Darth Dementor
Force22
IoJovi
snufkin
ZenBrainJam
Kylo Ren
spacebaby45678
Reylo Lemon
Gemini
39 posters

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

ARCHIVE: The Rey Kenobi Files - 1 - Page 3 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: The Rey Kenobi Files - 1

Post by IoJovi Tue 10 May 2016, 6:03 pm

spacebaby45678 wrote:
snufkin wrote:
ZenBrainJam wrote:@Maria Antonietta
Sorry but as I said, if all we have are parallels like "here she do the same thing that Obi Wan do in a similar situation" I am sceptical. But we have Obi Wan voice during the vision, twice, and THIS is something different and more convincing.
@ZenBrainJam

That's the part I'm really curious about. There's definitely callbacks all over the place, but I'm still on the fence yet if they're just callbacks or if they're actual clues. Although like I said before, my guess is that if they're related, it'll be a throwaway detail mentioned at the end after she's established herself as a person in her own right (built her own family and become the heroine of her own story).
@snufkin

Chiasmus & Ring Composition. In TFA, Kenobi is the missing value. I will put a meta here about that, when I get a chance. The parallels are not "call backs"  Rey walks Obi Wan's footsteps, and Rey & the Saber follows Obi Wan's path. These are not callbacks but are narrative parallels. That is something completely different.  Please refer back to the article posted on Page 1, from huffing ton post.

@spacebaby45678

I agree with this 100%. There is a big difference between call backs and narrative parallels. Callbacks are homeages to the Original Trilogy that really don't affect the story one way or another. Narrative parallels are things the characters actually did to affect the story direction. Rey calling the MF Garbage = Callback to Luke Skywalker. Rey handing the lightsaber to Luke Skywalker = Narrative Parallel to Obi Wan.

It would also explain why the lightsaber called to her. Obi Wan held that saber in his possession for 19 years. Note that Maz says it does not belong to her, but calls to her (as in she has a purpose to bring it back to its rightful owner).
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

ARCHIVE: The Rey Kenobi Files - 1 - Page 3 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: The Rey Kenobi Files - 1

Post by Darth Dementor Tue 10 May 2016, 8:45 pm

Force22 wrote:
IoJovi wrote:
spacebaby45678 wrote:
snufkin wrote:
ZenBrainJam wrote:@Maria Antonietta
Sorry but as I said, if all we have are parallels like "here she do the same thing that Obi Wan do in a similar situation" I am sceptical. But we have Obi Wan voice during the vision, twice, and THIS is something different and more convincing.
@ZenBrainJam

That's the part I'm really curious about. There's definitely callbacks all over the place, but I'm still on the fence yet if they're just callbacks or if they're actual clues. Although like I said before, my guess is that if they're related, it'll be a throwaway detail mentioned at the end after she's established herself as a person in her own right (built her own family and become the heroine of her own story).
@snufkin

Chiasmus & Ring Composition. In TFA, Kenobi is the missing value. I will put a meta here about that, when I get a chance. The parallels are not "call backs"  Rey walks Obi Wan's footsteps, and Rey & the Saber follows Obi Wan's path. These are not callbacks but are narrative parallels. That is something completely different.  Please refer back to the article posted on Page 1, from huffing ton post.

@spacebaby45678

I agree with this 100%.  There is a big difference between call backs and narrative parallels.  Callbacks are homeages to the Original Trilogy that really don't affect the story one way or another.  Narrative parallels are things the characters actually did to affect the story direction.  Rey calling the MF Garbage = Callback to Luke Skywalker.  Rey handing the lightsaber to Luke Skywalker = Narrative Parallel to Obi Wan.    

It would also explain why the lightsaber called to her.  Obi Wan held that saber in his possession for 19 years.  Note that Maz says it does not belong to her, but calls to her (as in she has a purpose to bring it back to its rightful owner).  
@IoJovi

Nooooo. The lightsaber calls to her cause it's Kylo's. It's too good an innuendo to be diluted with Kenobi.
Also, maybe she does have a mission in helping him come back to light.

Of course, she could still be a Kenobi, but the symbolism (ahem) of the lightsaber calling to her should be related to the Skywalkers
@Force22
It doesn't necessarily mean one or the other; it can be both reasons, which makes it twice as better!
Darth Dementor
Darth Dementor

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Wed 11 May 2016, 12:50 am

The ending shows you why  it calls to her. It tells you why it called to her because of what she does with it for Luke.

It was obi wan talking to her through it not kylo ren, first thing obi wan tries to do is draw her to it by making a young Rey cry "no" he's trying to show her her past and who she is. Why would kylo ren do that when they have never met?

