Rey & Kylo Ren Connection (a Reylo Star Wars forum)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 11

+48
Reylo Lemon
EchoBase
Rimfaxe96
Mana
KnightsofReyloRen
Sylvia Snow
Rei of Sunshine
IoJovi
Kessel
Darth Dingbat
Gemini
Irina de France
spacebaby45678
SanghaRen
reylo1992
FrolickingFizzgig
Moonjump05
Kyla Ren
Darth_Awakened
MeadowofAshes
ZenBrainJam
BastilaBey
panki
ISeeAnIsland
Armadeus
Saracene
Xylo Ren
motherofpearl1
ZioRen
SoloSideCousin
Darth Dementor
MindAndMagic
vaderito
Little_Boots
Krafty
LondonGal555
Birdwoman
Helix
nonesuch
AceofWands
WillowMeena
CienaRee
Starchaser
Lily Snape
ReyofLightSide
Jakku
guardienne
snufkin
52 posters

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 11 - Page 3 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 11

Post by Lily Snape Sat 01 Oct 2016, 12:09 pm

Lily Snape wrote:@StarChaser -- this is terrific.  I thought that she understood Kylo better after standing over him, feral and almost snarling, with the voice in her head, feeling like she wanted to kill him even though he was by then defenseless.  I mean, Rey did take out some anonymous storm troopers, but this is Han's son.  She knows how badly his father wanted him redeemed.  And she already knows him better than she ever wanted to-- including, I'm sure, his turmoil and conflict and doubt.  No wonder the rumor is that she won't want to kill him in VIII-- she made that choice at the end of VII.  I love the idea of her going after him, trying to find the Light.  I always assumed she'd be the one to initiate anything romantic, partly because we don't need a repeat of his parents in which Han was the pursuer, and partly to show (after all the stuff he did that she fled and resisted) that she really is interested in him, not the stereotypical "Baby It's Cold Outside" kind of thing.

@snufkin -- Darth Boyfriend for the win!!! Smile And thanks for posting that discussion. Now I need to check out the rest of the site.
@Lily Snape

OK, now someone needs to do a SnowFight "Baby It's Cold Outside." Smile
Lily Snape
Lily Snape
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 11 - Page 3 Empty Re: ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 11

Post by vaderito Sat 01 Oct 2016, 12:11 pm

Lily Snape wrote:@StarChaser -- this is terrific. I thought that she understood Kylo better after standing over him, feral and almost snarling, with the voice in her head, feeling like she wanted to kill him even though he was by then defenseless. I mean, Rey did take out some anonymous storm troopers, but this is Han's son. She knows how badly his father wanted him redeemed. And she already knows him better than she ever wanted to-- including, I'm sure, his turmoil and conflict and doubt. No wonder the rumor is that she won't want to kill him in VIII-- she made that choice at the end of VII. I love the idea of her going after him, trying to find the Light. I always assumed she'd be the one to initiate anything romantic, partly because we don't need a repeat of his parents in which Han was the pursuer, and partly to show (after all the stuff he did that she fled and resisted) that she really is interested in him, not the stereotypical "Baby It's Cold Outside" kind of thing.

@snufkin -- Darth Boyfriend for the win!!!
@Lily Snape

heh, Storm Troopers stopped being anonymous after Finn's confession. basically, guys like him, taken from their families, trained to do one thing. Yet no pausing to reconsidering killing Next Finns. I mean, I'm sure that film-makers didn't think much of it just like they didn't think much of Finn shooting Troopers, but yeah. They should have thought about that because it would've contributed to better, more believable characterization.

As for Rey and Kylo, I think that it had less to do with Han and more to do with her personal disappointment and also when she slashed his face with realization that she did something that she couldn't take back and how easy it would have been to do even more serious thing that couldn't have been taken back.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Lily Snape Sat 01 Oct 2016, 12:38 pm

vaderito wrote:
Lily Snape wrote:@StarChaser -- this is terrific. I thought that she understood Kylo better after standing over him, feral and almost snarling, with the voice in her head, feeling like she wanted to kill him even though he was by then defenseless. I mean, Rey did take out some anonymous storm troopers, but this is Han's son. She knows how badly his father wanted him redeemed. And she already knows him better than she ever wanted to-- including, I'm sure, his turmoil and conflict and doubt. No wonder the rumor is that she won't want to kill him in VIII-- she made that choice at the end of VII. I love the idea of her going after him, trying to find the Light. I always assumed she'd be the one to initiate anything romantic, partly because we don't need a repeat of his parents in which Han was the pursuer, and partly to show (after all the stuff he did that she fled and resisted) that she really is interested in him, not the stereotypical "Baby It's Cold Outside" kind of thing.

@snufkin -- Darth Boyfriend for the win!!!
@Lily Snape

heh, Storm Troopers stopped being anonymous after Finn's confession. basically, guys like him, taken from their families, trained to do one thing. Yet no pausing to reconsidering killing Next Finns. I mean, I'm sure that film-makers didn't think much of it just like they didn't think much of Finn shooting Troopers, but yeah. They should have thought about that because it would've contributed to better, more believable characterization.

