Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations

+60
kroi
RosiePancake
snufkin
ZioRen
Teo oswald
Night Huntress
BenRey
Forsythia
Ramblingrose
nana7marie
nickandnora
Saracene
Acritiqua
giaciak2
orangedelamer
Lily Snape
ISeeAnIsland
Rei of Sunshine
tukicarreno
Irina de France
Starliteprism
12 Parsnips
CienaRee
Mana
thescavenger
SoloSideCousin
DeeBee
IoJovi
Moonlight13
FrolickingFizzgig
whisperingwillow
AhsokaTano
Piper Maru
Xylo Ren
Dar-ren19
lauvamp
cherrylipstick
teltaru
MyOnlyHope
Birdwoman
Riri
rawpowah
rey09
special_cases
Darth_Awakened
MrsWindu
Kessel
Cowgirlsamurai
unicorn
Let The Past Die
KyleWren
bashfulblueeyes3
californiagirl
Kylo Rey
cirelle
SkyStar
Gemlake
Rimfaxe96
vaderito
SheLitAFire
64 posters

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 38 Empty Re: The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations

Post by Dar-ren19 Fri 09 Mar 2018, 11:46 am

Teo oswald wrote:
“His gaze was hungry and knowing.”
my eyes still work, I knew what that look meant mhmh Cool Cool
@"Teo Oswald” - where/which part is that from? Very Happy

Dar-ren19
Dar-ren19
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 38 Empty Re: The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations

Post by ZioRen Fri 09 Mar 2018, 11:48 am

Night Huntress wrote:Don't know if anyone already brought that up- but Rey couldn't read what's in the old Jedi books

Rey was so entranced by the books that she barely noticed that Luke had finally acknowledged her.
“I know this place,” she said. “This is a library.” Luke stepped in front of her and took one of the books off its shelf.
She couldn’t read the ancient runes inside, but she could feel their power.

Could be interesting for IX - who could she possibly turn to for help reading them I wonder Razz
@Night Huntress

This is something that comes up in many, many post-TLJ Reylo fics. Man we're good!
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by nana7marie Fri 09 Mar 2018, 12:18 pm

special_cases wrote:Three people were thinking about killing Kylo\Ben in his sleep: Luke, Rey and Hux.
@special_cases
With Rey’s case, though, it’s slightly different - both Luke and Hux actually wanted to kill him whereas Rey didn’t. When the first leaks came out and I heard about this scene, I was confused - why would Rey consider this at all if:
a) she’s a good and compassionate person - she’s already spared Kylo once;
b) she knows about Luke’s attempt to murder Ben in his sleep;
c) she’s developed an emotional connection with him?
But now that I’ve read the whole scene, I already know she never intended to do this, as a matter of fact she never wanted to. Instead, it’s more like she noticed he’s unconscious and couldn’t defend himself and hence she acknowledged it’d be easy to kill him in this situation. Also explains why Kylo didn’t wake up with Rey looking at him, but he did when Luke ignited his lightsaber and then when Hux took out his blaster.

Dar-ren19 wrote:
Riri wrote:Looks like the Resistance know Kylo Ren is related to Luke and Leia.

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 38 Img_6211
@Riri

It seems a direct reference to Luke and Kylo.... that quote. That's a pretty interesting find. So they all know... hmm.
@Dar-ren19
@Riri
I think it’s just a mistake - nothing in any of the movies support this. Like, wouldn’t they say something, or at least give Leia a sad and understanding look after Han’s death when the Falcon came back from Starkiller Base and now with Luke heading off to meet Kylo?

Night Huntress wrote:Don't know if anyone already brought that up- but Rey couldn't read what's in the old Jedi books

Rey was so entranced by the books that she barely noticed that Luke had finally acknowledged her.
“I know this place,” she said. “This is a library.” Luke stepped in front of her and took one of the books off its shelf.

Could be interesting for IX - who could she possibly turn to for help reading them I wonder Razz
@Night Huntress
Ohhh, yesss, who could it be? Twisted Evil I just hope that it won’t be Maz, or if Rey does indeed ask her for help, she’ll say that she can’t read them, but there is someone who can.Twisted Evil
nana7marie
nana7marie
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by ZioRen Fri 09 Mar 2018, 12:42 pm

Is this really among Rey and Kylo's flirty banter over the lightsaber when she arrives on the Supremacy because....wow. It's hot in here. Laughing

“Rey was tempted to tell him to come and get it…and to remind him that she’d driven him to his knees at Starkiller Base…”
ZioRen
ZioRen
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by cherrylipstick Fri 09 Mar 2018, 1:00 pm

