Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marketing for Episode VIII

+63
spacebaby45678
Darth Dementor
CienaRee
MyOnlyHope
Atenais
Armadeus
Darth_marshmallow
PalmettoBlue
MrsWindu
Man Without A Star
MindAndMagic
Irina de France
DarthRen
rey09
Camaro
AceofWands
nite0wl29
ZioRen
Mana
Anakin Skywalker
Forsythia
Kylo Rey
reylo1992
Tex
Darth Rowan
tukicarreno
RosiePancake
MissG
SheLitAFire
Moonlight13
adamdrivershair
SkyStar
Kylo Men
Cowgirlsamurai
nemapasara
Night Huntress
EchoBase
Darth_Awakened
Saracene
shii405
Helix
SoloSideCousin
Reylo Lemon
motherofpearl1
Airemyn
Kessel
Jakku
SanghaRen
Darth Dingbat
Rei of Sunshine
Sylvia Snow
panki
Birdwoman
Little_Boots
vaderito
Xylo Ren
jakkusun
FrolickingFizzgig
IoJovi
snufkin
BastilaBey
Moonjump05
ISeeAnIsland
67 posters

Page 1 of 16 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next

Go down

Marketing for Episode VIII Empty Marketing for Episode VIII

Post by ISeeAnIsland Thu 15 Sep 2016, 6:13 pm

Use this thread to discuss your thought on the possible poster, teasers, and trailers for Episode VIII!
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Marketing for Episode VIII Empty Re: Marketing for Episode VIII

Post by Moonjump05 Thu 15 Sep 2016, 6:51 pm

I think the official poster will be quite telling- I mean it kinda has to since the posters for Star Wars are so iconic and long lasting well after the initial release.  A flat out misdirect will not allow that.

However, just like the TFA poster there is going to be some wiggle room before the plot is well known where anyone and everyone will be able to claim that it proves their theory.  Unless of course we get some more straight up Gone with the Wind poses (and with the way certain fans already cannot see what is in front of their faces, not even then) will it be super clear.

Tbh, I think that Rey and Kylo are going to be the giant heads in the poster again.  Probably equal size,  but mirroring each other somehow.  With the other characters below them.  And hopefully with another one of those glowing orbs between them. So not super obviously romantic, but you know what the main relationship is.

This is more what I want :
Marketing for Episode VIII Titanic-movie-poster-1997-1020339699
Marketing for Episode VIII Movie-doctorzhivago
Or

Marketing for Episode VIII Casablanca_movie_poster

But it will probably look more like this, lol
Marketing for Episode VIII 556921_430674783619854_174393985_n
Moonjump05
Moonjump05
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey Thu 15 Sep 2016, 6:53 pm

How prominently do people think Luke will be featured? The hype has been built because he was barely in TFA, but they're also going to want to make it clear that the primary conflict is between Rey and Kylo. I can see Finn and KMT's character being paired pretty closely too, whether she ends up being his love interest or not. John's been speaking so highly of her in interviews, she must be significant for Finn's arc.
BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Thu 15 Sep 2016, 6:55 pm

I was joking awhile back that the only major American corporation at this point which hasn't done any tie in products yet was Trojan. But who knows depending on what happens in IX.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Thu 15 Sep 2016, 6:56 pm

While I don't see Rey and Ren in a Han/Leia type pose ala Gone With The Wind, I do see them to be the most prominent characters on the poster.  I also see them close to each other, yet their positioning will be ambiguous as to how their relationship will progress moving forward.  I wouldn't be surprised if he's unmasked (scar and all), and they're staring each other straight in the eyes with looks of both love and hate.

Third wheel Luke can be looking on at them both with an equally ambiguous expression.

I do see Reylo as the IAmYourFather moment in this trilogy, so I don't think they're going to give it away on the poster.

Still, it's tradition to put a traditional romantic pairing on the poster.  Cue Finn and KMT, albeit much smaller compared to Rey and Ren's positioning.
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Sep 2016, 7:01 pm

BastilaBey wrote:How prominently do people think Luke will be featured? The hype has been built because he was barely in TFA, but they're also going to want to make it clear that the primary conflict is between Rey and Kylo. I can see Finn and KMT's character being paired pretty closely too, whether she ends up being his love interest or not. John's been speaking so highly of her in interviews, she must be significant for Finn's arc.
@BastilaBey

I think Luke will be central like Han was on the TFA poster, but smaller than Rey and Kylo, who I expect to be the most prominent size-wise and in terms of catching the audience's eye. I think Finn, Poe and KMT's character will be clustered together. I'm hoping Rey and Kylo will be in some kind of intimate crossed lightsaber pose that could be interpreted either as adversarial or something else... Kind of like the Starkiller cliff edge shot but even more so! Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Thu 15 Sep 2016, 7:03 pm

BastilaBey wrote:How prominently do people think Luke will be featured? The hype has been built because he was barely in TFA, but they're also going to want to make it clear that the primary conflict is between Rey and Kylo. I can see Finn and KMT's character being paired pretty closely too, whether she ends up being his love interest or not. John's been speaking so highly of her in interviews, she must be significant for Finn's arc.
@BastilaBey
Now that I think about it I could easily see the centre image being Luke (biggest image) with Kylo and Rey on his left and right staring at each other, maybe the island in the background. And obviously Finn and Kelly somewhere too.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Sep 2016, 7:10 pm

