Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VIII

+25
BastilaBey
IoJovi
Xylo Ren
Macha Ren
Jakku
panki
Reylo Lemon
Rimfaxe96
BenRey
Slade
Darth Dingbat
Saracene
vaderito
naberrie93
snufkin
Darth Dementor
Airemyn
SoloSideCousin
Search Your Feelings
Kylo Ren's 8-Pack
ISeeAnIsland
ashesforfoxes
Mana
Kessel
RKR Connection
29 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VIII Empty Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VIII

Post by RKR Connection Sat 26 Mar 2016, 10:42 pm

This is the thread for Daisy Ridley/Rey in Episode VIII. What "role" could she play in the next movie?

Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VIII 0004541224
RKR Connection
RKR Connection
Admin

Back to top Go down

Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VIII Empty Re: Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VIII

Post by Kessel Mon 28 Mar 2016, 12:10 am

I thought I would post something about Rey and the lovely Daisy!

First, I thought Daisy was perfect as Rey and she seems to be a really sweet person who has graciously offered support to the Reylo fans. She obviously has a good sense of humor (i.e. liking that  hilarious "Rey and Kylo cutting their wedding cake" Picture). I thought Daisy's characterization really made Rey a really sympathetic and endearing character when the character herself (as written) could have been viewed far less sympathetically due to her lack of vulnerability (at certain times) and somewhat mysterious motivations. Also,  she and Adam had insane chemistry in every Rey and Kylo scene they had together.

As for the character of Rey, I think in the next movie she is going to undergo some severe growing pains, confusion, and turmoil about her past and future.  Don't get me wrong, I loved seeing her kick a** in TFA, but I want to see her struggle so she grows and develops as a character.  I want to see her at the end of episode IX and be impressed with how far she she has come.I know Luke will help her find her way, but I have a strong feeling he's not going to be the answer to all her prayers.

It's going to be really interesting to see where Rian Johnson takes Rey and the other characters because he's into very psychological, character based storytelling; something more unique than the standard action movie Hero vs. Villain story a lot of people are expecting out of the ST.
Kessel
Kessel

Back to top Go down

Post by Mana Mon 28 Mar 2016, 12:32 am

Kessel89 wrote:I thought I would post something about Rey and the lovely Daisy!

First, I thought Daisy was perfect as Rey and she seems to be a really sweet person who has graciously offered support to the Reylo fans. She obviously has a good sense of humor (i.e. liking that  hilarious "Rey and Kylo cutting their wedding cake" Picture). I thought Daisy's characterization really made Rey a really sympathetic and endearing character when the character herself (as written) could have been viewed far less sympathetically due to her lack of vulnerability (at certain times) and somewhat mysterious motivations. Also,  she and Adam had insane chemistry in every Rey and Kylo scene they had together.

As for the character of Rey, I think in the next movie she is going to undergo some severe growing pains, confusion, and turmoil about her past and future.  Don't get me wrong, I loved seeing her kick a** in TFA, but I want to see her struggle so she grows and develops as a character.  I want to see her at the end of episode IX and be impressed with how far she she has come.I know Luke will help her find her way, but I have a strong feeling he's not going to be the answer to all her prayers.

It's going to be really interesting to see where Rian Johnson takes Rey and the other characters because he's into very psychological, character based storytelling; something more unique than the standard action movie Hero vs. Villain story a lot of people are expecting out of the ST.

...and that's good news for Reylo!!!! there's nothing rehashed or standard about Rey and Kylo's Villain/hero dynamic....I'm excited to see how Rian Johnson works with it....
Mana
Mana
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ashesforfoxes Mon 28 Mar 2016, 12:56 am

Rian Johnson is going to be perfect for this, I think. I wrote a mini piece on The Brothers Bloom recently because it's one of my favorite films. It doesn't take itself too seriously and one of the quotes from Rian was that he let the actors be themselves and constructed the movie mostly within the editing room. Rachel Weisz really shines in the movie because of it and I can see Daisy Ridley being able to enjoy the same freedoms in becoming Rey. She has the smile and natural humor that I think will be necessary to add levity to the film and her dynamics with the other characters, especially Luke. I guarantee they'll have an odd couple dynamic with Luke finally able to inflict some of Yoda on another padawan.
ashesforfoxes
ashesforfoxes
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

http://ashesforfoxes.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Thu 31 Mar 2016, 4:33 pm

Lots of talk going on in various threads about how we're all generally expecting Rey to flirt with or at least be tempted by the dark side in Episodes VIII and/or IX.

I agree that that seems to be what was foreshadowed in TFA and would make sense for her character arc.

