Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Marketing for Episode VIII

+63
spacebaby45678
Darth Dementor
CienaRee
MyOnlyHope
Atenais
Armadeus
Darth_marshmallow
PalmettoBlue
MrsWindu
Man Without A Star
MindAndMagic
Irina de France
DarthRen
rey09
Camaro
AceofWands
nite0wl29
ZioRen
Mana
Anakin Skywalker
Forsythia
Kylo Rey
reylo1992
Tex
Darth Rowan
tukicarreno
RosiePancake
MissG
SheLitAFire
Moonlight13
adamdrivershair
SkyStar
Kylo Men
Cowgirlsamurai
nemapasara
Night Huntress
EchoBase
Darth_Awakened
Saracene
shii405
Helix
SoloSideCousin
Reylo Lemon
motherofpearl1
Airemyn
Kessel
Jakku
SanghaRen
Darth Dingbat
Rei of Sunshine
Sylvia Snow
panki
Birdwoman
Little_Boots
vaderito
Xylo Ren
jakkusun
FrolickingFizzgig
IoJovi
snufkin
BastilaBey
Moonjump05
ISeeAnIsland
67 posters

Page 2 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next

Go down

Marketing for Episode VIII - Page 2 Empty Re: Marketing for Episode VIII

Post by Xylo Ren Thu 15 Sep 2016, 8:25 pm

Ooh you know how Kylo's looking to the left in TFA poster?

What if in VIII he's in the background with his scar, looking directly forward, and then in IX he's looking to the right.

Like the character literally turns around to the right light side.
Xylo Ren
Xylo Ren
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Thu 15 Sep 2016, 8:31 pm

Birdwoman wrote:@snufkin
Your charter school comments are hilarious.  My children went to the infamous charter school being featured in the bay area news off and on because of the D.A investigating them for fraud and abuse issues with foreign nationals.  I spent a good part of the last six months fighting to change the governance of our Children's school to no avail.  My children are happily deposited in their neighborhood school.  
Maybe this is why Kylo went to the dark side....Luke wasn't a good Charter School Manager.... ;)

@Birdwoman

Maybe Leia thought Luke's Charter School was a better option than packing Ben off to boarding school, but best option would've been family therapy and counseling.

I have some very old friends who teach at some very excellent charter schools, like Avalon in St Paul. But those are obviously much better charter schools than whatever Luke and LST were up to. You're familiar with Kevin Johnson and Caroline Rhee, right? That's some pure charter school dodginess and First Order level sleaziness right there (besides KJ's other sleazy behavior).

snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Thu 15 Sep 2016, 8:37 pm

Birdwoman wrote:What is interesting to me on the Celebration poster...it looks like Kylo is looking up, he is more in the blue with little red and there seems to be rain falling on him.  He, Rey and Luke are in their own little bubble...
Is this hinting the possible redemption arc is beginning? Smile
@Birdwoman

I think that grouping Kylo, Rey and Luke within the central circle indicates that their plot is going to be main one. They form a clear trio, there's no way around it.

I also noticed increase is new KMT publicity photos on the Net. Don't know who's putting them up but here are the ones that I haven't seen 2 months ago:

Marketing for Episode VIII - Page 2 Jg10

This one is wallpaper size:

http://www.wallpapersxl.com/wallpapers/3840x5760/kelly-tran-images/1447731/kelly-tran-images-kmt-1447731.2.jpg

Marketing for Episode VIII - Page 2 Z

Marketing for Episode VIII - Page 2 Iphone360_2475718

As you can see, they are w/o her signature big glasses. I guess there's interest in her so someone is putting up photos that show her the closest to what she'll look in Ep VIII. But yeah, that's interesting. We may be coming pretty close to her character name and look reveal (though we've seen Jennifer Li standing in for KMT  from behind and profile in Dubrovnik). We know she'll have  a ponytail. Some clever Photoshopper should make a Finntran poster.  Twisted Evil

Last edited by vaderito on Thu 15 Sep 2016, 8:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdwoman Thu 15 Sep 2016, 8:38 pm

There are some excellent Charter schools and I support having the options of charter schools in communities.  Our school was good, it was just the Charter Manager was not and they are crooks, in my opinion. Wink

I agree about Leia and Han, they should have done family counseling with Ben instead of sending him to live with her brother, who sounds like he is a little off now....

