Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VIII

+25
BastilaBey
IoJovi
Xylo Ren
Macha Ren
Jakku
panki
Reylo Lemon
Rimfaxe96
BenRey
Slade
Darth Dingbat
Saracene
vaderito
naberrie93
snufkin
Darth Dementor
Airemyn
SoloSideCousin
Search Your Feelings
Kylo Ren's 8-Pack
ISeeAnIsland
ashesforfoxes
Mana
Kessel
RKR Connection
29 posters

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VIII - Page 4 Empty Re: Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VIII

Post by vaderito Tue 02 Aug 2016, 10:04 am

@"darth Dingbat' Exactly. Without naming fandom names, say that you condemn attacks on artists, actors, director, other fans and promoting violent solutions to difference in opinion. They'll get the hint.

I do appreciate that they didn't add Finn art to placate #whereisfinn fanatics.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VIII - Page 4 Empty Re: Daisy Ridley (Rey) in Episode VIII

Post by Guest Tue 02 Aug 2016, 10:33 am

Darth Dingbat wrote:I agree with you, @vaderito. Lucasfilm are definitely aware of what's going on online and someone in their camp could comment on fan controversies in general. Even if it were something superficial along the lines of "yay, let's just all get along" it would be better than pretending it doesn't exist. It wouldn't even have to address stuff like Reylo/anti-Reylo in so many words; of course they don't want to show any preference for any specific groups of fans, and that would only fan the flames anyway. (Except that Pablo doesn't seem to care about that, considering how much shade he throws at Reywalkers and Plagueis folk etc...) It's not hard to write something like that in general terms. But obviously that's not my job.

At the very least, they should draw the line at their own people being harassed. I think Daisy's experience would be a good opportunity to address social media behaviour in general.
@Darth Dingbat

There have been quite a few articles written recently by prominent Star Wars bloggers and such about how the hate in the fandom is spiralling out of control. It isn't restricted to shipping wars, there's all kinds of stuff going on with the Bring Back Legends supporters and prequel haters. I recently saw some #AnyoneButRey tweets on social media which is a whole other thing. Not to mention the hate the Hasbro figure voting poll dredged up and the anti-feminist movement that's attached itself to that.

I think the problem for Lucasfilm/Disney is that they don't want to intevene on personal Twitter accounts like Pablo's or Claudia Gray's etc because those people are expressing personal viewpoints not following the company line or posting on behalf of them. In regards to the other stuff, where would they start? They could issue a release about the fandom in general, but would it achieve anything? Maybe certain issues will be addressed once the publicity machine for Ep VIII cranks into full gear. Rian Johnson is such a lovely guy, I don't think he'd want to unintentionally lead fans astray (he's not JJ!)

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Tue 02 Aug 2016, 10:43 am

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
Darth Dingbat wrote:I agree with you, @vaderito. Lucasfilm are definitely aware of what's going on online and someone in their camp could comment on fan controversies in general. Even if it were something superficial along the lines of "yay, let's just all get along" it would be better than pretending it doesn't exist. It wouldn't even have to address stuff like Reylo/anti-Reylo in so many words; of course they don't want to show any preference for any specific groups of fans, and that would only fan the flames anyway. (Except that Pablo doesn't seem to care about that, considering how much shade he throws at Reywalkers and Plagueis folk etc...) It's not hard to write something like that in general terms. But obviously that's not my job.

At the very least, they should draw the line at their own people being harassed. I think Daisy's experience would be a good opportunity to address social media behaviour in general.
@Darth Dingbat

There have been quite a few articles written recently by prominent Star Wars bloggers and such about how the hate in the fandom is spiralling out of control. It isn't restricted to shipping wars, there's all kinds of stuff going on with the Bring Back Legends supporters and prequel haters. I recently saw some #AnyoneButRey tweets on social media which is a whole other thing. Not to mention the hate the Hasbro figure voting poll dredged up and the anti-feminist movement that's attached itself to that.

I think the problem for Lucasfilm/Disney is that they don't want to intevene on personal Twitter accounts like Pablo's or Claudia Gray's etc because those people are expressing personal viewpoints not following the company line or posting on behalf of them. In regards to the other stuff, where would they start? They could issue a release about the fandom in general, but would it achieve anything? Maybe certain issues will be addressed once the publicity machine for Ep VIII cranks into full gear. Rian Johnson is such a lovely guy, I don't think he'd want to unintentionally lead fans astray (he's not JJ!)
@Mrs Ben Solo

Jaina Solo voting outraged everyone because the character wasn't that popular to begin with. people sense rigging so it isn't really about anti-feminism. There wouldn't have been complains if Mara Jade won cause she's a EU icon.