As for Rey and Kylo, I think that it had less to do with Han and more to do with her personal disappointment and also when she slashed his face with realization that she did something that she couldn't take back and how easy it would have been to do even more serious thing that couldn't have been taken back.
@vaderito

I think that Finn makes killing Stormtroopers a lot more morally ambiguous in this world-- although maybe throwing TR-8R in there was to point out that most of them are totally brainwashed and ready to kill and die for the First Order. But yeah, if Finn leads a Stormtrooper rebellion, the "shooting random Stormtroopers" scenes will be harder to watch.
Lily Snape
Lily Snape
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by Reylo Lemon Sat 01 Oct 2016, 12:39 pm

BastilaBey wrote:@vaderito Yep, it all fits with the theme of balance in the ST.

And

MOYERS: What was it Jung said -- that the soul cannot exist in peace until it finds its other, and the other is always a you? Is that what the romantic --

CAMPBELL: Yes, exactly, romance. That's romance. That's what myth is all about.

I mean, come on now. Meeting 'the other', the opposite, Rey meeting the animus.

ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 11 - Page 3 Tumblr_inline_o3par0CoyM1u3rtsu_500
@BastilaBey

Nothing sexual here, move on Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Reylo Lemon
Reylo Lemon
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by ISeeAnIsland Sat 01 Oct 2016, 1:21 pm

@Starchaser - Really excellent post! Thanks for stopping by and sharing that with us!

I think that you really nailed and put into words some of the ideas that have been talked about in the more abstract here from time to time. And your theories do align well with some of the spoilers that we've got from MSW. As others have pointed out--especially the one where Luke tells Rey that she has to kill Kylo, but she doesn't want to.

A lot of us have assumed that she doesn't want to kill Kylo because she knows what really happened at Luke's Jedi temple massacre (and that whatever happened, Kylo wasn't 100% to blame). BUT I think that it would be very plausible and in-character that it's because of what she did and that she stood in his shoes on Starkiller.

Like you, I also believe that she was in his mind during the "finding the Force or whatever" moment there. My thinking was that he "nudged" the Force to her as an enticement, but I could definitely see what you're saying, too. In any case, I'm very confident that she was in his mind, and he clearly wasn't fighting it.
ISeeAnIsland
ISeeAnIsland
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Sat 01 Oct 2016, 1:59 pm

@Lily Snape, you've seen this, right?

Poe & Rey sing "Baby, it's cold outside."

Rey making the first move after Darth Boyfriend has been pining for her would make even more sense than in the PT. I sort of felt like Padme realized she could die w/out having that life experience and wanted marriage/babies pretty badly. Enough to make a bad choice and think that she could work it out with this guy. Rey seems more like it'd way more happen on her terms and he knows that she's not a pushover (while also being the kindest person in the galaxy).
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Sat 01 Oct 2016, 2:07 pm

Also Campbell quote FTW. I'm way too much of a snob (like you can't telll!) to be a fandom or shipping person. But it always struck me as being kindred spirits, heroine's journey, and a romantic/sexual attraction. All three don't feel mutually exclusive to me. And the romance/sexual part never felt cheesy or embarrassing, but a pretty profound and sincere part of their connection. But being a too cool for school type, my point of reference is a Stephen Soderberg/Elmore Leonard story (Out of Sight), so maybe that's why I get it Wink
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Lily Snape Sat 01 Oct 2016, 2:24 pm

snufkin wrote:@Lily Snape, you've seen this, right?

Poe & Rey sing "Baby, it's cold outside."

Rey making the first move after Darth Boyfriend has been pining for her would make even more sense than in the PT. I sort of felt like Padme realized she could die w/out having that life experience and wanted marriage/babies pretty badly. Enough to make a bad choice and think that she could work it out with this guy. Rey seems more like it'd way more happen on her terms and he knows that she's not a pushover (while also being the kindest person in the galaxy).
@snufkin

I think it definitely has to happen on Rey's terms given that Kylo was her captor and pursuer. In my ever-evolving headcanon, VIII has them on some sort of Field Trip with Zuko, likely for totally different reasons-- then evolving trust and friendship, hopefully with some snarky Han and Leia banter and increasing sweetness and sexual tension at the same time (a girl can dream), and then some sort of peril at the end in which she reveals how she feels about him (even just holding his hand would do), and then he does the dramatic sacrifice, she's saved, he's without her and at risk of imminent death, dramatic John Williams score, The End, cliffhanger.

Now off to check out Poe and Rey singing. Smile
Lily Snape
Lily Snape
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Back to top Go down

Post by snufkin Sat 01 Oct 2016, 2:35 pm

@Lily Snape, I tend to think something will happen to her at the end of VIII that'll be like Han making the decision to stick his neck for Leia and ending up captured/frozen in carbonite.
snufkin
snufkin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by guardienne Sat 01 Oct 2016, 2:51 pm

Starchaser wrote:

And I'm positive that if they do go for Reylo (I'm 99% sure they will), it will be full blown Reylo in episode 8. I'm talking kisses and at least one fade to black. They're not going to go slow with this, there's no reason to, the insanity would be too entertaining. The buildup  might be slow, but they'll open up the gates of Reylo hell eventually. I know that many Reylo fans believe that they'll only get a kiss at the end of episode 9 (if they're lucky), but that would only be the case if Reylo would be the main purpose of the story. The battle between light and dark goes beyond what happens between 2 people, as important as they might be. They won't spend 2 movies making people wonder  "will they or won't they", the stakes are higher than that. The relationships will be well established at the beginning of episode 9, at this point everyone will fight to stay alive and, if they're lucky, together. This is when relationships are tested, while the battle between light and dark is at its worst.