Birdwoman
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Birdwoman Thu 15 Sep 2016, 8:40 pm

How have people responded to John's comments about KMT? I do wonder if they will be in the romantic 'pose' on this poster. I would think if something romantic happens between Kylo and Rey that will be left as a twist in the movie.

Birdwoman
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Thu 15 Sep 2016, 9:04 pm

Birdwoman wrote:How have people responded to John's comments about KMT?  I do wonder if they will be in the romantic 'pose' on this poster.  I would think if something romantic happens between Kylo and Rey that will be left as a twist in the movie.
@Birdwoman

If something romantic happens between Rey and Kylo that'll be guarded with their lives. Finntran, however, could get obviously romantic on a poster though I think they won't go Hanleia on ESB or Anidala on AOTC poster with them yet. They'll be likely positioned close to each other a la Han and Leia on TFA poster, kind of a hint but nothing overt.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Sep 2016, 9:18 pm

vaderito wrote:
Birdwoman wrote:How have people responded to John's comments about KMT?  I do wonder if they will be in the romantic 'pose' on this poster.  I would think if something romantic happens between Kylo and Rey that will be left as a twist in the movie.
@Birdwoman

If something romantic happens between Rey and Kylo that'll be guarded with their lives. Finntran, however, could get obviously romantic on a poster though I think they won't go Hanleia on ESB or Anidala on AOTC poster with them yet. They'll be likely positioned close to each other a la Han and Leia on TFA poster, kind of a hint but nothing overt.
@vaderito

I like the idea of Finn and KMT's character on the space horse. It could be an action shot with Finn doing his "looking alarmed face" and KMT sat behind him and holding on for dear life! That way there's a hint of romance but it's not a romantic swoon pose.

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Thu 15 Sep 2016, 9:18 pm

Birdwoman wrote:
I agree about Leia and Han, they should have done family counseling with Ben instead of sending him to live with her brother, who sounds like he is a little off now....

How have people responded to John's comments about KMT?  I do wonder if they will be in the romantic 'pose' on this poster.  I would think if something romantic happens between Kylo and Rey that will be left as a twist in the movie.

@Birdwoman

I got threatened when I was 16 to be sent off to live w/one of my uncles until my mom wised up and realized it wouldn't be punishment sending me off to New York City (dammit).  

Somehow I see Ben wanting very badly to be good about things that are out of his control and having high hopes at first about going off to Luke. Like it's going to be Hogwarts. But it's probably another huge disappointment with Luke being too weird and stoic, plus down on the DS and telling him that he has to suppress that side of himself. Leia was probably a huge WASP with repressing all those icky emotions and memories and Han having grown up as an orphan probably deferred all of the major childrearing and education decisions to her, probably part of how Ben feels that he let him down. It sounds like Jimmy Smits' character did a good job raising her as a single dad, but the methods he used were probably not appropriate for Ben's temperament and FS skills.

If anything happens, it's for Hell sure not going to be hinted at all on the poster. If ESB happened today, they wouldn't be going around telling Rolling Stone about Han and Leia getting together, let along putting it on the poster. But seeing as how Ben is basically the result of that whole relationship, it's hard to see why some people persist in just thinking he's going to be a one dimensional bad guy waiting to get offed by Luke & Rey.

Last edited by snufkin on Thu 15 Sep 2016, 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sylvia Snow Thu 15 Sep 2016, 9:39 pm

I kinda want the poster to have either BatB vibe or Hades and Persephone vibe, something that will make people go "Hm, I think that there're something between Kylo and Rey" that they cannot pinpoint just yet but maybe it could acts as a subliminal message for people to prepare for the surprise.

