Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rogue One - Spoilers Allowed

+36
ReyofLightSide
Rogue Rey
Darth Dementor
Piper Maru
Geralt_Riv
MoonlitMoss
Marchtwin
Helix
AnneNeville
MindAndMagic
FrolickingFizzgig
spacebaby45678
Birdwoman
Reynak
rey09
snufkin
IoJovi
BastilaBey
jakkusun
Kyla Ren
Gemini
motherofpearl1
Darth Dingbat
EchoBase
Sylvia Snow
Irina de France
Xylo Ren
CienaRee
SanghaRen
guardienne
Darth_Awakened
SoloSideCousin
ISeeAnIsland
Kessel
panki
Saracene
40 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Rogue One - Spoilers Allowed - Page 3 Empty Re: Rogue One - Spoilers Allowed

Post by jakkusun Fri 23 Dec 2016, 12:26 pm

I don't think anyone has posted this yet? It's getting retweeted by lots of Star Wars people (Pablo, Andi, etc.)

http://www.teenvogue.com/story/rogue-one-jyn-erso-romantic-storyline

But it honestly confuses me. Idk maybe we have different definitions of romance, but I would call Jyn's and Cassian's relationship romantic. Very understated, but still romantic. I've been seeing others saying how great it is that Kanan and Hera don't have a romance either, in response to this article, but I thought Kanan and Hera had a romance of very much the same level as Jyn and Cassian?

It's confusing since multiple storygroup people are retweeting this as if to confirm it? All I can assume is that when they say there is "no romance," they mean "understated romance?" I really like understated romance. I really like that romance isn't one of the major defining plot points for Jyn's story--like it wasn't her main purpose in the story. But...I could've sworn there was a hint of romance, still? Or was I just imagining that tension in the elevator?

To quote the article "And while it’s common to try to look for signs of flirtation or tension between two characters playing opposite one another, it’s important to recognize when those things simply aren’t there. Just because there’s two characters sharing a lot of screen time together in a movie does not automatically signify a romance (just like when two celebrities share a meal together, it doesn’t mean they are dating)."

Hahaha sigh I do agree with this, but I still think I saw tension between Jyn and Cassian gosh darnit.
jakkusun
jakkusun
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Dec 2016, 12:37 pm

I just read that article @jakkusun and while I didn't read as much romance into Jyn and Cassien's interactions, it was clear they had forged a bond by the end that would qualify under what I class as romantic.

While I agree that a woman finding romantic love shouldn't be the be all and end all and isn't necessary for a person to find fulfilment, I'm not sure I'd call the absence of it (which is debatable here in any case) for Jyn as refreshing. I guess it adds to the tragedy that she never got to experience having a loving partner and children of her own, or maybe she never wanted those things anyway. We will never know, I suppose, because she gave her life for a greater cause.

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened Fri 23 Dec 2016, 12:42 pm

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:I just read that article @jakkusun and while I didn't read as much romance into Jyn and Cassien's interactions, it was clear they had forged a bond by the end that would qualify under what I class as romantic.

While I agree that a woman finding romantic love shouldn't be the be all and end all and isn't necessary for a person to find fulfilment, I'm not sure I'd call the absence of it (which is debatable here in any case) for Jyn as refreshing. I guess it adds to the tragedy that she never got to experience having a loving partner and children of her own, or maybe she never wanted those things anyway. We will never know, I suppose, because she gave her life for a greater cause.
@Mrs Ben Solo

Also read that article a half an hour ago.
I clearly saw some vibes in the movie between her and Cassian that I would definitely say that were romantic.
I don't need a plain making out on screen - to say it's romantic.
Obviously some people need it.

Darth_Awakened
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase Fri 23 Dec 2016, 12:43 pm

jakkusun wrote:I don't think anyone has posted this yet? It's getting retweeted by lots of Star Wars people (Pablo, Andi, etc.)

But it honestly confuses me. Idk maybe we have different definitions of romance, but I would call Jyn's and Cassian's relationship romantic. Very understated, but still romantic. I've been seeing others saying how great it is that Kanan and Hera don't have a romance either, in response to this article, but I thought Kanan and Hera had a romance of very much the same level as Jyn and Cassian?

It's confusing since multiple storygroup people are retweeting this as if to confirm it? All I can assume is that when they say there is "no romance," they mean "understated romance?" I really like understated romance. I really like that romance isn't one of the major defining plot points for Jyn's story--like it wasn't her main purpose in the story. But...I could've sworn there was a hint of romance, still? Or was I just imagining that tension in the elevator?

To quote the article "And while it’s common to try to look for signs of flirtation or tension between two characters playing opposite one another, it’s important to recognize when those things simply aren’t there. Just because there’s two characters sharing a lot of screen time together in a movie does not automatically signify a romance (just like when two celebrities share a meal together, it doesn’t mean they are dating)."