It calls to her because she must take it to Luke

Maz tells her to take it because she needs to bring Luke back

She also has to help kylo but it's not him pleading with her through the lightsaber I still think that's obi wan trying to show her what she has to do

Kenobi is by entwined with the skywalkers and when they need help he appears it only makes sense for his descendant to appear when they need help again
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZenBrainJam Wed 11 May 2016, 2:23 am

We must make a clear distinction between callbacks (useless for this thread but fun to see of course) and parallels.
ZenBrainJam
ZenBrainJam
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Reylo Lemon Wed 11 May 2016, 2:29 am

"I see the same eyes in different people" Maz already saw those eyes. She's descendant of someone important
Reylo Lemon
Reylo Lemon
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Wed 11 May 2016, 2:56 am

A callback would be her using the mind trick

However it is tied In with the plot.. In order to get out of her predicament she uses a mind trick most commonly associated with obi wan

However other Jedi do this too so it's not unique to obi wan
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Wed 11 May 2016, 3:53 am

ARCHIVE: The Rey Kenobi Files - 1 - Page 3 Tumblr_o65kd4CBPq1v2q3gno1_500
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ZenBrainJam Wed 11 May 2016, 4:14 am

Maria Antonietta wrote:"I see the same eyes in different people" Maz already saw those eyes. She's descendant of someone important
@Maria Antonietta

No, she said that about Finn, and speaking with Han about Rey she asked "who is the girl?". So she doesn't know her at all (confirmed by Hidalgo in a tweet sometimes ago)

spacebaby45678 wrote:ARCHIVE: The Rey Kenobi Files - 1 - Page 3 Tumblr_o65kd4CBPq1v2q3gno1_500
@spacebaby45678

Ok, but this is just a callback, or am I wrong?
ZenBrainJam
ZenBrainJam
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Reylo Lemon Wed 11 May 2016, 4:20 am

ZenBrainJam wrote:
Maria Antonietta wrote:"I see the same eyes in different people" Maz already saw those eyes. She's descendant of someone important
@Maria Antonietta

No, she said that about Finn, and speaking with Han about Rey she asked "who is the girl?". So she doesn't know her at all (confirmed by Hidalgo in a tweet sometimes ago)

spacebaby45678 wrote:ARCHIVE: The Rey Kenobi Files - 1 - Page 3 Tumblr_o65kd4CBPq1v2q3gno1_500
@spacebaby45678

@ZenBrainJam

Omg finn is a Kenobi lol!
Reylo Lemon
Reylo Lemon
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Wed 11 May 2016, 4:44 am

ZenBrainJam wrote:
@Maria Antonietta

@spacebaby45678

@ZenBrainJam

Even if it's a callback they are all relevent if she is actually a kenobi

However the more solid parallels are important because it ties in with the narrative

I don't know if the above is a callback or not, it's tied in with the plot and it's something only obi wan does?
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Wed 11 May 2016, 4:58 am

spacebaby45678 wrote:ARCHIVE: The Rey Kenobi Files - 1 - Page 3 Tumblr_nzr3xm2L2j1qcbfodo5_250ARCHIVE: The Rey Kenobi Files - 1 - Page 3 Tumblr_nzr3xm2L2j1qcbfodo6_250

That made me lol
@spacebaby45678

Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Wed 11 May 2016, 6:26 am

Ok,  I am typing on my tablet while my pc is updating, it is hard for me.

This thread is for the enjoyment of the possibility of Rey being a Kenobi. The thread is not to PROVE anything. Once you try to prove there will be back and forth arguments which we are trying to avoid. 

So I don't want this thread to devolve into a debate on what is a call back in TFA & what is a narrative parallel. 

However, for clarification I show you the difference as it relates to TFA & JJ's style of direction. 

JJ does a  waltz of callback, callback,callback narrative parallel to misdirect the audience. 

During the escape on the MF Finn carries 3 call backs while Rey is actually doing a narrative kenobi parallel that effects the outcome of the plot

Finn finds the Luke jedi remote, looks at it and throws it away... making it meaningless moment - LUKE ANH
Finn gets choked by Chewie a la Lando  ESB
Finn turns on the creature chess table then quickly turns it off - CP30 ANH

All of these are simple call backs

Han. "If we don't fix the hyperdrive we will be blown in 1000 pieces" I am paraphrasing because I don't remember the exact qoute
Rey  fixes the hyperdrive by bypassing the compressor... this is a narrative parallel to Obi Wan in TPM...

