Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sequel Trilogy: Box Office and Awards Discussion

+45
californiagirl
snufkin
Moonlight13
Dar-ren19
Kylo Rey
Let The Past Die
Riri
Armadeus
Cowgirlsamurai
vaderito
SoloSideCousin
nickandnora
cherrylipstick
rey09
giaciak2
Tex
rawpowah
Reylo Lemon
thescavenger
motherofpearl1
cirelle
SkyStar
Kessel
lauvamp
IoJovi
tukicarreno
Gemlake
Blood Moon
MrsWindu
ISeeAnIsland
SheLitAFire
FrolickingFizzgig
RosiePancake
EchoBase
Geralt_Riv
Atenais
Starliteprism
DarthRen
reylo1992
shii405
Kylo Men
nemapasara
ThereThere
LadyHa
Anakin Skywalker
49 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Sequel Trilogy: Box Office and Awards Discussion Empty Sequel Trilogy: Box Office and Awards Discussion

Post by Anakin Skywalker Tue 12 Dec 2017, 9:46 am

Mod Note:
This is the thread to talk $$$ and awards buzz/nominations/wins garnered byThe Sequel Trilogy.
There have been a few posts about this popping up throughout the forum; the staff will be collecting them and moving them to this thread.

Remember to please keep this spoiler free - if you must include a spoiler, do so under the spoiler tag above:

Sequel Trilogy: Box Office and Awards Discussion Screen62

ETA January 2018: this thread now contains spoilers. Proceed at your own discretion.

sorry if it's wrong tread or if you already discussed it, but I was so mad...
is it normal that Adam is supporting and Mark the LEAD? I thought it was only issue of OT fans and LF understand that in new trilogy leads are new characters... Even Mark and Rian said that now Kylo and Rey are main characters

Sequel Trilogy: Box Office and Awards Discussion DQoa0mzX4AISh4T
Anakin Skywalker
Anakin Skywalker
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Sequel Trilogy: Box Office and Awards Discussion Empty temp box office

Post by LadyHa Tue 12 Dec 2017, 10:03 am

Anakin Skywalker wrote:sorry if it's wrong tread or if you already discussed it, but I was so mad...
is it normal that Adam is supporting and Mark the LEAD? I thought it was only issue of OT fans and LF understand that in new trilogy leads are new characters... Even Mark and Rian said that now Kylo and Rey are main characters

Sequel Trilogy: Box Office and Awards Discussion DQoa0mzX4AISh4T
@Anakin Skywalker

This seemed backwards to me too, but I looked into this and apparently there are no rules about who is a lead vs a supporting.  I have seen several people speculate that Adam's chances of being nominated are much higher in the supporting category.  It kind of makes sense for Disney to play this game - awards for "lead" actors are usually older, well established veterans . I believe that this is tangentially related to the annoying trend of how the Oscars love young, pretty women for Lead Actress awards and old family favorites ("silver foxes") for Lead Actor. ( Here's a Washington Post article about age and gender differences in Academy Awards)
LadyHa
LadyHa
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Sequel Trilogy: Box Office and Awards Discussion Empty Re: Sequel Trilogy: Box Office and Awards Discussion

Post by ThereThere Tue 12 Dec 2017, 1:12 pm

Yes, Adam will have a better chance of being nominated in the Supporting Actor category. The categories themselves have become quite political in recent years, with a trend that some call "category fraud" taking place quite often. This is when actors who are definitely in leading roles in their films are submitted in the supporting categories, which tend to be less competitive and more favorable to "scene-stealer" type roles. A good recent example would be Alicia Vikander in The Danish Girl. She was wonderful in the film and won the Oscar for her work. She was submitted in supporting, but she was definitely in a lead role in that film.

(Another example of category fraud would be The Martian submitting, getting nominated for (and winning!) Best Musical/Comedy at the Golden Globes, because it was less competitive than the Best Drama category.)