Discussion question for the thread: How "dark" do you think she'll go? Demonstrate some DS powers in a fit of rage? Kill someone? Something else?
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Ren's 8-Pack Thu 31 Mar 2016, 9:39 pm

ISeeAnIsland wrote:
Discussion question for the thread:

How "dark" do you think she'll go?  
Demonstrate some DS powers in a fit of rage?
Kill someone?
Something else?

For Rey, I see the possibility for a temptation.
We already saw she was showing some Dark Side tendencies during the lightsaber duel.
I can also see Snoke trying to evoke his influence on her...as he seems interested in her power once Kylo tells him about her being able to resist his mind probe.

She has a challanging road ahead development wise.
Cannot wait to see how it all unfolds, and what happens.

Approves
Kylo Ren's 8-Pack
Kylo Ren's 8-Pack
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by Search Your Feelings Fri 01 Apr 2016, 1:42 am

I fell in love with Rey as soon as she took off that mask, drank water, and slid down that hill. Then of course, the bread, the helmet, and basically all her scenes from then on.

I honestly don't see her killing someone unless it was someone super evil like BDT(if he's evil) or Snoke or an evil KOR. Disney would probably not allow it. Rey will flirt with the darkside by maybe considering joining Kylo once they are stranded somewhere Laughing Maybe she will have visions/nightmares of herself as full on dark.
Search Your Feelings
Search Your Feelings
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Airemyn Sun 17 Apr 2016, 7:53 am

Search Your Feelings wrote:I fell in love with Rey as soon as she took off that mask, drank water, and slid down that hill. Then of course, the bread, the helmet, and basically all her scenes from then on.

@Search Your Feelings

Me too.

I love that Rey was not sexualised in VII in any way, she was sweaty and dirty, and I hope that continues in the next film. Yes she can show her femininity of course, but she is the hero of this story and the last thing I would like to see is her in a bikini and trapped like Leia in ROTJ.
Airemyn
Airemyn
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Search Your Feelings Sun 17 Apr 2016, 4:02 pm

Airemyn wrote:
Search Your Feelings wrote:I fell in love with Rey as soon as she took off that mask, drank water, and slid down that hill. Then of course, the bread, the helmet, and basically all her scenes from then on.

@Search Your Feelings

Me too.

I love that Rey was not sexualised in VII in any way, she was sweaty and dirty, and I hope that continues in the next film. Yes she can show her femininity of course, but she is the hero of this story and the last thing I would like to see is her in a bikini and trapped like Leia in ROTJ.
@Airemyn

Tbh, I was fine with Leia being in that bikini and chained to Jabba. I guess it's because it's iconic and it's also something that Jabba and his "court" would do. It's not cool, or PC now, but it's in character with the barbaric and scumfilled scene of the Hutts. That's what I notice and like about movies made in the past - they weren't afraid to "go there" in case they might offend someone. What makes Slave-Leia awesome is that instead of just objectifying Leia, it didn't diminish her as a strong woman in any way to me. She's actually a bad*** who didn't even need help from Luke and Han. Han was blind through the whole thing. And every time I watch it, I see Leia as stronger than ever because even though she was put in that situation, tptb had her unafraid, had her take the situation into her own hands, turn off the lights, and strangle the boss herself with his own chain! That was a powerful heroine moment. Not saying they should have Rey in something similar. I love Rey for being a strong woman who isn't sexualized but personally, I don't think Slave-Leia was a bad thing as it fit with the scene and culture they were trying to portray. Smile
Search Your Feelings
Search Your Feelings
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin Sun 17 Apr 2016, 5:29 pm

ISeeAnIsland wrote:Lots of talk going on in various threads about how we're all generally expecting Rey to flirt with or at least be tempted by the dark side in Episodes VIII and/or IX.

I agree that that seems to be what was foreshadowed in TFA and would make sense for her character arc.

Discussion question for the thread: How "dark" do you think she'll go? Demonstrate some DS powers in a fit of rage? Kill someone? Something else?
@ISeeAnIsland

I actually would like her to go as pretty dark as they can take her without making it look like it's impossible for her to come back. It would cause Rey to go through all kinds of personal turmoil and that will be fun to watch Daisy tackle that because she is so go at the intense stuff. They need to allow her to do more of that. Also, the farther she goes down the dark side road, the more she will be able to understand Kylo/Ben and maybe actually credibly relay his struggle to other characters (Finn, Poe, Luke, Leia) when a time comes to semi-integrate Kylo/Ben in a non-FO group. (Something along the lines of "You don't understand! The pain you feel ... How Snoke tortures you ... how you feel not like yourself, etc.). Also, since I am a big Grey Jedi fan, the dark side of Rey's force composition needs to come to the forefront, whether that be in a rage where she goes overboard with killing stormtroopers like @jozie suggested or if she shows some kind of DS power. I mean what does it require to produce the lightning? Do you have to be yellow-eyed or can the lightning just come up by surprise? If she hit someone, especially Kylo with the lightning she would have a huge dark night of the soul to get through, especially ... especially ... if he can't produce the lightning. That would scare her like crazy, and she would know she was as vulnerable as him, and suddenly she could be a monstah too. It would be a lot of compelling stuff for them to work through, and frankly, I don't think he'd hold a grudge about the lightning. He'd just be floored and probably a little scared for a minute, but then try to comfort her when she freaked out in guilt about it.
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Airemyn Mon 18 Apr 2016, 5:31 am