I know that this might sound outrageous to many, and I blame the deranged people (can I say that?) who yell "Reylo is disgusting" every chance they get. After so many insults, even people who believe that Reylo will happen have started to think that the filmmakers won't have the guts to have Rey and Rey hugging or, god forbid, kissing. Because Kylo Ren is a crazy murderer who has to pay for his sins before getting a chance to be with Rey bla bla…..

Also, the pacing  of episode VII is so fast that most fans imagine that the entire trilogy will only span a few weeks at most. But episode 8 alone might cover months. And in the grand scheme of things, episode 7 is just an introduction. It set things in motion but it didn't decide anything. The events in episode 7  won't drive the entire trilogy, the story will become much more complex. The galaxy has bigger problems than Ren's redemption (which, by the way, I believe to be halfway there already) or whether Rey can love a murderer. It's the burning hate towards Reylo that makes it seem like such a big issue when it absolutely isn't. Ren isn't just a murderer, Rey isn't a holy golden soul, and getting them together would be extremely easy. And there's no way the filmmakers won't go there, it's the low hanging but GOLDEN apple. The tall, dark, handsome monster and the pretty ray of light that brightens the entire world. Song as old as time. Could it be MORE obvious? And I say this, when in doubt look at a gif of Ren taking off his helmet. All you see is LIPS. Those are there for a reason, they'll be put to good use. In episode 8. 

I'll stop here. My point is Rey feels bad about what she did to Ren so of course she's going to look back and hope he survives. I don't know if she would have taken him with her, I mean Chewbacca was there....but who knows, she's crazy enough to argue with an angry wookie :-) She has a bad temper and she was in shock, so anything is possible.
@Starchaser

i don't know if i agree with all of this re: rey will feel like she pushed him towards the dark side and will want to bring him back but i definitely agree with there being bigger fish to fry than whether they will or won't.

but either way it's an interesting pov, thanks for sharing.
guardienne
guardienne
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 Sat 01 Oct 2016, 4:36 pm

Starchaser wrote:
WhatGirl wrote:
Sylvia Snow wrote:
WhatGirl wrote:I'm thinking that Rey looked back because, maybe, if Hux hadn't come to get Kylo in time, she might've gone back for him. On the Falcon.

You don't stop and waste precious seconds on a collapsing planet to check if your 'enemy' is safe unless you intend on doing something about it if he isn't, tbh.
@WhatGirl

Oh God, Yes!!! I think just before she about to go on the Falcon, it's then that she think of Kylo whom she left on the other side. Now I want this situation happens again in episode 8 in a different way but this time she will come back for him
@Sylvia Snow

She hasn't been tested on this yet and I think she will be. In tfa there was no need for her to consider saving Kylo since Hux got there in time on Snoke's orders. But another situation will probably come along in which a choice will have to be made and there won't be anyone but Rey to bail him out. I have no evidence but I get the feeling that Kylo will not be left behind on Ahch-To if they need to evacuate for whatever reason.
@WhatGirl

About that…..  sorry if the conversation moved on, or if this point was already made, I haven't logged on for months so someone else might have discussed it before. But I think it's an interesting idea, so please bear with me.

I had a "revelation" today and now I'm positive that Rey looked back at Ren hoping that he'll survive. She needs him to survive in order to not become a monster herself.

Because what happens at the edge of the cliff is similar to what happened on the bridge. Only this time, Ren has taken Han's place and Rey has taken Ren's place.

Han asks Ren to come home despite what he did and what might have happened between the 2 of them. We know that Ren is not a psychopath, so it's safe to assume that he wouldn't kill his father just to appease Snoke. He has good reasons to despise his father, so something must have happened in the past. I'm not saying that Han deserved to die, of course not. But he wasn't completely innocent either. Anyway, Han doesn't care about the past and just wants his son back. And his son seems to understand him, and acts as if he might actually do it. Han trusts him when he grabs the lightsaber, but Ren is overcome by the dark side and betrays and kills his father. Yes, this was Ren's plan all along, but he was very conflicted, so there was a chance for him to go home.

Now onto the cliff. Ren asks Rey to be her teacher (in other words, to come with him) despite what has happened in the past. Rey ran away from him much like HE ran from his family, but he wants her back, just like his father did with him (parallel no 1).

Rey stops and focuses on the force, and (I believe) enters Ren's mind. This would explain why she was so good with a lightsaber all of a sudden. Also, why she opens her eyes with no traces of fear or hate. She saw inside his mind, she saw that he's not some creature consumed by darkness, she knows there's still light in there. She understands Ren and considers his offer, just like Ren did with his father (parallel no 2).

Then Rey remembers what happened in the past, and is overcome by anger and a desire for vengeance. Again, just like Ren did with his father (parallel no 3).

She's overcome by the dark side, and she attacks Ren. Before this Ren looks at her with trust, like his father did with him (parallel no 4). He believes that she might say yes, and he's shocked at what she does later.

And if Rey entered Ren's mind, it's because he let her. He wouldn't be taken by surprise again, he knows what he's dealing with this time. And this is much like Han grabbing Ren's lightsaber when he offered it, right before it was used against him (parallel no 5). Han trusted Ren to not ignite that lightsaber, Ren trusted Rey to not use his own mind against him.  

But she does, betraying him, like HE did with Han (parallel no 6).

Then she attacks him, defeats him, and comes close to killing him while he's defenseless. She stops herself in time, proving that's she's stronger (emotionally) than Ren. But not before she renders him completely helpless. Then the ground splits, and she comes back to her senses. The dark side is gone, and she's horrified by what she almost did, much like Ren after Han's death (parallel no 7). Meanwhile, Ren just looks at her, no trace of anger or resentment in his stare. He forgives her, just like Han did with him (parallel no Cool.