Honestly, I will be very shocked and amazed if The Last Jedi is nominated in any categories other than Visual Effects and perhaps Original Score. The Oscars don't love fantasy blockbuster type stuff. The original film in 1977 was the exception. But then again.... Heath Ledger did win for The Dark Knight in a highly transformative and memorable villain role in a blockbuster comic book movie. It is possible.
ThereThere
ThereThere
Jedi Youngling
Jedi Youngling

Back to top Go down

Sequel Trilogy: Box Office and Awards Discussion Empty Re: Sequel Trilogy: Box Office and Awards Discussion

Post by Anakin Skywalker Tue 12 Dec 2017, 2:20 pm

LadyHa wrote:
This seemed backwards to me too, but I looked into this and apparently there are no rules about who is a lead vs a supporting.  I have seen several people speculate that Adam's chances of being nominated are much higher in the supporting category.  It kind of makes sense for Disney to play this game - awards for "lead" actors are usually older, well established veterans . I believe that this is tangentially related to the annoying trend of how the Oscars love young, pretty women for Lead Actress awards and old family favorites ("silver foxes") for Lead Actor. ( Here's a Washington Post article about age and gender differences in Academy Awards)
@LadyHa

agree that he has more chance on that category and I think only he has real chances from cast, I love mark and daisy but I can't imagine them in oscar nominations on main category of world's main award...
I think Adam has chances, with his later movies (his career is becoming more and more impressive) and his acting style I think he kind of fits Oscar's taste... but not Daisy, when it's her first real movie and Oscar loves newcomers only when they are from 3rd world and not white, or something like it, let's be honest :/
and they may love to honor some legend stars, but I don't think they will nominate Mark on main category...

but this is other subject, what is unfair is that now all OT fanboys are more confident that Luke is main character... these people doesn't want to understand that new trilogy is about new generation... even Mark said it, but fans don't want to accept it, and this new list isn't helping
Anakin Skywalker
Anakin Skywalker
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by nemapasara Tue 12 Dec 2017, 2:59 pm

https://twitter.com/briantruitt/status/940629234774691840

This guy is fully on board with Adam for Best Supporting Actor.
nemapasara
nemapasara
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Men Tue 12 Dec 2017, 7:20 pm

Category fraud: Ah, when Cate Blanchett gets nominated in supporting for playing Bob Dylan in a Bob Dylan biopic.

Kylo Men
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by shii405 Thu 21 Dec 2017, 7:27 pm

LOL, this article is trying to be sarcastic?
https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/12/21/as-the-last-jedi-tops-600m-worldwide-can-star-wars-recover/

So how is the Box Office number doing, really? Do you think TLJ can potentially reach 2 billion WW just like TFA?
shii405
shii405
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 Fri 22 Dec 2017, 4:35 am

I tend to agree regarding the chances for award nominations. My impression is that you get an oscar either in being really good in one particular thing (i.e. Jean Dujardin as a silent film actor in The Artist), or showing an impressive character development (i.e. Natalie Portman becoming mad in Black Swan) or portraying a complex multidimensional character (i.e. Heath Ledger as Joker in the Dark Knight rises)

Regarding the performances in TLJ:
- Mark definitely delivers his best performance as Luke Skywalker but I don't think it's enough to get an academy award nomination. And if it is, I don't think the performance would be enough to get an oscar, escially in the category leadinf
-Daisy also delivers a good performance but I wouldn't describe it as oscar-worthy because IMO she is sometimes irregular. She has great acting in many scenes but she isn't at her best in many others. Although I wouldn't describe her acting as bad in any scene, there are some scenes in which the way she delivers lines sounds a little awkward to me, i.e. when she makes her speech about the Resistance to Luke or the way she shoots at Kylo "Murderous snake! You've lost! I found Skywalker!".
- IMO Adam has all his chances to get a nomination and after all why not the oscar because let's remember that Heath Ledger got it for a blockbuster like The Dark Knight rises. Wonderful portrayal of a complex multidimensional character? Check! When I see Adam on screen, I don't see him at all: I completely see Kylo Ren. And I speak as someone who didn't know Adam before Star Wars and who doesn't consider him as my cup of tea. But each shot of his acting in TLJ is fascinating: the voice, the body-language, the micro-expression, the emotions (sadness, anger, softness, etc...). No wonder that both J.J. and Rian have a thing for him. So let's cross fingers!
reylo1992
reylo1992
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen Fri 22 Dec 2017, 7:36 am