Hahaha sigh I do agree with this, but I still think I saw tension between Jyn and Cassian gosh darnit.
@jakkusun

Well, too bad that "Episode VIII will have romance in it, but not the way we're expecting".
What really confused me, is that now everyone is making fun of shipping/shippers again. I think, there is a big difference between seeing subtle romance and shipping characters.
EchoBase
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened Fri 23 Dec 2016, 12:58 pm

EchoBase wrote:
jakkusun wrote:I don't think anyone has posted this yet? It's getting retweeted by lots of Star Wars people (Pablo, Andi, etc.)

@jakkusun

Well, too bad that "Episode VIII will have romance in it, but not the way we're expecting".
What really confused me, is that now everyone is making fun of shipping/shippers again. I think, there is a big difference between seeing subtle romance and shipping characters.
@EchoBase

Actually I do not think it's the blatant case of making fun this time around. It's just entering the Twilight zone once again, as it seems.
Some people are just a sort of blind to spot a romantic vibes.
If something was obvious than it was the looks Cassian gave Jyn towards the end of the movie. No matter what happened (didn't happen) next.

Darth_Awakened
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Dingbat Fri 23 Dec 2016, 1:05 pm

@jakkusun

Rogue One - Spoilers Allowed - Page 3 8b176b52163a66ce75d1b6423b6b510b0830653bb028ccf09f78fb15d25dfe93

Seriously, does romance have to be spelled out to count as romance at all these days?

I suppose none of the subtle "what if" dynamics in the history of literature and cinema count for anything these days. Apparently there's a requirement for plainly stated declarations and kisses (and preferably more).
Darth Dingbat
Darth Dingbat
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey Fri 23 Dec 2016, 1:17 pm

It's pretty amusing that in that article the writer talks about stormpilot, as if that's so obvious. Star Wars fandom has made it super clear to me that character interactions are anything but. Every fan seems to read everything differently. Which is fine of course, but to say 'my ship is obvious but there's absolutely nothing in canon that supports yours' seems a little hypocritical.
BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by CienaRee Fri 23 Dec 2016, 1:32 pm

@jakkusun
I think it was deffinatly alluded that Jyn and Cassian had feelings for each other.Felicity Jones confirmed it(sort of) in an interview and the novalization also makes it clear that Jyn and Cassian were in love or at least felt something very close to romantic love.

CienaRee
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Dec 2016, 4:47 pm

Darth_Awakened wrote:Also read that article a half an hour ago.
I clearly saw some vibes in the movie between her and Cassian that I would definitely say that were romantic.
I don't need  a plain making out on screen - to say it's romantic.
Obviously some people need it.
@Darth_Awakened

The way they looked at each other when they were descending in the elevator from the antenna platform said it all.  I doubt Cassian ever looked at K2SO like that at the end of a mission.

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Fri 23 Dec 2016, 5:51 pm

I didn't think there was a romance as such, but something that could have blossomed into a romance if the characters had more time together? For sure.

I'm really tired of the thinking that romance should either be end-all be-all, or not there at all. It's never a problem for male heroes, they can have their quest whatever -and- a love interest.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 23 Dec 2016, 5:55 pm

I think an attraction was depicted that did not have the opportunity to develop into a romance, which was part of the tragedy of the film. They had feelings but not enough time to act on them.

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Fri 23 Dec 2016, 5:56 pm

Oh FFS.  It was clear to me that Jyn and Cassian's relationship was the romance that never was.  Why do people need these things spelled out? The subtlety is what I loved about it.

I also agree, it's confusing that the TPTB are retweeting this.  I know Pablo dislikes shipping, but honestly this story is now canon.  It was also one of my favorite aspects of Rogue One.  

If others didn't catch on, they at the minimum need glasses.
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Fri 23 Dec 2016, 9:45 pm

Eh, I'll give Teen Vogue a pass considering that they're doing more truthful and brave journalism these days than 'serious' news outlets. And there's nothing wrong with that interpretation, it could be read either way from how it was presented between the two of them at the end.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rey09 Sat 24 Dec 2016, 9:57 pm

@jakkusun

I'm so late to the party- JUST came back from seeing Rogue One. ABSOLUTELY DEVASTATED =( =(
I figured they'd all die in the end, but damnn it was so heartbreaking seeing all of them go down one by one. K2SO's exit just broke me, I friggen LOVED HIM! Ugh stories of sacrifice kill me, and this totally hit me. Also I was WRITHING in my chair during the Vader duel. Holy f***!!!!!!

