Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phasma Novel Discussion (Speculation, Reviews, and Spoilers)

+5
snufkin
vaderito
panki
ISeeAnIsland
IoJovi
9 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Phasma Novel Discussion (Speculation, Reviews, and Spoilers) Empty Phasma Novel Discussion (Speculation, Reviews, and Spoilers)

Post by Guest Fri 01 Sep 2017, 8:17 pm

I purchased this book today and it has eaten up most of my evening. I'm about a third of the way through and really liking it so far. Let's discuss. Smile

Phasma has all the ambitions of a dark sider for sure. Good thing she doesn't have the Force. I think I might have figured out the twist.
Spoiler:

@nonesuch mentioned on her blog that Armitage Hux makes an appearance in his bathrobe at some point but I haven't gotten there yet. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Phasma Novel Discussion (Speculation, Reviews, and Spoilers) Empty Re: Phasma Novel Discussion (Speculation, Reviews, and Spoilers)

Post by Guest Fri 01 Sep 2017, 8:25 pm

This offers a roundup of the main Phasma plot spoilers for those who want them. I'm not sure I'll bother reading the book, I like the sound of the Leia one more (Nazi slogans aside!)

http://nerdist.com/star-wars-captain-phasma-past/

Back to top Go down

Phasma Novel Discussion (Speculation, Reviews, and Spoilers) Empty Re: Phasma Novel Discussion (Speculation, Reviews, and Spoilers)

Post by IoJovi Fri 01 Sep 2017, 8:36 pm

WhatGirl wrote:I purchased this book today and it has eaten up most of my evening. I'm about a third of the way through and really liking it so far. Let's discuss. Smile

Phasma has all the ambitions of a dark sider for sure. Good thing she doesn't have the Force. I think I might have figured out the twist.
Spoiler:

@nonesuch mentioned on her blog that Armitage Hux makes an appearance in his bathrobe at some point but I haven't gotten there yet. Laughing
@WhatGirl

I'm not reading your spoiler tag because I'm only two chapters in so far, but I'm already hooked.

Spoiler:

IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri 01 Sep 2017, 8:50 pm

@Iojovi

I'm hooked as well. I really enjoy the writing style, and of course the story is very interesting. I've been so curious about how the FO does things on the inside.

In response to your spoiler tag:
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Fri 01 Sep 2017, 8:51 pm

I bought both. Is everyone reading Phasma first? I'm planning to start one of them after I get my daughter in bed.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Fri 01 Sep 2017, 8:59 pm

ISeeAnIsland wrote:I bought both. Is everyone reading Phasma first? I'm planning to start one of them after I get my daughter in bed.
@ISeeAnIsland

I picked the Phasma book to read first as basically the luck of the draw. I plan on reading that one and the young Leia book, so I figured it didn't matter.

On a separate note, I attended a panel tonight at DragonCon called From Legends to Canon. The six panelists consisted of those knowledgeable in both the EU and the new canon novels, in addition to the films. One woman panelist said she had finished both the Phasma novel and the Leia novel since midnight last night... Shocked

Someone pointed to her Red Bull and said it explained a lot... Laughing

That panel was very entertaining, even if I'm not as up to date on the EU as some of our other members here....

IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki Sat 02 Sep 2017, 7:09 am

The Phasma novel is riveting and brutal...I love it! Am only half way through so taking a break and will join the discussion once I am done. Will get to the Leia book after since its full of Holdo references.

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki Sat 02 Sep 2017, 9:07 am

I could make a drinking game out of how many times the word 'blood' has been used in the book...

Spoiler:

Last edited by panki on Sat 02 Sep 2017, 9:28 am; edited 2 times in total

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 02 Sep 2017, 9:14 am

panki wrote:The Phasma novel is riveting and brutal...I love it! Am only half way through so taking a break and will join the discussion once I am done. Will get to the Leia book after since its full of Holdo references.
@panki

I'm at the halfway point now. Good thing it's the weekend because I was up till 3am last night reading, lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by panki Sat 02 Sep 2017, 9:18 am

WhatGirl wrote:
panki wrote:The Phasma novel is riveting and brutal...I love it! Am only half way through so taking a break and will join the discussion once I am done. Will get to the Leia book after since its full of Holdo references.
@panki

I'm at the halfway point now. Good thing it's the weekend because I was up till 3am last night reading, lol.
@WhatGirl

I took a break at the half way mark but then decided to continue....really want to see where it will end. I'm also a little impressed at the resourcefulness of the resistance.

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki Sat 02 Sep 2017, 3:28 pm

After reading the book, I find it hard to believe the old rumor that Finn will defeat Phasma and cut her arm off....I think Hux has a better chance of being bumped off....she is just too much of a survivor.

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 02 Sep 2017, 3:36 pm

I'm on chapter 24, and I think unmasked Phasma
Spoiler:

Back to top Go down

Post by panki Sat 02 Sep 2017, 3:56 pm

WhatGirl wrote:I'm on chapter 24, and I think unmasked Phasma
Spoiler:
@WhatGirl

Wait till the end....she unmasks once again.... Winks

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Sat 02 Sep 2017, 6:08 pm

Spoilers from Reddit and my comments in green:

Spoiler:
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Sat 02 Sep 2017, 7:25 pm

I just made it to Chapter Six, and I'm hooked, but it looks like I've got a ways to go to get caught up with everyone else here.