Anakin Skywalker wrote:
LadyHa wrote:
@LadyHa

agree that he has more chance on that category and I think only he has real chances from cast, I love mark and daisy but I can't imagine them in oscar nominations on main category of world's main award...
I think Adam has chances, with his later movies (his career is becoming more and more impressive) and his acting style I think he kind of fits Oscar's taste... but not Daisy, when it's her first real movie and Oscar loves newcomers only when they are from 3rd world and not white, or something like it, let's be honest :/
and they may love to honor some legend stars, but I don't think they will nominate Mark on main category...

but this is other subject, what is unfair is that now all OT fanboys are more confident that Luke is main character... these people doesn't want to understand that new trilogy is about new generation... even Mark said it, but fans don't want to accept it, and this new list isn't helping
@Anakin Skywalker

Adam will sooner or later gets a nomnation for an Oscar. Paterson, Silence, SW and many more will established him on the map and he's such a versatile actor capable for incrediblev depth and range. Honestly, he's rising to be my favourite actor. He's unlike typical Hollywood actor pretty boy style. Awkward, quiet, thoughtful and just a really smart person and he has that aura about him, he's handsome but in a very different way. My God that voice.
DarthRen
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism Fri 22 Dec 2017, 12:53 pm

Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen Fri 22 Dec 2017, 12:59 pm

Pretty clear it won't make the money like TFA did, hype was far bigger and the excitement but I think 1.5bn could be attacked if we're lucky.
DarthRen
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen Tue 26 Dec 2017, 3:05 am

DarthRen
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Atenais Tue 26 Dec 2017, 6:07 am

@DarthRen

Only when I started to frequent this forum I realize the online war between fans, and after reading some posts I was really worried about the performance of the movie. I don't know if the Reylo thing affected the perception of the audience, looks more like people disliked having their mystery boxes burned down.

What do you think? What displeased people about the movie, Reylo or the mystery box?
Atenais
Atenais
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

https://parthenoninruins.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Geralt_Riv Tue 26 Dec 2017, 6:12 am

Atenais wrote:
@DarthRen

Only when I started to frequent this forum I realize the online war between fans, and after reading some posts I was really worried about the performance of the movie. I don't know if the Reylo thing affected the perception of the audience, looks more like people disliked having their mystery boxes burned down.

What do you think? What displeased people about the movie, Reylo or the mystery box?
@Atenais

I personally think that most of the backlash is because of Luke.
Geralt_Riv
Geralt_Riv
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen Tue 26 Dec 2017, 6:16 am

Atenais wrote:
@DarthRen

@Atenais

Movie is doing well, it will not be TFA level no movie will be maybe apart from the Avengers. TFA was one-off. TLJ can attack 1.3bn at this rate worldwide but backlash was over no mystery solved, Luke.

I wonder if the movie box office will affect Ep IX.
DarthRen
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Atenais Tue 26 Dec 2017, 6:45 am

DarthRen wrote:
Atenais wrote:
@DarthRen

@Atenais

Movie is doing well, it will not be TFA level no movie will be maybe apart from the Avengers. TFA was one-off. TLJ can attack 1.3bn at this rate worldwide but backlash was over no mystery solved, Luke.

@DarthRen

I ask myself the same and, worst, I ask myself if the box office of TLJ will affect the future storyline. We can't be naive to think they would not change things to get a better response from audience. Such a pitty, TLJ was such a brave movie, I loved it since the beginning, despite people complaining about the movie everywhere (even amongst Reylo fans). Sad Sad Sad
Atenais
Atenais
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase Tue 26 Dec 2017, 6:50 am

Atenais wrote:
@DarthRen

@Atenais

The fanboys were pissed because of Luke. They had no time to worry about Reylo. Especially the GA seems to love the idea of a heroine/villain romance. And since the script of Ep IX is nearly finished and they have no time for rewrites, I don't think the "backlash" will affect Ep IX. There is no need to worry. I still remember how some of us freaked out because of the TLJ rewrites. Some assumed it was because of the antis who hated the idea of Reylo (which obviously wasnt a mainstream idea back then). Now, look how that turned out Wink.

