Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Phasma Novel Discussion (Speculation, Reviews, and Spoilers)

+5
snufkin
vaderito
panki
ISeeAnIsland
IoJovi
9 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Phasma Novel Discussion (Speculation, Reviews, and Spoilers) - Page 2 Empty Re: Phasma Novel Discussion (Speculation, Reviews, and Spoilers)

Post by ISeeAnIsland Thu 07 Sep 2017, 3:04 pm

SanghaRen wrote:
panki wrote:
ISeeAnIsland wrote:
SanghaRen wrote:I am at 28%, chapter 15. Too much leisure stuff at the same time so I had to set priorities and Phasma had to wait Smile Now I can focus on it. So far I like it. I especially like that Phasma's story is told not from her perspective but through someone who told someone who is telling someone else. It gives the whole story a touch of myth and one might wonder if it's all true. I also like the tug of war between Cardinal and Vi. The greyness of it all reminds me of Inferno Squad. Seems to become a trademark of SW books. It really feels like war. Although in terms of greyness, I'd say that

Spoiler:

Brendol Hux reminds me of some managers in my company. So depending on what he does, he gets the face of manager A, B or C in my head.
@SanghaRen

I agree.  Most of the characters seem to be pretty firmly "grey".

Another thing that I forgot to bring up that I thought was interesting:

spoiler:
@ISeeAnIsland

I noticed that as well and immediately thought it might foreshadow Kylo defecting to the resistance by episode 9...but on second thought, it could also mean Phasma tries to change sides when she thinks the FO is losing. (I hope that isn't the case though)  Suspect
@panki

Yes, I was thinking about Kylo too for that, but

Spoiler:
@SanghaRen

I felt like

spoiler:
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Phasma Novel Discussion (Speculation, Reviews, and Spoilers) - Page 2 Empty Re: Phasma Novel Discussion (Speculation, Reviews, and Spoilers)

Post by SanghaRen Thu 07 Sep 2017, 3:21 pm

IoJovi wrote: I'm at exactly the 50% mark, and I'm absolutely loving it.  It really is a page turner.  I saw it described as Mad Max meets Star Wars and that's about as accurate as it gets.  

Oh yes, the characters are pretty grey.  Even Phasma I think starts out that way, but she gets progressively darker as the story goes on. 

Spoiler:
@IoJovi

Funny about Mad Max. Were you in the writer panel at the SWC where Delilah Dawson mentioned listening to the Fury Road soundtrack (and Star Wars soundtrack) while writing the book? I wanted to give her a hug.
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen Sun 10 Sep 2017, 11:50 am

I am 80% in the book. I don't know if I'll make it to read the last 20% today. Siv has really grown on me. She's the opposite of Phasma. She reminds me of the female protagonist of Avatar with her attachment to the cycle of life and honesty and general empathy towards all living beins. Seeing the story through her eyes, it sometimes reminded me of everything I despise in our society. This part for instance is for me a perfect description of the corporate environment and what is wrong with it.

Spoiler:

And this part resonates with me too, because indeed who else than humans can cause such destruction.

Spoiler:

For a SW book, it is dark. My, the female authors are worse than their male counterparts  Shocked Already, Inferno Squad was violent with acts of terror and torture but going down the road of

Spoiler:

I nearly screamed when Rae Sloane was mentioned and I don't know if she'll be mentioned again in the last 20%, but

Spoiler:

It's tiring to put everything under spoiler tags  Smile Last one on the difference between Armitage and Phasma

Spoiler:
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Sun 10 Sep 2017, 12:58 pm

So I just finished the book. What a ride!!! Wow. I have so much to say right now which has the potential to go off in so many different directions. I'll try to keep it concise.

Spoiler:

IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen Sun 10 Sep 2017, 3:11 pm

I finished the book too.

Regarding the First Order leader, @ISeeAnIsland

Spoiler:

I felt for Iris. Amazing how some droids get so human in SW. It made me think of Del and his pet droid. I thought that part was funny.