But anyway, my point is that when things gets really extreme names (of fandoms) have to be named instead of taking safe generalization route that doesn't have any effect. That's because individuals such as art shooter embarrass fans who hate/dislike Reylo and don't want to be labelled crazy. So by exposing such elements within the fandom their members will police what's appropriate and what's not. Not that they'll stop accusations of racism and abuse cause some of them seriously believe that's the case, but promoting violence won't be tolerated.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 02 Aug 2016, 10:53 am

@vaderito I'm not saying it was all anti-feminists complaining about Jiana Solo winning that poll, but I've seen actual tweets and Reddit etc posts from the same moment that attacked the female Ghostbusters etc, so it's definitely going on.

I disagree on the other point because naming and shaming an entire group of shippers or fans will only lead to more problems. We don't like it when people tar all Reylo shippers with the same brush. I don't possibly see how Lucasfilm/Disney could rebuke one section of fandom without everyone piling on said fans with the belief they've been officially sanctioned. Things could get uglier than they are now and that wouldn't do anyone any good.

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Tue 02 Aug 2016, 11:10 am

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:@vaderito I'm not saying it was all anti-feminists complaining about Jiana Solo winning that poll, but I've seen actual tweets and Reddit etc posts from the same moment that attacked the female Ghostbusters etc, so it's definitely going on.

I disagree on the other point because naming and shaming an entire group of shippers or fans will only lead to more problems. We don't like it when people tar all Reylo shippers with the same brush. I don't possibly see how Lucasfilm/Disney could rebuke one section of fandom without everyone piling on said fans with the belief they've been officially sanctioned. Things could get uglier than they are now and that wouldn't do anyone any good.
@Mrs Ben Solo

I didn't mean shaming all but name that elements exist in a particular fandom and they give the group a bad name.

Female Ghostbusters situation is stupid because the only real problem with that movie is that nobody needed it, nobody asked for that sequel/reboot/remake/whatever and yet the studio spent 150 million on it because remakes/sequels/reboots/etc are safe. That's what's wrong with Hollywood. they have no ideas and now try to goad people into paying twice for the same thing by flashing social justice card. Look, we are making (unnecessary) Ghostbusters movie with women! Support the cause, waste your money. No. That's what should have been attacked, endless line of unnecessary movies, not actresses.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 02 Aug 2016, 11:25 am

vaderito wrote:
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:@vaderito I'm not saying it was all anti-feminists complaining about Jiana Solo winning that poll, but I've seen actual tweets and Reddit etc posts from the same moment that attacked the female Ghostbusters etc, so it's definitely going on.

@Mrs Ben Solo

I didn't mean shaming all but name that elements exist in a particular fandom and they give the group a bad name.

Female Ghostbusters situation is stupid because the only real problem with that movie is that nobody needed it, nobody asked for that sequel/reboot/remake/whatever and yet the studio spent 150 million on it because remakes/sequels/reboots/etc are safe. That's what's wrong with Hollywood. they have no ideas and now try to goad people into paying twice for the same thing by flashing social justice card. Look, we are making (unnecessary) Ghostbusters movie with women! Support the cause, waste your money. No. That's what should have been attacked, endless line of unnecessary movies, not actresses.
@vaderito

Pointing to disruptive elements within a specific section of fandom carries the same kinds of problems as naming and shaming one group as a whole. No respectable/responsible company would ever do such a thing. People never read the fine print/terms and conditions. They would take it as an official sanction to attack that particular section of fandom.

I disagree about Ghostbusters. No one needs any particular kind of remake/reboot or any other movie for that matter. It is supposed to be entertainment when all said and done. I don't see what's wrong with making movies with female leads. If that makes me a social justice warrior then so be it. I want movie and TV characters to reflect the fact that women can be every bit as tough, funny and entertaining in lead role as guys. No one would have batted an eyelid if they'd brought Ghostbusters back with four new male leads. I'm glad they made it with female leads and that it appears to be doing well with toy sales exceeding expectations. I'm also glad to see the Wonder Woman movie and other female-led superhero stories being made like Captain Marvel. We have had one after the other male superhero movies and everyone is o.k with that. What's wrong with balancing the scales a little? Girls and women want and need strong female role models. Woman can do so much more than be the love interest/side kick/damsel in distress.