Search Your Feelings wrote:
Airemyn wrote:
Search Your Feelings wrote:I fell in love with Rey as soon as she took off that mask, drank water, and slid down that hill.  Then of course, the bread, the helmet, and basically all her scenes from then on.

@Search Your Feelings

Me too.

@Airemyn

Tbh, I was fine with Leia being in that bikini and chained to Jabba.  I guess it's because it's iconic and it's also something that Jabba and his "court" would do. It's not cool, or PC now, but it's in character with the barbaric and scumfilled scene of the Hutts.  That's what I notice and like about movies made in the past - they weren't afraid to "go there" in case they might offend someone.  What makes Slave-Leia awesome is that instead of just objectifying Leia, it didn't diminish her as a strong woman in any way to me.  She's actually a bad*** who didn't even need help from Luke and Han.  Han was blind through the whole thing.  And every time I watch it, I see Leia as stronger than ever because even though she was put in that situation, tptb had her unafraid, had her take the situation into her own hands, turn off the lights, and strangle the boss herself with his own chain!  That was a powerful heroine moment.  Not saying they should have Rey in something similar.  I love Rey for being a strong woman who isn't sexualized but personally, I don't think Slave-Leia was a bad thing as it fit with the scene and culture they were trying to portray. Smile    

@Search Your Feelings

To be honest I was mostly talking about the costume but I do agree with you, Leia could handle that situation effectively and choke Jabba herself without being saved by someone else.

I guess it's all about how they handle the scene, if it's something like the Starkiller base scene where Rey's getting herself out of the situation then I could handle it.
Airemyn
Airemyn
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dementor Tue 19 Apr 2016, 12:26 pm

Darth Dementor
Darth Dementor

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Thu 28 Apr 2016, 1:49 pm

http://jezebel.com/hello-i-am-in-love-1773052076

Everyone, meet my new girlfriend, Daisy Ridley, as she makes my heart swell while performing light saber combat moves with a wooden stick. (Carly Rae Jepsen, I am very sad that you had to find out about it this way.)

tl;dr: Feminist icon-in-the-making + cool light saber moves = hi, I’m in love.

Scroll down and read all of the comments from women who are either old enough to have been told "Girls can't be jedis" when they tried playing as kids or the comments about how their daughters love Rey and want to be her.That was the main reason why I first went to go see the movie based on friends' feedback and remains one, besides figuring out that it was a magic trick about how she shares a destiny with Ben.

^When this happened on-screen I started bawling. Because growing up a massive SW fan I never got to see a girl Jedi and that sucked. And I realized that my almost two-year-old daughter would always grow up knowing this kickass chick.

Ok this made me cry because also I grew up loving star wars and now this whole generation of girls (I have three of them) has star wars AND a bad a** girl with a lightsaber.

snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by naberrie93 Wed 18 May 2016, 3:09 pm

So, according to the last rumour from Making Star Wars... Rey doesn't want to kill Kylo. I'm shocked about this character development! She has a change of heart. I'm super excited about this because I thought she would hate him with passion after what he did but no..

Why? WHY?? There's something I miss?

naberrie93
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Wed 18 May 2016, 3:42 pm

naberrie93 wrote:So, according to the last rumour from Making Star Wars... Rey doesn't want to kill Kylo. I'm shocked about this character development! She has a change of heart. I'm super excited about this because I thought she would hate him with passion after what he did but no..

@naberrie93

But now he hates her with passion. Twisted Evil

vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Wed 18 May 2016, 11:20 pm

naberrie93 wrote:So, according to the last rumour from Making Star Wars... Rey doesn't want to kill Kylo. I'm shocked about this character development! She has a change of heart. I'm super excited about this because I thought she would hate him with passion after what he did but no..

@naberrie93

I'm pretty sure she doesn't start the movie already with the change of heart. I think it's something that develops along the way.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 18 May 2016, 11:24 pm

Saracene wrote:

@naberrie93

I'm pretty sure she doesn't start the movie already with the change of heart. I think it's something that develops along the way.
@Saracene

Yeah, something massive will have to happen to make her change her tune. I'm looking forward to it.