On a side note, I just now know that Persephone did make a cameo on Disney Hercules, she appeared as the end when Hercules regain his godhood. And they were considered to made some episodes with different ideas but later it was all deemed too inappropriate 
Marketing for Episode VIII - Page 2 Latest?cb=20100227123727
Sylvia Snow
Sylvia Snow
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Thu 15 Sep 2016, 9:47 pm

OK, here's the chronology of the first wave of TFA marketing:

Nov 6 2014 Title announcement:

http://screencrush.com/star-wars-episode-7-force-awakens/

Nov 28 2014 first teaser:

http://www.ew.com/article/2014/11/28/star-wars-trailer-force-awakens-deep-dive

Character name reveal on Dec 11 2014:

http://www.ew.com/gallery/star-wars-force-awakens-character-names-revealed-new-trading-cards#30266717

Chronology of the second wave marketing:

Oct 18 2015 First theatrical poster

http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-force-awakens-theatrical-poster-first-look-in-theater-exclusives-and-more

Oct 19 2015 Full theatrical trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbxmsDFVnE

Nov 4 2015 Character posters

http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-force-awakens-character-posters-revealed

Nov 27 2015 - track list for TFA soundtrack:

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-7-soundtrack-spoilers/

As you can see, big gap between first and second wave. If they follow this pattern, which is iffy due to Rogue One, we should get title, teaser and names before the end of the year (November/December) or the latest April (Celebration). Second wave will likely go as TFA (October 2017).

Last edited by vaderito on Fri 16 Sep 2016, 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu 15 Sep 2016, 9:55 pm

@vaderito Yeah, thanks to Rogue One (which I can't get excited about to save my life) I doubt we're getting anything until early next year. I hope that's not the case obviously, but I can't see anything being released until then.

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonjump05 Thu 15 Sep 2016, 9:58 pm

Sylvia Snow wrote:I kinda want the poster to have either BatB vibe or Hades and Persephone vibe, something that will make people go "Hm, I think that there're something between Kylo and Rey" that they cannot pinpoint just yet but maybe it could acts as a subliminal message for people to prepare for the surprise.

On a side note, I just know that Persephone did make a cameo on Disney Hercules, she appeared as the end when Hercules regain his godhood. And they were considered to made some episodes with different ideas but later it was all deemed too inappropriate 
@Sylvia Snow

Well, Disney Hercules went full on evil villian for Hades, just another thing they really screwed up about the original mythology (lovey dovey monogomous Zeus and Hera??!?) And animated Disney is not going to give this guy a love interest
Marketing for Episode VIII - Page 2 851822_1318181268681_full

But in general,  since Hades/Persephone is basically the archetypical light/dark, yin yang BatB I would love for some more of that to bleed through.  (You know, beyond TFA having The Abduction and all that)  More symbolic mirroring as well.
Something like this
Marketing for Episode VIII - Page 2 Roughwork2_by_sandara

Or this
Marketing for Episode VIII - Page 2 Hades_and_persephone_by_gedogfx-d8tgt52

Moonjump05
Moonjump05
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Sylvia Snow Thu 15 Sep 2016, 10:10 pm

@Moonjump05

Me too, but from what I read,either she was being replaced by other character or some of the ideas for an episode in Hercules the series, consist of wanting to make Persephone as Hades and Demeter's child and have them fight for custody. I always wanted to see an adaptation of the story on movies instead continue to make Hades as the villain, he's the God of the Underworld doesn't necessarily mean he have to be evil.