And the reason why Rey is horrified is because she now understands how strong the dark side really is. How easily it can twist a person into becoming a cold blooded murderer. Despite how good and pure she is, she could have become a monster herself. She used Ren's own mind against him and hurt him when he was already disarmed and too tired to fight. If she would have killed him she would have effectively become him.

Of course, if Ren just left her alone, she wouldn't have ended up in that situation in the first place, so it's all his fault. But then again, if Han had left Ren alone, HE wouldn't have become a monster (parallel no 9). By the way, Snoke told Ren to bring the girl much like Leia told Han to bring her son (parallel no 10). And both of them failed miserably (parallel no 11).

But wait, there's more.

Like Han and Ren before her, Rey becomes a beseecher. She goes after Luke in order to bring him home (parallel no 12). Then she hands him the lighsaber like Ren did with Han (parallel no 13, although it's in reverse, here the beseecher hands the lightsaber). And if the story keeps rhyming from this point on, Rey will be rejected. She's about to find out what it's like to be left alone with the dark side and Snoke. I'm not saying that Luke will just tell her to go home. But he might not be willing to train her in the ways she needs it. He might not know how to deal  with someone who is surrounded by the dark side. WE KNOW he couldn't do it before, and it's possible that nothing changed. Lucky her, there's someone who can help with that. Rey broke the "beseecher dies" cycle when she decided against killing Ren, so when the time comes for her to be abandoned and (possibly) close to death, she'll have something to fall on.

And this will happen either if she likes it or not, even if she absolutely doesn't want Ren's help. If my theory is correct, Rey will never even think about killing Ren unless she absolutely has to, if he forces her into a corner and threatens her life. Last time she was close to doing that she almost fell to the dark side, and chances are she's traumatized. And I'm 100% sure Ren won't try to fight her (I have a theory on him too), so when he comes after her she'll be pretty much stuck with him.

Oh and another thing. If Ren goes to that island acting as if he's completely soulless and evil (and I believe he will, even though he won't attack Rey), Rey will believe that it's her fault, that she  indeed managed to kill him in a way. Which will only make her struggle with the dark side that more difficult. She left him on Starkiller with nowhere to go but back to Snoke, who, as far as she knows, might have snuffed out the light regardless of what Ren wanted.

This is why I believe that Rey will be the one to reach out to Ren mentally. He'll go after her physically, but she will be the one to initiate an emotional connection. She pretty much has to, she has to prove that he's not gone, mostly to herself. Many believe that if Reylo will happen it will be because Ren manages to wear Rey down by bombarding her mind, but I'm sure it will be the other way around. Rey will go in looking for the light and it will backfire spectacularly. Ren will be the reluctant one, SHE will wear HIM down. Let's see people yelling "Rey is a victim!!" then.

And I'm positive that if they do go for Reylo (I'm 99% sure they will), it will be full blown Reylo in episode 8. I'm talking kisses and at least one fade to black. They're not going to go slow with this, there's no reason to, the insanity would be too entertaining. The buildup  might be slow, but they'll open up the gates of Reylo hell eventually. I know that many Reylo fans believe that they'll only get a kiss at the end of episode 9 (if they're lucky), but that would only be the case if Reylo would be the main purpose of the story. The battle between light and dark goes beyond what happens between 2 people, as important as they might be. They won't spend 2 movies making people wonder  "will they or won't they", the stakes are higher than that. The relationships will be well established at the beginning of episode 9, at this point everyone will fight to stay alive and, if they're lucky, together. This is when relationships are tested, while the battle between light and dark is at its worst.

I know that this might sound outrageous to many, and I blame the deranged people (can I say that?) who yell "Reylo is disgusting" every chance they get. After so many insults, even people who believe that Reylo will happen have started to think that the filmmakers won't have the guts to have Rey and Rey hugging or, god forbid, kissing. Because Kylo Ren is a crazy murderer who has to pay for his sins before getting a chance to be with Rey bla bla…..

Also, the pacing  of episode VII is so fast that most fans imagine that the entire trilogy will only span a few weeks at most. But episode 8 alone might cover months. And in the grand scheme of things, episode 7 is just an introduction. It set things in motion but it didn't decide anything. The events in episode 7  won't drive the entire trilogy, the story will become much more complex. The galaxy has bigger problems than Ren's redemption (which, by the way, I believe to be halfway there already) or whether Rey can love a murderer. It's the burning hate towards Reylo that makes it seem like such a big issue when it absolutely isn't. Ren isn't just a murderer, Rey isn't a holy golden soul, and getting them together would be extremely easy. And there's no way the filmmakers won't go there, it's the low hanging but GOLDEN apple. The tall, dark, handsome monster and the pretty ray of light that brightens the entire world. Song as old as time. Could it be MORE obvious? And I say this, when in doubt look at a gif of Ren taking off his helmet. All you see is LIPS. Those are there for a reason, they'll be put to good use. In episode 8. 

I'll stop here. My point is Rey feels bad about what she did to Ren so of course she's going to look back and hope he survives. I don't know if she would have taken him with her, I mean Chewbacca was there....but who knows, she's crazy enough to argue with an angry wookie :-) She has a bad temper and she was in shock, so anything is possible.
@Starchaser

Starchaser wrote:
WhatGirl wrote:
Sylvia Snow wrote:
WhatGirl wrote:I'm thinking that Rey looked back because, maybe, if Hux hadn't come to get Kylo in time, she might've gone back for him. On the Falcon.