If Rey didn't fix the hyperdrive, the plot could not haved moved forward .
This is a narrative parallel

I will post pics of Finn's call backs as soon as I am at my office desk

Last edited by spacebaby45678 on Wed 11 May 2016, 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Wed 11 May 2016, 6:28 am

ZenBrainJam wrote:
@Maria Antonietta

@spacebaby45678

@ZenBrainJam

No, this is a narrative parrallel, because this alows Rey to escape, helping to move the plot forward

Last edited by spacebaby45678 on Wed 11 May 2016, 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Wed 11 May 2016, 6:32 am

Gemini wrote:A callback would be her using the mind trick

However it is tied In with the plot.. In order to get out of her predicament she uses a mind trick most commonly associated with obi wan

However other Jedi do this too so it's not unique to obi wan
@Gemini

Even the mindtrick is a narrative parallel... because it allow Rey to escape... CLUE CLUE!!!!!

JJ is answering Ren's question to Rey, about why the droid would give her the plans.

Ren, the droid showed the plans to you, a "scavenger"??? Ren can't figure it out

We know that in ANH R2 only ever gave the message to OBI WAN...

So the real answer to Ren's question is the droid showed the plans to a Kenobi. LOL, JJ you sly dog you...
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Wed 11 May 2016, 7:02 am

Yep that map parallel
Then you have JJ specifically saying that r2 wakes up and shows the complete map because Rey returned. Then he also said they cut the part where r2 heard her talking

That would have been a big clue but they probably cut it because of timing and they can get the idea across that she makes him wake up simply because she was near him

This all echoes obi wan from ANH
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Wed 11 May 2016, 7:59 am

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CallBack

"Remember how that happened? That didn't stop being a thing that happened or anything."
— Homestuck, referencing an event from thousands of pages ago.
A reference to an event taking place earlier than the timeline of the present story. One type of call back is a Running Gag. This is often used to remind viewers that there is an ongoing storyline. More or less a Shout-Out to itself — but if that's all that it's doing, then it's a Continuity Nod; a Call Back brings back an element that is actually relevant again.
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Wed 11 May 2016, 8:06 am

Finn finds the Luke jedi remote, looks at it and throws it away... making it meaningless moment - LUKE ANH
Finn gets choked by Chewie a la Lando  ESB
Finn turns on the creature chess table then quickly turns it off - CP30 ANH

ARCHIVE: The Rey Kenobi Files - 1 - Page 3 Tumblr_o70k9ghiYA1v3o2r3o1_540
ARCHIVE: The Rey Kenobi Files - 1 - Page 3 Tumblr_o70k9ghiYA1v3o2r3o2_540
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Wed 11 May 2016, 8:29 am

ZenBrainJam wrote:
@Maria Antonietta

@spacebaby45678

@ZenBrainJam

(according to TV Tropes) it is a callback, however, there is a distinction to be made between continuity nod & callback
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Wed 11 May 2016, 10:30 am

So maybe this pretty cool sounding theory would fit in here as well? http://theboywhocan11.tumblr.com/post/143339516402/rey-of-the-ancients-reys-heritage-theory?is_related_post=1

Spoiler:

snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

ARCHIVE: The Rey Kenobi Files - 1 - Page 3 Empty Rey Kenobi Files

Post by panki Wed 11 May 2016, 10:48 am

snufkin wrote:So maybe this pretty cool sounding theory would fit in here as well? http://theboywhocan11.tumblr.com/post/143339516402/rey-of-the-ancients-reys-heritage-theory?is_related_post=1

Spoiler:

@snufkin

This is an interesting theory (especially the ancient jedi priest bloodline part...it could explain her powers).... I'm shifting it to the Rey Kenobi file thread since it would be of interest for people who like the 'Rey Kenobi' theory as the article also goes into that aspect as well and people might like to discuss it. Smile

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Search Your Feelings Wed 11 May 2016, 1:56 pm

I leaned towards Rey Kenobi but I really like the theory that Rey could be a descendant of the first Jedi.
Search Your Feelings
Search Your Feelings
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Wed 11 May 2016, 3:39 pm

spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by spacebaby45678 Wed 11 May 2016, 3:44 pm

ARCHIVE: The Rey Kenobi Files - 1 - Page 3 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYfPZ47-hrE0gKZMGIwsdFDVwYG--Qt3ojR53HCKLmMSsd6NZpYA
spacebaby45678
spacebaby45678
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Reylo Lemon Wed 11 May 2016, 3:53 pm

ARCHIVE: The Rey Kenobi Files - 1 - Page 3 2gy0ftk

H-beating
Reylo Lemon
Reylo Lemon
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next