@Night Huntress

Ohohoh  Twisted Evil
This is really interesting, I wonder who could ever help her...  Winks
It's fun because I just read something similar in a fic, we are predicting everything  Lolilol

ZioRen wrote:Is this really among Rey and Kylo's flirty banter over the lightsaber when she arrives on the Supremacy because....wow. It's hot in here.  Laughing

“Rey was tempted to tell him to come and get it…and to remind him that she’d driven him to his knees at Starkiller Base…”
@ZioRen

Well they are clearly flirting and she's really sassy, I love her!  Claps
cherrylipstick
cherrylipstick

https://cherrylipstick85.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsWindu Fri 09 Mar 2018, 1:43 pm

I hope you can make out the review ‘Reylo Fan based novel’ oh how I chuckled. I’m glad he’s taking it in his stride

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 38 8ae48e10
The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 38 0caf4810
MrsWindu
MrsWindu
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress Fri 09 Mar 2018, 1:45 pm

MrsWindu wrote:I hope you can make out the review ‘Reylo Fan based novel’ oh how I chuckled. I’m glad he’s taking it in his stride

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 38 8ae48e10
The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 38 0caf4810
@MrsWindu

Oh, good you remind me...I have to rate - give it a full 5 Stars Twisted Evil
Night Huntress
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Dar-ren19 Fri 09 Mar 2018, 3:10 pm

nana7marie wrote:

@Night Huntress
Ohhh, yesss, who could it be? Twisted Evil I just hope that it won’t be Maz, or if Rey does indeed ask her for help, she’ll say that she can’t read them, but there is someone who can.Twisted Evil
@nana7marie

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 38 Irony_10
Dar-ren19
Dar-ren19
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by nana7marie Fri 09 Mar 2018, 3:19 pm

@Dar-ren19 ROFL
And, oh, his teddy bear! lol!
nana7marie
nana7marie
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Dar-ren19 Fri 09 Mar 2018, 3:35 pm

nana7marie wrote:@Dar-ren19 ROFL
And, oh, his teddy bear! lol!
@nana7marie

Laughing flower

Oh, the porg's eating her meager lunch while Kylo's feasting on succulent red grapes and lying on satin sheets Very Happy
Dar-ren19
Dar-ren19
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Let The Past Die Fri 09 Mar 2018, 3:38 pm

Dar-ren19 wrote:
Teo oswald wrote:
my eyes still work, I knew what that look meant mhmh  Cool Cool

@Dar-ren19

Its from the 3rd force bond (shirtless scene)

But there was no way the Force could have told him that, shown him that. That was right, wasn’t it? “They did,” Kylo said. “But still you can’t stop needing them. It’s your greatest weakness. You look for them everywhere—in Han Solo, now in Skywalker.” His gaze was hungry—and knowing. “Did he tell you what happened that night?” Kylo asked. “Yes,” Rey said, knowing Kylo could see that wasn’t true. “No,” he said.  

I have mixed feelings about this sentence, it seems an odd phrase to put in between him telling her what her greatest weakness is (which I think is also a true reflection of his true feelings about it being his greatest weakness too) then asking her if Luke had told her about what happened.

Its the sort of sentence you'd expect from a romance novel, when the male character or female for that matter, when they see someone they are attracted too. Perhaps someone can explain the phrase in its setting, I may be missing something obvious.

I'm not going to knock it though, I'll take what I can lol!  there are 'romance'  quotes scattered throughout the novel, perhaps not used in the normal sense. I think Jason Fry had fun with how he described certain scenes, for the most part the average  GA reader would read it and not think anything   but those with a Reylo eye or those who are used to reading romance novels can read those phrases in a completely different way - we see what you did there Jason Laughing
Let The Past Die
Let The Past Die
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by Dar-ren19 Fri 09 Mar 2018, 5:28 pm

Let The Past Die wrote:
Dar-ren19 wrote:
Teo oswald wrote:
my eyes still work, I knew what that look meant mhmh  Cool Cool

@Dar-ren19

Its from the 3rd force bond (shirtless scene)

But there was no way the Force could have told him that, shown him that. That was right, wasn’t it? “They did,” Kylo said. “But still you can’t stop needing them. It’s your greatest weakness. You look for them everywhere—in Han Solo, now in Skywalker.” His gaze was hungry—and knowing. “Did he tell you what happened that night?” Kylo asked. “Yes,” Rey said, knowing Kylo could see that wasn’t true. “No,” he said.  