You don't stop and waste precious seconds on a collapsing planet to check if your 'enemy' is safe unless you intend on doing something about it if he isn't, tbh.
@WhatGirl

Oh God, Yes!!! I think just before she about to go on the Falcon, it's then that she think of Kylo whom she left on the other side. Now I want this situation happens again in episode 8 in a different way but this time she will come back for him
@Sylvia Snow

She hasn't been tested on this yet and I think she will be. In tfa there was no need for her to consider saving Kylo since Hux got there in time on Snoke's orders. But another situation will probably come along in which a choice will have to be made and there won't be anyone but Rey to bail him out. I have no evidence but I get the feeling that Kylo will not be left behind on Ahch-To if they need to evacuate for whatever reason.
@WhatGirl

About that…..  sorry if the conversation moved on, or if this point was already made, I haven't logged on for months so someone else might have discussed it before. But I think it's an interesting idea, so please bear with me.

I had a "revelation" today and now I'm positive that Rey looked back at Ren hoping that he'll survive. She needs him to survive in order to not become a monster herself.

Because what happens at the edge of the cliff is similar to what happened on the bridge. Only this time, Ren has taken Han's place and Rey has taken Ren's place.

Han asks Ren to come home despite what he did and what might have happened between the 2 of them. We know that Ren is not a psychopath, so it's safe to assume that he wouldn't kill his father just to appease Snoke. He has good reasons to despise his father, so something must have happened in the past. I'm not saying that Han deserved to die, of course not. But he wasn't completely innocent either. Anyway, Han doesn't care about the past and just wants his son back. And his son seems to understand him, and acts as if he might actually do it. Han trusts him when he grabs the lightsaber, but Ren is overcome by the dark side and betrays and kills his father. Yes, this was Ren's plan all along, but he was very conflicted, so there was a chance for him to go home.

Now onto the cliff. Ren asks Rey to be her teacher (in other words, to come with him) despite what has happened in the past. Rey ran away from him much like HE ran from his family, but he wants her back, just like his father did with him (parallel no 1).

Rey stops and focuses on the force, and (I believe) enters Ren's mind. This would explain why she was so good with a lightsaber all of a sudden. Also, why she opens her eyes with no traces of fear or hate. She saw inside his mind, she saw that he's not some creature consumed by darkness, she knows there's still light in there. She understands Ren and considers his offer, just like Ren did with his father (parallel no 2).

Then Rey remembers what happened in the past, and is overcome by anger and a desire for vengeance. Again, just like Ren did with his father (parallel no 3).

She's overcome by the dark side, and she attacks Ren. Before this Ren looks at her with trust, like his father did with him (parallel no 4). He believes that she might say yes, and he's shocked at what she does later.

And if Rey entered Ren's mind, it's because he let her. He wouldn't be taken by surprise again, he knows what he's dealing with this time. And this is much like Han grabbing Ren's lightsaber when he offered it, right before it was used against him (parallel no 5). Han trusted Ren to not ignite that lightsaber, Ren trusted Rey to not use his own mind against him.  

But she does, betraying him, like HE did with Han (parallel no 6).

Then she attacks him, defeats him, and comes close to killing him while he's defenseless. She stops herself in time, proving that's she's stronger (emotionally) than Ren. But not before she renders him completely helpless. Then the ground splits, and she comes back to her senses. The dark side is gone, and she's horrified by what she almost did, much like Ren after Han's death (parallel no 7). Meanwhile, Ren just looks at her, no trace of anger or resentment in his stare. He forgives her, just like Han did with him (parallel no Cool.

And the reason why Rey is horrified is because she now understands how strong the dark side really is. How easily it can twist a person into becoming a cold blooded murderer. Despite how good and pure she is, she could have become a monster herself. She used Ren's own mind against him and hurt him when he was already disarmed and too tired to fight. If she would have killed him she would have effectively become him.

Of course, if Ren just left her alone, she wouldn't have ended up in that situation in the first place, so it's all his fault. But then again, if Han had left Ren alone, HE wouldn't have become a monster (parallel no 9). By the way, Snoke told Ren to bring the girl much like Leia told Han to bring her son (parallel no 10). And both of them failed miserably (parallel no 11).

But wait, there's more.

Like Han and Ren before her, Rey becomes a beseecher. She goes after Luke in order to bring him home (parallel no 12). Then she hands him the lighsaber like Ren did with Han (parallel no 13, although it's in reverse, here the beseecher hands the lightsaber). And if the story keeps rhyming from this point on, Rey will be rejected. She's about to find out what it's like to be left alone with the dark side and Snoke. I'm not saying that Luke will just tell her to go home. But he might not be willing to train her in the ways she needs it. He might not know how to deal  with someone who is surrounded by the dark side. WE KNOW he couldn't do it before, and it's possible that nothing changed. Lucky her, there's someone who can help with that. Rey broke the "beseecher dies" cycle when she decided against killing Ren, so when the time comes for her to be abandoned and (possibly) close to death, she'll have something to fall on.

And this will happen either if she likes it or not, even if she absolutely doesn't want Ren's help. If my theory is correct, Rey will never even think about killing Ren unless she absolutely has to, if he forces her into a corner and threatens her life. Last time she was close to doing that she almost fell to the dark side, and chances are she's traumatized. And I'm 100% sure Ren won't try to fight her (I have a theory on him too), so when he comes after her she'll be pretty much stuck with him.

