Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations

+31
rey09
MaddieDove
vaderito
Starliteprism
nana7marie
MrsWindu
giaciak2
rawpowah
Kylo Rey
EchoBase
AhsokaTano
tippytoo
LadyHa
Tex
ISeeAnIsland
SkyStar
lauvamp
Apriljandy
Night Huntress
snufkin
nickandnora
ZioRen
special_cases
Riri
californiagirl
Moonlight13
Teo oswald
twilekempire
Dar-ren19
IoJovi
SoloSideCousin
35 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 4 Empty Re: The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations

Post by giaciak2 Wed 27 Jun 2018, 5:16 am

@AhsokaTano FANTASTIC !!!! Thanks so much.
I love you I love you I love you
I found it also on Amazon Italy, here it will be released on July 10th.
Now it's in my cart.

Thank you guys !!!!!
Do you know that I adore you?
giaciak2
giaciak2
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/shaara-2

Back to top Go down

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 4 Empty Re: The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations

Post by nana7marie Wed 27 Jun 2018, 11:51 am

@AhsokaTano I didn’t plan to buy the Shakespearean novelisations cos I considered them just fun collectibles but when I read TLJ excerpts, I found them so beautiful that now I can’t resist! And these will be the only SW novelisations that I actually want to have in paper Very Happy .
nana7marie
nana7marie
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyStar Wed 27 Jun 2018, 11:53 am

Kylo Rey wrote:
@EchoBase

Leia: "I sense within my son, my boy, my Ben....O son, hear me - thy mother calls to thee."

Kylo: "Her sorrow and her love in equal measure...Can I set fire upon the woman who did give me life, did raise me as a child?... I shall not do it, cannot. Thus, I fail."  Cry  Cry

First Reylo ForceBond

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 4 Img_0751The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 4 Img_0752
@Kylo Rey

That’s so sad and beautiful! *_*
SkyStar
SkyStar
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsWindu Thu 28 Jun 2018, 2:27 pm

I’m sorry I’m now lost as to where all these musings are coming from as Kylo smashes his helmet. Please could someone help as my understanding of this is vague after ‘putrid weak facade’ part

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 4 7187dd10
MrsWindu
MrsWindu
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AhsokaTano Thu 28 Jun 2018, 3:09 pm

@MrsWindu
Wow this is amazing !
Ok I wrote some notes so hopefully this makes sense as was writing some ideas down from the soliloquy and what the images convey .

Kylo is calling on the dark side throughout as he sees himself as weak because the light keeps creeping in . The Way it’s written reminds me of what Rian said about kylo transitioning into a man and seeing what he’s done to Han and the pain he feels and remorse ( which he specifically mentions ) as weakness . He refuses to hide behind the mask any more and is going to be strong and feels to do this he has to give himself to the dark side. ( its reminds me of the whole be a man mentality and men don’t cry and don’t get emotional -which I disagree with any way and why I love Kylo because he does wear his heart on his sleeve). Ok going back to the soliloquy Kylo doesn’t want to feel this pain but is plagued by his conscience ( the spirits he talks about ). He’s trying to fill himself with and call upon the dark side ( images of cruelty,his blood, hell ) to make himself strong but he’s still conflicted . He doesn’t want the light to creep through ( heaven peep through the blanket of the dark - the fact he calls it a blanket suggests he takes refuge in the dark and that it’s comforting for kylo because it stops him confronting his past and who he really is )as he plots and plans his destiny ( ie finishing what his grandfather started - so killing snoke and becoming leader). He doesn’t want his conscience ie the light getting in the way of him giving himself to the dark ( and thus killing the past and fulfilling his destiny ).

Basically Kylo is being Torn apart and conflicted by the light and his remorse for Han’s Death. He’s fighting his conscience ie the light. But he feels in order to fulfill his destiny that he has to fill himself with the dark so that there is no conflict ( obviously he’s thinking of what he’s gonna do ie snoke ). This is great stuff and really hopeful for Ben solo’s redemption because he does have a conscience and this isn’t easy for him and because he feels remorse (Han).
OMG I really cannot wait to read this and see what else we get from kylo’s point of view .This is the main gist I got from it without taking each line apart .
If anyone wants to add anything please do. Smile

Last edited by AhsokaTano on Thu 28 Jun 2018, 3:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
AhsokaTano
AhsokaTano
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rawpowah Thu 28 Jun 2018, 3:09 pm

@MrsWindu The entire monologue is adapted from one of Lady Macbeth's scenes when she invokes evil spirits to help her in killing the king, which she does with her husband. So my guess is the author who wrote the SW adaptation sees Rey and Ben as a heroic version of the main couple in Macbeth, and Snoke as a villainous version of King Duncan. Macbeth kills Duncan and he dispatches the guards with his wife's help, thus becoming King of Scotland. Kylo kills Snoke and dispatches the guards with Rey's help, thus becoming Supreme Leader. Different contexts and characters, but the end result is the same change in leadership.