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
@BastilaBey
Now that I think about it I could easily see the centre image being Luke (biggest image) with Kylo and Rey on his left and right staring at each other, maybe the island in the background. And obviously Finn and Kelly somewhere too.
@FrolickingFizzgig

Would they really make Luke the biggest image, though? Han didn't get that level of prominence and he was a massive part of TFA. I personally think Rey has to be bigger and more prominent, she's the main character after all. Kylo will probably be of equal size again, although his was the biggest image on the TFA poster.

Back to top Go down

Post by jakkusun Thu 15 Sep 2016, 7:16 pm

FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
@BastilaBey
@FrolickingFizzgig

I think Luke might be larger, as well, since he is such a legendary, mystical character. To have him small would seem strange. Rey thought he was a myth, so he's basically mythological. I wonder if Luke and Snoke possibly could loom large in the background? there are parallels between the two. It might be interesting. I could be wrong though.
jakkusun
jakkusun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Sep 2016, 7:21 pm

jakkusun wrote:
FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
@BastilaBey
@FrolickingFizzgig

I think Luke might be larger, as well, since he is such a legendary, mystical character. To have him small would seem strange. Rey thought he was a myth, so he's basically mythological. I wonder if Luke and Snoke possibly could loom large in the background? there are parallels between the two. It might be interesting. I could be wrong though.
@jakkusun

I could see them positioning Luke over Rey's shoulder and Snoke over Kylo's, but it would surely send out the wrong message (to some fans who already struggle with the idea that Luke isn't going to be the lead character) if Luke completely overshadowed Rey in terms of size and prominence on the poster.

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Thu 15 Sep 2016, 7:29 pm

I see Luke as being medium sized, compared to other characters on the poster. If we look at Han and Leia on the TFA poster, that's pretty much what I expect in terms of size. He certainly won't be as big as Rey and Ren, although I expect him to be positioned near them.
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Xylo Ren Thu 15 Sep 2016, 7:34 pm

For reference:
Marketing for Episode VIII Star-wars-episode-ii-attack-of-the-clones-poster-without-word-all-text-removedMarketing for Episode VIII The-Empire-Strikes-Back

I think it'll be more like:

Marketing for Episode VIII Guardianes-5
Xylo Ren
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by FrolickingFizzgig Thu 15 Sep 2016, 7:37 pm

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
jakkusun wrote:
FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
@BastilaBey
@FrolickingFizzgig

@jakkusun

I could see them positioning Luke over Rey's shoulder and Snoke over Kylo's, but it would surely send out the wrong message (to some fans who already struggle with the idea that Luke isn't going to be the lead character) if Luke completely overshadowed Rey in terms of size and prominence on the poster.
@Mrs Ben Solo
Luke is still going to be the main draw for a lot of fans, even if he isn't the main character. Kylo already overshadowed Rey in size on the TFA poster. He takes up more than a third of it on his own, but nobody's saying he's the main character. I can see Luke being positioned more like that, as a "figure" more than a major protagonist. It actually sends a different message if you think about it, as though he is "above" the other characters, not really part of the younger generation.
FrolickingFizzgig
FrolickingFizzgig
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://frolickingfizzgig.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Sep 2016, 7:38 pm

I agree with @frolickingfizzgig that the island will be in the picture - probably in the background. But I think Luke will be smaller than Kylo and Rey, and he will be physically placed between them (along with a lens flare, lol) because from the rumors we've heard, it seems he will be playing a role of contention between the two. He is going to tell Rey that she must kill Kylo, and she being the heroine of the story will have to make her own choice even if it goes against her mentor's advice.

So what I'm imagining is Ahch-To filling up the background (won't that be pretty?), with Resistance/First Order fighters on the sides, Kylo and Rey in the center and bigger than everyone else, with Luke between them. Finn and KMT will be positioned near each other and I wouldn't be surprised if they're shown riding the space horse together on the poster.

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Thu 15 Sep 2016, 7:44 pm

Well, going by Celebration poster, which was 1/2 Episode VIII (Luke), 1/2 R1, Luke may not be more prominent than Rey and Kylo. Han certainly wasn't:

Marketing for Episode VIII XStar-Wars-Celebration-2016-poster-616x616.jpg.pagespeed.ic.ZP45Sg0leR

Rey and Kylo are the biggest (villain is always the biggest image, see Vader on OT posters), Luke and Finn are equal size and Poe is the smallest as he should be. 

TFA - Han isn't the most prominent figure:

Marketing for Episode VIII Poster

Rey, Kylo and Finn are more prominent as they should be.

Now, if they want to shatter 50 Shades Darker trailer view record, Kylo better be unmasked. His unmasking is arguably the most watched SW gif ever. 