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Tue 02 Aug 2016, 11:31 am

@Mrs Ben Solo I didn't express myself well so you misread my post. My fault.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue 02 Aug 2016, 11:36 am

vaderito wrote:@Mrs Ben Solo I didn't express myself well so you misread my post. My fault.
@vaderito

Fair enough.

I just feel very strongly that we should have female character led movies and TV shows. I don't want them for the sake of it, but because well written/acted female characters can be every bit as entertaining as their male counterparts. We should get to a point where an all-female Ghostbusters movie wouldn't even be news. It should be business as usual and it should stand or fall on its merits like any other movie.

Back to top Go down

Post by Xylo Ren Tue 02 Aug 2016, 12:25 pm

Jakku wrote:I think LF/Disney are going to have to start managing expectations fairly soon, so that tensions don't start to erupt into something dangerous.  I know they want to keep the big romance as a surprise for the majority of the GA, but I doubt they expected quite this much hostility to the idea among the nerderazzi.  It's really struck a nerve, hasn't it?  

In some ways it feels like an echo of what's happening in the USA with Trump, and here in the UK with Brexit.  A segment of the population wants the certainty of hate and blaming, and for once they're being given validation by authority figures.

AD doesn't look like he needs too much protection, but I hope LF are looking out for him.

I absolutely agree with this and what everyone has said about intervention.

It's kind of ridiculous, isn't it? That we're mixing Star Wars with real life guns?

I think Disney/LF would be wise to continue on their marketing of Rey and Kylo together. People need to get used to seeing them together. Unfortunately in context it has only been in fighting stances but I wonder if they could introduce a Rey character face into Disney Parks and have people meet her and Kylo in the same place or something. There are things they could do, like put them on products without lightsabers in hand, or continue their "is he redeemable?" type prompting.

As far as addressing it specifically, I'd love it but I understand what some of you have said about the dangers of that.

I trust Disney to be smart enough to make it work without spoiling it all but somehow, someway, they need to figure out how to soften the crowds to the Reylo angle they so heavily hinted at in TFA.
Xylo Ren
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Tue 02 Aug 2016, 12:58 pm

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:
vaderito wrote:@Mrs Ben Solo I didn't express myself well so you misread my post. My fault.
@vaderito

Fair enough.

I just feel very strongly that we should have female character led movies and TV shows. I don't want them for the sake of it, but because well written/acted female characters can be every bit as entertaining as their male counterparts. We should get to a point where an all-female Ghostbusters movie wouldn't even be news. It should be business as usual and it should stand or fall on its merits like any other movie.
@Mrs Ben Solo

I have not seen Ghostbusters yet, but a few of my friends have, and they've raved about it largely for the reasons that you're bringing up here. From what I've been told, the women cast members aren't objectified in any way and their characters are well-rounded. I've been told that even Melissa McCarthy is even treated with respect and not just made the butt of "fat jokes".

It's sad that something as simple as this is really ground-breaking right now, but there you have it.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 Tue 02 Aug 2016, 11:17 pm

Xylo Ren wrote:
Jakku wrote:I think LF/Disney are going to have to start managing expectations fairly soon, so that tensions don't start to erupt into something dangerous.  I know they want to keep the big romance as a surprise for the majority of the GA, but I doubt they expected quite this much hostility to the idea among the nerderazzi.  It's really struck a nerve, hasn't it?  

In some ways it feels like an echo of what's happening in the USA with Trump, and here in the UK with Brexit.  A segment of the population wants the certainty of hate and blaming, and for once they're being given validation by authority figures.

AD doesn't look like he needs too much protection, but I hope LF are looking out for him.

It's kind of ridiculous, isn't it? That we're mixing Star Wars with real life guns?

I think Disney/LF would be wise to continue on their marketing of Rey and Kylo together. People need to get used to seeing them together. Unfortunately in context it has only been in fighting stances but I wonder if they could introduce a Rey character face into Disney Parks and have people meet her and Kylo in the same place or something. There are things they could do, like put them on products without lightsabers in hand, or continue their "is he redeemable?" type prompting.