I have mixed feelings about this sentence, it seems an odd phrase to put in between him telling her what her greatest weakness is (which I think is also a true reflection of his true feelings about it being his greatest weakness too) then asking her if Luke had told her about what happened.

Its the sort of sentence you'd expect from a romance novel, when the male character or female for that matter, when they see someone they are attracted too. Perhaps someone can explain the phrase in its setting, I may be missing something obvious.

I'm not going to knock it though, I'll take what I can lol!  there are 'romance'  quotes scattered throughout the novel, perhaps not used in the normal sense. I think Jason Fry had fun with how he described certain scenes, for the most part the average  GA reader would read it and not think anything   but those with a Reylo eye or those who are used to reading romance novels can read those phrases in a completely different way - we see what you did there Jason Laughing

Thanks for this @Let The Past Die ...

Because of the snowstorm, I couldn't get to the B&N and just downloaded the kindle book from amazon... reading it now and see what you mean. To tell the truth (and I'm on p 246 now), Fry used certain unfortunate phrases and words too often, "hungry" being one of them, and it kind of detracts from the overall feel.

Reading...

I like this part... written plainly in B&W. "He's a Skywalker". No ifs, ands, or buts.

"Luke Skywalker looks down at his nephew Ben Solo—no longer a boy but not yet a man. He has come into his chambers, at night, and now stands over him. The Jedi Master’s eyes are closed. The Force is aboil with danger. Worry shadows Luke’s face as he extends his hand, reaching out with the Force—reaching into the sleeping Ben’s mind. The boy remains still, his face untroubled. And Luke’s eyes remain shut. But he can see: fire, and ruin, and the sightless eyes of the dead. And he can hear: screams, and the howl of lightsabers, and the roar of explosions. Darkness—expanding from this slim, dark-haired boy to shroud everything—and the cacophony of terror that will accompany it. Luke draws his hand back, as if burned. The Force around Ben has always been shot through with veins of darkness, but what he’s seen is beyond anything he’d feared to find. Luke removes his lightsaber from his belt and ignites the blade, his eyes grave. But then he looks at Ben and the brief, almost unwilling thought is gone. He cannot bring his lightsaber down on his sister’s son while he sleeps. And immediately Luke knows it is too late—he has already failed his student. Because Ben’s eyes are open—frightened but aware. The boy’s powers with the Force are already immense, and still growing. And he is a Skywalker. He knows what Luke thought. He knows what Luke saw. He knows what will be. Desperate, Ben’s hand reaches out, not toward Luke but beyond him, to the lightsaber he has constructed. Willing it into his hand, its blue blade a killing blow aimed at his Master. Luke’s own blade meets Ben’s and the locked lightsabers buzz and spark. Then Ben reaches up toward the ceiling with his free hand, compelling the stones to come crashing down on Luke’s head.

Fry, Jason. The Last Jedi: Expanded Edition (Star Wars) (p. 183). Random House Publishing Group. Kindle Edition.
Dar-ren19
Dar-ren19
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Riri Sat 10 Mar 2018, 12:04 am

Interesting!

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 38 Img_6212

Riri
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Sat 10 Mar 2018, 12:06 am

Riri wrote:Interesting!

@Riri

Interesting quote. I wonder if Jason actually has insider knowledge of IX and didn’t want to spoil, or if he truly doesn’t know and therefore didn’t want to risk writing anything that might conflict with the story direction. Neat tweet either way!

IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin Sat 10 Mar 2018, 12:44 am

IoJovi wrote:

@Riri

Interesting quote. I wonder if Jason actually has insider knowledge of IX and didn’t want to spoil, or if he truly doesn’t know and therefore didn’t want to risk writing anything that might conflict with the story direction. Neat tweet either way!

@IoJovi

It may have been a situation like the canon authors spoke about at Dragoncon. In other words, they would never tell him what to write, but when he turned something in, they kept saying over and over "No, you can't do that."

Though he has said this "can't step on Episode IX's toes" (particularly with regards to Kylo/Ben), so I am starting to think he has a few hints about where it is going, either from something Rian mentioned or from some commonalities in the stuff he wrote that LF rejected.
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Sat 10 Mar 2018, 12:57 am

SoloSideCousin wrote:
IoJovi wrote:

@Riri

@IoJovi

It may have been a situation like the canon authors spoke about at Dragoncon. In other words, they would never tell him what to write, but when he turned something in, they kept saying over and over "No, you can't do that."