ETA: For those wondering about the red armored trooper, I don't think Cardinal is a Praetorian. Here's one of the official images for the book:

Phasma Novel Discussion (Speculation, Reviews, and Spoilers) Phasma-novel-variant-cover-red-armor-1015452

I do find it very interesting that Cardinal was originally from Jakku.

ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Sun 03 Sep 2017, 12:49 am

PT "sand" references never get old to me. Laughed at this line (not really a spoiler in any sense):

"I've never walked on sand," Torban noted. "What's it like?"

Phasma's people looked to her, but she nodded to Brendol.

"It shifts under your feet. Coarse and rough. Irritating. Gets everywhere. Slips into your clothes and boots."
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Sun 03 Sep 2017, 1:13 am

So from the Reddit spoilers
speculation:
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Tue 05 Sep 2017, 11:44 am

I'm only on page 100 so far, so I'm still staying away from the spoiler tags for now, but is anyone else picturing Brendan Gleeson as Brendol Hux?

lol!
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Tue 05 Sep 2017, 12:29 pm

IoJovi wrote:I'm only on page 100 so far, so I'm still staying away from the spoiler tags for now, but is anyone else picturing Brendan Gleeson as Brendol Hux?

lol!
@IoJovi

God, yes! That would be perfect casting!

So, I finished Phasma right before I went to bed last night. I'm dying to talk about it. I LOVED the characters of Vi, Cardinal, and Siv...

spoiler:

On a high, non-spoiler level, I thought that this book served as a nice bridge between Empire's End and TFA:

spoiler:

We also got another study in contrasts:

spoiler:
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen Thu 07 Sep 2017, 1:42 pm

I am at 28%, chapter 15. Too much leisure stuff at the same time so I had to set priorities and Phasma had to wait Smile Now I can focus on it. So far I like it. I especially like that Phasma's story is told not from her perspective but through someone who told someone who is telling someone else. It gives the whole story a touch of myth and one might wonder if it's all true. I also like the tug of war between Cardinal and Vi. The greyness of it all reminds me of Inferno Squad. Seems to become a trademark of SW books. It really feels like war. Although in terms of greyness, I'd say that

Spoiler:

Brendol Hux reminds me of some managers in my company. So depending on what he does, he gets the face of manager A, B or C in my head.
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Thu 07 Sep 2017, 1:51 pm

SanghaRen wrote:I am at 28%, chapter 15. Too much leisure stuff at the same time so I had to set priorities and Phasma had to wait Smile Now I can focus on it. So far I like it. I especially like that Phasma's story is told not from her perspective but through someone who told someone who is telling someone else. It gives the whole story a touch of myth and one might wonder if it's all true. I also like the tug of war between Cardinal and Vi. The greyness of it all reminds me of Inferno Squad. Seems to become a trademark of SW books. It really feels like war. Although in terms of greyness, I'd say that

Spoiler:

Brendol Hux reminds me of some managers in my company. So depending on what he does, he gets the face of manager A, B or C in my head.
@SanghaRen

I'm at exactly the 50% mark, and I'm absolutely loving it.  It really is a page turner.  I saw it described as Mad Max meets Star Wars and that's about as accurate as it gets.  

Oh yes, the characters are pretty grey.  Even Phasma I think starts out that way, but she gets progressively darker as the story goes on. 

Spoiler:
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Thu 07 Sep 2017, 1:54 pm

SanghaRen wrote:I am at 28%, chapter 15. Too much leisure stuff at the same time so I had to set priorities and Phasma had to wait Smile Now I can focus on it. So far I like it. I especially like that Phasma's story is told not from her perspective but through someone who told someone who is telling someone else. It gives the whole story a touch of myth and one might wonder if it's all true. I also like the tug of war between Cardinal and Vi. The greyness of it all reminds me of Inferno Squad. Seems to become a trademark of SW books. It really feels like war. Although in terms of greyness, I'd say that

Spoiler:

@SanghaRen

I agree. Most of the characters seem to be pretty firmly "grey".

Another thing that I forgot to bring up that I thought was interesting:

spoiler:
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki Thu 07 Sep 2017, 2:32 pm

ISeeAnIsland wrote:

Spoiler:

@SanghaRen

I agree.  Most of the characters seem to be pretty firmly "grey".

spoiler:
@ISeeAnIsland

I noticed that as well and immediately thought it might foreshadow Kylo defecting to the resistance by episode 9...but on second thought, it could also mean Phasma tries to change sides when she thinks the FO is losing. (I hope that isn't the case though) Suspect

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen Thu 07 Sep 2017, 2:56 pm

panki wrote:
ISeeAnIsland wrote:

Spoiler:

@SanghaRen

spoiler:
@ISeeAnIsland

I noticed that as well and immediately thought it might foreshadow Kylo defecting to the resistance by episode 9...but on second thought, it could also mean Phasma tries to change sides when she thinks the FO is losing. (I hope that isn't the case though)  Suspect
@panki

Yes, I was thinking about Kylo too for that, but

Spoiler:
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by panki Thu 07 Sep 2017, 3:03 pm

SanghaRen wrote:
panki wrote:
ISeeAnIsland wrote:

Spoiler:

@SanghaRen

spoiler:
@ISeeAnIsland

I noticed that as well and immediately thought it might foreshadow Kylo defecting to the resistance by episode 9...but on second thought, it could also mean Phasma tries to change sides when she thinks the FO is losing. (I hope that isn't the case though)  Suspect
@panki

Yes, I was thinking about Kylo too for that, but

Spoiler:
@SanghaRen

Spoiler:

Last edited by panki on Thu 07 Sep 2017, 3:05 pm; edited 2 times in total

panki
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next