Oh and another thing. If Ren goes to that island acting as if he's completely soulless and evil (and I believe he will, even though he won't attack Rey), Rey will believe that it's her fault, that she  indeed managed to kill him in a way. Which will only make her struggle with the dark side that more difficult. She left him on Starkiller with nowhere to go but back to Snoke, who, as far as she knows, might have snuffed out the light regardless of what Ren wanted.

This is why I believe that Rey will be the one to reach out to Ren mentally. He'll go after her physically, but she will be the one to initiate an emotional connection. She pretty much has to, she has to prove that he's not gone, mostly to herself. Many believe that if Reylo will happen it will be because Ren manages to wear Rey down by bombarding her mind, but I'm sure it will be the other way around. Rey will go in looking for the light and it will backfire spectacularly. Ren will be the reluctant one, SHE will wear HIM down. Let's see people yelling "Rey is a victim!!" then.

@Starchaser

Wow! Your analysis about the parallel between the bridge and the cliff scenes is just brillant! cheers And I see that you like writing long posts, like me Wink

Regarding the fact that Rey looked back because she may have felt culprit toward Kylo after what she did, I think that you're right. I would recommend you to look at the deleted scene "Finn will be fine". I wrote my first post on that forum about it and @Xylo Ren  wrote an interesting one about that scene too (see p. 26). We both pointed out in our posts that Rey is probably reaching out to Ren during that scene as we all know how injured he is at that moment. I specifically focused on the "heartbeats" to be heard during that scene, making the supposition that Rey was briefly scared to not hear Kylo's heartbeat any more for a while and then relieved to hear it again. I came to that idea for two reasons:
1) When Rey looks back before entering the MF, the official subtitles indicates the presence of a "heartbeat"
2) I saw a parrallel between this deleted scene and Padme's death scene:
ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 11 - Page 3 Screen13

Considering her reactions in this deleted scene, I can imagine how awful it would have been for her if Kylo had died and how culprit she would have felt. So I agree with you that her behavior toward Kylo will be much different in Episode VIII, i.e. Kylo is injured or in danger in some way, I think that she would care for him this time, like Belle did after the Beast was injured during the fight agains the wolves. Like you, I guess that even if Kylo will hunt her on the island as he did on SKB, she'll be the one who will struggle emotionally to earn his trust and good feelings this time. If there is a second cliff moment during their battle on the island, I would bet that Kylo won't make any proposal this time and will be emotionally distant.

Regarding Kylo's trajectory in Ep. VIII, I think that there are two possibilities:
1) Either he'll feel so betrayed by Rey's behavior that he'll fall even more under Snoke's grip and will go darker and darker. Then, it would follow the plot of Beauty& Beast 2 with Kylo trying hard to follow Snoke's advice to cut any emotional connection to Rey (cf. the song Don't fall in love in B&B 2), so the only way would be to kill her to avoid any temptation.
2) Or he'll begin his path back to the light while Rey will struggle with the dark side

I believe that Ren will indeed act much colder toward Rey when they meet again and that she'll be the one to try to reach him emotionally BUT I don't think that she'll wear him down until he comes back to the light. I rather believe in the theory that Belle may become the Beast and that the Beast may become Belle in the course/by the end of Ep. VIII.

Regarding Rey, I think that her struggle with the dark side may be extremely hard to handle for her, so that it wouldn't be impossible that she becomes the Beast at the end of Ep. VIII:
1) I don't think Snoke wants her dead because the novelization makes it clear that he may be very interested in her power
2) She is indeed pure & bright on the one hand but she's also clearly drawn to power & destruction on the other hand
3) We know that she'll get injured "physically and/or emotionally" so that it will make her an easy prey for the dark side
ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 11 - Page 3 2713

Regarding Kylo, a lot of people seem to think that he absolutely wants to  have Rey on the dark side with him. I rather believe the contrary because there are a lot of evidence that suggest that he doesn't feel good with the line of the FO and the dark side in general. One of the most evident clue to me is the symbolism regarding the rebirth of the sun, knowing that sun & son have the same meaning and that Ben means son in Hebrew. Here's a wonderful video gathering all important clues about that:

To describe what I think about Rey & Kylo's trajectories in Ep. 8, I would chose the painting "The pull to the light" that was painted for the SW Celebration:
ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 11 - Page 3 Tumblr12
What strikes me in this painting are the following element:
- Rey looks extremely young & pure while Kylo appears older and experienced
- Rey looks drawn to the saber in a way that her face expression conveys some fascination. In this painting, Rey makes me think to a young and inexperienced person who discovered a fabulous object, a sort of magic lamp, that will change her life forever. The lightsaber indeed represents a call to adventure and a bridge to a new world for her but not necessarily in a good way. The lightsaber brings power, a power that this young & inexperienced scavenger who lived on Jakku never had. So the lightsaber can also be associated to the temptation to misuse the power conveyed, what already happened during the fight on SKB.
- Kylo looks drawn to Rey but his face expression is much more restrained and even melancholic. The way he looks at her makes me think to someone who looks after someone else from the shadows, like a sort of guardian. The fact is that Kylo knows all about the implications of power and the consequences of the dark side, and I don't get the feeling that he feels all right with that. My interpretation is that the more Rey would struggle with the dark side, the more it could push Kylo to come back to the light.
- The way Kylo looks at Rey reminds me also a little of the way Mr. Darcy looks at Elizabeth while he was already in love with her - or at least drawn to her - but she didn't know it yet:
ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 11 - Page 3 2610
So the question for Kylo is: does he really want a person so pure and bright like Rey to be consumate by the dark side and become a monster?