As far as addressing it specifically, I'd love it but I understand what some of you have said about the dangers of that.

I trust Disney to be smart enough to make it work without spoiling it all but somehow, someway, they need to figure out how to soften the crowds to the Reylo angle they so heavily hinted at in TFA.
@Xylo Ren

I think the big mistake was JJ saying the interrogation scene was akin to 'rape'.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee Wed 03 Aug 2016, 1:34 am

motherofpearl1 wrote:
Xylo Ren wrote:

@Xylo Ren

I think the big mistake was JJ saying the interrogation scene was akin to 'rape'.
@motherofpearl1

Yeah,this really makes me feel uncomfrotable.I mean we're not even sure if he really did say that so I don't want to make any judgements on that but if that's true it's wrong on so many levels.Mind reading is something many characters have done in the SW universe are all of them rapists now?Was Poe raped as well?You can call the scene torture if you want to but don't compare it to something as seriously as rape because it's not even close to that.

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 Wed 03 Aug 2016, 1:42 am

Well, if anyone here has seen 'X Men' or any of its sequels you could call Prof X, humanitarian, a 'serial rapist'. confused
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rimfaxe96 Wed 03 Aug 2016, 6:25 am

I don't think AD needs protection, and I also doubt LF/Disney care about the nerderazzi (who are a minority anyway, and frankly a basically meaningless minority too; a few hundred people less watching the movie is nothing compared to the millions of people whose interest in Star Wars was revived by TFA). The only thing that'll change when reylo and finntran become canon is that people will start hating Rey and celebrate Tran's character as the real protagonist instead.

As for the shooting thing - just proves that anti's, whatever they're hating on, are at best troubled people (although the shooter is probably rather psychotic). And regarding the 'rape' thing - oh boy, no wonder so many men are imprisoned because of false accusations. Just when exactly did Ren sexually violate Rey?
Rimfaxe96
Rimfaxe96
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat Wed 03 Aug 2016, 6:43 am

Rimfaxe96 wrote:The only thing that'll change when reylo and finntran become canon is that people will start hating Rey and celebrate Tran's character as the real protagonist instead.
@Rimfaxe96

I actually saw this happen on Twitter already! Some antis and (former) FinnReys were surprised about the recent KMT hype and started speculating that perhaps she and Finn are the real main characters of the trilogy.

I think it was @vaderito who said that KMT will likely get hate from Stormpilot fans if anyone. FinnReys of the social justice kind will celebrate her as a groundbreaking character, as they should. Nothing will please those FinnReys who have nothing to do with social justice and who have already shown their misogynist colours, of course.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Jakku Wed 03 Aug 2016, 6:46 am

Rimfaxe96 wrote:I don't think AD needs protection, and I also doubt LF/Disney care about the nerderazzi (who are a minority anyway, and frankly a basically meaningless minority too; a few hundred people less watching the movie is nothing compared to the millions of people whose interest in Star Wars was revived by TFA). The only thing that'll change when reylo and finntran become canon is that people will start hating Rey and celebrate Tran's character as the real protagonist instead.

As for the shooting thing - just proves that anti's, whatever they're hating on, are at best troubled people (although the shooter is probably rather psychotic). And regarding the 'rape' thing - oh boy, no wonder so many men are imprisoned because of false accusations. Just when exactly did Ren sexually violate Rey?
@Rimfaxe96

By definition, most people who attack celebrities are in the minority. What you need is a high level of negative emotion and hatred, a desire for public recognition, and access to weapons. Which country does AD live in again?

The troubling thing here is the actual visual image of two characters being shot at with a gun. No matter the intent, the image can stick. It was a profoundly foolish and dangerous thing to post.

Jakku
Jakku
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat Wed 03 Aug 2016, 6:49 am

Jakku wrote:
Rimfaxe96 wrote:I don't think AD needs protection, and I also doubt LF/Disney care about the nerderazzi (who are a minority anyway, and frankly a basically meaningless minority too; a few hundred people less watching the movie is nothing compared to the millions of people whose interest in Star Wars was revived by TFA). The only thing that'll change when reylo and finntran become canon is that people will start hating Rey and celebrate Tran's character as the real protagonist instead.

@Rimfaxe96

By definition, most people who attack celebrities are in the minority. What you need is a high level of negative emotion and hatred, a desire for public recognition, and access to weapons. Which country does AD live in again?