Spoiler:

I am not sure I share your view on Phasma, @IoJovi. You know whom she reminds me of in a way? Walt from Breaking Bad and

Spoiler:

And now we know why she wears a chrome armor Very Happy That is the prize for reading the book.
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Sun 10 Sep 2017, 3:28 pm

SanghaRen wrote:I finished the book too.

Regarding the First Order leader, @ISeeAnIsland

Spoiler:

I felt for Iris. Amazing how some droids get so human in SW. It made me think of Del and his pet droid. I thought that part was funny.

Spoiler:

I am not sure I share your view on Phasma, @IoJovi. You know whom she reminds me of in a way? Walt from Breaking Bad and

Spoiler:

And now we know why she wears a chrome armor Very Happy That is the prize for reading the book.
@SanghaRen

Spoiler:

IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by adamdrivershair Sun 10 Sep 2017, 3:31 pm

Great thoughts @IoJovi and @SanghaRen! I just finished the book too.

Spoiler:
adamdrivershair
adamdrivershair
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Sun 10 Sep 2017, 3:41 pm

adamdrivershair wrote:Great thoughts @IoJovi and @SanghaRen! I just finished the book too.

Spoiler:
@adamdrivershair

Spoiler:

IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by adamdrivershair Sun 10 Sep 2017, 7:01 pm

IoJovi wrote:
adamdrivershair wrote:Great thoughts @IoJovi and @SanghaRen! I just finished the book too.

Spoiler:
@adamdrivershair

Spoiler:

@IoJovi

What reference to Kylux are you referring to?
adamdrivershair
adamdrivershair
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Sun 10 Sep 2017, 7:06 pm

adamdrivershair wrote:
IoJovi wrote:

Spoiler:
@adamdrivershair

Spoiler:

@IoJovi

@adamdrivershair

Spoiler:
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by adamdrivershair Sun 10 Sep 2017, 7:11 pm

IoJovi wrote:
adamdrivershair wrote:
IoJovi wrote:

Spoiler:
@adamdrivershair

Spoiler:

@IoJovi

@adamdrivershair

Spoiler:
@IoJovi

It seems like Dawson likes to slip little things in like that - Kylux, the sand meme, the names of her kids. Why not, I guess!
adamdrivershair
adamdrivershair
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Sun 10 Sep 2017, 9:05 pm

IoJovi wrote:

Spoiler:
@adamdrivershair

Spoiler:

@IoJovi

Right!

spoiler:
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Man Without A Star Wed 13 Sep 2017, 11:26 am

I finally finished the audiobook today. I really enjoyed it! Also, it was one of the few novels that remained almost completely spoiler-free for me, which was a nice change after reading the several past books Very Happy

I count myself among those who were really dissapointed with Phasma in TFA. Nice looks but thats about it. After reading this novel however, Phasma became one of those villains that I love to hate. Her character and decisions were really ruthless and I did not expect her to be that cold. My hats of to Delilah S. Dawson, for writing a really compelling story that takes one of the few, but really underwhelming aspects of TFA and managing to turn her into an unexpectedly merciless and selfish character, that I am really excited to see in TLJ.

Even though the story on Pharnassos got a bit boring sometimes, I wanted to know more and kept going.
Spoiler:

Another thing that I did not expect at all from the book was the interrogation part. That is something I have not yet seen in SW and the execution was amazing imo. I liked Vi instantly, and Cardinal really grew on my by the end. The insights into First Order were also really interesting. They added a new layer to Finn's defection and I think that they opened up interesting opportunities for other stormtroopers.

Overall, great book! Great characters, tension, pacing, but most importantly - Phasma herself. Although the desert part felt too repetive sometimes, I kept listening because I wanted more. It provided a new layer of backstory for the ST and it has made me appreciate TFA more. Also, just like Catalyst for Rogue One, I am certain, that it will enjoy my first viewing of TLJ that much more.
Man Without A Star
Man Without A Star
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen Wed 13 Sep 2017, 1:50 pm

@Man Without A Star

Cool, someone else read the book! I mean, listened to it Smile I really have to watch Cloverfield one day. The little nasty beasts had me think about The Mummy.

Yes, I look forward to Phasma getting her a** kicked in TLJ after reading the book.