These are my favorite "Hades and Persephone" photo shoot so far

Pictures:

Last edited by Sylvia Snow on Thu 15 Sep 2016, 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sylvia Snow
Sylvia Snow
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Rei of Sunshine Thu 15 Sep 2016, 10:11 pm

@Xylo Ren

I like that idea of Kylo turning face in the posters.. In TFA He was looking left, and if in VIII he faces center (with half his face in shadow to represent his duality), then in IX he finally faces right. That would be a really awesome and direct way of showing his redemption. Posters are iconic as we all say, and Ben Solo is basically the background plot of this new trilogy. His redemption should be well illustrated.

And to coincide with the facing front positioning for VIII, I don't want to hope too much, but I would seriously loose my marbles if the poster recycles this concept.

Marketing for Episode VIII - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQkHSZyNsbTepMvHzFO3vAi4QFY-vsLpKVGmIRwB9eRkGW-dibtPA9cM-kq

It basically includes a lot of important elements to the poster composition and storytelling

1. BIG BAD VILLAIN
Kylo is still seen as a villain, and villains are usually the biggest in the picture. His height and size makes him overshadow Rey which->

2. ...could symbolize Rey's own temptation into the Dark Side. Kylo is literally being her shadow here. It shows conflict very clearly, and despite the over all sinister vibe of the positioning, there is the subtext of-->

3. ...ROMANCE.
The main romantic pair is fully shown together. But it isn't obvious as for the fact that if Rey's expression is shown as angry or sad or contemplative, it still represents her conflict with Kylo, while it shows his desire to claim/teach her.

If these two were shown on the poster in this position, then it pretty much emphasizes that they drive the main plot. The rest of the characters can be minimally placed around them such as  Luke to the right side with Finn and other Resistance peeps, and probably Snoke, BDT, and the FO to the left.

The FO and Resistance are pretty much delineated and seperate as always, but this time Kylo and Rey will be together in the middle. Symbolizing a sort of balance and equality.

Imagine a cross between that concept art and this:
Marketing for Episode VIII - Page 2 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTc6rRXcV9rpS3vBXgE_ZKlP1tsagqiN0P-xrLahMnqe8O80Q03gja3ws35Ig

Last edited by Rei of Sunshine on Thu 15 Sep 2016, 10:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rei of Sunshine
Rei of Sunshine
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Thu 15 Sep 2016, 10:12 pm

Oh the Disney stuff - right now Disneyland is marketing the Hell out of Halloween at Disneyland with billboards and TV commercials. The commercials that are showing during my local news broadcast is a Who's Who of villains. Funny thing, one person in particular isn't being included there. But he's a hardcore unredeemable villain right? According to Some Guy on the Internet, at least.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey Thu 15 Sep 2016, 10:27 pm

@snufkin your post reminded me of this comparison of Kylo/Ben in the latest round of merch compared to the Classic Disney villains https://oldadastra.tumblr.com/post/149940804009/the-merch-does-not-lie
BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Moonjump05 Thu 15 Sep 2016, 10:27 pm

Sylvia Snow wrote:@Moonjump05

Me too, but from what I read,either she was being replaced by other character or some of the ideas for an episode in Hercules the series, consist of wanting to make Persephone as Hades and Demeter's child and have them fight for custody. I always wanted to see an adaptation of the story on movies instead continue to make Hades as the villain, he's the God of the Underworld doesn't necessarily mean he have to be evil.

These are my favorite "Hades and Persephone" photo shoot so far

Pictures:
@Sylvia Snow

Yeah, Hades in mythology seems the most modernly decent god of the bunch- of course Zeus and Poseidon do not set the bar very high- and yet he seems to get the short end of the stick (super ironic considering, lol)

Moonjump05
Moonjump05
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Thu 15 Sep 2016, 10:38 pm

BastilaBey wrote:@snufkin your post reminded me of this comparison of Kylo/Ben in the latest round of merch compared to the Classic Disney villains https://oldadastra.tumblr.com/post/149940804009/the-merch-does-not-lie
@BastilaBey