Apart from this, and maybe I'm in denial, but after all that happened, why do I have a gut feeling that this was all planned and there is no real "plotgate". Well, at least there is obviously a red thread, isn't it?
EchoBase
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Atenais Tue 26 Dec 2017, 7:09 am

EchoBase wrote:
Atenais wrote:
@DarthRen

@Atenais

The fanboys were pissed because of Luke. They had no time to worry about Reylo. Especially the GA seems to love the idea of a heroine/villain romance. And since the script of Ep IX is nearly finished and they have no time for rewrites, I don't think the "backlash" will affect Ep IX. There is no need to worry. I still remember how some of us freaked out because of the TLJ rewrites. Some assumed it was because of the antis who hated the idea of Reylo (which obviously wasnt a mainstream idea back then). Now, look how that turned out Wink.

Apart from this, and maybe I'm in denial, but after all that happened, why do I have a gut feeling that this was all planned and there is no real "plotgate". Well, at least there is obviously a red thread, isn't it?
@EchoBase

The storyline, till now, makes sense to me. I don't know why people are so pissed about Rey being a nobody and Snoke being an useless villain. If the main plot is about Kylo and Rey (and I'm not talking about them romantically, but as the new characters of the trilogy), why shouldn't they use Snoke as part of their plot? Luke... Why are people complaining about Luke? At last his character feels real and I found his arc beautiful.

Anyway, I wish I had your positivity. I really believe they can change the storyline if they think they can get more money taking another path.
Atenais
Atenais
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen Tue 26 Dec 2017, 7:12 am

Atenais wrote:
DarthRen wrote:
Atenais wrote:
@DarthRen

@Atenais

@DarthRen

I ask myself the same and, worst, I ask myself if the box office of TLJ will affect the future storyline. We can't be naive to think they would not change things to get a better response from audience. Such a pitty, TLJ was such a brave movie, I loved it since the beginning, despite people complaining about the movie everywhere (even amongst Reylo fans). Sad Sad Sad
@Atenais

The movie itself brought out of our comfort zones and made us think pretty deeply. I think Rian overestimated the audience and their understanding of ambiguity and nuance. JJ already pitched the idea to Bob Iger, so we'll see where it goes.

EchoBase wrote:
Atenais wrote:
@DarthRen

@Atenais

@EchoBase

JJ recently pitched and delivered the script to Disney heads including Bob Iger. I think theys'll upon the box office of TLJ to see where it should go, sure they have contingency plans and got a time to re-write some smaller things. We got 6 months till principal photography for Ep IX. Money is the key factor for Disney here but JJ wil have to go a little bizt back to the original, to make it a bit more nostalgic too given "backlash" for TLJ. I know few fans that are like Atenais worried about this.
DarthRen
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Post by EchoBase Tue 26 Dec 2017, 7:42 am

Atenais wrote:
EchoBase wrote:
Atenais wrote:
@DarthRen

@Atenais

@EchoBase

The storyline, till now, makes sense to me. I don't know why people are so pissed about Rey being a nobody and Snoke being an useless villain. If the main plot is about Kylo and Rey (and I'm not talking about them romantically, but as the new characters of the trilogy), why shouldn't they use Snoke as part of their plot? Luke... Why are people complaining about Luke? At last his character feels real and I found his arc beautiful.

Anyway, I wish I had your positivity. I really believe they can change the storyline if they think they can get more money taking another path.
@Atenais

I am rather a pessimist person, but since all those worries lead to nowhere so far, I just don’t want to worry anymore.
You can’t please everyone. The classical fanboys have their OT, the ST also appeals to a new audience, to a new generation which shouldn’t be underestimated. Maybe JJ will go safe, sure. But that doesn’t mean that Reylo won’t happen. I’m sure Ep 9 will be less nuanced than TLJ, but no way they will make a fanboy feast out of it with Luke returning from the death and being the main hero.