Ok I love you guys soo much because we all think the same Laughing . So before I saw the movie I was thinking Jyn and Cassian would have something, but for most of the movie, it seemed to me like ok well maybe they're just going down the just friends route. But then things got so tense between them and damn the last few moments they had together!! There was a moment when they were going down the elevator and they were soooo close and I was like OMG THEYRE GONNA KISS!!! But it never happened....But I agree with you all, there just had to be something, the way they looked at each other in those last moments. I wish they had the chance to be together in the future... the last scene with the explosion in the background and holding each other by sea, ugh was sooo tragic. Ugh ugh ugh Reylo has to have a happy ending guys!! Jyn and Cassian reminded me of Max and Furiosa, although they were really ambiguous whereas Jyn and Cassian, idk it just seemed like there definitely was something. Blahh

rey09
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 Sun 25 Dec 2016, 3:31 am

CienaRee wrote:

@jakkusun
I think it was deffinatly alluded that Jyn and Cassian had feelings for each other.Felicity Jones confirmed it(sort of) in an interview and the novalization also makes it clear that Jyn and Cassian were in love or at least felt something very close to romantic love.
@CienaRee

Yes - and if they can show romance between characters that knew each other so briefly and make it so poignant and beautiful, there's hope for Reylo.

I can't help but think Cassian and Kylo have a lot in common physically; neither of these guys are conventionally handsome but they have an incredible appeal that some more 'traditionally' good looking men do not.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Reynak Sun 25 Dec 2016, 6:12 pm

@

I wasn't expecting anything between them but the way they gazed at each other on that lift was definitely romantic, especially the way he looked at her. Actors play a role in a certain way for reasons and that was the look of what could have been. And it was f....g intense. So I don't agree there was nothing romantic between those two cause longing glances and lost chances can be more romantic than obvious sexy scenes.

Those guys are wrong dismissing the power of a good romantic vibe in a movie because it's really powerful when done right. It adds dramatism and poignancy to an already dramatic ending. I loved that longing stare Cassian gave Jyn and how she gazed into his eyes, and don't see how that can be overlooked or ignored, especially if it's because fanboys don't want their heroines to have a romantic subplot.

That longing glance took me by surpise as I never anticipated it or thought it was going to happen, so this can't be wishful thinking on my part; it was there and i can't understand how anyone could miss it. That was all there was, it was sublte and understated but it was there and it was beautiful precisely because of its subtlety, hinting at what could never be now. Sad
Reynak
Reynak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Reynak Mon 26 Dec 2016, 2:15 am

EchoBase wrote:

@jakkusun

@EchoBase

I also wonder why these guys think they know what we expect when most of us don't know what to expect ourselves. Is it that they can read our minds better than we do ourselves. We expect some sort of romance but this may go many different ways. They have the subtlety of a brick hitting your head if that intense look between Cassian and Jyn flew over their heads, so they will probably see romance if the characters say I love you several times in a minute or something. Well, I don't expect that kind or romance or even want it in episode Vlll. They don't know what we expect and they don't know what the movie will give us unless they've seen it already, so their words mean very little to me. It's just their opinion, nothing less and nothing more. And opinion I can't trust much if they say there wasn't anything romantic in Rogue One. I found the ending very romantic and it was worth a thousand 'love' scenes in your typical action flick with a male lead.

EchoBase wrote:

@jakkusun

@EchoBase

Another assumption is that we look for flirtation signs when I, for instance, never do that. It would be beyond stupid to expect flirtation in Rogue One under such dramatic circumstances. That look in the lift was anything but flirtatious, it was deadly serious like the whole scene itself. There was no need to have us witness that descent down the tower and that silent focus on his longing eyes. Scenes are kept after editing cuts for reasons and that one was most meaningful. There's a reason some expected a kiss there, although I didn't expext it, the poignacy was so intense most of us noticed it and some thought they might share a kiss. But sometimes the look in a man's eyes is worth a thousand words, like his was in that scene. How can anything be more romantic?

I think that showed the audience how much they lost there and how much they sacrificed, because she lived a hard lonely life without a family or any other kind of love in it. She was too bitter when she was taken to have experinced a pleasant life. He was dark and his conscience was weighed by the things he'd done for the greater good. So they lost their last chance at happiness on that mission and they did it for everyone else, for the ones who survived. That made their sacrifice even more beautiful when perhaps for the first time in years ( if not for ever) they had much to lose.
Reynak
Reynak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by motherofpearl1 Wed 28 Dec 2016, 12:12 pm

I've just seen it.
And Ican't find any flaws to be honest. I loved it. The characters, the story, the acting ...all faultless. From Diego Luna's quietly flawed yet marvellously likeable 'hero' to Jones's world weary heroine to Mendehlson's charming psycho...I loved all of them.