Back to top Go down

Post by naberrie93 Mon 23 May 2016, 4:06 pm

AppleCrumble122 wrote:
Saracene wrote:

@naberrie93

@Saracene

Yeah, something massive will have to happen to make her change her tune. I'm looking forward to it.
@AppleCrumble122

yes! I think the same.
but, also I think that it had something to do with their connection in the interrogation scene. Maybe she saw something more in his mind. Pain? Hurt?

I have hope! bounce

naberrie93
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Mon 23 May 2016, 4:33 pm

@naberrie93 According to one of older MSW podcasts, Rey saw something in Kylo's mind that isn't "you are afraid that you'll never be as strong as Darth Vader." And that this discovery will have ramifications is the Episode VIII. So sounds like what she saw in his mind may be the reason why she doesn't want to kill him.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Wed 01 Jun 2016, 12:09 pm

Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VIII 1206_web_0

I knew it wasn't my imagination (besides the obvious Nausicca callback in her introduction) that Rey feels an awful lot like a Studio Ghibli/Hayao Miyazaki heroine. And I kind of hope with all the Darkside talk that she stays true to those characters, like San from Princess Mononoke or Sophie in Howl's Moving Castle:

DAISY RIDLEY INTERVIEW: "JAPAN IS WAY AHEAD OF THE CURVE IN TERMS OF GENDER IN CINEMA"

snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Slade Wed 01 Jun 2016, 12:30 pm

I hope they have Rey deal with the pain and rage over being abandoned that she likely suppressed. That would take her into the dark...
Slade
Slade
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Wed 01 Jun 2016, 12:55 pm

Slade wrote:I hope they have Rey deal with the pain and rage over being abandoned that she likely suppressed. That would take her into the dark...
@Slade

Definitely and she has to as part of maturing/evolving. That sounds far more interesting than just "ooh, she's gonna start wearing some dark skimpy outfit and hanging out with Snoke" scenarios you see floating around.

They sort of started to have it hit her, with Maz's well-intentioned but rather insensitive intervention that prompts her to run off into the forest (and run into you know who). What she might have done, both in terms of having her long-delayed breakdown and ditching both the Jakku/Resistance plans didn't get a follow through.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Wed 01 Jun 2016, 1:16 pm

snufkin wrote:
Slade wrote:I hope they have Rey deal with the pain and rage over being abandoned that she likely suppressed. That would take her into the dark...
@Slade

Definitely and she has to as part of maturing/evolving. That sounds far more interesting than just "ooh, she's gonna start wearing some dark skimpy outfit and hanging out with Snoke" scenarios you see floating around.

They sort of started to have it hit her, with Maz's well-intentioned but rather insensitive intervention that prompts her to run off into the forest (and run into you know who). What she might have done, both in terms of having her long-delayed breakdown and ditching both the Jakku/Resistance plans didn't get a follow through.
@snufkin

Being stuck on a planet with Luke and Kylo seems like a perfect opportunity for her to process the reality that she's been putting off. And I can't see how those won't come into play in her interactions with Kylo...

Depending on where Kylo is at with his development, I can see them going three possible ways with this:
* If he's still enraged at her, he can use her abandonment and its accompanying issues as a way to hurt her.
* If he's no longer enraged, but still has selfish feelings of infatuation, he can use them to manipulate her, e.g. play up the fact that he wouldn't abandon her. If there's a Force Bond-type connection, I see him playing that up here.
* If his feelings aren't completely selfish at this point, he can open up about his own abandonment issues, and he can try to comfort her. Maybe we also get an offer/plan to use the Imperial Archives to search for her parents...
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat Wed 01 Jun 2016, 1:32 pm

snufkin wrote:Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VIII 1206_web_0

I knew it wasn't my imagination (besides the obvious Nausicca callback in her introduction) that Rey feels an awful lot like a Studio Ghibli/Hayao Miyazaki heroine. And I kind of hope with all the Darkside talk that she stays true to those characters, like San from Princess Mononoke or Sophie in Howl's Moving Castle:

DAISY RIDLEY INTERVIEW: "JAPAN IS WAY AHEAD OF THE CURVE IN TERMS OF GENDER IN CINEMA"

@snufkin

Interestingly enough, Kathleen Kennedy produced the dubbed English versions of two Studio Ghibli films. Her husband produced three more.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Wed 01 Jun 2016, 1:54 pm

Darth Dingbat wrote:
@snufkin

Interestingly enough, Kathleen Kennedy produced the dubbed English versions of two Studio Ghibli films. Her husband produced three more.
@Darth Dingbat - I remember hearing that and that KK is a Ghibli/Miyazaki fan. I definitely prefer their young women leads to what you see in most standard Western fare. Can't be a coincidence in terms of there being an influence on Rey's character and the fact that the actress they hired to play her is also a huge fan. Not to mention how she talks about how Howl's Moving Castle is one of her favorites (parallels?).

snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next