Though he has said this "can't step on Episode IX's toes" (particularly with regards to Kylo/Ben), so I am starting to think he has a few hints about where it is going, either from something Rian mentioned or from some commonalities in the stuff he wrote that LF rejected.
@SoloSideCousin

I’m reading it now. I know a lot of us had low expectations such as ideas that Fry would ship Rey with everyone, like the case with the TFA novel, or a bunch of stuff would conflict with the film. That’s not the case at all, and my hopes have been greatly exceeded. A lot of care and planning went into this one. Reylo hints as well as foreshadowing are consistent throughout the book, and Rose craps on FinnRey several time, calling him a puppy who would attach himself to the first person he sees. Things are very consistent. I wouldn’t doubt if Jason was told a little about IX’s direction, given the Reylo foreshadowing in this book. Heck, even that gawd awful Rey/Poe meeting at the end was completely omitted! Laughing
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress Sat 10 Mar 2018, 12:58 am

@Riri

I personally think it's a very good sign they can't give aways Kylo's feelings during the hand touching scene just as Rey's in their last force bond.
That means their feelings are very important and play a big part in IX.

Night Huntress
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth_Awakened Sat 10 Mar 2018, 2:34 am

@Riri

I think we all know what Kylo thoughts were.

Putting it into perspective with TFA and from the first scene Rey and Kylo have met - it's kinda obvious he was falling for her, despite himself.
I'am speaking for myself but I'am dead sure now that Reylo is a main thing of this trilogy (in the same sense that Luke and Vader son-father relationship was in the OT).
The fact is that they are trying hard to keep it ambiguous because of the surprise effect and all that jazz (no matter how many of us find it frustrating).

I haven't had a chance to read the both novels yet, but from what I'am reading here - it's almost clear where this story is going.
Sad puppy eyes Kylo at the end of TLJ said it all for me.

No anger, no fear, no Sith yellow eyes (LOL) just sadness and regret.
Darth_Awakened
Darth_Awakened
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Riri Sat 10 Mar 2018, 5:02 am

Now that i've read the novel, i actually don't see Rose being jelous? In fact this analysis on tumblr is perfect:

"Rose is not “jealous” of Rey. She just lost her sister. More than ever, she wants to fight back against the First Order for taking Paige away from her.
When she sees that Finn would rather go save a girl than stay and fight, she’s confused. At first she blames him for abandoning the cause, then she understands he really just wants to save Rey. And she then becomes even more confused. Because if anyone needs saving right then, it’s the Resistance. Rey was far from danger in her mind. And Finn was supposed to be this great hero- why would he leave to save someone who so obviously doesn’t need saving?
Because he’s lost. He doesn’t know who he is without Rey. This point is driven home by Rose in the book. She wants him to find his own path.
And she helps him do that. It doesn’t make Finn and Rey’s relationship less important, and it certainly doesn’t make Rose a bad person.
Rose couldn’t help it if she fell in love with him along the way. "

TLDR: Rose is not romantically jealous of Rey, but rather disappointed and confused that Finn is prioritizing this girl [that he legit met a week ago] over the lives of hundreds of people and the survival of the resistance itself.

Can you believe the antis are now saying Rose is abusive to Finn because she tasered him (she was doing her job) forgetting Rey beat him up with her staff the moment she met him...

Riri
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Night Huntress Sat 10 Mar 2018, 6:06 am

@Riri

THANK YOU! That was my perception of Rose as well! (mentioned it already earlier in the thread)
I was more annoyed with Finn... it's like his whole life is just about Rey now- did he forgot that he was about to abandon her in TFA???
Sure he goes back to save her on SKB but Rey isn't in immediate danger in TLJ... Rey rescued him after she kicked Kylo's butt. But who cared for him and nursed him back to health? This resistance! He is ungrateful and selfish and deserved it that Rose stunned him!
I wonder what Rey would've thought about his choice to leave those people behind??? I'm sure she would've been very disappointed in him.
The irony is he wants to leave to keep Rey save - and Rey shipped herself right to the enemy... I can't help but find that funny Laughing

Last edited by Night Huntress on Sat 10 Mar 2018, 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Night Huntress
Night Huntress
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Riri Sat 10 Mar 2018, 6:31 am

@Night Huntress

IKR! Honestly even after TFA and in TLJ i was a little bit uncomfortable with Finns possessiveness/attachment to Rey, someone he knew for like a day? I mean antis talk of unhealthy relationships and yet that characteristic goes right over them! In fact, the novel reminded me of something Boyega said when he dismissed Finnrey in an interview, he said Finn doesn't even know what hes doing in TFA, he literally just left the FO and is hanging on to the first person whose nice to him. The TLJ novel is great because Rose pushes him to form his own path. I love their rat-at-tat exchanges, it really enriched their relationship.