http://m.sparknotes.com/nfs/macbeth/page_32.html
rawpowah
rawpowah
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AhsokaTano Thu 28 Jun 2018, 3:17 pm

@rawpowah
Interesting! Heroic version of the speech - definitely yeah because kylo/Ben has got a conscience . The writer probably did take Macbeth as inspiration for that speech and whole usurping the king but in this case as you say it’s the opposite of Macbeth . Killing snoke is on the way to putting things right .
This is really hopeful stuff for Ben’s redemption Smile
AhsokaTano
AhsokaTano
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsWindu Thu 28 Jun 2018, 4:02 pm

@AhsokaTano @rawpowah

Thank you both for taking pity on me. I sure hope mentioning his conscience and remorse is eluding to a redemption.

I have it on order but I might need more interpretations from you two. So when is Shakesphere Smut Hut going to leak ?!
MrsWindu
MrsWindu
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by rawpowah Thu 28 Jun 2018, 4:31 pm

@AhsokaTano I'm curious to see how the other Reylo scenes are written and what the inspiration behind them is, but I think it's pretty telling that he's equating Reylo with a famous fictional couple. Of course, I doubt the ST is going to be a tragedy like Macbeth.

And I'm curious to see if the Luke vs. Kylo scene will have references to the Macbeth vs Macduff confrontation. Laughing

rawpowah
rawpowah
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AhsokaTano Thu 28 Jun 2018, 4:35 pm

@MrsWindu @rawpowah
Yeah I wonder if we will get more kylo viewpoints( smut hut , Crait , shirtless kylo , Darcy join me speech ) or any more revelations from the Jedi temple incident .Or more parallels to Macbeth as you suggest @rawpowah With luke and Kylo/Ben . One thing is for sure kylo’s conscience betrays him ( elevator scene with helmet as we’ve just seen and also scene where he’s feels his mother in the force and can’t kill her - - he says in this Shakespeare version that he cannot and shall not ( that’s really important- he’s choosing not to). See post above by @EchoBase which has the force connection between Kylo and his mother.

Only a few days to go till publication. Smile

Ps/ I just want to add that when I first saw the smut Hut in the last Jedi I thought Romeo and Juliet ( where west side story gets its inspiration from - two lovers from opposite sides)with holy palmers kiss ( kissing with their hands ) - this scene :
Romeo:
If I profane with my unworthiest hand
This holy shrine, the gentle fine is this:
My lips, two blushing pilgrims, ready stand
To smooth that rough touch with a tender kiss.

Juliet:
Good pilgrim, you do wrong your hand too much,
Which mannerly devotion shows in this;
For saints have hands that pilgrims' hands do touch,
And palm to palm is holy palmers' kiss.

Romeo:
Have not saints lips, and holy palmers too?

Juliet:
Ay, pilgrim, lips that they must use in prayer.

Romeo:
O, then, dear saint, let lips do what hands do;
They pray, grant thou, lest faith turn to despair.

Juliet:
Saints do not move, though grant for prayers' sake.

Romeo:
Then move not, while my prayer's effect I take.
Thus from my lips, by yours, my sin is purged.

Juliet:
Then have my lips the sin that they have took.

Romeo:
Sin from thy lips? O trespass sweetly urged!
Give me my sin again.

Juliet:
You kiss by the book.
Smile
AhsokaTano
AhsokaTano
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Riri Fri 29 Jun 2018, 2:00 am

Hello there's more! Very beautifully written!

Sounds like they're exchanging wedding vows:
Rey: My hand I do extend to thee in peace.
Kylo: As I do mine in th'hope of partnership. [They reach hands toward each other.]

Shirtless scene: The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 4 Img_7512

Hand touch:

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 4 Img_7513
The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 4 Img_7514

Join me:
The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 4 Img_7515
The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 4 Img_7516

Riri
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by rawpowah Fri 29 Jun 2018, 3:22 am

"How shall I speak to this deshirted man, and hope to focus on the conversation" Laughing Yeah she liked what she saw.

The romance hints are really strong on Kylo's part in the hand scene. When he says "I dare not hope for such an equal”, imo it's like he was waiting and hoping to find someone like her. He sees dark in her. She sees light in him.