As Kylo and Rey have the characteristics of both Belle & the Beast, I wouldn't be surprised if they would somehow exchange the roles by the end of Ep. VIII, Rey becoming the Beast and Ren becoming Belle. I think that these two are meant to save each other equally, so why not Rey saving Ren from the dark side in Ep.VIII and then Ren coming back for Rey by saving her from the dark side in Ep. IX?

What's more, even if Darth Vader was redeemed, this happened only at the very last moment so the SW franchise explored his path to the dark side but not really his path to redemption as he died short after. Some clues shows that Kylo in TFA seems to parallel Jean Valjean from les Miserables and Snape from Harry Potter, both characters' journey consisting in seeking and earning redemption by saving/caring for a specific person.

Last edited by reylo1992 on Sat 01 Oct 2016, 6:50 pm; edited 4 times in total
reylo1992
reylo1992
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Sat 01 Oct 2016, 4:55 pm

For everyone who wants to check out full analysis of Call to the Light painting:

It's truly fantastic, super well researched and visually stunning.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Sat 01 Oct 2016, 4:56 pm

Personally I thought that Rey's looking back is far too quick to be anything truly meaningful. It comes off more like a "is anyone following us" gesture. I'm also not convinced that Rey feels any guilt about beating Kylo down. She has precisely zero reasons to feel sympathetic towards him at this point, and while the book has that bit about her hearing Snoke's voice in her head, it's not in the film.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

http://yggdrasille.com

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Sat 01 Oct 2016, 5:05 pm

Saracene wrote:Personally I thought that Rey's looking back is far too quick to be anything truly meaningful. It comes off more like a "is anyone following us" gesture. I'm also not convinced that Rey feels any guilt about beating Kylo down. She has precisely zero reasons to feel sympathetic towards him at this point, and while the book has that bit about her hearing Snoke's voice in her head, it's not in the film.
@Saracene

Oh, I picked up on it right away and novelization (kids or ADF) says she looked back for Kylo. I don't think she expected him to follow them and since the forest was empty she definitely didn't expect anyone else. It was concern.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 Sat 01 Oct 2016, 5:42 pm

Saracene wrote:Personally I thought that Rey's looking back is far too quick to be anything truly meaningful. It comes off more like a "is anyone following us" gesture. I'm also not convinced that Rey feels any guilt about beating Kylo down. She has precisely zero reasons to feel sympathetic towards him at this point, and while the book has that bit about her hearing Snoke's voice in her head, it's not in the film.
@Saracene

Yeah it's true that that moment when she looks back goes very fast. However I don't think that this is meaningless because:

1) My impression is that when J.J.Abrams inserted Reylo clues, it was made in some way that it goes so fast that the audience can't see it from the first viewing or at least you can't get immediately what it means, i.e. this one is very telling to me:
ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 11 - Page 3 610
Honestly, who was able to notice that from the very first viewing? Personally, I didn't because that moment when their bodys are so close that they seem to form one goes so fast that you can hardly notice it - even less the heart in the background - if you don't focus on that.

2) The fact that she looks back could mean that she just want to check that nobody is following. However the fact that they included the line "heartbeat" as the official subtitle must have a meaning, whatever it is:
ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 11 - Page 3 811

3) I don't know to what extent she feels sympathy toward Kylo or not at that point but I find it hard to see their confrontation as a traditional hero vs. villain fight because:
ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 11 - Page 3 2110
ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 11 - Page 3 2511
ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 11 - Page 3 2910
ARCHIVE: Rey and Kylo - Beauty and the Beast, Scavenger and the Monstah, Their Bond, His Love, Her Confused Feelings - 11 - Page 3 3311
reylo1992
reylo1992
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Sat 01 Oct 2016, 5:45 pm

vaderito wrote:
@Saracene

Oh, I picked up on it right away and novelization (kids or ADF) says she looked back for Kylo. I don't think she expected him to follow them and since the forest was empty she definitely didn't expect anyone else. It was concern.
@vaderito

I'd just expect it to be filmed more like a concern if it was in fact concern. Like the movie pausing more, cutting to an expression on Rey's face etc. Instead it's just extremely on-the-go. I know the movie is fast-paced as heck, but still, it does find time to cut to the characters' emotions up-close.

More importantly, I just see no reason for Rey feeling concerned for Kylo, at this point in the story.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by vaderito Sat 01 Oct 2016, 5:51 pm

@Saracene I think there's a reason. Ground opened between them and she saw he was wounded but couldn't see how badly though obviously bad. he's Han's son so that fact wasn't lost on her. Also, she couldn't give it a long look back since the planet was crumbling and Finn needed immediate medical attention. But they didn't have to show that she looked back. Chewie didn't.
vaderito
vaderito
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by reylo1992 Sat 01 Oct 2016, 6:26 pm

@Saracene

I would add to what @vaderito wrote that the junior novelization precises that she "glance[d] back to Kylo", not Kylo Ren or Ren but Kylo. I think this is a small but important detail because if I remember well he is always referred as Kylo Ren or Ren but never as Kylo in both novelizations. By calling him with his first name at that precise moment, the writer probably wanted to suggest some new proximity between them but in a subtle way and I think that so did the film. That's why, it may be the reason why they didn't film her face in close-up but rather showed her glance back very briefly, far from the camera and with some hard clue to notice  for the audience (the heartbeat).
reylo1992
reylo1992
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Sat 01 Oct 2016, 6:37 pm

@reylo1992 I don't put any stock in novelization - to me the movie is the only thing that counts.