Whenever people talk of FinnRey i just show them this gif, it screams familial relationship!

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 38 Img_6210

Riri
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Kylo Rey Sat 10 Mar 2018, 6:53 am

IoJovi wrote:

@Riri

Interesting quote. I wonder if Jason actually has insider knowledge of IX and didn’t want to spoil, or if he truly doesn’t know and therefore didn’t want to risk writing anything that might conflict with the story direction.  Neat tweet either way!

@IoJovi

@SoloSideCousin He also said the same thing with regards to us wanting to know more about Kylo's past but that it might step on IX's storytelling. Maybe they are going to explore it then? Could be reaching though. I mean it's interesting because they told Claudia Gray to take a lot of Ben Solo stuff out of Bloodline but that could be because they're saving it for other book/comics/animated show.
Kylo Rey
Kylo Rey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by bashfulblueeyes3 Sat 10 Mar 2018, 9:14 am

Riri wrote:Now that i've read the novel, i actually don't see Rose being jelous? In fact this analysis on tumblr is perfect:

"Rose is not “jealous” of Rey. She just lost her sister. More than ever, she wants to fight back against the First Order for taking Paige away from her.
When she sees that Finn would rather go save a girl than stay and fight, she’s confused. At first she blames him for abandoning the cause, then she understands he really just wants to save Rey. And she then becomes even more confused. Because if anyone needs saving right then, it’s the Resistance. Rey was far from danger in her mind. And Finn was supposed to be this great hero- why would he leave to save someone who so obviously doesn’t need saving?
Because he’s lost. He doesn’t know who he is without Rey. This point is driven home by Rose in the book. She wants him to find his own path.
And she helps him do that. It doesn’t make Finn and Rey’s relationship less important, and it certainly doesn’t make Rose a bad person.

TLDR: Rose is not romantically jealous of Rey, but rather disappointed and confused that Finn is prioritizing this girl [that he legit met a week ago] over the lives of hundreds of people and the survival of the resistance itself.

Can you believe the antis are now saying Rose is abusive to Finn because she tasered him (she was doing her job) forgetting Rey beat him up with her staff the moment she met him...
@Riri

That was my perception as well. I can understand why people would read it as jealously though. I think when someone has a certain bias, they can see anything into anything a certain way. I think the whole arc of Finn was that he realized that it was not just about himself and Rey, but the whole galaxy was at stake. He finally understood that at the end when it picked a side and was willing to sacrifice himself for his cause.

bashfulblueeyes3
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by nickandnora Sat 10 Mar 2018, 9:44 am

bashfulblueeyes3 wrote:
Riri wrote:Now that i've read the novel, i actually don't see Rose being jelous? In fact this analysis on tumblr is perfect:

@Riri

That was my perception as well. I can understand why people would read it as jealously though.  I think when someone has a certain bias, they can see anything into anything a certain way.  I think the whole arc of Finn was that he realized that it was not just about himself and Rey, but the whole galaxy was at stake.  He finally understood that at the end when it picked a side and was willing to sacrifice himself for his cause.  

Ahh, thank you for this perspective. Having not read the book, I had a knee-jerk reaction to these passages when I saw them out of context. I'm so against Rey/Rose jealousy triangle it's not even funny.

Good perspective on Finn as well. You know, when J.J. apparently told John that he was "the hero" of the trilogy, I don't think that was wrong. In the end, I'm sure we'll be able to see a very clearly defined hero's journey arc. That doesn't make Rey/Ben any less the main characters exactly (or either of them any less likely to do heroic things) but I do think they're on a different story arc, and all of us who have picked out the Jane Eyre/P&P thing probably understand how that story arc is different from Finn's.

The one thing I constantly have in the back of my mind when it comes to Rey/Finn's dynamic is that J.J. said that as late as when they were filming they *still* hadn't figured out how Rey/Finn's interactions should play out. They eventually settled on that kind of flirty beginning because it was cute and it worked onscreen, but that tells me that, while these two will have an important relationship going forward, it's not a romance. With a romance, you know what you're going for from the very first interaction (see: Rey and Kylo).

nickandnora
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Riri Sat 10 Mar 2018, 9:54 am

@nickandnora

I cant find the quote but did JJ not say something like - he based their relationship on their real friendship? Like he tried to do the adversarial meeting between them but that wasn't working out because of their RL friendship or something.

Riri
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next