The proposal scene: She's written as pretending to take his hand, so deceiving him on purpose. It was the impression I got in the movie too and made me sympathise with Kylo tbh. Here even more so, because right before she says she'll trick him, he says: " Please, Rey, here stand I vulnerable to thee." Rian wasn't kidding with the Notting Hill reference.
rawpowah
rawpowah
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by AhsokaTano Fri 29 Jun 2018, 3:32 am

@Riri @rawpowah
Wow powerful stuff! No doubt anymore for those who don’t believe about Ben/kylo’s intentions - my poor vulnerable kylo and it’s completely clear kylo wants rey Smile
And rey liking kylo shirtless!!!! Smile
Rey sees him doing good deeds in the future ( this is hopeful) and kylo sees rey by his side Smile
This is wonderful !!Smile
AhsokaTano
AhsokaTano
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by nana7marie Fri 29 Jun 2018, 4:14 am

How shall I speak to this deshirted man
And hope to focus on the conversation?
Oh, Rey, I so agree lol! - I couldn’t focus on the scene either, didn’t even notice the high-waisted trousers or lighting that made Adam Driver look even bigger than he was the first time I saw the movie ROFL
Fear not, Rey, and pretend thou
hearest him.
Out, hand, and stretch toward him and his
grasp,
Resembling one who would be wont to join.
When I watched the movie, I didn’t think Rey pretended to join him - I thought she already made her mind and was reaching for the lightsabre to leave with, but was still shocked her vision wouldn’t exactly come true - hence her sad and resigned facial expression. Now it seems she was afraid and tried to reassure herself (and her face could pass for anxious too, actually) and attempted to trick Kylo into thinking she’d join him to increase her chances of escape - and well, can’t blame her, I don’t think Kylo would just let her go and spare the Resistance Razz .
I feel equally sorry for Kylo, cos no matter Rey’s intentions, he’d always perceive this action as a betrayal, now just rightfully so.
nana7marie
nana7marie
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonlight13 Fri 29 Jun 2018, 12:03 pm

rawpowah wrote:"How shall I speak to this deshirted man, and hope to focus on the conversation" Laughing Yeah she liked what she saw.

The romance hints are really strong on Kylo's part in the hand scene. When he says "I dare not hope for such an equal”, imo it's like he was waiting and hoping to find someone like her. He sees dark in her. She sees light in him

The proposal scene: She's written as pretending to take his hand, so deceiving him on purpose. It was the impression I got in the movie too and made me sympathise with Kylo tbh. Here even more so, because right before she says she'll trick him, he says: " Please, Rey, here stand I vulnerable to thee." Rian wasn't kidding with the Notting Hill reference.
@rawpowah
It's not even subtle anymore. lol! lol! lol!
Moonlight13
Moonlight13

Back to top Go down

Post by Riri Fri 29 Jun 2018, 12:04 pm

The guard fight is probably the most Reylo thing yet lol

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 4 Img_7517

Riri
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by rawpowah Fri 29 Jun 2018, 1:07 pm

"Two bodies in a swift, majestic dance, // Made for this fight, this moment, and this chance” Laughing

He's got it bad. Romance in Shakespeare isn't subtle.
rawpowah
rawpowah
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Fri 29 Jun 2018, 2:21 pm

rawpowah wrote:"Two bodies in a swift, majestic dance, // Made for this fight, this moment, and this chance” Laughing

He's got it bad. Romance in Shakespeare isn't subtle.
@rawpowah

I am grinning like a school girl right now. Thank you so much for sharing this. Very Happy
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by giaciak2 Fri 29 Jun 2018, 3:32 pm

Oh, I think this is wonderful. Thank you for sharing this ❤️
giaciak2
giaciak2
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

https://www.tumblr.com/blog/shaara-2

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism Fri 29 Jun 2018, 3:41 pm

Found on Tumblr. Feels slightly spliced...

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 4 2nd_fb10

And Rey's thoughts on arriving on Supremacy...

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 4 Arriva10
Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by nana7marie Fri 29 Jun 2018, 3:53 pm

Why do I keep giggling, reading these excerpts? lol! My family’s giving me strange looks! Lolilol
nana7marie
nana7marie
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsWindu Fri 29 Jun 2018, 3:54 pm

Gawd I’m a sucker for this...‘tis true young Ben knows how good it feels

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 4 176df810

And because I have nothing better to do on a Friday night....

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 4 Ed2bf810

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 4 20c8ea10

Last edited by MrsWindu on Fri 29 Jun 2018, 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
MrsWindu
MrsWindu
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism Fri 29 Jun 2018, 4:16 pm

MrsWindu wrote:Gawd I’m a sucker for this...‘tis true young Ben knows how good it feels

The Last Jedi and the Shakespeare Novelizations - Page 4 176df810
@MrsWindu
Who would have thunk it? Reylo actually makes Shakespearean writings digestible to me.
Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsWindu Fri 29 Jun 2018, 4:28 pm

@Starliteprism
If my old English Lit teacher could see me drooling over this he’d probably faint
MrsWindu
MrsWindu
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Starliteprism Fri 29 Jun 2018, 4:47 pm

MrsWindu wrote:@Starliteprism
If my old English Lit teacher could see me drooling over this he’d probably faint
@MrsWindu

Yea...I'd say the same, but sadly mine committed suicide 14 years ago AND he was my favourite teacher in high school. I suspect he would have gotten a kick out of Reylo.

Last edited by Starliteprism on Fri 29 Jun 2018, 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Starliteprism
Starliteprism
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next