The desert parts really felt like Mad Max. But then in the arena I kept picturing Joaquim Phoenix even if the description did not fit. He was so convincingly creepy in Gladiator.

One thing that still bugs me is:

Spoiler:
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Wed 13 Sep 2017, 1:54 pm

SanghaRen wrote:@Man Without A Star

Cool, someone else read the book! I mean, listened to it Smile I really have to watch Cloverfield one day. The little nasty beasts had me think about The Mummy.

Yes, I look forward to Phasma getting her a** kicked in TLJ after reading the book.

The desert parts really felt like Mad Max. But then in the arena I kept picturing Joaquim Phoenix even if the description did not fit. He was so convincingly creepy in Gladiator.

Spoiler:
@SanghaRen

Spoiler:

@Man Without A Star I concur about the parallel to Cloverfield - that was truly awful!!  affraid

Last edited by IoJovi on Wed 13 Sep 2017, 1:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Man Without A Star Wed 13 Sep 2017, 1:57 pm

Spoiler:
@SanghaRen

Spot on!

The book felt like a strange mix of Mad Max, Gladiator and Cloverfield, but it worked really well Very Happy
Man Without A Star
Man Without A Star
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Wed 13 Sep 2017, 2:13 pm

Spoiler:
@SanghaRen

spoiler:
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Man Without A Star Wed 13 Sep 2017, 2:23 pm

ISeeAnIsland wrote:

Spoiler:
@SanghaRen

spoiler:
@ISeeAnIsland

Spoiler:
Man Without A Star
Man Without A Star
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen Wed 13 Sep 2017, 2:39 pm

ISeeAnIsland wrote:

Spoiler:
@SanghaRen

spoiler:
@ISeeAnIsland

Spoiler:
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Man Without A Star Wed 13 Sep 2017, 2:44 pm

SanghaRen wrote:
ISeeAnIsland wrote:

Spoiler:
@SanghaRen

spoiler:
@ISeeAnIsland

Spoiler:
@SanghaRen

Spoiler:
Man Without A Star
Man Without A Star
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by SanghaRen Wed 13 Sep 2017, 2:59 pm

@Man Without A Star

I know. *shudders to get rid of the picture forming in her head*

If you had told me some weeks ago we would be discussing c... after reading a SW book, I would have not believed you. Delilah Dawson certainly left her mark Smile
SanghaRen
SanghaRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Wed 13 Sep 2017, 3:21 pm

SanghaRen wrote:
ISeeAnIsland wrote:

Spoiler:
@SanghaRen

spoiler:
@ISeeAnIsland

Spoiler:
@SanghaRen

spoiler:
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Mon 18 Sep 2017, 2:46 pm

Huh. Well, this little promo video from the official Star Wars twitter certainly seems to contradict some of what we learned about Phasma in the Phasma novel:

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/909492161971855360
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Mon 18 Sep 2017, 3:12 pm

ISeeAnIsland wrote:Huh. Well, this little promo video from the official Star Wars twitter certainly seems to contradict some of what we learned about Phasma in the Phasma novel:

@ISeeAnIsland

That is extremely odd. You would think as hard of a grip the Story Group has on continuity, something this glaring of a contradiction wouldn't fall through the cracks. The whole point of the Phasma novel was to outline that she was loyal to no one but herself.

IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Mon 18 Sep 2017, 3:48 pm

IoJovi wrote:
ISeeAnIsland wrote:Huh. Well, this little promo video from the official Star Wars twitter certainly seems to contradict some of what we learned about Phasma in the Phasma novel:

@ISeeAnIsland

That is extremely odd. You would think as hard of a grip the Story Group has on continuity, something this glaring of a contradiction wouldn't fall through the cracks. The whole point of the Phasma novel was to outline that she was loyal to no one but herself.

@IoJovi

Right. I don't know how much the story group/continuity people have to do with promos like this, but I agree that's a glaring contradiction. I wonder if Comics Phasma is more similar to the promo. But if that's the case, I'm surprised that they allowed the Phasma novel to be published with the characterization that it paints.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next