They've proved 'Star Wars' can be 'dark'yet still inspiring. Roll on Ep VIII.
motherofpearl1
motherofpearl1
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Thu 29 Dec 2016, 5:42 pm

Can we just talk about the scene that saved the whole movie?

Can we just talk about Vader wiping out a hallway full of people? That is Vader, that is a monster, that is terrifying!

Ommmggg

In the cinema I was just like...I can't even explain
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Dec 2016, 11:19 pm

I can't stop thinking about Vader's castle and wondering if we will see it again...

Rogue One - Spoilers Allowed - Page 3 Vader_10

http://www.slashfilm.com/darth-vaders-castle-rogue-one/

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Thu 29 Dec 2016, 11:25 pm

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:I can't stop thinking about Vader's castle and wondering if we will see it again...

@Mrs Ben Solo

IMO, there's no way they introduced that location for it to only be used in that one scene in Rogue One.

It looks a bit different from that background structure in Rey's Force back (the thing that many of us thought was the Force tree), but I have wondered if somehow the climate on Mustafar changed, and that thing in the background is Vader's castle.

Rogue One - Spoilers Allowed - Page 3 Tumblr_inline_o14s5y7TCb1rgz8jq_500
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 29 Dec 2016, 11:49 pm

ISeeAnIsland wrote:
Mrs Ben Solo wrote:I can't stop thinking about Vader's castle and wondering if we will see it again...

@Mrs Ben Solo

IMO, there's no way they introduced that location for it to only be used in that one scene in Rogue One.

It looks a bit different from that background structure in Rey's Force back (the thing that many of us thought was the Force tree), but I have wondered if somehow the climate on Mustafar changed, and that thing in the background is Vader's castle.
@ISeeAnIsland

Oh, I agree and I'm intrigued by the mention of it being built on top of an ancient Sith cave. This makes me think of the unused concept art from TFA and I wonder if Snoke could be dwelling there. On a selfish level, I would rather Snoke wasn't there and that the castle belonged to Kylo now, but I would be happy to see it again either way.

Back to top Go down

Post by panki Fri 30 Dec 2016, 1:53 am

ISeeAnIsland wrote:

@Mrs Ben Solo

Rogue One - Spoilers Allowed - Page 3 Tumblr_inline_o14s5y7TCb1rgz8jq_500
@ISeeAnIsland

I just realised that Vader's castle has already appeared once before RO.....it was the Black Sun's fortress on Mustafar from which Quinlan Vos and Asajj Ventress rescued the Pyke children in Dark Disciple...I knew I had read about it somewhere before....here is the description from the novel...

Take this Black Sun fortress, for instance. The thing towered over the mining facility and the ramshackle houses like an enthroned giant, and it was almost a town unto itself. The guard had referred to a “house,” as if the area were an ordinary dwelling place. This house, though, was perched high inside the massive tower that was the centerpiece of the fortress. Lights shone like eyes, and the whole thing reeked of power and the willingness to use it.

There are more descriptions of the interiors as well but they're mixed into the dialogues. This also raises the question- is Vader affiliated with the Black Sun in some way? Is the Black Sun the precursor of the FO?

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Gemini Fri 30 Dec 2016, 3:39 am

@Mrs Ben Solo

I think we will in episode 8, said something like this a bit earlier in the thread a few days ago:
Gemini wrote:So darth Vader has a castle? there's a castle in the KOR backstory when they are hunting for anakins saber

Vader relics would be In said castle. I'm guessing it will it tie in with the tfa?

Has mustafar surface solidified by the time kylo and co go there to fight a clan for a lightsaber?
@Gemini

In that leaked script from before tfa was released which had the KOR backstory, the location of a saber is in/near a castle. The clan fight against the KOR (who are using a saber against the KOR) the fight against thenclan is said to be in front of a castle in the leaked script. If the KOR are looking for relics of course they would go to vaders castle.

Of course I think it's obi wans saber and Star Wars have hinted at it in that tweet "what do you think darth Vader did with obi wans lightsaber?"

Well if he picked it up, he would take it there. I think the clan steal it there's one scene where it says they are using it as a fire starter.

I also think it's a ruin by the time KOR get there (just opinion)
Gemini
Gemini
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Fri 30 Dec 2016, 4:21 am

Gemini wrote:Can we just talk about the scene that saved the whole movie?

Can we just talk about Vader wiping out a hallway full of people? That is Vader, that is a monster, that is terrifying!

Ommmggg

In the cinema I was just like...I can't even explain
@Gemini

I did enjoy the sight of him going medieval on the Rebels Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

I don't know if this was an intended response in a movie where you're supposed to be moved by the sacrifices of the Rebellion etc. But then I also kinda cheer for Palpatine in RotS, so maybe I'm just evil.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next