The troubling thing here is the actual visual image of two characters being shot at with a gun. No matter the intent, the image can stick. It was a profoundly foolish and dangerous thing to post.

@Jakku

I agree. And it's particularly dangerous because it can encourage others who are even crazier than the person who posted it.
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 Wed 03 Aug 2016, 7:04 am

I know this seems like a completely different subject, but bear with me...
I live in the UK, and over the past few years certain newspapers have been running what can only be described as a hate campaign against anyone who has to live on social security. They've been described as 'lazy, morally repugnant, a burden on society' - this has been directed against people who are sick, mentally ill, or physically disabled. Not long ago I read a letter in an 'agony aunt' column from a lovely young woman who is unable to work due to a life shortening health condition.Her brother has his own business and pays her an allowance, as well as rent for her apartment, so she does not have to rely on state support. She has always got on well with her neighbours - until the day she accidentally let slip she wasn't working. Quite suddenly she found herself shunned by people she had always got on well with, and even verbally harassed by them. She ended her letter by saying she wished she was dead.
If this kind of attitude can be shown to people who are unwell, and over something so petty, then I guess we shouldn't be surprised at how low people can sink. Bad even a handsome, talented and by all accounts nice person like Adam Driver is castigated over his appearance. Bad enough a friendly good natured girl like Daisy Ridley is verbally abused for expressing her opinions. But for some Censored to post pictures of them full of pellet holes is beyond belief. This person should be prosecuted.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rimfaxe96 Wed 03 Aug 2016, 7:31 am

Jakku wrote:By definition, most people who attack celebrities are in the minority.  What you need is a high level of negative emotion and hatred, a desire for public recognition, and access to weapons.  Which country does AD live in again?

The troubling thing here is the actual visual image of two characters being shot at with a gun.  No matter the intent, the image can stick.  It was a profoundly foolish and dangerous thing to post.

But AD isn't posting about his whereabouts on the internet. No one really knows where he is except when he's announced to be somewhere for special occasions (basically always PR stuff - and since Christina Grimmie I doubt they'll let anyone get anywhere near celebrities without searching their bags etc - hell, I even had my handbag checked before a minor Billy Talent concert, no idea how that kid got to her with a gun?!). Daisy is a far more vulnerable target, especially now that she expressed that their postings indeed had an effect (bad choice, real bad choice - it just gives them the motivation to keep going).

But I do agree with you about the image this created.
However, it's impossible to ban stupidity, and clearly someone's parents failed their job.
Just wait until he posts shooting at a Bible or Quran book. Laughing
Rimfaxe96
Rimfaxe96
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase Sat 06 Aug 2016, 2:17 pm

More pictures of Daisy in Disneyland.

http://www.hawtcelebs.com/daisy-ridley-disneyland-anaheim-08042016/

I don't know why, but somehow she reminds me of Lena Dunham here.
EchoBase
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackcanary Sat 06 Aug 2016, 2:32 pm

EchoBase wrote:More pictures of Daisy in Disneyland.

@EchoBase

Ouch! Laughing

Blackcanary
Blackcanary
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Sat 06 Aug 2016, 2:34 pm

@EchoBase

Her outfit and the way that she has her (short) hair pulled back is very reminiscent of Hannah on Girls.

She looks comfortable--I love that she's so casual in her Instagram and candid photos that fans take with her. She'll go from looking like she does in those pics to being totally glammed out for photoshoots/events.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase Sat 06 Aug 2016, 2:37 pm

Blackcanary wrote:

@EchoBase

Ouch! Laughing

@Blackcanary

That shouldn't be an insult Wink
Just the casual way of her style and her blogger bun, kinda remind me of her.
EchoBase
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackcanary Sat 06 Aug 2016, 2:44 pm

EchoBase wrote:
Blackcanary wrote:

@EchoBase

Ouch! Laughing

@Blackcanary

That shouldn't be an insult Wink
Just the casual way of her style and her blogger bun, kinda remind me of her.
@EchoBase

Heh, I know what you mean, it just made me laugh: I suspect Daisy's style here is saying 'it's really bloody hot and I am off duty for the day'.
Blackcanary
Blackcanary
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Sat 06 Aug 2016, 3:20 pm

Everyone is so buff - DR, AD, JB and KMT. What are they going to do in VIII?
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next