JJ created the dynamics between those two. No way, they will waste this intense chemistry which was praised
by nearly everyone, including those who didn’t like TLJ at all.
EchoBase
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Atenais Tue 26 Dec 2017, 7:46 am

RosiePancake wrote:
Atenais wrote:
EchoBase wrote:
Atenais wrote:
@DarthRen

@Atenais

@EchoBase

@Atenais

Which "another path" you are talking about? Reylo has been received praises from many sides, including GA, critics, even neckbeard fanboys. They have no problem with Reylo whatsoever and most of them can easily admit that Reylo is the best part and the savior of TLJ without any complain.Very Happy
The criticism is mostly aiming at Luke and the other weak, meaningless and underdeveloped subplots such as Canto Bight, the movie's pacing, etc..
About Luke, sadly we can't do anything at this point because Luke's character arc is completed in TLJ. Maybe they will change something in EP9 to calm Luke's fanboys, such as Snoke used his ancient darkside power to influence Luke, and it wasn't completely Luke's fault when he tried to murder Ben, who knows?
@RosiePancake

I'm talking about redempetion, about Kylo being the ultimate bad guy. Since people don't understand much nuance, maybe they will follow a more traditional path.

I don't know why people wants Luke to be perfect, none jedi before him was. The jedi council in its brightest time let a Sith take control of the galaxy. lol

EchoBase wrote:@Atenais

I am rather a pessimist person, but since all those worries lead to nowhere so far, I just don’t want to worry anymore.
You can’t please everyone. The classical fanboys have their OT, the ST also appeals to a new audience, to a new generation which shouldn’t be underestimated. Maybe JJ will go safe, sure. But that doesn’t mean that Reylo won’t happen. I’m sure Ep 9 will be less nuanced than TLJ, but no way they will make a fanboy feast out of it with Luke returning from the death and being the main hero.

JJ created the dynamics between those two. No way, they will waste this intense chemistry which was praised
by nearly everyone, including those who didn’t like TLJ at all.
@EchoBase

I understand your point and I'm not trying to dump the mood. I'm just talking about my worries of TLJ box office results affecting the next movie in a box office thread.

Last edited by Atenais on Tue 26 Dec 2017, 8:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Atenais
Atenais
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by DarthRen Tue 26 Dec 2017, 7:48 am

I am more curious how will Rian approach his new trilogy, if this will have any sort of effect on him. Obviously, not everyone is a fan of ambiguity and such a different approch to Star Wars movies.
DarthRen
DarthRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by EchoBase Tue 26 Dec 2017, 7:55 am

Atenais wrote:
RosiePancake wrote:
Atenais wrote:
EchoBase wrote:
Atenais wrote:
@DarthRen

@Atenais

@EchoBase

@Atenais

Which "another path" you are talking about? Reylo has been received praises from many sides, including GA, critics, even neckbeard fanboys. They have no problem with Reylo whatsoever and most of them can easily admit that Reylo is the best part and the savior of TLJ without any complain.Very Happy
The criticism is mostly aiming at Luke and the other weak, meaningless and underdeveloped subplots such as Canto Bight, the movie's pacing, etc..
About Luke, sadly we can't do anything at this point because Luke's character arc is completed in TLJ. Maybe they will change something in EP9 to calm Luke's fanboys, such as Snoke used his ancient darkside power to influence Luke, and it wasn't completely Luke's fault when he tried to murder Ben, who knows?
@RosiePancake

I'm talking about redempetion, about Kylo being the ultimate bad guy. Since people don't understand much nuance, maybe they will follow a more traditional path.

I don't know why people wants Luke to be perfect, none jedi before him was. The jedi council in its brightest time let a Sith take control of the galaxy. lol
@Atenais

Sequel Trilogy: Box Office and Awards Discussion B8b73610

Wink
EchoBase
EchoBase
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Atenais Tue 26 Dec 2017, 8:07 am

DarthRen wrote:I am more curious how will Rian approach his new trilogy, if this will have any sort of effect on him. Obviously, not everyone is a fan of ambiguity and such a different approch to Star Wars movies.
@DarthRen

Yes, me too. Looks like people still prefer plain plots.
Atenais
Atenais
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next