But yes I agree Rey looking back is meant to imply a connection between the characters. I just don't see it as a concern on Rey's part. I don't think it's likely she was feeling sentimental about Kylo being Han's son considering she learned about it in the same scene she saw Kylo murder him. She called Kylo a monster, she'd have blasted him away without a thought, she was fighting to kill. Was she likely to feel bad about a guy who's just sliced up her friend? Not really IMO.
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Oct 2016, 6:41 pm

vaderito wrote:@Saracene I think there's a reason. Ground opened between them and she saw he was wounded but couldn't see how badly though obviously bad. he's Han's son so that fact wasn't lost on her. Also, she couldn't give it a long look back since the planet was crumbling and Finn needed immediate medical attention. But they didn't have to show that she looked back. Chewie didn't.
@vaderito

imo the ground opening up was the Force saying "Since you kids won't play nicely, I'm just going to separate you two."

Back to top Go down

Post by Saracene Sat 01 Oct 2016, 6:43 pm

WhatGirl wrote:
vaderito wrote:@Saracene I think there's a reason. Ground opened between them and she saw he was wounded but couldn't see how badly though obviously bad. he's Han's son so that fact wasn't lost on her. Also, she couldn't give it a long look back since the planet was crumbling and Finn needed immediate medical attention. But they didn't have to show that she looked back. Chewie didn't.
@vaderito

imo the ground opening up was the Force saying "Since you kids won't play nicely, I'm just going to separate you two."
@WhatGirl

I like to think of it as a Gap of Obvious Symbolism Wink
Saracene
Saracene
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Jakku Sat 01 Oct 2016, 6:53 pm

reylo1992 wrote:@Saracene

I would add to what @vaderito wrote that the junior novelization precises that she "glance[d] back to Kylo", not Kylo Ren or Ren but Kylo. I think this is a small but important detail because if I remember well he is always referred as Kylo Ren or Ren but never as Kylo in both novelizations. By calling him with his first name at that precise moment, the writer probably wanted to suggest some new proximity between them but in a subtle way and I think that so did the film. That's why, it may be the reason why they didn't film her face in close-up but rather showed her glance back very briefly, far from the camera and with some hard clue to notice  for the audience (the heartbeat).
@reylo1992

The junior novelisation has Kylo being rescued by Hux and leaving Rey and Finn to their fates, with a lot about Kylo sneering at the girl's stupidity.  The adult novelisation (I believe) has Rey seeing that Kylo is being rescued even as she boards the Falcon. Both books suggest that Rey sees Kylo being rescued by Hux.  So I think that the film was intended to have the Kylo rescue shown on-screen.

OTOH, the discrepancies also suggest that the authors weren't given too much instruction about what-happened-when, and filled in the blanks from their own imagination.  So the film may have gone off on another tack.  I think the brief glance back could have been shorthand for a) Rey being reluctant to abandon a wounded and vulnerable person on a dying planet, b) Rey anxious that they're going to be attacked, or c) Rey seeing the landing of Hux's ship.

I'm undecided.
Jakku
Jakku
Jedi Padawan
Jedi Padawan

Back to top Go down

Post by SoloSideCousin Sat 01 Oct 2016, 8:37 pm

WhatGirl wrote:
@vaderito

@WhatGirl

I agree. :-)

And also ... Best.Gift.Ever. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
SoloSideCousin
SoloSideCousin
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat 01 Oct 2016, 9:32 pm

I'm not sure what Rey's glance back was about but I'm not sold on it being a sign of concern for Kylo. At the very least, she might not have wanted his death on her conscience given that she'd just stopped herself from killing him. If there's a force bond in play then I could accept it as evidence for that when watched in retrospect.

I tend not to give weight to anything in the novelisations because if it's not on screen it can't be vital to the story. The general audience will only be concerned with the movie and anything not heavily signposted will go over a lot of people's heads. People tend to cherry pick parts of the novelisations as evidence for Reylo and disregard other parts that might lend credence to other theories. I will go with what's on screen as that is 100% canon.

Back to top Go down

Post by IoJovi Sat 01 Oct 2016, 9:44 pm

Mrs Ben Solo wrote:I'm not sure what Rey's glance back was about but I'm not sold on it being a sign of concern for Kylo. At the very least, she might not have wanted his death on her conscience given that she'd just stopped herself from killing him. If there's a force bond in play then I could accept it as evidence for that when watched in retrospect.

I tend not to give weight to anything in the novelisations because if it's not on screen it can't be vital to the story. The general audience will only be concerned with the movie and anything not heavily signposted will go over a lot of people's heads. People tend to cherry pick parts of the novelisations as evidence for Reylo and disregard other parts that might lend credence to other theories. I will go with what's on screen as that is 100% canon.
@Mrs Ben Solo

Like most things in TFA, I don't think Rey glancing back at Kylo was accidental, and it was meant to be noticed.  I can't tell you exactly why she did it, but to me it inspires a feeling more so than anything I can put into actual words.  I do think there were more thoughts exchanged on that cliffside and if she could see feelings from him that weren't exactly platonic directed at her, it'd explain not only her anger, but also her confusion.

In short, I would have looked back too.
IoJovi
IoJovi
Force Ghost
Force Ghost

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next