But yes, I expect Finntran to be very prominent.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Sep 2016, 7:49 pm

I'm not sure which comes first, trailer or poster? If the trailer is first, I would expect some partial reveal of unmasked Kylo, half in shadow and half in light, depending on when they want to reveal his scarred face. They could have him unmasked in (unscarred side) profile on the poster to keep the full scar reveal for the movie.

Back to top Go down

Post by Little_Boots Thu 15 Sep 2016, 7:52 pm

The difference in the FA poster by its self compared to the previous Star Wars films is cool! literally split down the middle, one side red, one side blue!
Little_Boots
Little_Boots
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Thu 15 Sep 2016, 7:56 pm

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:I'm not sure which comes first, trailer or poster? If the trailer is first, I would expect some partial reveal of unmasked Kylo, half in shadow and half in light, depending on when they want to reveal his scarred face. They could have him unmasked in (unscarred side) profile on the poster to keep the full scar reveal for the movie.
@Mrs Ben Solo

Great question. I didn't follow any of the pre-TFA marketing so I don't know. I do remember the first trailer was aired here during a pro football game in mid-september. There were jokes going around that it was the first time nerds tuned in to watch football.

Heck, I wasn't even aware they were making a new Star Wars film until two days before that trailer aired! My husband loves football, so it all worked out and I got to see it...
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Thu 15 Sep 2016, 7:59 pm

Like Daisy, Kelly has lovely voice:

Antis who say she isn't hot have no taste. Look at her! Finntran is going to be huge. We'll have to open a special section for Finntran once it blows up.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Little_Boots Thu 15 Sep 2016, 8:01 pm

vaderito wrote:Like Daisy, Kelly has lovely voice:

Antis who say she isn't hot have no taste. Look at her! Finntran is going to be huge. We'll have to open a special section for Finntran once it blows up.
@vaderito

She is super cute!! Like a fairy! very very pretty and I can't wait to see where they go with Finn and Tran if they go anywhere of course Smile
Little_Boots
Little_Boots
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by jakkusun Thu 15 Sep 2016, 8:05 pm

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
jakkusun wrote:
FrolickingFizzgig wrote:
@BastilaBey
@FrolickingFizzgig

@jakkusun

@Mrs Ben Solo

Marketing for Episode VIII Star-wars-celebration-poster

I take back what I said about how Luke can't be small. Luke is really small here, so I guess it wouldn't be that weird at all, and is very likely. (And I see vaderito brought this up already while I was drafting this haha)

Marketing for Episode VIII All7starwarsposters_theburningbloggerofbedlam

Marketing for Episode VIII Starwarssixti-1

The largest characters aren't always the main characters, though. The ones looming large in the background are usually villains or great forces of nature/threats/goals or destinations, I think. (Which is why I thought having Luke in that place would be cool and newish, and also put him in a sort of unchanging place--he's not the main character who evolves, but rather a great force in the narrative who shapes the protagonists and story, he's become unrelatable and distant) There are other ways to draw attention and convey importance of main characters besides size, too. --and this is basically what you said I think haha
jakkusun
jakkusun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdwoman Thu 15 Sep 2016, 8:14 pm

What is interesting to me on the Celebration poster...it looks like Kylo is looking up, he is more in the blue with little red and there seems to be rain falling on him. He, Rey and Luke are in their own little bubble...
Is this hinting the possible redemption arc is beginning? Smile

Birdwoman
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Thu 15 Sep 2016, 8:15 pm

I was so bored by the Poe & Finn show, I keep forgetting that there are going to be other subplots in VIII besides "can we just hurry up and get to the island in order to find out what happened at Luke's dodgy charter school and then proceed to the Jedi Ikea Test?!" Which means, wonder if they'll include Laura Dern & Benecio del Toro on the poster.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki Thu 15 Sep 2016, 8:17 pm

1. I think Snoke's head will be a huge shadowy outline right at the top of the poster, with stars, X-wings and TIE lighters dotting his head like a crown. This part of the poster will be dark blue-black.

2. Rey and Kylo will be standing below him. They are the most prominent, are holding lightsabers and staring at one another. This makes it unclear whether Snoke is the cause of their confrontation, or whether they are now allies/LIs.

3. On the lower left, Finn and KMT will be on space horse, with KMT turning her head back and looking as if they're about to kiss.

4. Luke will be standing on the lower right hand corner looking back as if to show his dilemma whether to return or not.

5. The bottom of the poster will be red- orange crowded battle scene between resistance and FO and we can see small images of Leia, Poe, Phasma, Hux, BDT and Laura Dern's character (these 6 appearing is optional since they might crowd up the poster).

Last edited by panki on Thu 15 Sep 2016, 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdwoman Thu 15 Sep 2016, 8:20 pm

@snufkin
Your charter school comments are hilarious.  My children went to the infamous charter school being featured in the bay area news off and on because of the D.A investigating them for fraud and abuse issues with foreign nationals.  I spent a good part of the last six months fighting to change the governance of our Children's school to no avail.  My children are happily deposited in their neighborhood school.  
Maybe this is why Kylo went to the dark side....Luke wasn't a good Charter School Manager.... Wink

Birdwoman
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 16 1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 16  Next