Yeah these guys all make fleeting appearances in the TV spot

Marketing for Episode VIII - Page 2 Tumblr_inline_od01zhHtr61tmxbu2_500

The witch from Snow White has some line about how "Disneyland is now ours!" about how they're taking over because it's Halloween. But no sign of Kylo...
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Thu 15 Sep 2016, 10:40 pm

snufkin wrote:
BastilaBey wrote:@snufkin your post reminded me of this comparison of Kylo/Ben in the latest round of merch compared to the Classic Disney villains https://oldadastra.tumblr.com/post/149940804009/the-merch-does-not-lie
@BastilaBey

The witch from Snow White has some line about how "Disneyland is now ours!" about how they're taking over because it's Halloween. But no sign of Kylo...
@snufkin

#whereiskylo
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Thu 15 Sep 2016, 10:50 pm

IoJovi wrote:
snufkin wrote:
@BastilaBey

@snufkin

#whereiskylo

@IoJovi

The only TV spots he's appeared in for my local news are "come visit him at Disneyland and see if he can be redeemed!" Now personally I think he's somebody who's too cool for school to be hanging around Disneyland (he seems more like he's be at the Griffin Observatory a la Rebel Without a Cause) - but that's what the TV ad said, so there ya go.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by BastilaBey Thu 15 Sep 2016, 10:58 pm

@snufkin they actually mention redemption in the tv spot? I saw that Disneyland tweet saying the same thing, but actually using it in advertising seems...ridiculously obvious?
BastilaBey
BastilaBey
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Thu 15 Sep 2016, 11:02 pm

BastilaBey wrote:@snufkin they actually mention redemption in the tv spot? I saw that Disneyland tweet saying the same thing, but actually using it in advertising seems...ridiculously obvious?

@BastilaBey

5p Sunday local news, at least here in California. And local Sunday paper travel section ads. They really want you to come meet Kylo!

snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Thu 15 Sep 2016, 11:51 pm

Sylvia Snow wrote:I kinda want the poster to have either BatB vibe or Hades and Persephone vibe, something that will make people go "Hm, I think that there're something between Kylo and Rey" that they cannot pinpoint just yet but maybe it could acts as a subliminal message for people to prepare for the surprise.

On a side note, I just now know that Persephone did make a cameo on Disney Hercules, she appeared as the end when Hercules regain his godhood. And they were considered to made some episodes with different ideas but later it was all deemed too inappropriate 
@Sylvia Snow

Ooh, I'm sure that they won't, but I'd love if they did something ambiguous on the poster...  Like, if Kylo ends up saving Rey from drowning or something...and we get Bridal Carry v2.0 in the movie, and they put that on the poster. It'll appear ominous to most people...except for Reylo shippers!

ETA: Yeah, what @Rei of Sunshine said!

Last edited by ISeeAnIsland on Fri 16 Sep 2016, 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Thu 15 Sep 2016, 11:52 pm

snufkin wrote:
BastilaBey wrote:@snufkin they actually mention redemption in the tv spot? I saw that Disneyland tweet saying the same thing, but actually using it in advertising seems...ridiculously obvious?

@BastilaBey

5p Sunday local news, at least here in California. And local Sunday paper travel section ads. They really want you to come meet Kylo!

@snufkin

My cousin (same age as me) took her family to Disney World this week. I haven't seen any Kylo-meet-and-greet photos pop up on Facebook, but if they do meet Kylo, I sure hope she gets one of the flirty Kylos.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Fri 16 Sep 2016, 1:23 am

ISeeAnIsland wrote:
@snufkin

My cousin (same age as me) took her family to Disney World this week. I haven't seen any Kylo-meet-and-greet photos pop up on Facebook, but if they do meet Kylo, I sure hope she gets one of the flirty Kylos.

@ISeeAnIsland

This sounds like the Disney version of the Champaign Room - do the flirty ones try to impress you with their knowledge of hair care, cartography, droid specifications, and access to the Imperial Archives?
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 16 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 16  Next